daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 27th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #961
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
Qatar to show FIFA cooling technology

A scaled-down prototype is being built around a five-a-side field in Doha to showcase the technology, and will be unveiled in September before a FIFA team coming here for an official inspection.

“Every component of that prototype is in existence,” Al Thawadi said, “but it’s never been put in the sequence that it’s being put together in to create the result that we are looking for.”
I think a full trial run of games displaying the technology and potential reliability in similar stadiums that would be used during the WC is what is required before signing off on such a project. Displaying a "scaled down version" which hasn't been tested during actual matches in my opinion would be a non starter.

Last edited by nomarandlee; June 27th, 2010 at 08:01 PM.
nomarandlee no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #962
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

New slogan for this bid.

1 city. 1 world cup!

just kidding...sort of.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #963
zaDic
The One

Likes (Received): 1293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
New slogan for this bid.

1 city. 1 world cup!

just kidding...sort of.

C H I L E

Viña del Mar | Valparaíso
zaDic no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #964
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
New slogan for this bid.

1 city. 1 world cup!

just kidding...sort of.
Instead of trolling around, please change the thread title to 2022 Candidate....

Its not about the tiny Emirate's 1.7 million people, but about the wider Middle East and North African population, the whole region stands to gain from this bid, I mean we are talking about 400 Million people in MENA today, we are extremely privileged to be representing them. The game itself has its allure and people will gravitate towards the games, the games will market itself, Qatar expects at least 700,000 visitors from abroad during the event.

------

in response to the "over-luxurious" claims, the cost of accommodation in 5-star hotels is lower than the rest of the region, during the world cup package deals will be available, FIFA has requirements stipulates ranges of costs for hotels, all of that will be taken into consideration. The lack of lower-priced hotels will be also corrected with more 3 and 4 star hotels.

The design of the iconic stadium where the opening and closing ceremonies will be held is still in design stage with competition in place for the selection of the best architectural design, the design will be announced soon

Last edited by Qatar Son 333; June 27th, 2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: had more to say
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #965
gavstar00

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Qatar to show FIFA cooling technology

DOHA: In its bid to host the 2022 World Cup, Qatar will show the world soccer body, FIFA, a prototype of a solar-powered stadium cooling system that will regulate the temperature at the venues, in September this year.

A high-profile FIFA team is expected here in September, three months before the 2022 World Cup host is chosen in December.

Associated Press (AP), reporting from Johannesburg, one of the venues of the 2010 World Cup games, yesterday quoted Qatar’s bid leader, Hassan Al Thawadi, as saying that football officials from around the world are asking him how their national teams can play in Qatar’s hot weather.

If Qatar wins the bid the matches will be played between June 3 and July 3, when temperatures are high.

AP said it has been 35 degrees Celsius at 9.30pm in Qatar, the time when late matches, including the final, would kick off.

Meanwhile, Canadian Press (CP) said from Johannesburg that Qatar’s bid to host the 2022 World Cup is provoking a heated debate in South Africa. “Ultimately, everybody asks about the weather — ‘What is your solution towards the weather?’” bid Chief Executive Al Thawadi told CP.

Daytime temperatures this week hit 43 degrees Celsius in Qatar.

Al Thawadi has heard expressions of concern, especially from European and South American officials who want to know what kind of World Cup their national team might face in 2022.

“Previously it was curiosity or it was more of an astonishment,” Al Thawadi said. “Now I believe people are genuinely interested.”

Qatar proposes to combat the searing heat by a system of solar-powered, air-cooled stadiums with roofs designed to shelter the fans and players.

A scaled-down prototype is being built around a five-a-side field in Doha to showcase the technology, and will be unveiled in September before a FIFA team coming here for an official inspection.

“Every component of that prototype is in existence,” Al Thawadi said, “but it’s never been put in the sequence that it’s being put together in to create the result that we are looking for.”

Qatar proposes playing World Cup matches in 12 stadiums equipped with the technology. Development plans for five are under way.

The bid panel claims the temperature at the venues would be kept at 27 degrees Celsius — below the 30-degree mark at which FIFA’s medical committee says players become fatigued after 51 minutes of play.

Training camps for each of the 32 competing teams will also need to be cooled, as will the several so-called fan zones — the public viewing sites where fans without match tickets gather to watch the action on giant screens.

THE PENINSULA

Prepare to be blown away FIFA!
gavstar00 no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #966
rafamlopes
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Why 12 stadiums and not 10?
rafamlopes no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #967
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

The infrastructure of the Games will be in line with the overall development of the country, which again will follow the National Vision 2030 of the country. There are a lot of ancillary benefits of hosting the Games, one of them is to introduce people to Qatar, show them what the country has achieved in a few years time, the value the government places on education.
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #968
sauronbcn

Likes (Received): 414

This is a joke
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #969
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

How is stating "1 city. 1 world cup" trolling?

As of today Qatar only has 1 sizeable city, which would only be allocated 1 venue if the last 5 WC's are anything to go by.

You have still not answered, how a city like Rio or Paris or London, would at most be allocated 2 venues, yet a smaller city thinks FIFA will hand it more than 2?

Its just not going to happen. Aircon or not/
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:29 AM   #970
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I think a full trial run of games displaying the technology and potential reliability in similar stadiums that would be used during the WC is what is required before signing off on such a project. Displaying a "scaled down version" which hasn't been tested during actual matches in my opinion would be a non starter.
I agree..UNPROVEN technology yet to be practiced in World Cup style conditions in WC style stadiums with WC style attendances.
Player comfort,spectator comfort,wind,radiant heat,dust storms etc etc etc ...This needs to be tested properly!...
and yes...it is still unproven...
A few 1950s style evap water coolers

blowing cool air on a few spectators doesnt relate to controlled open air stadiums that create 27 deg temp for the players on the middle of the pitch
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #971
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

This is strategic & serious bid.

12 Stadiums spread around the country that will serve as a lasting legacy for their local communities, all stadiums will be situated close to country landmarks, a new 86,000 seat stadium is planned with another stadium expanded to 70,000, everything will meet FIFA standards, the stadiums, training fields and fan zones will be air conditioned using Eco friendly technology that gathers solar energy.

To meet international regulatory standards as part of its efforts to bring the 2020 Olympic Games and 2022 World Cup to Qatar, the country has given shape to a multi-billion dollar programme to expand its transport infrastructure. The latest projects include Doha's new airport, the formation of a railway network and expansion of local bus services. Transport to and from Qatar is made even easier since there will be a direct bridge link to nearby Bahrain, Abudhabi airport nearby & Dubai with its 2 mega airports (Dubai International & Dubai world central). Everything in-lined with Qatar's 2030 Vision.

This will be a family-oriented & compact world cup.

First 5 stadiums out of 12

Qatar railways map

Qatar Railways station model

Doha International Airport

Master planned cities are all involved with this bid

Qatar hosted the FIFA Congress in 2003, WTO meeting, Asian Games 2006, 1995 U-20 World Cup, 1988 Asian Cup, 2005 West Asian Games, 2004 Gulf Cup, 2010 IAAF Indoor Athletics, 2010 FIBA Asia & so many other annual events.
Qatar is tipped as the region's sports capital and it is perhaps the only Gulf nation capable of organising the biggest international events in any sports discipline, thanks to its state-of-the-art facilities.
Its hosting the 2011 Asian Cup, 2011 Pan-Arab Games and the 2013 Asian Indoor & Martial Arts Games. and its bidding for the 2020 Olympics and the 2022 World Cup.

Qatar 2022 World Cup bid has been further boosted by the support of the Arab Soccer Federation (ASF), which claimed that the country had credentials to host the sport's showpiece event. A number of Arab football associations has already placed the Qatar 2022 bid banner on their websites.

A World Cup in the Mideast will create a bridge between East and West, and have people converge in Qatar. It will also help create a better understanding of the region.

The high-profile international football friendly between Brazil and England last November boosted the profile of Qatar's bid to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

The Brazilian President has already pledged his country's full support for Qatar 2022, that means the Brazilian Ricardo Terra Teixeira will most certainly vote for Qatar.
Franz Beckenbauer would most likely vote for Qatar due to a German company building Qatar Railways which is also directly related to Qatar 2022 World Cup bid.
Mohammed Bin Hammam off course would support his country Qatar.
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:39 AM   #972
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post
I agree..UNPROVEN technology yet to be practiced in World Cup style conditions in WC style stadiums with WC style attendances.
Player comfort,spectator comfort,wind,radiant heat,dust storms etc etc etc ...This needs to be tested properly!...
and yes...it is still unproven...
A few 1950s style evap water coolers

blowing cool air on a few spectators doesnt relate to controlled open air stadiums that create 27 deg temp for the players on the middle of the pitch
Why did you bring reference to that picture in the first place ? i posted them to show you how one of 2 stadiums are currently cooled, they DONT RELATE to the 2022 proposal, the 2022 one will be Eco friendly etc etc etc i have repeated it a thousand times, go back and dig it out... its unproven because OBVIOUSLY the prototype hasn't been finished yet, wait till mid September, the FIFA inspectors will test it out themselves.
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #973
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6958

Quote:
Instead of trolling around, please change the thread title to 2022 Candidate....

Its not about the tiny Emirate's 1.7 million people, but about the wider Middle East and North African population, the whole region stands to gain from this bid, I mean we are talking about 400 Million people in MENA today, we are extremely privileged to be representing them. The game itself has its allure and people will gravitate towards the games, the games will market itself, Qatar expects at least 700,000 visitors from abroad during the event.
Nice for us.

If you don't have it, Morocco will have more chance for representing MENA area after loosing WC 1994, 1998, 2006 and 2010.

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:04 AM   #974
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
one of them is to introduce people to Qatar, show them what the country has achieved in a few years time, the value the government places on education.
You need the world cup in order to do all that? Really?

Wouldn't a more direct showing of improvement in education be better by saying publishing improved results of Qatari students in worldwide education rankings? Or starting a native University attended by Qatari natives that is regarded among the best in the world.

I don't see how hiring Westerners to design hotels and venues and getting South Asians to build them is much of a display in "education"?

Wouldn't better roads, airports, stadiums, and hotels speak for themselves be worth doing on their own merits? You sound like a government agency spokesman for cripes sake.
Quote:
There is that darn word again. As if Brazil 2014 or England 2018 will be "family unfriendly". You people don't own the concept or idea of family or good values.

Last edited by nomarandlee; June 28th, 2010 at 04:45 AM.
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:10 AM   #975
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Quote:
Why did you bring reference to that picture in the first place ? i posted them to show you how one of 2 stadiums are currently cooled, they DONT RELATE to the 2022 proposal, the 2022 one will be Eco friendly etc etc etc i have repeated it a thousand times, go back and dig it out... its unproven because OBVIOUSLY the prototype hasn't been finished yet, wait till mid September, the FIFA inspectors will test it out themselves.
I know you have said it a THOUSAND times.You (and all the Qatari spin doctors)can say anything you like.

Simple fact...Its unproven technology and has yet to be tested in trying and ACTUAL match conditions.A prototype (that isnt even a stadium) is not going to convince anyone.(Then again..We are talking FIFA)
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:16 AM   #976
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I have no idea on this matter, so your comment is appreciated

How similar is the Qatari weather in Sept to that we would normally expect in June/July?

If this is a prototype arrangement, you would be wanting to run in it conditions as close to the likely outcome as possible (and running in next year is not an option given the vote is in December)

also how "scaled down" is the prototype? I'm assuming a smaller space is easier to cool than a larger one
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:24 AM   #977
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
I have no idea on this matter, so your comment is appreciated

How similar is the Qatari weather in Sept to that we would normally expect in June/July?

If this is a prototype arrangement, you would be wanting to run in it conditions as close to the likely outcome as possible (and running in next year is not an option given the vote is in December)

also how "scaled down" is the prototype? I'm assuming a smaller space is easier to cool than a larger one
Exactly.."Scaled down"..What a joke!

Unproven technology and they want to be given a WC!

or this in regards to cooling fan zones etc

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/wor...qatar2022.html

".............. Thawadi said a design to cool those venues has not yet been devised.

“Technology evolves. You’ve got 12 years from now,” he said. “The cooling technology will be adapted in such a way to allow for the place to be cooled in an open-air place without the stands being there.”

In other words......

".........We have no idea,but lets pretend we do...they will give us the WC and we will deal with it later...Maybe advancement in technology before 2022 might improve............"
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #978
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

I almost admire the tenacity and defiance (if not arrogance) of such a bid but sometime one just perhaps to admit to oneself they live in a climate and conditions not conducive to high energy and highly aerobic outdoor sport.

Unless FIFA decided to up end the world national leagues schedules (not happening in a 1k years) and display the WC during December or January I don't see that problem being recitified. Then what still has the issue of having enough cities and population to warrent holding the tourneyment............
Old June 28th, 2010, 05:11 AM   #979
Chimbanha

Likes (Received): 1965

"Shirtless Obama" on the stadium external screen
Chimbanha no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #980
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

Quote:
Its not about the tiny Emirate's 1.7 million people, but about the wider Middle East and North African population, the whole region stands to gain from this bid, I mean we are talking about 400 Million people in MENA today.
Really thats a vast area to be represented by a tiny counrty on the east fringe of MENA. By that logic I'm pronouncing that Australia's bid is not just about the moderately low Populated Australia but for the whole South East Asian and Pacific region notably Indonesia and New Zealand, I may as well throw in the bulk of the common Commonwealth.

Quote:
Compact yes but is that better most people love seeing the varying landscapes of a host nation. Family-Oriented well that's even more subjective, can't spend 24/7 in the fan zones underneath the "fans"

Quote:
Qatar hosted the FIFA Congress in 2003, WTO meeting, Asian Games 2006, 1995 U-20 World Cup, 1988 Asian Cup, 2005 West Asian Games, 2004 Gulf Cup, 2010 IAAF Indoor Athletics, 2010 FIBA Asia & so many other annual events.
All peanuts compared to the World Cup and not a beneficial point of difference from all the other bidders of 2022. USA (7 olympics, 1 WC), South Korea (1 Olympics, 1 WC), Japan (3 Olypmics, 1 WC), Australia (2 Olympics).

Quote:
A World Cup in the Mideast will create a bridge between East and West, and have people converge in Qatar. It will also help create a better understanding of the region.
How's it working the other way around?
I would have though that hundreds of thousands of "Western" expats in the gulf countries working everyday would be challenging stereotypes and helping understanding.

Quote:
The high-profile international football friendly between Brazil and England last November boosted the profile of Qatar's bid to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
Again it is not a point of difference for your bid. All of Qatar's 2022 rivals have held numerous more similar events and many with something at stake.

Quote:
The Brazilian President has already pledged his country's full support for Qatar 2022, that means the Brazilian Ricardo Terra Teixeira will most certainly vote for Qatar.
Franz Beckenbauer would most likely vote for Qatar due to a German company building Qatar Railways which is also directly related to Qatar 2022 World Cup bid.
Mohammed Bin Hammam off course would support his country Qatar.
No it doesn't, Brazil will do what's strategically right for them and there sponsors (TV) which could mean the USA (time zones).

So is it a threat against german companies who have nothing to do with the German football's governing body and Franz Beckenbauer. Geez, maybe Australia should work with its mining companies and threaten supply if we don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
You need the world cup in order to do all that? Really?

Wouldn't a more direct showing of improvement in education be better by saying publishing improved results of Qatari students in worldwide education rankings? Or starting a native University attended by Qatari natives that is regarded among the best in the world.

I don't see how hiring Westerners to design hotels and venues and getting South Asians to build them is much of a display in "education"?

Wouldn't better roads, airports, stadiums, and hotels speak for themselves be worth doing on their own merits? You sound like a government agency spokesman for cripes sake.
+1

For the Qatari bid, besides the smoke and mirrors all I see is claims that don't separated it from the 2022 playing field. Enjoy our pretty renderings but don't dare ask us about serious substance. They talk of all the infrastructure which is being build and the others that "will" be built, "Eco-air con" and fan zones. All these things are a huge undertaking just to get to a level pegging with the other bids before they even start. Eco-air con is mute point when the other bids don't even need it and its massive expense just to be comfortable. The other bids have the stadia or are building because there is a financially sound demand for them regardless of WC. Desite what they say does anyone seriously believe Qatar needs 8 20000 seaters, 1 80000 seater and a 70000 seat athletics stadium if not only for the WC and Olympic bid.
The idea of a segregated Fan zone troubles me, that is not engagment and understanding, what about the Qatari culture people may want to see? No, sorry "western fun" only in the fan zone.
All other bids host "high-profile friendlies" far more often than Qatar (often with their own country of local team involved) if this was to prove a point about some Qatar has that the others don't?

Why should Qatar be allowed to have 12 venues in a area the same size as Greater Sydney when every other bid has had to organise with the consensus that FIFA will only allow one Metropolitan Area in a bid 2 venues but "may" be willing to compromise with 2 Metros under specific circumstances.

I just fail to see Qatar offering something that the other bidding nations haven't already matched, excelled or just don't need. FIFA giving them the World Cup would be moving the goalposts mid match, further damaging their credibility and setting a seriously awkward precedent.

Last edited by Walbanger; June 28th, 2010 at 09:13 AM.
Walbanger no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022