daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:37 PM   #81
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
I don't think Asian Games are the second largest sporting event !!!!!

1 FIFA World Cup
2 Summer Olympic Games
3 IRB Rugby World Cup
4 UEFA Euro
5 Winter Olympic Games
We can add: IAAF World Championships in Athletics, NFL Superbowl, UEFA Champions League Final ....
YES IT IS its the second largest multi-sport event in the world.....
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2009, 04:03 PM   #82
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
I think its just a matter of time before the WC ends up in the middle east, most probably a joint bid between the oil states. When that happens, there will not be the alcohol fueled scenes we have witnessed in past tournaments. That doesnt mean there wont be a party, it just means there will be a sober party. I honestly think FIFA is serious about making the cup a truly global event, and the arab/muslim/middle eastern world will get its turn. The rest of us will have to give up drinking to respect their customs when that happens.

But for now, disregarding everything else, there is one problem which makes the Qatar bid impossible -

FIFA will want all the stadiums filled, so that means it will want around 3 million spectators. Along with the ones who get tickets, there will be the ones that dont, so I think you could expect around 4 million visitors.

Where are these people going to sleep while they are in Qatar??? 2 foreigners will bunk down with each Qatari?
Sure qatar could build hotels, but who is going to staff them? And what a complete waste of money to build accommodation for 4 million which will sit completely empty in the future.
Qatar doesnt have the logistics to feed an extra 4 million people for a whole month.

Put simply, its too small. No amount of money can change that. I think they will require a joint bid if they want to host in the future.
Is it me or did you completely miss the pictures of NDIA that i posted ? when the airport opens (2011) it will be able to handle 50 million passengers, 2 million tonnes of cargo and 320,000 aircraft landings and take offs per year.......

By 2016 the population will be 2,400,000 and 3,000,000+ by 2022

Hotels are bieng built anyways (tourism is increasing in the country, as a proof... there are 2 companys for sea transport that signed a deal to have Doha as a permanent destinition in its world our, they are German companies)

Temporary housing could be built (they could be used later as residential units etc etc)
Old March 23rd, 2009, 04:21 PM   #83
RobH

Likes (Received): 10341

1. What will happen to all these stadiums after the WC has gone?

2. You rather skirted over woozoo's point about hotels merely saying there are some being built. Are we really talking about the quantity needed?

I still can't shake the feeling that this is a brilliant PR move from Qatar to get some worldwide exposure over the next year and a half.
RobH no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:40 PM   #84
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

we have a Qatari league, the Emirs Cup and the Hier Apperent's Cup, international matches and occasionally the Gulf cup.... (AFC Asian Cup Qatar 2011 is going to use most of the current stadiums + the wall stadium)

what ? the who is going to staff them question ? well, obviously employees !!
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:43 PM   #85
RobH

And the average attendence in this league is??
RobH no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:53 PM   #86
Quintana
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1158

Quote:
Originally Posted by QatPhils View Post
That's making fun isn't it! If nothing to say, then don't because it spoils the thread.
What gave it away?
Quintana no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:44 PM   #87
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
And the average attendence in this league is??
in a match or in all the matches together ???

in a regular match 3,000-5,000 spectators... when its a big match (big teams) it could rise to 10,000.....
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:45 PM   #88
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post

in a regular match 3,000-5,000 spectators... when its a big match (big teams) it could rise to 10,000.....
JYDA no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:50 PM   #89
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
For ONLY QATARIS that are intrested in football, trust me thats more than enough !! we Qataris are only 700,000..... and i forgot to mention that since its only Qataris i didnt add the Kuwait's and Saudi's that come for the match too..
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:10 PM   #90
RobH

Quote:

Quote:
For ONLY QATARIS that are intrested in football, trust me thats more than enough !!
Then why bother building 8 or 9 45,000+ seat stadiums?

Last edited by RobH; March 24th, 2009 at 01:15 AM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:57 PM   #91
Phevos
Madrid 2020

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Then why bother building 8 or 9 45,000+ seat stadiums?
Easy come, easy go....
Phevos no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #92
woozoo

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
what ? the who is going to staff them question ? well, obviously employees !!
Ok, international visitors to Qatar is expected to be 1.4 million in 2010. Even if that triples by 2022, you would have 4.2 million international visitors per year. Thats a similar amount to the total visitors expected for one month. This amount of excess visitors places a massive amount of strain on infrastructure. We're not talking about 4 million coming to a country like Netherlands with a population of 16 mil, and already used to a massive amount of visitors.

Where are the staff going to come from? Ok, temporary workers from Bangladesh, but where are they going to live? Ok, temporary accommodation.
You would be trippling the population of Qatar over the month. The logistics of getting food from the airport/port to warehouses, onto trucks and into stores and restaurants is huge. You would need a massive temporary upgrade in trucks, warehouse space, warehouse workers, shop staf etc etc etc. Its ALL very temporary. One month temporary in fact.
Billions of dollars spent on temporary stadiums which will not be used post WC.
Billions of dollars on hotels which will sit empty post WC.
Billions of dollars logistics not needed post WC.

Even if all this were possible, I cant see FIFA agreeing to such a plastic event.

Like I said, a joint bid in the future will probably be the go.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:38 AM   #93
woozoo

Likes (Received): 188

1 or 1.5 million people came for the world youth day in Sydney a year ago.

The city has a population of 4.5 million. The visitors entered and exited the country through various airports around the country, over the space of teo weeks, and many (hundreds of thousand) slept in tents in a massive park in the city.

Sydney receives 7.6 million domestic and 2.7 million international visitors each year.

And for the youth day, the city was at its maximum. We had international visitors staying in Melbourne and traveling up just for the day to put less strain on Sydney. And the amount of visitors was a third of the population, and one tenth of annual visitors.
I dont think you comprehend the strain that such an amount of people put on services.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #94
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9711

Quote:
1 or 1.5 million people came for the world youth day in Sydney a year ago.

The city has a population of 4.5 million. The visitors entered and exited the country through various airports around the country, over the space of teo weeks, and many (hundreds of thousand) slept in tents in a massive park in the city.

Sydney receives 7.6 million domestic and 2.7 million international visitors each year.

And for the youth day, the city was at its maximum. We had international visitors staying in Melbourne and traveling up just for the day to put less strain on Sydney. And the amount of visitors was a third of the population, and one tenth of annual visitors.
I dont think you comprehend the strain that such an amount of people put on services.
It was the same in Paris for the World Youth Day in 1997 (1M visitors in 1 week), even during world cups (football and rugby) while Paris (11,2 M inhabitants) is the first touristic destination in the World and very well equipped in hotels, services and facilities !!!

France (63 M inhabitants): 82 M Visitors/year, Paris: 48 M visitors (44% for business)
Paris: 154.745 Hotel rooms (by comparison 77.000 in New York City) In 2,508 hotels (81.000 Jobs in Hotel business)
Paris Airports: 90 M passengers/Year

I Think Qatar bid for FIFA world cup can't be taken seriously, you must have at least 10M or 15M inhabitants for "absorbing" a such big event !!
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #95
Massilia
Qatar forums

Likes (Received): 5

Qatar submitted a bid for the Olympics 2016, and its technical grade was better than Rio de Janeiro. Even if you don't personally believe in this bid, which I understand, it has to be taken seriously. It has been taken seriously by the IOC and will be even more by FIFA with which Qatar has closer ties.
Massilia no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #96
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
I Think Qatar bid for FIFA world cup can't be taken seriously, you must have at least 10M or 15M inhabitants for "absorbing" a such big event !!
Pretty sure it won't be taken too seriously. Sorry Qataris, but you've got zero chance of hosting either of the 2018 or 2022 World Cups.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #97
RobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massilia View Post
Qatar submitted a bid for the Olympics 2016, and its technical grade was better than Rio de Janeiro. Even if you don't personally believe in this bid, which I understand, it has to be taken seriously. It has been taken seriously by the IOC and will be even more by FIFA with which Qatar has closer ties.
Hosting an Olympics would be difficult in Qatar but possible as it is an event based around one city.

A world cup requires 8 or 9 cities each with a 45,000+ seat stadium, hotels, transport infrastructure, entertainment, policing etc. etc.

An Olympics places enormous pressure on one city, a world cup places a large amount of pressure on several. Greece, for example, could host an Olympics because it's a very centralised nation with one world-class city; it would, though, have real problems with a world cup.

Qatar is centralised to a much, much larger extent than Greece with 90% of the citizens living in one city! This is why Doha could host an Olympics (as the IOC recognised to an extent), but Qatar could never really pull off a world cup.

I'm sorry, but your comparison is not valid at all. They are completely different events with completely different requirements. Just because a city can host an Olympics, it doesn't mean the country it's in can host a world cup.
RobH no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #98
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Please, lets be serious now.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #99
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Ok, international visitors to Qatar is expected to be 1.4 million in 2010. Even if that triples by 2022, you would have 4.2 million international visitors per year. Thats a similar amount to the total visitors expected for one month. This amount of excess visitors places a massive amount of strain on infrastructure. We're not talking about 4 million coming to a country like Netherlands with a population of 16 mil, and already used to a massive amount of visitors.

Where are the staff going to come from? Ok, temporary workers from Bangladesh, but where are they going to live? Ok, temporary accommodation.
You would be trippling the population of Qatar over the month. The logistics of getting food from the airport/port to warehouses, onto trucks and into stores and restaurants is huge. You would need a massive temporary upgrade in trucks, warehouse space, warehouse workers, shop staf etc etc etc. Its ALL very temporary. One month temporary in fact.
Billions of dollars spent on temporary stadiums which will not be used post WC.
Billions of dollars on hotels which will sit empty post WC.
Billions of dollars logistics not needed post WC.

Even if all this were possible, I cant see FIFA agreeing to such a plastic event.

Like I said, a joint bid in the future will probably be the go.
Infrustructure is going on great, its called Qatar Transport Masterplan 2020, public transport is growing at a pace, more bus routes and bus stops are being opened, and Taxis are available all over Qatar.
Qatar Railways is approved and soon to start construction, involves Doha Metro and rail lines covering all of Qatar and connecting furthur to the GCC Rail project to connect all of the gulf.

Temporary accommodation could be used again.... like the temporary accommodation used for the 2006 Asian Games, its now being turned into a hospital and a nurses residence complex (opening 2011), ships could be used for accommodation too, its comforting and temporary, it could later be used to touristic purposes.

Temporary upgrade in trucks, trucks are already being upgraded, the worlds largest truck park opened earlier this year part of "Barwa Al-Baraha" AKA workers city, the truck park could hold 4000+ trucks at a time.

Who said the stadiums are temporary ? the stadium expansions will be permanent, and they will be used after the world cup definatley.

Tourism is rising very fast here so yeah the hotels your talking about will be in full capacity after the world cup.

Logistics are definatley needed, and more !!
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #100
RobH

Quote:
Who said the stadiums are temporary ? the stadium expansions will be permanent, and they will be used after the world cup definatley.
So...how will a league which attracts between 3000-5000 on average and pulls in 10000 for the big matches deal with 8 or 9 45,000+ seater stadiums?
RobH no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022