daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 28th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #1001
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
There is a difference between compact and just plain impossible.

Hosting 1 match in Cape Town with 3.5 million people is a major project that requires lots of resources, attempting to have 6-8 venues in 1 small city with the possibility of 4 simultaneous matches taking place is just laughable.
Please list the so called "stadiums" that Qatar is proposing in one city..., i want to see 6-8 in the list...
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #1002
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

^12 stadiums in an approximate area the same as Greater Sydney illustrates the point appropriately.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #1003
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
How does the Qatar bid relate to Vuvuzelas, rugby and France vs Uruguay ??

BTW, Mo, you still didn't do my request of thread title change....
all jokes aside, read the posts

they are pointing out major cities like Paris struggled traffic and commuter wise to cope with two major footy events happening on the same day

the qatar bid will be seeing up to 4 a day happen in one city a day, and the vast majority played there over the 2 weeks

you talk about hosting Asian Games and the like, but I'll give you one bit of feedback. I was inconvenienced by the Comm Games in Melbourne. Meant I had to avoid the city, but I could still get around and do my job.

The WC is much bigger than this, and the only thing that comes close is the Olympics.

For the Sydney Olympics, I was really surprised that we were effected, and we were not even the host city. you have the physical stuff like interstate travel for work grinding to a halt, to the fact the whole town is obsessed for 2 weeks. Every restaurant and bar is packed with people watching on TV in public just because they want to "share" the event. even work meetings you had to double check because it was not uncommon for offices to stop to watch certain events.

In Sydney my mates tell me it was something else. Traffic as expected was a mess. Many businesses went on go-slow for a month because they knew it would be difficult to run as normal. For two weeks, life in the city stopped as everything was about hosting the Olympics.

Sydney coped, but it took all of the resources of the city to do it (plus support from interstate who hosted many of the football matches). Qatar has about a third of the population, and is going to try to take on the same task without the same interstate network being able to soak some of the load.

Not saying its impossible, but it will take more than a slogan to pull off what will be a mammoth task
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #1004
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
all jokes aside, read the posts

they are pointing out major cities like Paris struggled traffic and commuter wise to cope with two major footy events happening on the same day

the qatar bid will be seeing up to 4 a day happen in one city a day, and the vast majority played there over the 2 weeks

you talk about hosting Asian Games and the like, but I'll give you one bit of feedback. I was inconvenienced by the Comm Games in Melbourne. Meant I had to avoid the city, but I could still get around and do my job.

The WC is much bigger than this, and the only thing that comes close is the Olympics.

For the Sydney Olympics, I was really surprised that we were effected, and we were not even the host city. you have the physical stuff like interstate travel for work grinding to a halt, to the fact the whole town is obsessed for 2 weeks. Every restaurant and bar is packed with people watching on TV in public just because they want to "share" the event. even work meetings you had to double check because it was not uncommon for offices to stop to watch certain events.

In Sydney my mates tell me it was something else. Traffic as expected was a mess. Many businesses went on go-slow for a month because they knew it would be difficult to run as normal. For two weeks, life in the city stopped as everything was about hosting the Olympics.

Sydney coped, but it took all of the resources of the city to do it (plus support from interstate who hosted many of the football matches). Qatar has about a third of the population, and is going to try to take on the same task without the same interstate network being able to soak some of the load.

Not saying its impossible, but it will take more than a slogan to pull off what will be a mammoth task
You could take the GCC area as "support", currently the GCC countries are slowly going for a unified tourist visa for all 6 countries (Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, UAE, Oman & Qatar) this would make things much easier, by 2017 we would have the GCC railnetwork linking all 6 countris by rail, most countries including Qatar are developing their own metro networks. the airports available in and around Qatar also help, Bahrain, Abudhabi, Dubai, Dammam and Doha International Airports not to mention the world's largest airport (Dubai World Central), that "helps". Other than that, the national metro network which would support the highways that are being built and renovated all the time. not forgetting the direct bridge (also has rail) that will connect Bahrain to Qatar, this is where the GCC unified tourist visa helps since some tourists could stay in Bahrain and go to Qatar for a match and come back the same day.

Oh and Mo Rush, i am waiting for that list of yours...
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #1005
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
You could take the GCC area as "support", currently the GCC countries are slowly going for a unified tourist visa for all 6 countries (Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, UAE, Oman & Qatar) this would make things much easier, by 2017 we would have the GCC railnetwork linking all 6 countris by rail, most countries including Qatar are developing their own metro networks. the airports available in and around Qatar also help, Bahrain, Abudhabi, Dubai, Dammam and Doha International Airports not to mention the world's largest airport (Dubai World Central), that "helps". Other than that, the national metro network which would support the highways that are being built and renovated all the time. not forgetting the direct bridge (also has rail) that will connect Bahrain to Qatar, this is where the GCC unified tourist visa helps since some tourists could stay in Bahrain and go to Qatar for a match and come back the same day.
But these countries will not be hosting games. When we had the Olympics, everyone talked about the tourists coming to Sydney and then touring the joint. For the most part, it didn't happen.

People go to the city hosting there events, then go to what ever tourist joint they plan to after they are done.

You will not have people staying in Bahrain/Kuwait/Saudi/Oman/UAE, people they hate commuting for work, and they hate it even more on holiday. They will want to stay at the city they are watching the game/s in.
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #1006
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

AlShamal Stadium, in the extreme north of Qatar would benefit from close connections to nearby Bahrain, the Stadium will also have a highways adjacent to it, a metro connection, water taxi services & bus links.

AlWakrah Stadium part of Alwakrah sport city will be located adjacent to a major highway, it is part of the city's masterplan it will have a nearby metro connection and a bus link.

AlKhor Stadium will be the new icon for Alkhor city in the North-east of the Qatari peninsula, will be situated next to a highway. It will have bus links, metro station nearby and a water taxi service.

Lusail National Stadium will be situated at Lusail city, near by the Lusail racing circuit, it will be situated next to a highway, will have a metro station nearby and bus links.

these are a few of the stadiums proposed by Qatar 2022 bid, and all of them are outside Doha...
Old June 28th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #1007
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

This bid is really just.

Doha - and 12 suburbs... wtf..?
Solopop no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #1008
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
But these countries will not be hosting games. When we had the Olympics, everyone talked about the tourists coming to Sydney and then touring the joint. For the most part, it didn't happen.

People go to the city hosting there events, then go to what ever tourist joint they plan to after they are done.

You will not have people staying in Bahrain/Kuwait/Saudi/Oman/UAE, people they hate commuting for work, and they hate it even more on holiday. They will want to stay at the city they are watching the game/s in.
Dude we have Bahrain's working in Qatar and they go back to their country every Thursday on a 15 minute flight between Doha and Bahrain, they come back on Saturday... and i was referring to Bahrain especially due to their close location, their hotels will help not mentioning their local metro and the direct link to Qatar and Doha International Airport.

Don't forget the local populations of Bahrain, UAE & Saudi Arabia will most probably want to get involved into this event.

And i think it would be easier since the tourist's from outside the GCC will have many airlines to choose from (other than their local airlines) such as Qatar Airways, Emirates, Etihad, Saudi Arabian and Gulf Air.
Old June 28th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #1009
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9711

I'm sorry but it's as silly as saying that a Brazilian or an Japanese fan will stay in Paris (2h by Eurostar trains from London) or even in Lille (1h by Eurostar from London) and will cross the Channel twice a day during London 2012 or England 2018
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #1010
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
I'm sorry but it's as silly as saying that a Brazilian or an Japanese fan will stay in Paris (2h by Eurostar trains from London) or even in Lille (1h by Eurostar from London) and will cross the Channel twice a day during London 2012 or England 2018
you don't realise how short distances are... the fans leave in the morning, go to the matches, have fun and then go back at evening, no harm done... and they could go to more than one match in a day all over the country thanks to the 320KM long metro network.
Old June 28th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #1011
different

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Dude we have Bahrain's working in Qatar and they go back to their country every Thursday on a 15 minute flight between Doha and Bahrain, they come back on Saturday... and i was referring to Bahrain especially due to their close location, their hotels will help not mentioning their local metro and the direct link to Qatar and Doha International Airport.

Don't forget the local populations of Bahrain, UAE & Saudi Arabia will most probably want to get involved into this event.

And i think it would be easier since the tourist's from outside the GCC will have many airlines to choose from (other than their local airlines) such as Qatar Airways, Emirates, Etihad, Saudi Arabian and Gulf Air.
So where do you expect the tourists going in Doha when there's no games at scorching heat of 37-46C ?
different no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #1012
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by different View Post
So where do you expect the tourists going in Doha when there's no games at scorching heat of 37-46C ?
There are plenty of Malls, Museums, heritage sites and entertainment centers available, are you ignorant enough to think there is only a couple of tents and sand in this country ??

Besides, Bahrain & Dubai are a couple of kilometers away by land, rail and plane.
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #1013
crazyalex

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
This bid is really just.

Doha - and 12 suburbs... wtf..?
Each suburbs will have 40,000 - 80,000 seat stadium
crazyalex no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #1014
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyalex View Post
Each suburbs will have 40,000 - 80,000 seat stadium
In reality its already like that, but here we go the next step and add another stadium to every suburb (if thats what you call them... )

Alkhor, Alwakrah and Alshamal already have one stadium in each city, yet they go the next step and build an entirely new stadium for each of these cities.
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #1015
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Made this really quickly, I made it as accurate as possible...
Red dots are stadiums, Pink box's are airports, Green lines are causeways/bridges and maroon lines are metro...

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #1016
gavstar00

Likes (Received): 133

[QUOTE=Qatar Son 333;59446361]Made this really quickly, I made it as accurate as possible...
Red dots are stadiums, Pink box's are airports, Green lines are causeways/bridges and maroon lines are metro...

[/

So people come to Qatar for the football and then leave to visit surrounding countries when they're looking for something to do in between matches?
gavstar00 no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #1017
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

you shouldn't have quoted the image, the qoute went wrong too... , moving on.. well with a unified GCC tourist visa and GCC currency i think people will have the likely choice of staying in Doha or Bahrain during the World Cup, the rest of the rough drawing was to show that Qatar is surrounded by many international hubs especially Dubai world central (World's largest airport) so tourists etc would have more options on which airlines to use and which airports if direct flights to Doha are full etc etc. also as you said since there will be a GCC railway not to mention the heavy load of flights between cities, fans could perhaps visit places like Bahrain and Dubai if they wish.
Old June 29th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #1018
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 145

You do know that this is a total pipedream, right?
Archbishop no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #1019
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

@Qatarson333

Quite frankly your average tourist or spectator doens't want to wait around in other airports. They want to get to the city and stay in the city...
Solopop no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #1020
qatarson
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

some people here gossip to no avail they are wasting their times while the Qataris working to achieve their goal.

Qatar will host the 2022 Football World Cup by Spiro Zavos
The Roar, Australia

Football politics is a hard ball game, where ambition, treachery, corruption, political and economic influence, perfumed or manured by vast dollops of money, dictate the outcome of every major decision. It is this heady milieu that makes it almost inevitable that Qatar, a fabulously rich country, will win the hosting rights to the 2022 Football World Cup.

An informed source has told me that the FIFA president, Joseph S. Blatter, Sepp Blatter to the punters, wants another term as presiding official of world football. But the chairman of the Qatar’s 2022 Bid Commitee, His Excellency Sheik Mohammed bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, has the numbers to prevent this.

A deal will be done to square this circle.
Blatter will get his final term as present. And Qatar will win the hosting rights to the 2022 Football World Cup.

A deal cut this way effectively kills off the bids from the USA (which could not win its latest Olympic hosting bid); Japan (which has already hosted a Football World Cup); and Australia (which is out its league in a world of big finance football politics played for the highest of stakes).

The heart of the Qatar bid, aside from the politicking of getting Blatter another term as FIFA president, involves a geo-political consideration that the Middle East region is a powerhouse and a powder keg.

FIFA, like the IOC, likes to think of itself as an organisation that uses sport, in this case football, as a force for peace in the world.

The Qatar bid has 750 pages.

It has 2,000 pages of supplementary documents and covers in great detail all the relevant issues ranging from accommodation, transport, security, environment and stadium infrastructure. This massive documentation is backed up with all the required government guarantees and agreements.

The bid is an example of money not talking but actually shouting out its power and authority.

It is not entirely beyond the bounds of belief that if a successful Football World Cup is held in Qatar, that FIFA could be in line for a Nobel Prize for Peace. The appeal of this to the marketing programs and self-esteem of FIFA, which boasts it has more member nations than the United Nations, cannot be over-estimated.

Qatar’s 22-chapter bid document makes the case that if it wins the hosting rights, 2022 will be the first World Cup held in the Middle East.

“In Qatar, history and the future will come together in an historic choice of Host Nation, in a global age with medias and technology bringing continents closer together – Qatar is truly in the Middle, neither East not West. Qatar proposes a World Cup that will perfectly reflect the FIFA slogan: ‘For the Game: for the World.’”

Qatar has the third largest gas reserves in the world:14 per cent of all the known resereves. It has the highest or second highest (after Liechenstein, depending on the source) per capita income in the world, and the fastest growing income.

It has the tiny population, however, of 1 million, swollen to about 2 million with foreign workers and business people.

On the face of it, it is improbable that such a small country in terms of population, with a climate that makes it unbearable to be outside for most of the year, could hope to host a football tournament that involves 32 teams and 12 stadiums.

But the bid makes clear that all the stadiums will have “ground-breaking” cooling systems, fan zones and training grounds: “Fans, players and officials will be able to enjoy cool and comfortable open-air conditions, not exceeding 27 degrees celsius climate.”

The state of the art cooling modules and some of the modular stadiums will be given to developing countries after the 2022 tournament. The carbon-neutral technology developed for the tournament will create enough solar power for energy to be put into the national grid when the stadiums are not in use.

The Middle East, African and Asian nations (the Third World bloc) are certain to support Qatar’s bid.

Europe, also, because of the convenience and time-zone considerations of a tournament based in Qatar, together with the deals that the major nations can tie-up with Qatar and its supporters on the Arabian, will come on board.

Blatter will bring in the South American countries.

It’s hard to see in all of this just where Australia hopes to get votes for its bid.

Its football team is higher ranked than Qatar’s. But so is New Zealand’s. Australia may be new territory for FIFA to bless with a World Cup tournament.

But so is the Middle East.

The Qatar football team is out of its league on the field. But off the field, Qatar is very much a big player in world and football politics. This weight will be too much for FIFA to resist when it comes to naming the host of the 2022 Football World Cup.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/06/29/qatar-will-host-the-2022-football-world-cup/
qatarson no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022