daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #921
jacoboy7
Registered User
 
jacoboy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth
Posts: 482
Likes (Received): 0

See thats what Im saying.
sorry if this seems trollish, I dont mean it to be, im just trying to make my point accross.

"A Luxurious bid"
Yet you say its a Family Orientated bid...?

Yes you have ultimate open spaces, but if you some how get WC or Olympics, after them, those spaces will be empty, and pointless.

Honestly, I think Qatar should wait a few more years, grow its population to a level where it will be of significant levels to actually make use of the stadiums, open areas and facilities Qatar can provide.
__________________

"Scientists discover the Unknown, Architects design the Unique, Engineers create the previously Impossible"

jacoboy7 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #922
Melb_aviator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,207
Likes (Received): 432

Honestly there is no point commenting in here if you do not agree with a view and then continue to accuse everyone of troll behaviour. Absolutely out of order to claim that, but if thats the way you want to be, we will all just leave them to post what they want and no one else look at it.

All the best in your bid guys. Just must say I am very dissapointed in the attitudes of some.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #923
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoboy7 View Post
"A Luxurious bid"
Yet you say its a Family Orientated bid...?
I don't see whats wrong in adding prestige and elegance to a bid, besides it will leave the country shining after the World Cup, the Family-Oriented how ever send a "message", and that message is that Alcohol and partial-nudity will not be allowed in the stadiums, outside the stadiums is another story, they could do what ever they want in their fan zones and the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoboy7 View Post
Yes you have ultimate open spaces, but if you some how get WC or Olympics, after them, those spaces will be empty, and pointless.
The open spaces are in place in certain areas, they are remnants of the Asian Games, so hosting an Olympics or a World Cup and more more events should fill them up every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoboy7 View Post
Honestly, I think Qatar should wait a few more years, grow its population to a level where it will be of significant levels to actually make use of the stadiums, open areas and facilities Qatar can provide.
If thats what you really think, I accept that, our population is certainly small (will grow to 3 million by 2022). Yet we promise to offer an incredible World Cup, Egypt and Morocco have bid before but they failed to get enough attention. most stadiums will be downgraded from 40-45 K to 20-25 K size, which according to the officials is ideal to the population at that time and will eliminate the venues as white elephants and will provide a lasting legacy for the country and the local communities of these stadiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
Honestly there is no point commenting in here if you do not agree with a view and then continue to accuse everyone of troll behaviour. Absolutely out of order to claim that, but if thats the way you want to be, we will all just leave them to post what they want and no one else look at it.

All the best in your bid guys. Just must say I am very dissapointed in the attitudes of some.
Feel free to do what you wish to, we will keep updating this thread and if your not fine with that feel free to bang your head to a wall.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #924
SuCumaethor
Registered User
 
SuCumaethor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 43
Likes (Received): 0

I have question for Qatar Son 333. If you have to chose between World Cup 2022 and Doha 2020 Olympics... What would you do/pick? And what do you think - If Qatar wins WC 2022 do you still have chance to get Olympics games?
SuCumaethor no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #925
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #926
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuCumaethor View Post
I have question for Qatar Son 333. If you have to chose between World Cup 2022 and Doha 2020 Olympics... What would you do/pick? And what do you think - If Qatar wins WC 2022 do you still have chance to get Olympics games?
IMO, I would pick the Olympics, its way easier to handle.

Brazil did it, why cant Qatar ? Brazil is hosting the 2014 World Cup and Rio De Janeiro the 2016 Olympics.
No city got it from the first bid, Doha's first bid was for the 2016 Olympics. if we get the 2020 Olympics we might see the World Cup 2022 venues being used 2 years before the World Cup. so we will have construction starting earlier.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 01:22 AM   #927
SuCumaethor
Registered User
 
SuCumaethor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 43
Likes (Received): 0

I was expecting that you say WC (because your avatar)
I congratulate you on your effort to promote Qatar's bids
SuCumaethor no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #928
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuCumaethor View Post
I was expecting that you say WC (because your avatar)
I congratulate you on your effort to promote Qatar's bids
We have some time until we start an Olympics campaign but for now and until the 2nd of December 2010 we will focus on 2022 World Cup.

In case your interested:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
Doha 2020

"Quiet Approach to 2020 Olympics for Qatar"

Plans for a bid from Qatar for the 2020 Olympics are proceeding even though the primary goal for now is to win the 2022 FIFA World Cup, the secretary general of the Qatar Olympic Committee tells Around The Rings.

Sheikh Saoud Bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani confirmed that Doha will be in the race for 2020, it’s second try after failing to make the shortlist for 2016.

The sheikh says the strategy is to keep things quiet while the battle to host World Cups in 2018 and 2022 is underway. That decision by FIFA is set for December 2010.

Al-Thani says he takes comfort from the decision to award Brazil the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympics.

“I think that when the IOC chose Rio it opened a new gate. The area that is still missing an Olympics is the Middle East. Hopefully we can change that in 2020, but first we must focus on 2022,” explained Al-Thani.

“2020 will be on our agenda. Rio has the World Cup (2014) and two years later will have the Olympics. Maybe we will do the same, but the other way round.”

Doha lost out for 2016 due large part to stage the Games in October, rather than the traditional July/August dates sought by the IOC.

Al-Thani revealed that this time Qatar will accept the northern hemisphere mid-summer timing, arguing that technology and the changing world climate will come to the rescue.

“Ten years from now the weather will be different – we are already seeing the change. We can play at night in climate controlled stadia. At a recent event in our stadium a temperature no higher than 28 degrees centigrade was recorded,” claimed Al-Thani.

Qatar has recently staged world-class events in tennis, table tennis, weight-lifting and football, and will showcase its national stadium to the world on Saturday when football giants England and Brazil battle in a World Cup prep match.

Al-Thani confirmed that part of his government’s strategy is to bring more and more of these global events Doha.

“To bring a big event to the Middle East is very important. Impossible does not exist in our dictionary. Any event that will help our strategy to bring a major event to our country we will bid for,” he said.

Doha is not the only Arab Gulf city looking at the 2020 Olympics. Dubai in the United Arab Emirates is looking at the bid as well.


SOURCE
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #929
jacoboy7
Registered User
 
jacoboy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth
Posts: 482
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
I don't see whats wrong in adding prestige and elegance to a bid, besides it will leave the country shining after the World Cup, the Family-Oriented how ever send a "message", and that message is that Alcohol and partial-nudity will not be allowed in the stadiums, outside the stadiums is another story, they could do what ever they want in their fan zones and the streets.
Yes, but what middle class family can afford to pay for prestige...?
The majority of the people that go are just average citizens of their country, they cannot afford to pay for prestige, especially if they have families, that makes it even more difficult.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
The open spaces are in place in certain areas, they are remnants of the Asian Games, so hosting an Olympics or a World Cup and more more events should fill them up every now and then.
You will only be able to host so many events, if you go all out, and do the Olympics and WC, the two biggest tournaments in the world within 2020-2022, then you won't be able to host them again for quite awhile, still making those huge areas...open areas with no one there. Being a waste -_-



Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
If thats what you really think, I accept that, our population is certainly small (will grow to 3 million by 2022). Yet we promise to offer an incredible World Cup, Egypt and Morocco have bid before but they failed to get enough attention. most stadiums will be downgraded from 40-45 K to 20-25 K size, which according to the officials is ideal to the population at that time and will eliminate the venues as white elephants and will provide a lasting legacy for the country and the local communities of these stadiums.
See by 2022, you will have 3million people, (apparently), still that is way under any countries population that have hosted the WC, but at least its a sustainable one, since there will be a higher population to hold the stadiums and open areas of good use. Bidding at 2022, will give you approximately 12 more years to increase your population to a level that is 100% sustainable, and significant to the infrastructure needed to hold a WC or Olympics.
(Or even earlier like do a bid at 2014-2018 for the 2024-2032 etc...

:}
__________________

"Scientists discover the Unknown, Architects design the Unique, Engineers create the previously Impossible"

jacoboy7 no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #930
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,209
Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
the Family-Oriented how ever send a "message", and that message is that Alcohol and partial-nudity will not be allowed in the stadiums, outside the stadiums is another story, they could do what ever they want in their fan zones and the streets.
I am fascinated by the audacity for you to determine what qualifies as "family friendly". As if other World Cups aren't for families or only Qatari's know what they consist of.

If FIFA had your ideas about what is "family friendly" or felt that their current rules weren't conducive to families don't you think they would institute rules similar to the ones you insist must be followed? Do you think its for FIFA to bend itself backwards to Qatars sensibilities or do you think its the other way around? Seems that you may be confused as to who bows to who.
__________________
Stephane Charbonnier, “I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.”
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #931
Solopop
Solopop
 
Solopop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,113
Likes (Received): 99

What's partial nuditity? Or what do you mean by that?
Solopop no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #932
T74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 622
Likes (Received): 1

be interesting to see how popular a booze ban would be considering how protective FIFA is of its alcohol sponsors (look how they reacted to the Dutch girls)
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #933
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,209
Likes (Received): 2761

True, and I did come across an article that states that FIFA does in fact permit alcohol and given the important revenue it recuperates and the deals with the major liquor sponsers would have seemed rather odd.

Quote:
http://www.footballforafrica.com/ind...d=69&Itemid=83

Glasses down when final whistle blows
February 04 2010 at 08:49AM

Alcohol will be on sale three hours before kick-off and throughout the match, but no liquor will be sold after the final whistle blows at World Cup stadiums.............

Only tournament sponsor Budweiser's beer will be served - in plastic containers not exceeding a volume of more than 500ml per cup - at match venues and fan parks. Public viewing sites will not be restricted to selling only Budweiser.............

While no liquor will be sold to fans in the stands after the final whistle has been blown at stadiums, it would still flow for those in the corporate or hospitality suites, where liquor premises will remain opened for two hours after the match has ended..............
__________________
Stephane Charbonnier, “I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.”
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #934
Walbanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,239
Likes (Received): 1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
What's partial nuditity? Or what do you mean by that?
Simple, Qatari notions of modesty. I'm not sure how it would be policed or if it will be to much of an issue. I guess we are all thinking of women in tank tops, low cut tops and certain types of pants. It may even make some sense for celtic types (such as myself) to cover up a bit just to avoid unnecessary sun burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333
If thats what you really think, I accept that, our population is certainly small (will grow to 3 million by 2022). Yet we promise to offer an incredible World Cup, Egypt and Morocco have bid before but they failed to get enough attention. most stadiums will be downgraded from 40-45 K to 20-25 K size, which according to the officials is ideal to the population at that time and will eliminate the venues as white elephants and will provide a lasting legacy for the country and the local communities of these stadiums.
I just find this too much to get my head around. The bulk of the Qatari population now and in 2022 will be expats and Labourers from the sub continent. The Expats who are of a transient nature would have next to zero passion and connection the local Qatari sport. I seriously doubt the Labourers could afford to attend games, they would only benefit from the possible generosity of their employers.

I understand that the reduced stadiums would be again used for a successful olympic bid but I seriously doubt that "Officials" really believe they won't be White Elephants. Most Olympic cities of much larger population of Doha and of deeply intrenched sporting cultures have numerous white elephants, what is going to make Qatar any different?
Out of recent Olympics, Sydney and Athens have Baseball and Softball stadiums that are under utilised and massive Beijing has large problems finding a stable legacy for their centre piece Birds Nest, not forgetting its maintenance cost.
8 20 000 / 25 000 seat stadiums is far too large a capacity and too many stadiums for a country where only 3 / 400 000 people are citizens. If legacy is just to provide stadiums for the olympic bid then I question the logic using the nations wealth in such a manner where WC legacy is only legitimised by landing an Olympics and then to figure out what to do with them afterwards. Qatari's themselves have said that many of these projects will not be built if they don't get the WC or Olympics unlike the USA where everything is already there or Australia where it's either already built, infrastructure developments have started, are planned and/ or are legitimately needed regardless of World Cup but a successful bid will see the federal government sharing more of the expense with the states.

Last edited by Walbanger; June 19th, 2010 at 10:29 AM.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #935
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoboy7 View Post
Yes, but what middle class family can afford to pay for prestige...?
The majority of the people that go are just average citizens of their country, they cannot afford to pay for prestige, especially if they have families, that makes it even more difficult.
Well if you can't afford it you can't have it, you will have to settle for what is offered in the middle class. Now don't tell me they don't have money for Macdonald's, why are they coming then....


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoboy7 View Post
You will only be able to host so many events, if you go all out, and do the Olympics and WC, the two biggest tournaments in the world within 2020-2022, then you won't be able to host them again for quite awhile, still making those huge areas...open areas with no one there. Being a waste -_-
Even if the World Cup and Olympics are done hosted, we will still have the Asian Cup and the Asian Games to host, in addition to other sports, did you foreget abot FIBA, IHF & IAAF etc. -_-


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoboy7 View Post
See by 2022, you will have 3million people, (apparently), still that is way under any countries population that have hosted the WC, but at least its a sustainable one, since there will be a higher population to hold the stadiums and open areas of good use. Bidding at 2022, will give you approximately 12 more years to increase your population to a level that is 100% sustainable, and significant to the infrastructure needed to hold a WC or Olympics.
12 years is a long time, by then we would have opened the New Doha International Airport, Qatar National Metro Network, New Ring Roads, New expressways, Qatar-Bahrain Bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoboy7 View Post
(Or even earlier like do a bid at 2014-2018 for the 2024-2032 etc...
We have bid for the Doha 2016 Olympics previously and 2020 in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Simple, Qatari notions of modesty. I'm not sure how it would be policed or if it will be to much of an issue. I guess we are all thinking of women in tank tops, low cut tops and certain types of pants. It may even make some sense for celtic types (such as myself) to cover up a bit just to avoid unnecessary sun burn.
This would be acceptable, not more than that (in the stadiums)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
I just find this too much to get my head around. The bulk of the Qatari population now and in 2022 will be expats and Labourers from the sub continent. The Expats who are of a transient nature would have next to zero passion and connection the local Qatari sport. I seriously doubt the Labourers could afford to attend games, they would only benefit from the possible generosity of their employers.
Most matches in Qatar are for free, and who said the majority in the country are labourers ?? you forgot high payed expats which really form the large bulk of demographics...

This match in the local league, not anywhere near the Quarter finals had a lot of non Qatari's go see it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
I understand that the reduced stadiums would be again used for a successful olympic bid but I seriously doubt that "Officials" really believe they won't be White Elephants.
No, We are aiming currently at Doha 2020 not Doha 2024, so the stadiums will be used prior to the World Cup if the bid is won.
Its part of well studied National Vision 2030, you think they don't know what they are doing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Most Olympic cities of much larger population of Doha and of deeply intrenched sporting cultures have numerous white elephants, what is going to make Qatar any different?
We are already different, We have World-Class "award winning" sport facilities and they are being used all the times by hosting more and more events.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
8 20 000 / 25 000 seat stadiums is far too large a capacity and too many stadiums for a country where only 3 / 400 000 people are citizens.
Thats highly offensive. we don't need any trollish behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
If legacy is just to provide stadiums for the olympic bid then I question the logic using the nations wealth in such a manner where WC legacy is only legitimised by landing an Olympics and then to figure out what to do with them afterwards. Qatari's themselves have said that many of these projects will not be built if they don't get the WC or Olympics unlike the USA where everything is already there or Australia where it's either already built, infrastructure developments have started, are planned and/ or are legitimately needed regardless of World Cup but a successful bid will see the federal government sharing more of the expense with the states.
And ? I don't see why a country shouldn't expand its sporting facilities, and again the Olympic's would be held before the world cup (2020), so the stadiums will be used before the World Cup.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #936
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Brazil vs England International Friendly



The high-profile international football friendly between Brazil and England last November boosted the profile of Qatar's bid to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
Stars like Kaka, Robinho and Wayne Rooney, descended on Doha and displayed their skills before a sellout crowd at the Khalifa International Stadium.
The Game helped the football pundits take a serious note of Qatar. It also made them realise that the Arabian Gulf nation is not simply aiming to put itself on the map, but is quite serious and wants to make a global impact by hosting events like the World Cup and Olympics.

"We received a lot of positive feedback. I wont claim everything was perfect, but overall, it was a great show and the 50,000-odd fans, who thronged the venue, had a memorable experience. We are looking for the same inspirational effect in 2022 when we hope to welcome the world to our country and showcase our traditional hospitality again, and open an entirely new market to the FIFA family." Qatar 2022 Bid CEO Hassan Abdullah Al Thawadi.

Brazil vs England Fan Fest










Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #937
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

20-25 K Stadiums would be ideal for Qatar's population in 2020-2030.



hopefully the Olympic flame will come to Doha soon, like the Asian Olympic flame in 2006.



Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #938
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,766
Likes (Received): 10314

What's the average attendence in Qatar for football matches at the moment? I tried to look in Google but couldn't find any figures.
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #939
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 16,672
Likes (Received): 9684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
like the Asian Olympic Games flame in 2006.
Corrected for you ! (there's only 2 Olympic flames : During the Summer and Winter Olympics)
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #940
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Corrected for you ! (there's only 2 Olympic flames : During the Summer and Winter Olympics)
Yes it is the Asian Games, but still its part of the Olympic council of Asia, it has the word "olympic" in it, so its the Asian Olympic flame.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu