daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 21st, 2009, 01:33 PM   #61
QatPhils
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D

Likes (Received): 11

You posted some old pics of the new airport.
QatPhils no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2009, 07:19 PM   #62
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

??? what ? these are the newst construction pictures !!
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:44 PM   #63
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
Spicy, i understand your point of view, people could have all the fun they want... but i dont see drinking as fun.... our fans could have loads of fun without drinking (since its forbidden and all..)
Most other people in the world seem to disagree with you, that makes it your problem I think if you want to organize a world cup!
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:47 PM   #64
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
This is Khalifa International Stadium, it has a 50,000 seat capacity, it has been used for the opening and closing ceremony of the 15th Asian Games Doha 2006, it is currentlly under renovation and expansion to hold 70,000 seats for the AFC Asian Football Cup Qatar 2011.

Before the Asian Games, you could see Aspire Zone (Sport City) is very active in preperation for the opening of the games...
1 down, 9 to go? LOL! Qatar doesn't even have 8 cities, does it? How do you want to build 10 40,000+ stadiums in a country with only 600,000 people? Stop fooling yourself, you are no where near capable of hosting a world cup, and you will never be, because of the size of your country. Even my country, the Netherlands, with a population of 16 million people, is teaming up with Belgium, simply because we are realistic and we know we can't pull it of alone!
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:57 PM   #65
Kuwaiti

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
1 down, 9 to go? LOL! Qatar doesn't even have 8 cities, does it? How do you want to build 10 40,000+ stadiums in a country with only 600,000 people? Stop fooling yourself, you are no where near capable of hosting a world cup, and you will never be, because of the size of your country. Even my country, the Netherlands, with a population of 16 million people, is teaming up with Belgium, simply because we are realistic and we know we can't pull it of alone!
So what?
What if Qatar has only 600,000 people?
Who do you think makes up most of the fans in world cup events? The locals or the foreign tourists?
As for the stadiums, its very easy to achieve. Qatar has lots of money to invest into sports. It is literally the number one country in sports right now in the Middle East. They have the best football leagues, and some of the best football teams too.
Expanding stadiums to 40,000 capacity is the least of their worries. Trust me on this one.
You are from Netherlands, and I take you havent seen the Asian Games 2006 opening and closing ceremony: arguably the best sporting ceremony in history of the world.
And you havent seen how well they managed that event, have you?
And about logistics, a New Doha Intl Airport is currently under construction. Qatar Airways is expanding its fleet and is becoming one of the best airliners in the world right now.
Theyre building a new highway system.
And in a decade's time there will be a new GCC railway system linking all gulf countries together.
Qatar is building lots of hotels and resorts to accomodate the influx of tourists lately. It is becoming a hotter hit than Dubai / Abu Dhabi.
Yet youre completetely writing them off.
Kuwaiti no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2009, 01:33 PM   #66
Phevos
Madrid 2020

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuwaiti View Post
So what?
It is literally the number one country in sports right now in the Middle East. They have the best football leagues, and some of the best football teams too.
!!!!!!!!! ????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!

A league of +35 yrs players who want to earn as much as they can before they retire isn't the best at all...
Having money doesn't mean you are number one or two...
Phevos no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:39 PM   #67
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
you wrote 600,000 is our population but you forgot the 1 before the 6... shows have nieve you are.. its 1,600,000 dude.... people could easily fill up stadiums.. Qatari's love football.

And as my brother Kuwaiti said, "Expanding stadiums to 40,000 capacity is the least of their worries" which is TRUE, we have 3 stadiums outside the capital (Doha) which are in Al-Rayyan, Al-Wakrah and Al-khor which are all 30,000 seats, could easily be expanded to 40,000..... and building stadiums in Messied, Ras-Laffan, Ruwais, Dukhan and Thikhira is not a problem to the government and the Qatar Football Association.

Doha metro and Qatar Railways in general will start construction soon....

[IMG]http://i41.************/2vii1qv.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:17 PM   #68
Quintana
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1158

Best bid ever!
Quintana no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:00 PM   #69
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phevos View Post

A league of +35 yrs players who want to earn as much as they can before they retire isn't the best at all...
He said "SPORTS" and yeas we do have good teams in all types of sports, we also have good hosting skills, we hosted the 15th Asian Games in 2006, the 3rd West Asian Games in 2005 and the Gulf Cup in 2004
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:01 PM   #70
QatPhils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintana View Post
Best bid ever!
That's making fun isn't it! If nothing to say, then don't because it spoils the thread.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:34 PM   #71
Phevos
Madrid 2020

Quote:
.. its 1,600,000 dude.... people could easily fill up stadiums.. Qatari's love football.
of which less than 400,000 are qatari citizens, so you should have accepted the first figure
Phevos no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:51 PM   #72
love-qatar

Likes (Received): 562

its jest in the biginning and we all will see what Qatar will do
and after the world cup 2022 we will bid again to host the olimpic games in 2020
love-qatar no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:58 PM   #73
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
of which less than 400,000 are qatari citizens, so you should have accepted the first figure

NO, Acctually its 700,000.... in the between January and February there where 73,000 births here in Doha of which 40,000 where Qatari's.....

Love-Qatar, Yes Doha is bidding for the 2020 Olympics... this was a promis from Shiekh Tamim thats we will be for the Games again.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:01 PM   #74
QatPhils

Quote:
okay, u say, u wern't specific then, wat useless jk, this i laugh at u not specific.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:58 PM   #75
Phevos
Madrid 2020

Though I didn't understand, thanks
Phevos no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:33 PM   #76
Kuwaiti

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

But you misunderstood. Im not comparing it to the world level. In middle eastern standards, Qatar has the best football league in the region.
Plus...
Did you know Qatar also have a FIFA-sanctioned Futsal league?
Its one of the first countries in the middle east, besides Iran and Turkey, to have its own Futsal league (first Arab nation).
The Qatari Futsal league is officially recognized and sanctioned by FIFA and its laws of the game. So Im not talking about an indoor soccer league with its own sets of rules, its actually internationally recognized and it follows the world governing body rules (unlike American indoor soccer league which plays its own version of the game).
So Qatar is well ahead of many countries in the whole "world of football". Not just field football but also indoor football.
As for field football (11 vs 11), believe me, I watch the QSL more than I watch my own Kuwaiti football league.
In fact, in May Im buying tickets to attend the Emir Cup final in Doha. This is how popular QSL is.
The second most popular soccer league in this region is United Arab Emirates football league, followed by Saudi Professional League.
But Qatar ranks among the best.
And dont give me that crap about 35+ players. The league hosts a variety of different players from Asia, who are all stars. The Iraqi team which won Asian Cup 2007 - almost all of them - played in the QSL.
Plus so many Iranian pros, Saudis, Bahrainis, Kuwaitis, Omanis, etc.
Fantastic country. Fantastic football.

Qatar's national sport is football. The Middle East is the most "football crazy" place on Earth, following Europe and South America. Its more football-crazy than North America (who have hosted a world cup before) and Australasia. So believe me, Qatar CAN do it, and hopefully they win. I wanna see a gulf country hosting a world cup in my lifetime. And itll be one of the best, that I assure you.
Kuwaiti no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:20 AM   #77
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Yeah the Emir Cup is a very important event in Qatar, Khalif stadium is always full, yes there are also lots of Saudi's and Kuwaiti's that attend normals matches here in Qatar, they just love football. So if Qatar's population is not enough, lots of people from Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, UAE and Oman will attend the world cup to watch the matches here in Qatar, and if Saudi arabia was the team that is acctually playing at this particular event (WoW, you can't imagine the parties they will make here in Qatar).
Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:44 AM   #78
woozoo

Likes (Received): 188

lolol irl
woozoo no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM   #79
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by QatPhils View Post
Read about sports in qatar if there were any problems in security, Qatar held the world's second largest sporting event and there were no problems at all, and spent millions in its security.
I don't think Asian Games are the second largest sporting event !!!!!

1 FIFA World Cup
2 Summer Olympic Games
3 IRB Rugby World Cup
4 UEFA Euro
5 Winter Olympic Games
We can add: IAAF World Championships in Athletics, NFL Superbowl, UEFA Champions League Final ....

Quote:
The 2007 Rugby World Cup is now the world's third-largest sporting event, behind only the FIFA World Cup and the Summer Olympic Games. Two million tickets have been sold for the tournament with an expected television audience of four billion in over 200 countries.

By comparison, the NFL estimated its worldwide TV audience for Super Bowl XLI at approximately one billion.

University of California, Berkeley.
Anyway, like said in this thread, Football Competitions are made for fans (men & women), they travel from a city to another, visiting the host country and cities, a lot of fans come without tickets, only for having fun and enjoying the atmosphere, they stay in the bars or in the streets and drink a lot, we saw it in France in 1998 !!!!
I Think it will be impossible for a small country like Qatar (1,6 M people) to receive maybe 1 M fans during the competition (3 weeks) and it will be impossible to prevent alcohol in streets, public drunkenness and security troubles.

Germany 2006

After the Party

France 98

Huge Numbers, that's why FIFA world cup goes to big countries or co-hosts !!!!
Quote:
2006 FIFA World Cup™ in numbers
The 18 th FIFA World Cup
Total
3,359,439 spectators at 64 games in the 12 stadiums -> 2 nd highest on-site audience after USA 1994 (higher due to bigger capacity)
An average 52,491 spectators watched each match in one of the 12 stadiums
Over 15 million applications for tickets on offer to the public
All 64 matches sold out
99.5% capacity of each stadium filled
Training camps:
70 rented training venues
1,500 training units held by the 32 teams
480 doping tests before and during the event
Operations
Staffing
85,185 people worked on behalf of the LOC during the event, among those
279 employed LOC staff at headquarters and venues
280 temporary LOC staff
16,440 security stewards in the 12 stadia (average of 1,370 per match)
additional 2,760 security stewards in team camps, headquarters, official hotels and training camps
8,000 medical staff
2,500 artists for opening and closing ceremony
15,000 volunteers
800 hostesses
80 travel and event services employees
400 CTS employees (OC ticketing provider)
Volunteers
15,000 in total
62% male 38% female
58% under 30, but also 500 retired people
80 - age of eldest volunteer
9% foreigners
45 different languages covered incl. Hindu, Korean and Japanese
Accreditation
240,000 registered accreditations
Security
an average of 1,370 security stewards used per game
between 500 - 2,500 ad hoc controls per game at stadium entrance
87,680 total security employees
100,000 confiscated objects
Stadia
96 ha new turf in the 12 FIFA World Cup stadia
14,000m2 artificial turf
20,000m2 of goal netting
24 extra pitch mowers
115 groundsmen
Transportation
650 Hyundai cars plus 250 rental Hyundai cars
1,000 professional drivers and 1,000 volunteer drivers
3,600 bus days for teams, VIPs and Media shuttles
60% of spectators used public means of transportations
15 million people used the train during the tournament
Public Catering Concessions
Over 20 million euros in total sales
1,056,000 litres beer sold in the 12 stadia
5,500,000 drinks in returnable cups sold in the 12 stadia

MediaOperations
Record 18,850 media representatives accredited (incl. technicians)
4,250 print/internet journalists and editors
1,200 photographers
13,400 TV commentators, camera teams, technicians
Alongside the FIFA World Cup

First official public viewing programme - the Fan Fest 2006 FIFA World Cup
15 event locations
18 million spectators
19,000 people involved
3.5 million litres of beer sold
1.75 million litres of non-alcoholic drinks sold
3.5 million sausages sold (nearly one in five visitors bought a sausage)
15,000 media representatives covered event on-site
23 merchandise shops, 1 superstore with 600m2
4,000 hours entertainment programme (incl. broadcast of all 58 matches possible to show)
720 hours programme with sponsor content
39 giant screens
1.5 million watt sound system
3 million watt lighting system
350 trucks for stages, giant screens, scaffolding, sound, lightning
23,000 m2 of FIFA World Cup design decorations
PS: The partnership FIFA-Budweiser is not a probleme, in France, commercials for alcohol are forbidden (in sports events) so Budweiser wasn't there (Stadiums and TV), like Amstel or Heineken for UEFA competitions.

Last edited by parcdesprinces; March 23rd, 2009 at 10:15 AM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:16 AM   #80
woozoo

Likes (Received): 188

I think its just a matter of time before the WC ends up in the middle east, most probably a joint bid between the oil states. When that happens, there will not be the alcohol fueled scenes we have witnessed in past tournaments. That doesnt mean there wont be a party, it just means there will be a sober party. I honestly think FIFA is serious about making the cup a truly global event, and the arab/muslim/middle eastern world will get its turn. The rest of us will have to give up drinking to respect their customs when that happens.

But for now, disregarding everything else, there is one problem which makes the Qatar bid impossible -

FIFA will want all the stadiums filled, so that means it will want around 3 million spectators. Along with the ones who get tickets, there will be the ones that dont, so I think you could expect around 4 million visitors.

Where are these people going to sleep while they are in Qatar??? 2 foreigners will bunk down with each Qatari?
Sure qatar could build hotels, but who is going to staff them? And what a complete waste of money to build accommodation for 4 million which will sit completely empty in the future.
Qatar doesnt have the logistics to feed an extra 4 million people for a whole month.

Put simply, its too small. No amount of money can change that. I think they will require a joint bid if they want to host in the future.
woozoo no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022