daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old August 15th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #1321
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

@T74, We have already had outdoor air conditioning for stadiums, and it has been going great. The only difference is the technology used, the current use is not Eco friendly, but what the 2022 bid proposes is solar-powered & carbon neutral outdoor cooling. in fact, The FIFA president himself was present during the final of the heir apparent's cup at the Al-Sadd stadium, he himself witnessed the current cooling technologies. Cool 18 degree's air is blown under each spectator seat and on the pitch as well.

So the showcase will demonstrate how the carbon neutral technology will work and prove that it works, NOT proving what already has been implemented and what is already in use. Since outdoor cooling has already been done, but not Eco friendly.

Al-Sadd Stadium

@Walbanger, In the many articles and bid announcements, they have repeated that no matter how hot the temperature outside the stadium is, the temperature inside the stadium will not be higher than 27 degrees, so 27 is a "maximum" which is ideal for the players and the spectators.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #1322
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1102

Ok, thanks
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #1323
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17785

With so much sunlight in the Persian Gulf, if the technology is able to harness the sun and translate that into A/C, that will be such a huge breakthrough.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #1324
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
With so much sunlight in the Persian Gulf, if the technology is able to harness the sun and translate that into A/C, that will be such a huge breakthrough.
Well it will not "technically" work like that, The idea is that during daytime the power will be harnessed and be given into the national power grid, everyday, and when a match comes and the power for lightning and cooling is needed, power will be taken from the national power grid, thus maintaining a carbon neutral and energy efficient outdoor cooling system.
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:59 AM   #1325
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
Well it will not "technically" work like that, The idea is that during daytime the power will be harnessed and be given into the national power grid, everyday, and when a match comes and the power for lightning and cooling is needed, power will be taken from the national power grid, thus maintaining a carbon neutral and energy efficient outdoor cooling system.

I actually was not aware there are solar-powered air-conditioners. It would be a very innovative product that can be introduced to the tropical regions. I was wondering what companies are researching this area. So I presume Qatar has this technology so to cool down an entire outdoor venue?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #1326
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

What would happen after the World Cup to these Stadia with air conditioning?
Will those be distributed to households in Qatar?
Have any radical ideas for the later usage?
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #1327
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
The idea is that during daytime the power will be harnessed and be given into the national power grid, everyday, and when a match comes and the power for lightning and cooling is needed, power will be taken from the national power grid, thus maintaining a carbon neutral and energy efficient outdoor cooling system.
Vow, What a revelation - Usage of Solar panels and grid reciprocity?
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #1328
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh_sfo View Post
What would happen after the World Cup to these Stadia with air conditioning?
Will those be distributed to households in Qatar?
Have any radical ideas for the later usage?
And why should they be distributed to households ??? every house/building in Qatar has its own air conditioning system (for obvious reasons).

I don't see the problem with the cooling system, it should stay at the stadiums so we could have future events in summer as well. Not to mention that another technology is being developed to air condition out door "open" spaces, such as fan zones, training pitches, walkways between stadiums and metro stations etc.

To avoid white elephants the modular upper tiers of some stadiums will be dismantled and donated to developing countries in need of sports infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh_sfo View Post
Vow, What a revelation - Usage of Solar panels and grid reciprocity?
But its still carbon neutral and energy efficient.
Old August 16th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #1329
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

^

White elephants no matter what you'll have them.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #1330
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
^

White elephants no matter what you'll have them.
Proof ?

Even if we go away from football a bit, most venues are used all year round, for example, although the seasons are over now and they are yet to start, its Ramadan, and Ramadan has several functions including sport championships, tourneys, cups etc. So most indoor sport halls are busy now, in fact I have a Futsal match to attend in 4 hours.
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #1331
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Who said joint bids do not comply? We've had them before and whislt FIFA have always said they prefer individual countries where possible, they haven't ruled out joint hosts. I suspect they'll look more favourably on Bel/Ned as its a genuine joint bid unlike Spa/Por which is lopsided and has one partner which could easily host alone.
Its pretty common knowledge but anyway-

"The 2002 FIFA World Cup was co-hosted in Asia for the first time by South Korea and Japan. Initially, the two Asian countries were competitors in the bidding process. But just before the vote, they agreed with FIFA to co-host the event. However, the rivalry and distance between them led to organizational and logistical problems. FIFA has said that co-hosting is not likely to happen again, and in 2004 officially stated that its statutes did not allow co-hosting bids"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_hosts
_X_ no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #1332
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Actually there has been a change in the past 2 months,which is good for Spatugal and Benelux

"On the bidding process for hosting the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups
The main point of interest is that the FIFA Executive Committee has formally accepted the principle of member associations co-hosting the tournaments. We received joint bids from Spain and Portugal, as well as from Belgium and the Netherlands. We have gone through the two bids and both of them involve just one, unified Local Organising Committee. In Korea/Japan in 2002, there were two separate Organising Committees, which gave the impression at times that there were two different World Cups taking place. Having been reassured that we would not find ourselves in the same situation again in 2018 or 2022, the principle of a joint bid was approved."

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federa...d=1230904.html
_X_ no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #1333
ImBoredNow
I have no life : (

Likes (Received): 192

Hey Qatar Son 333.
I have a request my friend. Can you X-Post some of the Venues for the 2011 Asian Cup in the following thread:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...9#post62247259
Here's the list of Venues:
Khalifa Stadium
Al Gharafa Stadium
Qatar Sports Club Stadium
Al Rayyan Stadium
Al Sadd Stadium
Thank You man.
ImBoredNow no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #1334
crazyalex

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceBittenTwiceShy View Post

remind me Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban. South Africa
crazyalex no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #1335
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyalex View Post

remind me Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban. South Africa
But smaller and nowhere near as good design wise.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2010, 11:38 PM   #1336
emil_tdk

Likes (Received): 103

QATAR - FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022 is similar if LICHTENSTEIN tries to get FIFA World Cup as well..i think Qatar will get its chance in 2050.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 03:18 AM   #1337
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceBittenTwiceShy View Post
The superficial Qatar bid doesn't breath football but ill-placed window-dressing. Money can't buy authenticity. I wouldn't be surprised if a bid for hosting the Winter Olympics is in the making.
There is a bid to host the 2020 Summer Olympics in Doha. but lets stick to the thread topic.

we have 12 years to develop our national team. Other than that sports is all around Qatar, in fact, its the sports capital of the middle east. Sports all year round.

for example. recently, Qatar Menís Junior handball and Qatar Menís Youth handball teams have both won the Asian championship, and have booked their ticket for the 2011 World championship. that should be counted as success.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 03:53 AM   #1338
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:

for example. recently, Qatar Menís Junior handball and Qatar Menís Youth handball teams have both won the Asian championship, and have booked their ticket for the 2011 World championship. that should be counted as success.
...lol
Will737 no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2010, 03:59 AM   #1339
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Some of the Qatars have done themselves any favors in this thread with their arrogance and jingoism but others should really be above such nasty talk as on this page.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:16 AM   #1340
Kenni
What?

This is the absolutely last call to order. Since when did these topics turn into a battle ground? They weren't this way before.

From now on, sanctions will be implemented to members with ill attitudes that deviate the true purpose of this forum.

This goes for ALL thread s in Stadiums and Sports Arenas
Kenni no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022