daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 19th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #941
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

The Asian Games was just the beginning
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #942
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Reading you makes me feel like I am perpetually locked in my old high school gym for the neverending football pep rally

Goooooooo team!!!!!
Old June 19th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #943
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Reading you makes me feel like I am perpetually locked in my old high school gym for the neverending football pep rally

Goooooooo team!!!!!
Sorry thats how i am. Go team =P
Old June 20th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #944
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Old June 20th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #945
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1113

Quote:
This would be acceptable, not more than that (in the stadiums)
Sounds fine to me. May even be sensible for some to cover up a bit to avoid sunburn.

Quote:
Most matches in Qatar are for free, and who said the majority in the country are labourers ?? you forgot high payed expats which really form the large bulk of demographics...

This match in the local league, not anywhere near the Quarter finals had a lot of non Qatari's go see it.
The matches are free? geez, why not a packed house each weekend.
I clearly said expats and foreign labourers, no forgeting there. What you shouldn't forget is that large expat work force is of a transient nature and has about as much loyalty and passion for Qatar as their next pay check.

Quote:
No, We are aiming currently at Doha 2020 not Doha 2024, so the stadiums will be used prior to the World Cup if the bid is won.
Its part of well studied National Vision 2030, you think they don't know what they are doing ?
Doha 2020 then, my mistake but my point is the same.
Well studied national vision, the key work there is Vision, its something to aspire to with a logical optimistic bias. It also involves securing the WC and or Olympics, unlike all other bidders for 2022. Qatars need for venues and claim of legacy is only legitimised in the context of winning both bids for WC and Olympics.

Quote:
We are already different, We have World-Class "award winning" sport facilities and they are being used all the times by hosting more and more events.
Sound a little jinoistic there, not a good look...
and no, you are not different. Many countries have "award winning" sporting infrastucture that that are heavily patronised, including all your bidding rivals.

Quote:
Thats highly offensive. we don't need any trollish behavior.
How is a fact offensive. If you were to tell me the sky is blue should I be offended?

Quote:
And ? I don't see why a country shouldn't expand its sporting facilities, and again the Olympic's would be held before the world cup (2020), so the stadiums will be used before the World Cup.
Who said you shouldn't expand your sporting infrastructure?
I question the need for sporting infrastucture on the scale of a World Cup. As i said, Qatari's on the forum have said many of these venues would not be built if Qatar doesn't get the WC or Olympics, that contradicts your claims of these facilities being needed regardless. So the stadiums from the Olympic wil be used for the WC and then what? You have said youself that Football matches are free to attend yet you average less the 8000 a game.

Your inability or refusal to comprehend people's posts on this forum is not my problem. Unlike giving simple information to the common person, this is a forum set up for design and architecture boffins. I like I imagine many other resent being presented information that is for all intends and purposes is a cut and paste job from a promotional pamflet. We have asked serious and legitimate questions and as our passions dictate we want to know the knuts and bolds of proposals and vigorously critique them.

I'm going go do something more satifying now like bang my head against a brick wall.

Last edited by Walbanger; June 21st, 2010 at 02:37 PM.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 02:15 PM   #946
jacoboy7

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
Well if you can't afford it you can't have it, you will have to settle for what is offered in the middle class. Now don't tell me they don't have money for Macdonald's, why are they coming then....
Quote:
What the eff reply is that?
Look at that image, that is prestige...no? I said before the WC is more for middle class, whats the point of having a luxurious bid? Plus your saying its family orientated, what world cup isnt?
If you look at a place like that its what? $500 US + a night...?
MacDonald's is $5 a meal...?
How is that justified, that if you don't have enough money for Maccas then GTFO...?
I said money to stay in your luxurious hotels since its a "Luxurious bid" not for necessities!

Quote:
Even if the World Cup and Olympics are done hosted, we will still have the Asian Cup and the Asian Games to host, in addition to other sports, did you foreget abot FIBA, IHF & IAAF etc. -_-

12 years is a long time, by then we would have opened the New Doha International Airport, Qatar National Metro Network, New Ring Roads, New expressways, Qatar-Bahrain Bridge.
Ohhhh great, multi hundred billion dollar systems for what approximately 2-3million people, and a few world events that last four weeks. Congrats.

Quote:
This would be acceptable, not more than that (in the stadiums)
If thats the max amount of "nudity" allowed your WC will be disappointing to the average male in the crowd.

"Scientists discover the Unknown, Architects design the Unique, Engineers create the previously Impossible"

jacoboy7 no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 02:46 PM   #947
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoboy7 View Post
If thats the max amount of "nudity" allowed your WC will be disappointing to the average male in the crowd.
Brazilian's won't like it either.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:26 AM   #948
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoboy7 View Post
What the eff reply is that?
Look at that image, that is prestige...no? I said before the WC is more for middle class, whats the point of having a luxurious bid? Plus your saying its family orientated, what world cup isnt?
If you look at a place like that its what? $500 US + a night...?
MacDonald's is $5 a meal...?
How is that justified, that if you don't have enough money for Maccas then GTFO...?
I said money to stay in your luxurious hotels since its a "Luxurious bid" not for necessities!
For your information thats not even a hotel.... its a mall and i refeerd to luxury and prestige as the locations and places are "high-end" (example: A mall ?) even though expensive hotels are available, there is a lot of "normal" hotels such as rotana, Sheraton etc.

Its not my problem if you fail to notice "Prada" on the side of the image....
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:38 PM   #949
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

So far 3 completely new stadiums have been announced and they are Al-Wakrah, Al-Khor & Al-Shamal.

Al-Wakrah Stadium & Complex

Will include the main Stadium (45,120) , Aquatics Center, Multi-Use sport's hall, Shopping Mall, Spa & Offices.) The complex would be adjacent to an expressway and will have connection's to the national metro network. The Sport complex is part of the "Wakrah City Masterplan", which means regardless of the decision in 2nd of December, it will be built. The only thing that wouldn't be built if the 2022 World Cup doesn't go to Qatar is the Modular upper tiers that would be removed and chipped to developing countries in Asia/Africa after the World Cup.

Official video for Al-Wakrah Stadium

Bird view of Stadium

Open spaces outside the Stadium

View of the Wakrah Sport Complex

Al-Khor Stadium

Located in the northeast of Qatar, designed in the shape of a beautiful asymmetrical shell the al khor stadium will have a capacity of 45,330 seats. some viewers will see the Arabian Gulf from their seats, the players will benefit from a flexible cover that will ensure the shadow on the pitch. The stadium will have connections to the National Metro, an adjacent highway and water taxi links.

Official video of Al-Khor Stadium

Bird view of Stadium

The shell cover

Section view of Al-Khor Stadium

Al-Shamal Stadium

The brand new al-shamal stadium has a capacity of 45,120 with a permanent lower tier of 25,500 seats and a modular upper tier of 19,620 seats. the stadiums shape is derived from the 'Dhow' fishing boat of the arabian gulf. spectators are expected to arrive from the Doha Expressway, Water Taxis, the Bahrain-Qatar friendship bridge and the new National Metrorail.

Official video of Al-Shamal Stadium

View from ground

View from the sky
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:55 PM   #950
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

We know that 2 stadiums (Al-Gharafa & Al-Rayyan) will be renovated for the 2022 World cup.

Al-Gharafa Stadium

The existing 21,175 capacity Al-Gharafa stadium will be expanded to 44,740 seats using modular elements forming an upper tier. The facade will be made up of ribbons representing the nations that qualify for the 2022 FIFA World Cup and will symbolize football and the mutual friendship, tolerance and respect that the tournament represents. The stadium will be downscaled to its existing capacity after the tournament ends.

Official video of Al-Gharafa Stadium.

Birds-eye view

Ground view

Section view of Stadium.

Al-Rayyan Stadium

The existing al-rayyan stadium with a seating capacity of 21,282 will be expanded to 44,740 seats using modular elements to form an upper tier. the stadium is designed with a special 'media facade' membrane that acts as a screen for projecting news, updates and current matches. The stadium will be downsized to its current capacity after the tournament. Its adjacent to a Highway.

Official video of Al-Rayyan Stadium.

Bird view

Ground view
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:56 PM   #951
Walbanger

There you go, that wasn't a bad post. Had thorough information on the capacities and I appreciate the sections.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:00 PM   #952
gavstar00

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
There you go, that wasn't a bad post. Had thorough information on the capacities and I appreciate the sections.
It was just a rehash of info already posted around page twelve of the thread - smacks of trying to keep the thread up near the top of the main list
gavstar00 no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:44 PM   #953
Walbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavstar00 View Post
It was just a rehash of info already posted around page twelve of the thread - smacks of trying to keep the thread up near the top of the main list
I've seen most of the pics many times before but the sections were new to me, at least as far as I could remember. I thought I'd give Qatar Son 333 the benefit of the doubt and believe that he's trying as opposed to mimicing a scratched record.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:55 PM   #954
wonkcerbon
Rakyat Enggak Jelas

Likes (Received): 195

got this pic from FIFA.com

is she really supported Qatar for FIFA world cup ?
well, send her to me, I will approve Qatar bid..
3. Do Lipton Tea employees take coffee breaks?
4. If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?
5. If a book about failures doesn't sell, is it a success?
wonkcerbon no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:26 PM   #955
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

I thought that that sort of clothing wouldn't be allowed...contradiction much?
Will737 no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:51 PM   #956
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

After revising previous events Qatar hosted i noticed that much more skin is shown especially the athletes, part of the 2006 Asian Games was Women's volleyball, athletics etc. and another event was the 2010 IAAF world indoor championship Doha. my bad .

On a side note, at the 2010 IAAF world indoor championship in Doha also had an Israeli athlete, it not the first time an Israeli athlete comes to Qatar, around 2 years ago an Israeli tennis player come to take part in the womens tournament.

This country is is really becoming different from the others around it, and its doing it quick, by 2012 Qatar will launch its first satellite and open its Space City project which will be a hub for space research and eventually its own space program. Bidding for the 2020 Olympics and the 2022 World Cup, moving towards a knowledge based economy, investing in renewable energy & more. By 2030 people might consider Qatar as a developed nation.

Last edited by Qatar Son 333; June 23rd, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old June 24th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #957
Mr. Fitz
Get Your Walk On Son!

Likes (Received): 4

My only complaint about the stadiums so far is that they're all two-tiered, hopefully a few different ones to come.
Mr. Fitz no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #958
flares

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Al-Jazeera Sports has proved itself to be on the top of the sport-channel monopoly in the Middle east and North Africa region, Their exclusive rights to broadcast the World Cup 2010 and 2014 and many other European leagues has gained it a lot of respect.
The sport channels are 1,2,+1,+2,+4,+5,+6,+7,+8,+9,+10,HD1,HD2,3D,Clubs,Global and the world cup channel.
Jazeera Sports has the 2014 WC too. Hope they sort out the transmission problems by then.
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #959
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flares View Post
Jazeera Sports has the 2014 WC too. Hope they sort out the transmission problems by then.
Its called piracy, someone or a group ruined some of the matches...
Old June 27th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #960
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Qatar to show FIFA cooling technology

DOHA: In its bid to host the 2022 World Cup, Qatar will show the world soccer body, FIFA, a prototype of a solar-powered stadium cooling system that will regulate the temperature at the venues, in September this year.

A high-profile FIFA team is expected here in September, three months before the 2022 World Cup host is chosen in December.

Associated Press (AP), reporting from Johannesburg, one of the venues of the 2010 World Cup games, yesterday quoted Qatar’s bid leader, Hassan Al Thawadi, as saying that football officials from around the world are asking him how their national teams can play in Qatar’s hot weather.

If Qatar wins the bid the matches will be played between June 3 and July 3, when temperatures are high.

AP said it has been 35 degrees Celsius at 9.30pm in Qatar, the time when late matches, including the final, would kick off.

Meanwhile, Canadian Press (CP) said from Johannesburg that Qatar’s bid to host the 2022 World Cup is provoking a heated debate in South Africa. “Ultimately, everybody asks about the weather — ‘What is your solution towards the weather?’” bid Chief Executive Al Thawadi told CP.

Daytime temperatures this week hit 43 degrees Celsius in Qatar.

Al Thawadi has heard expressions of concern, especially from European and South American officials who want to know what kind of World Cup their national team might face in 2022.

“Previously it was curiosity or it was more of an astonishment,” Al Thawadi said. “Now I believe people are genuinely interested.”

Qatar proposes to combat the searing heat by a system of solar-powered, air-cooled stadiums with roofs designed to shelter the fans and players.

A scaled-down prototype is being built around a five-a-side field in Doha to showcase the technology, and will be unveiled in September before a FIFA team coming here for an official inspection.

“Every component of that prototype is in existence,” Al Thawadi said, “but it’s never been put in the sequence that it’s being put together in to create the result that we are looking for.”

Qatar proposes playing World Cup matches in 12 stadiums equipped with the technology. Development plans for five are under way.

The bid panel claims the temperature at the venues would be kept at 27 degrees Celsius — below the 30-degree mark at which FIFA’s medical committee says players become fatigued after 51 minutes of play.

Training camps for each of the 32 competing teams will also need to be cooled, as will the several so-called fan zones — the public viewing sites where fans without match tickets gather to watch the action on giant screens.

THE PENINSULA

Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022