daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #901
qatarson
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 471
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
Looks good, but why is there this push to house construction workers in defined areas in the GCC? It does give that exclusion zone feeling and alienates those workers.

Certainly is a decent sized project though.
This is very enough to send report to admins especially alreayd posted warning 2 days ago.
qatarson no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #902
Walbanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,241
Likes (Received): 1111

It has only been done because Qatar was shamed into providing better facilities though international exposure of the labour practices in the Gulf region.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #903
Solopop
Solopop
 
Solopop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,113
Likes (Received): 99

@ qatarson How does that desrve a ban? God what are you smoking!?

You are the most ignoarant and naive person I've seen.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #904
qatarson
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 471
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
@ qatarson How does that desrve a ban? God what are you smoking!?

You are the most ignoarant and naive person I've seen.
you soon will know you already been warned
qatarson no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #905
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
Then if you go by that Australia far more deserves it than Qatar!
Well Australia already hosted the Olympics, i am talking about the Olympics specifically in this case.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #906
Solopop
Solopop
 
Solopop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,113
Likes (Received): 99

I'd like to also point out, 75.9% of Qatars population are immigrants.
Life expectancy is 75.6.
For every 2 men there is one women.
Qatar failed to make a place on any charity lists (wikipedia :P)
For literacy you recieved a mark of 93.1
Qatar still uses the death penalty
Solopop no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #907
Solopop
Solopop
 
Solopop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,113
Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatarson View Post
you soon will know you already been warned
I wish I could punch you atm.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #908
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
I'd like to also point out, 75.9% of Qatars population are immigrants.
Life expectancy is 75.6.
For every 2 men there is one women.
Qatar failed to make a place on any charity lists (wikipedia :P)
For literacy you recieved a mark of 93.1
Qatar still uses the death penalty
This doesn't help you you know, now i know what type of background you come from.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
I wish I could punch you atm.
Oh this really doesn't help you.

-----


Last edited by Qatar Son 333; June 17th, 2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: =)
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #909
Will737
...
 
Will737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Me!bourne
Posts: 889
Likes (Received): 36

Actually If you go to this page: https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/qa.html it has some very interesting (and surprising) figures about Qatar, such as; Unemployment rate - 0.5% ranked 2nd in the world. It also said that its ranked 123 in the world for public debt. I guess people can't really use the debt against Qatar. You can also compare Qatar to Australia and the USA.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #910
gavstar00
Registered User
 
gavstar00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 371
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
I accept your point of view, The money build's up Stadiums, Arenas and Sport academies, but it also encourages programs to build up the future youth into a sporting youth. I think there is high possibility of this bid due to strong PR. The bid is willing to host a Family-Oriented compact World Cup, certainly a unique edition. (Your 2 cents )

Take note we hosted U-20 World Cup in 1995 and 1988 Asian Cup.
That's definitely one major plus point of any world cup - to build up facilities and encourage the participation of locals in the beautiful game for generations after. My point would be why should this be then confined solely to Qatar?

A joint bid were held with the UAE, it would have far more chance of success given the benefit to the entire region as opposed to just one country.

I can't help but think that the bid, although serious on Qatar's part, is merely an opportunity to flaunt their wealth to the world. If it were to go ahead, surely its on a par with China's olympics in terms of crazy money being thrown into an event who's legacy would be unsustainable afterwards.
gavstar00 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #911
Solopop
Solopop
 
Solopop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,113
Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
This doesn't help you you know, now i know what type of background you come from.
And what backgroud would that be?
Solopop no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #912
T74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 622
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavstar00 View Post
That's definitely one major plus point of any world cup - to build up facilities and encourage the participation of locals in the beautiful game for generations after. My point would be why should this be then confined solely to Qatar?

A joint bid were held with the UAE, it would have far more chance of success given the benefit to the entire region as opposed to just one country.

I can't help but think that the bid, although serious on Qatar's part, is merely an opportunity to flaunt their wealth to the world. If it were to go ahead, surely its on a par with China's olympics in terms of crazy money being thrown into an event who's legacy would be unsustainable afterwards.
tend to agree with you - as an Australian I am very worried about the US bid, but that would be greatly surpassed by the fear I would have competing against a joint gulf states bid (personally I think that would be a near lock).

as a side note I heard recently there is talk that the Olympics may consider switching from city bids to national ones in the future, because they are getting so big now that it is harder and harder for a single city to reasonably fund it, host it, and manage the legacy.

reality is this is already being fudged (Sydney 2000 had numerous cities hosting football games, Beijing 2008 sailing at Qingdao and equestrian at HK), and I reckon we will start seeing more of this with future bids

Reason for mentioning this is the WC is a massive event, bigger than the Olympics, and it would be a massive task for Qatar to take on alone given its size
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #913
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,778
Likes (Received): 10341

Have heard no suggestion the Olympics will become a national event. Football and events which need a large body of water are nearly always outside of the main city; that's nothing new.

Re: a gulf bid, which teams would qualify automatically for the tournament were this to go ahead? Another can of worms.
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #914
gavstar00
Registered User
 
gavstar00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 371
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Re: a gulf bid, which teams would qualify automatically for the tournament were this to go ahead? Another can of worms.
Wouldn't be any worse than Japan/Korea in 2002 though would it?

It'd strengthen their chances no end of winning the bid if they went in together - The Gulf World Cup definitely has a ring to it and FIFA would more than likely put their own spin on it in terms of it being the first time the tournament has come anywhere near the region and all the fanfare that would come with it
gavstar00 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #915
T74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 622
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Have heard no suggestion the Olympics will become a national event. Football and events which need a large body of water are nearly always outside of the main city; that's nothing new.

Re: a gulf bid, which teams would qualify automatically for the tournament were this to go ahead? Another can of worms.
the discussion is very small, but I was surprised to hear it nontheless. Sydney and Beijing came through okay, but I've heard Greece took a few whacks financially

on the team, agree, and it would take a fair bit of maturity for everyone to accept only one/two would get auto, and the rest just accept the honor of "just" being a host.
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #916
gavstar00
Registered User
 
gavstar00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 371
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
on the team, agree, and it would take a fair bit of maturity for everyone to accept only one/two would get auto, and the rest just accept the honor of "just" being a host.
There's only be two - Qatar's national team and the UAE football team. FIFA have already set a precidence here in 2002 so I can't imgaine that would hinder any joint bid
gavstar00 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #917
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,209
Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatarson View Post
This is very enough to send report to admins especially alreayd posted warning 2 days ago.
It is a completely reasonable observation. In fact the policy to separate laborers from the city in which they do their labor in confined camps can arguably be seen as implicitly racist.

I would like to believe that Qatar will not use similar methods as the UAE but everything I have read points to them doing so. Is there a minimum wage? Are unions allowed? Are they allowed to openly protest their wages? What is the average salary for construction laborers right now?
__________________
Stephane Charbonnier, “I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.”
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #918
Kenni
What?
 
Kenni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: LATAM
Posts: 27,219

This is the last call to order. I will revise this thread and act accordingly. "trollish" participations and/or overall bad attitude will be dealt with.

It is considered also "trolling" to go to certains threads only to desqualify the theme or to just post negatively.
Kenni no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #919
Archbishop
Registered User
 
Archbishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 642
Likes (Received): 145

I feel like Qatar would be nice, but they chose a bad year to bid since the US and Australian bids are so strong.
Archbishop no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #920
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

National Pride


The Olympic rings ready for the Doha 2020 Olympic bid.


Large open spaces ready for a large scale event (World cup & Olympics)


A Luxurious Bid


Aspire Zone plaza


Expect Amazing !
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu