daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:39 AM   #1361
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder_2010 View Post
1. 2018 I think will goto europe
2. England and Russia have footballing history and they have big leagues with stadiums already established. Russia has to work on their stadiums but can easily get there. Qatar can also get their stadiums no doubt.
3. Qatar is much smaller in terms of land mass compared to the above mentioned countries which is nice which means less travel but not many major cities like in England or Russia or Australia
4. The 2 above mentione countries will also provide more bang for the buck for the visiting tourist. England and Russia to me are definitely more thrilling and enticing to visit than Qatar (no offense) for the same reason - value for money
5. Australia - Another option that also provides more value to the tourist and can easily grow the sport there. A-League is getting bigger. Well established stadiums already there, transportation getting there from city to city.
1. Qatar is bidding for the 2022 FIFA World Cup only since the beginning. They planned for it since the beginning, they knew 2018 is impossible.
2. Unlike Australia or the USA, It will be a historic decision to bring the world cup to the middle east , its strong selling point for Qatar. It would be a compact world cup and people can experience each of the participating countries and cultures. It is going to be unique for fans; it will be a family oriented world cup. Fans could travel match to match in 30 minutes.
3. Qatar is also having a fast developing football league, not to mention a women's league to start this year. (take note this is the middle east.).
4. Great sport event hosting history, these provide stepping stones to the big events such as the FIFA World Cup or the Summer Olympics.
5. It all comes down to 24 FIFA Executive committee members at a meeting, giving their votes. Bin Hammam, AFC president & FIFA Executive committee member has announced his support for his country Qatar, Brazil has announced its full backing of the Qatari bid and are looking for the possibility of investing in the bid and the country, this might mean that the Brazilian member would vote for Qatar. South Africa (2010 FIFA World Cup hosts) has announced its support for the Qatari bid. The Arab Soccer Federation (ASF), which has all Arab countries football associations will stand by the Qatari bid.
6. The world cup will help promote Qatar's brand internationally. The event will also boost the country's reputation as an open/friendly destination to other cultures and nationalities.
7. A world cup in the Mideast will create a bridge between the East and West, and have people converge in Qatar. It will also help create a better understanding of the region.
8. All of Qatar's proposed 12 stadiums will be situated strategically close to major landmarks of the country, showcasing the country's Arabian heritage and timeless beauty to visiting fans and players alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder_2010 View Post
I think a joint bid from Qatar-Bahrain-UAE would have been excellent
If Qatar doesn't succeed in the 2022 race, I do hope Qatar & UAE Co-bid next time they eye the FIFA World Cup.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:12 AM   #1362
pathfinder_2010
Registered User
 
pathfinder_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 669
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder_2010 View Post
1. 2018 I think will goto europe
2. England and Russia have footballing history and they have big leagues with stadiums already established. Russia has to work on their stadiums but can easily get there. Qatar can also get their stadiums no doubt.
3. Qatar is much smaller in terms of land mass compared to the above mentioned countries which is nice which means less travel but not many major cities like in England or Russia or Australia
4. The 2 above mentione countries will also provide more bang for the buck for the visiting tourist. England and Russia to me are definitely more thrilling and enticing to visit than Qatar (no offense) for the same reason - value for money
5. Australia - Another option that also provides more value to the tourist and can easily grow the sport there. A-League is getting bigger. Well established stadiums already there, transportation getting there from city to city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder_2010 View Post
I think a joint bid from Qatar-Bahrain-UAE would have been excellent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
1. Qatar is bidding for the 2022 FIFA World Cup only since the beginning. They planned for it since the beginning, they knew 2018 is impossible.
2. Unlike Australia or the USA, It will be a historic decision to bring the world cup to the middle east , its strong selling point for Qatar. It would be a compact world cup and people can experience each of the participating countries and cultures. It is going to be unique for fans; it will be a family oriented world cup. Fans could travel match to match in 30 minutes.
3. Qatar is also having a fast developing football league, not to mention a women's league to start this year. (take note this is the middle east.).
4. Great sport event hosting history, these provide stepping stones to the big events such as the FIFA World Cup or the Summer Olympics.
5. It all comes down to 24 FIFA Executive committee members at a meeting, giving their votes. Bin Hammam, AFC president & FIFA Executive committee member has announced his support for his country Qatar, Brazil has announced its full backing of the Qatari bid and are looking for the possibility of investing in the bid and the country, this might mean that the Brazilian member would vote for Qatar. South Africa (2010 FIFA World Cup hosts) has announced its support for the Qatari bid. The Arab Soccer Federation (ASF), which has all Arab countries football associations will stand by the Qatari bid.
6. The world cup will help promote Qatar's brand internationally. The event will also boost the country's reputation as an open/friendly destination to other cultures and nationalities.
7. A world cup in the Mideast will create a bridge between the East and West, and have people converge in Qatar. It will also help create a better understanding of the region.
8. All of Qatar's proposed 12 stadiums will be situated strategically close to major landmarks of the country, showcasing the country's Arabian heritage and timeless beauty to visiting fans and players alike.



If Qatar doesn't succeed in the 2022 race, I do hope Qatar & UAE Co-bid next time they eye the FIFA World Cup.
Good info there. Didnt know Qatar was bidding only for 2022 which is approx. 12 years from now. Qatar would definitely change between now and then with more and more foreign investment and definitely the sport would get bigger there.
I was in Doha for abt 14 hrs during transit in July but stayed in a hotel near the airport. It was hottttt and humid in the night which is expected. I wish I could have seen more of the city.. maybe next time.
Dec 2nd is a big day
pathfinder_2010 no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #1363
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder_2010 View Post
Good info there. Didnt know Qatar was bidding only for 2022 which is approx. 12 years from now. Qatar would definitely change between now and then with more and more foreign investment and definitely the sport would get bigger there.
I was in Doha for abt 14 hrs during transit in July but stayed in a hotel near the airport. It was hottttt and humid in the night which is expected. I wish I could have seen more of the city.. maybe next time.
Dec 2nd is a big day
This is why the solar powered outdoor cooling technologies at the stadiums are crucial for this bid, it will keep the players to their optimum performance, in addition to comforting spectators. the same technology will be used for training pitches, fan zones/fests and walkways between metro stations - stadiums.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #1364
Will737
...
 
Will737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Me!bourne
Posts: 889
Likes (Received): 36

Bla bla bla qatar is small bla bla. Seriously, my view on this bid is changing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
2. Unlike Australia or the USA, It will be a historic decision to bring the world cup to the middle east , its strong selling point for Qatar. It would be a compact world cup and people can experience each of the participating countries and cultures. It is going to be unique for fans; it will be a family oriented world cup. Fans could travel match to match in 30 minutes.
It would also be historic if it went to Australia - first WC in Oceania. Australia has more claim to the WC than Qatar (and America) though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Oh sod off.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #1365
gavstar00
Registered User
 
gavstar00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 371
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will737 View Post
It would also be historic if it went to Australia - first WC in Oceania. Australia has more claim to the WC than Qatar (and America) though.
Thank you for pointing this out Will - it seems to me that a major crux of the Qatari bid is the fact that it'd be the first Middle Eastern bid with no one realising the fact that the Oz bid is exactly the same for your region!

From what i've read and heard about football in Australia, it'd appear it is on the up and the potential gains the sport could make off the back of a successful World Cup bid would make you guys a pretty good bet. The fact that your country has had a footballing pedigree for some years now competing in a finals (3 times I believe but please correct me if I'm wrong?) and have seen the likes of Mark Schwarzer, Lucas Neill, Tim Cahill, Mark Viduka etc. compete in some of the top leagues in Europe i think this further enhances your bid

The Qatari bid is admirable in some senses, the novel approaches to the issues with the hot climate etc. and should be commended. But as good as these are I don't see Qatar winning because there are the inescapable facts that cannot be discounted - Qatar as a nation is simply too small and to condense a World Cup down into such a compact country won't work. As many have commented (myself included earlier in the thread), a joint bid with one of its neighbours could have given the bid the additional geographic scope, allow more people access to the World Cup experience, allow more nations to benefit from the obvious long term effects of holding the World Cup.

I won't say it was arrogant of the Qatari's to go it alone as they feel they can bring something different to the table but I still think the Australian bid could beat it by some distance
gavstar00 no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #1366
_X_
Registered User
 
_X_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Geelong,Australia
Posts: 1,387
Likes (Received): 510

If I may ask,what was the reason Qatar didn't play its first International until just 40 years ago?
__________________
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #1367
waqif
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 200
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
If I may ask,what was the reason Qatar didn't play its first International until just 40 years ago?
in 40's Qatar was under colonial powers as Palestine today
before 1925 Qatar was part of the Islamic Empire
waqif no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #1368
T74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 622
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
If I may ask,what was the reason Qatar didn't play its first International until just 40 years ago?
Qatar only became independent in 1971
T74 no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #1369
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Since we are talking about Qatar's history (& Football history)...

The history of Qatar football dates back to the late 1940s. Oil workers brought the game here and it soon caught the imagination of the local men.
The first club, Al Najah, was launched in 1950 while the first major tournament was organised in Dukhan a year later. The Qatar League was started in 1963-64 season. The Qatar Football Association was formed in 1960 and officially recognised by FIFA in 1972. The country made its international debut the same year against neighboring Bahrain.

December 18, 1878 (Founding the State of Qatar)
September 3, 1971 (Independence from the British)

Population growth of Qatar:

late 1960s, 70,000
2000, 744,483
2010, 1,696,563

Doha 1953


1959


1971


1980


2000
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #1370
pathfinder_2010
Registered User
 
pathfinder_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 669
Likes (Received): 5

How many of the 1.6m population are Qatari citizens ?
pathfinder_2010 no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #1371
Walbanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,242
Likes (Received): 1113

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder_2010 View Post
How many of the 1.6m population are Qatari citizens ?
Well I once said there were only around 400 000 citizens in this thread and I was accused of trolling and insulting Qatari's because of it .

I've looked it up on numerous sources from American, Iranian, UAE and independent and the lowest estimate was 150 000 in 2002 and the highest was 350 000 citizens in 2008. The Qatari sources only talk about population (which includes transient labours from the sub continent), not the number of Qatari nationals but there was mention of population projections of 4.1 to 4.7% from 1970 when the population was 42000 which makes the 350 000 figure sound possible given a subsequent percentage increase (if it stayed at 4.7% the citizen population would be around 264000).
Most population articals about Qatar refer to the Gender imbalance or that 84% to 90% live in Doha metro.

The Qatari Information Exchange has a page on population structure which has no figures for citizens. It also has a page for publications on the topic with no publications.

http://www.orientplanet.com/Press_Releases_Jan4.htm
The above link suggests that Qatari Citizens could be as low as 13% of the population.

Last edited by Walbanger; August 25th, 2010 at 07:09 PM.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #1372
waqif
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 200
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Well I once said there were only around 400 000 citizens in this thread and I was accused of trolling and insulting Qatari's because of it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
The above link suggests that Qatari Citizens could be as low as 13% of the population.
400,000 is 13% of Qatar population that mean Qatar population is over 4 million

Qatari's 600,000 and permanent residents 400000 and the rest working in Qatar.
waqif no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #1373
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqif View Post
400,000 is 13% of Qatar population that mean Qatar population is over 4 million

Qatari's 600,000 and permanent residents 400000 and the rest working in Qatar.
Well i am not sure who to believe, internet sources, or a person that works for the Urban planning authorities in Qatar (qatarson), he should know better. he stated something similar to your estimates.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #1374
_X_
Registered User
 
_X_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Geelong,Australia
Posts: 1,387
Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Well I once said there were only around 400 000 citizens in this thread and I was accused of trolling and insulting Qatari's because of it .

I've looked it up on numerous sources from American, Iranian, UAE and independent and the lowest estimate was 150 000 in 2002 and the highest was 350 000 citizens in 2008. The Qatari sources only talk about population (which includes transient labours from the sub continent), not the number of Qatari nationals but there was mention of population projections of 4.1 to 4.7% from 1970 when the population was 42000 which makes the 350 000 figure sound possible given a subsequent percentage increase (if it stayed at 4.7% the citizen population would be around 264000).
Most population articals about Qatar refer to the Gender imbalance or that 84% to 90% live in Doha metro.

The Qatari Information Exchange has a page on population structure which has no figures for citizens. It also has a page for publications on the topic with no publications.

http://www.orientplanet.com/Press_Releases_Jan4.htm
The above link suggests that Qatari Citizens could be as low as 13% of the population.
Thats quite an interesting link Wallbanger.Be interested to see the figures on Dohas population compared to the rest of the country and also the breakdown between male and female.
Going by UN data at 11% increase from 2008 the current population would now be 1.58 million of which 13% (205,400) are Qatari Nationals.I find that staggering
I live in Geelong ,Australia with a similar local population and we have a stadium proposed for the 2022 Australian bid.
I am now considering lobbying that we go it alone and host a World Cup by ourselves.

Geelong -2026 FIFA World Cup,you know it makes sense
__________________
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2010, 03:34 AM   #1375
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Thats quite an interesting link Wallbanger.Be interested to see the figures on Dohas population compared to the rest of the country and also the breakdown between male and female.
Going by UN data at 11% increase from 2008 the current population would now be 1.58 million of which 13% (205,400) are Qatari Nationals.I find that staggering
I live in Geelong ,Australia with a similar local population and we have a stadium proposed for the 2022 Australian bid.
I am now considering lobbying that we go it alone and host a World Cup by ourselves.

Geelong -2026 FIFA World Cup,you know it makes sense
Thats like Mo Rush's proposal for a Cape Town FIFA World Cup
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:16 AM   #1376
Trelawny
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tdot & The Caribbean Region
Posts: 2,580
Likes (Received): 1

I expect security to be another big problem for a Qatar bid. Even bigger then South Africa.
Trelawny no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #1377
Qatar Son 333
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Doha (Qatar)
Posts: 8,001
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
I expect security to be another big problem for a Qatar bid. Even bigger then South Africa.
Do explain more clearly. In what way is security an issue ?
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #1378
pathfinder_2010
Registered User
 
pathfinder_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 669
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
I expect security to be another big problem for a Qatar bid. Even bigger then South Africa.
petty crime is not an issue there like in SA unless you are referring to terrorist threat because its located in the middle east. If someone is caught for rape, under muslim traditions, isnt that a beheading or slashing off the arm ?
I expect the terrorists to leave the hosts alone for that one month(not like Qatar has been a victim of terrorism off late) if Qatar wins their bid.
Security shouldnt be a big deal. Qatar can easily take care of it
pathfinder_2010 no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #1379
Walbanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,242
Likes (Received): 1113

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqif View Post
400,000 is 13% of Qatar population that mean Qatar population is over 4 million

Qatari's 600,000 and permanent residents 400000 and the rest working in Qatar.
Good job at making yourself look foolish when my Original post is right above yours. Where it clearly states I previously posted 400 000 and was accused of trolling, then one indepentent source I provided claims it could be as low as 13%, I thought I'd leave it to you to do the math but I didn't think you'd fail so badly at it, Poster "X" got it straight away.

You say their are 600000 Qatari's (which there isn't) and 400000 permanent residents when all recent sources claim the transient population is up to 45% of the nation which includes many white collar types, that around 720000 your population is 1.6 million but as we all know there is no exact figure for various reasons. 720000 certainly eats into your citizen numbers. Qatari's on this very forum have happily said that they are in the minority in their own country but the their interests are protected by the law. Cetrainly doesnt sound like 600000 citizens to me knowing how few permantent workers are able to naturalise.

Last edited by Walbanger; August 26th, 2010 at 05:51 AM.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #1380
Walbanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,242
Likes (Received): 1113

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder_2010 View Post
petty crime is not an issue there like in SA unless you are referring to terrorist threat because its located in the middle east. If someone is caught for rape, under muslim traditions, isnt that a beheading or slashing off the arm ?
I expect the terrorists to leave the hosts alone for that one month(not like Qatar has been a victim of terrorism off late) if Qatar wins their bid.
Security shouldnt be a big deal. Qatar can easily take care of it
They will need help in security numbers or just threaten draconian repercussions as 600 000 people entering a nation of 3 000 000 (as is claimed by 2022) would be an enormous strain on local security. Thats instantly another 20% of the population size in festive spirits entering a small nation ready to have the roudy time of their lives.
Walbanger no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu