daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 28th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #981

Likes (Received): 1439

Nice renderings, but we just can't have a WC in june/july being in the middle of the desert.

FIFA has got to stop these crazy experiments and get back to basics.
1772 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #982
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post
".............. Thawadi said a design to cool those venues has not yet been devised.
“Technology evolves. You’ve got 12 years from now,” he said. “The cooling technology will be adapted in such a way to allow for the place to be cooled in an open-air place without the stands being there.”

In other words......
".........We have no idea,but lets pretend we do...they will give us the WC and we will deal with it later...Maybe advancement in technology before 2022 might improve............"
Quoted for truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
How's it working the other way around?
I would have though that hundreds of thousands of "Western" expats in the gulf countries working everyday would be challenging stereotypes and helping understanding.
That is what I would like to know.

Also if the WC isn't awarded to Qatar or even somewhere else in MENA there is less likelihood for world peace and tolerance? Is there a not so coded message/threat there? If we hang our hats on such silly quid-pro-pros for civilizational reconciliation I think we all may as well throw up our hands in futility and damn the human race for such stupidity.

Not to say that such extremely small symoblic gesture to such ends are OK but lets not make grandiose prepoustous promises or make our relations dependant on such things.

Last edited by nomarandlee; June 29th, 2010 at 12:06 PM.
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #983
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

^ Far better than I could have put it
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #984
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #985
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

If this bid is all about the region, then why not do the logical thing and spread the venues in the region.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #986
dean93
คนไทยไม่แพ้ชาติใดในโ ลก

Likes (Received): 3

very interesting bidding 1st time in Middle East..
dean93 no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #987
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

How could you guys say its "unproven" when its already in use in Qatar ? but its currently not "eco friendly"...

Stand fringe portholes breathe cooling air into the Al Sadd stadium (inset)

Take a careful look at the picture here. Look at the pitch surround, to the right of the goal at the front of the stand in the Al Sadd Stadium (14,000) in Doha, Qatar. Those small black portholes are not mere decoration. They serve a purpose – and a potentially revolutionary one at that.

One of the innovations with which Qatar expects to amaze FIFA during the 2022 World Cup bidding process is a system which cools the air temperature for players and fans.

"This reporter can say he has walked out onto pitch, “felt” the future - and it works."

Al Sadd was an appropriate club to invest in the initial system. This is the so-called “Real Madrid of the Gulf,” the richest club in Qatar and most successful with more than 300 cups glistening, glinting and gleaming in the trophy room.

More significant in the wider scheme of the game, however, is the air-cooling system. A power plant 100 yards from the stadium drives the 6,000 tonnes of refrigeration from chilled water through a pipeline network to the stadium and out through the 150 vents which fringe the pitch and are replicated beneath every seat around the ground.

Power plant

The temperature outside may be 35 or 40 degrees but within the stadium it can be held down at between 18 and 21 degrees – low enough to keep any gloved Nordic midfielder happy.

This is believed to be the first such system in the world and was installed and started up four months ago at a cost of around $20m. Already research scientists are working on refinements to ensure that future versions work to a carbon-lite, eco-friendly power system.

For the Qataris this is the most significant legacy component of their 2022 bid since they would promise to make the technology available further south in hotter climes where the need is greater – and not only, of course, for soccer in particular or sport in general.

"This is the first stadium to have this technology in the world. But the cooling system is powered by gas. For the 2022 World Cup, we want to develop the cooling effects from solar energy. We have planned it and we are capable to bring a new World Cup to the world. Yes, it will be new in terms of technology, in terms of marketing, in terms of compactness with regard to proximity of all the stadium which can make it possible for somebody to watch two matches in a day if he so wishes.

Infact, Sepp Blatter already attended the heir apparent's cup final at the Al-Sadd Stadium when he visited Qatar earlier.
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #988
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Alsadd Stadium 14,000 (not part of Qatar 2022 bid)

Old June 28th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #989
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
we are capable to bring a new World Cup to the world.
Who told you that the world needs a "new World Cup" ??? (especially after this one)

Most of fans, players, officials etc, rather want a more classical WC (i.e powerhouses of football or big markets)....
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #990
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Who told you that the world needs a "new World Cup" ??? (especially after this one)

Most of fans, players, officials etc, rather want a more classical WC (i.e powerhouses of football or big markets)....
New in terms of technology, and how compact the place is
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #991
Walbanger

Quote:
New in terms of technology, and how compact the place is
Technologies that are not necessary for the other bidding nations of 2022. So Compact that is contradicts FIFA requirments for all past World Cups of the Modern era.
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #992
Mo Rush

There is a difference between compact and just plain impossible.

Hosting 1 match in Cape Town with 3.5 million people is a major project that requires lots of resources, attempting to have 6-8 venues in 1 small city with the possibility of 4 simultaneous matches taking place is just laughable.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #993
Walbanger

Quote:

For Australia, USA, South Korea and Japan.
"Expect Substance without Hyperbole!"
Old June 28th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #994
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post

Hosting 1 match in Cape Town with 3.5 million people is a major project that requires lots of resources, attempting to have 6-8 venues in 1 small city with the possibility of 4 simultaneous matches taking place is just laughable.

That makes me think:
During the Rugby WC 2007 in France, 1 day before England-South Africa (1st round) played at the Stade de France (80K), our national football team played a game against Scotland (EURO 2008 qualif.) at the Parc des Princes (50K), and believe me, Paris was a real bloody mess during 2 days with all the foreign/Brit supporters everywhere in the city-center & public transports, not to mentions the casual tourists.. And Paris is 10+ times bigger than Doha is..... But Doha plans to host 4 games simultaneously/per day during its WC

That's why FIFA wants several cities (with a limited number of host stadiums per city), in order to prevent that kind of issues !
Old June 28th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #995
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
That makes me think:
During the Rugby WC 2007 in France, 1 day before England-South Africa (1st round) played at the Stade de France (80K), our national football team played a game against Scotland (EURO 2008 qualif.) at the Parc des Princes (50K), and believe me, Paris was a real bloody mess during 2 days with all the foreign/Brit supporters everywhere in the city-center & public transports, not to mentions the casual tourists.. And Paris is 10+ times bigger than Doha is..... But Doha plans to host 4 games simultaneously/per day during its WC

That's why FIFA wants several cities (with a limited number of host stadiums per city), in order to prevent that kind of issues !
Cape Town hosted France Uruguay on 11 June and France South Africa (Rugby) on 12 June, everything was fine.

But to even consider hosting so many matches in Cape Town, across 6-8 venues is a joke.

I don't think they understand the scale of the event.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #996
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Quote:
Cape Town hosted France Uruguay on 11 June and France South Africa (Rugby) on 12 June, everything was fine.
Because there weren't 100,000 French fans traveling for the 2 Games !!

For the games I just mentioned (as usual actually with Brit fans in Paris) there were approx. 60,000 English rugby fans + 40,000 Scottish football supporters the same day in Paris (many without tickets of course), not to mention maybe about 10,000/20,000 South Africans (mostly from London) !!!

Last edited by parcdesprinces; June 28th, 2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #997
Mo Rush

I only mentioned it because FIFA did not want the rugby event to happen during the world cup as it may have affected resources which are required for the world cup.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #998
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I only mentioned it because FIFA did not want the rugby event to happen during the world cup as it may have affected resources which are required for the world cup.
what? a drain on the available supply of vuvuzelas?
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #999
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

How does the Qatar bid relate to Vuvuzelas, rugby and France vs Uruguay ??

BTW, Mo, you still didn't do my request of thread title change....
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #1000
Mo Rush

You need more cities. Thats how it relates.
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022