daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old August 31st, 2010, 04:50 AM   #1501
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Qatar: Amazing Soccer Nation and aspiring World Cup hosts

Qatar is an oil and gas rich nation, with the third largest gas reserves and the highest GDP per capita in the world.

Qatar has made conscious and consistent efforts to divert some of its enormous wealth to advance the status of sports in general and soccer in particular. These efforts are bearing positive fruits as can be seen in the setting up of an Aspire Academy for Sports Excellency and Doha Sports City to name only a few.

A visit to Doha on any day for an international soccer match will confirm the rapid development of a sports-conscious citizenry. Recently, I had the unique opportunity to be in Doha to witness the Emir’s cup final between Al Rayyan and Umm Salal (Saturday, May 15) at the state-of-the-art Khalifa stadium in Doha.

The Emir cup is considered the biggest football tournament which is held annually in honor of the leader of the oil-rich gulf state. It pitches first and second division clubs together in the battle for one of the most sought after trophies in the gulf state.

Fortunately or unfortunately, this local match coincided with the English FA Cup final which pitched Chelsea FC against Portsmouth.

In many other countries, one would have expected an embarrassingly low patronage for the local match but the natives are crazy about their game and will do just everything to make it the liveliest.

To the extent that, they won’t even dream of abandoning the scarfs and banners of the likes of Al sad, Al Rayyan, Umm salal, Qatar Sports Club, Al Jazira, for many other clubs in Europe. Not even where both Chelsea and Portsmouth have long standing and deep-seated financial and sentimental relationship with the region.

Amazingly, the State-of-the-art Khalifa stadium in Doha was packed to the rafters with local spectators. The attendees included the crème de la crème of Qatar’s society vis a vie His Excellency Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al Thani and his guest Brazilian President, His Excellency Inacio Lula da Silva, dignitaries from IAAF amongst others.

Despite the army of spectators and the high passion that was evident at the stadium, there was no outburst of violence or unruly behavior at anytime during the match.

The drama of the two camps of spectators (Al rayyan and Umm Salal) with drums beating, flags waving and chanting of songs added fuel to an already charged atmosphere.

The slightest word or act could have been the straw that broke the camel’s back and the whole stadium could have erupted in a stampede which would have cost incalculable damages in property and human lives.

Beyond the human display of proper protocol and civility, the technological and physical structures in the stadium were of cutting-edge quality especially in construction of stadia.

The latest technology available at the stadium enabled every dramatic move on the pitch and off the pitch to be isolated, captured and highlighted for the benefit of spectators and viewers glued to their TV sets miles away from the live action.

At the end of an amazing encounter between Al Rayyan and Umm Salal, two equally talented teams, a spectacular display of modern day technology unfolded right before my very eyes when the level-playground was transformed into an elevator dias in front of His Excellency Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al Thani, his guest Brazil President, His Excellency Da Silva.

The coronation of the winner Al Rayyan, proceeded smoothly in the new magically evoked platform.

The spectators were amazing, the game itself was amazing and the facilities available were amazing as well.

Truly, Qatar’s oil wealth has fuelled its journey into a modern society with the appropriate mind-set and the most modern infrastructure and technology to accommodate the challenges of any mammoth global sports/soccer competition (i.e. the Olympic Games, FIFA World Cup etc…). No wonder they are bidding to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup

When it comes to soccer, expect Amazing things from Qatar!!!

http://www.afrikansoccer.com/2010/06...ussena-djagba/
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:09 AM   #1502
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

An Emirs cup quarter-final match in Qatar, video focuses on Al-Rayyan SC Fans and supporters. (Go team !! )
notice how the locals we have no problem filling a 25K stadium for a match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOps5y1uG04

And by the way, yes we do have local teenage hooligans, mostly appear after football matches on the streets...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ook2f...layer_embedded

Last edited by Qatar Son 333; August 31st, 2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:52 AM   #1503
qatarson
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Qatar son 333 they will not going allow Rayyan fans or any other club to fill the stadiums for simple reason this (World Cup) and should be fill by all countries fans and please dont distribute advertising for your club Al Rayyan to avoid any dispute between local clubs fans.
qatarson no está en línea  
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:24 PM   #1504
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Okay i have got some more information,,,,,.

The FIFA Inspectors will witness a match (part of the Shiekh Jassim Cup) on 14/9/2010 which will be between AlSadd and AlRayyan. The match will take place at the Alsadd stadium, yes the air conditioned stadium, the same one Sepp Blatter went to when he came to Doha during the Hier Apparent cup.

So the FIFA Inspectors will see the carbon neutral outdoor cooling testing facility and later on a match in a stadium that already has cooling.
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:42 AM   #1505
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
Okay i have got some more information,,,,,.

The FIFA Inspectors will witness a match (part of the Shiekh Jassim Cup) on 14/9/2010 which will be between AlSadd and AlRayyan. The match will take place at the Alsadd stadium, yes the air conditioned stadium, the same one Sepp Blatter went to when he came to Doha during the Hier Apparent cup.

So the FIFA Inspectors will see the carbon neutral outdoor cooling testing facility and later on a match in a stadium that already has cooling.
is this a full sized stadium or just the five a side pilot one I've read about previously?

if its the full sized one, great work to get it up so quick
T74 no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2010, 02:50 AM   #1506
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
is this a full sized stadium or just the five a side pilot one I've read about previously?

if its the full sized one, great work to get it up so quick
Well they will witness both, the five a side pilot and the stadium.

the only real difference is that one is eco-friendly (new initiative) and one is not (Alsadd stadium) this is where the technological differences are. Other than that Outdoor cooling has been implemented for some time now in Qatar, but not eco-friendly.

The new outdoor carbon neutral cooling testing facility (all types of tests will be conducted here to prove the "new" technology works, will be toured by FIFA inspectors so they could see the future of outdoor cooled events for themselves.

Alsadd stadium where the current outdoor cooling technology is already at work, Sepp Blatter attended a match at this stadium, FIFA inspectors will also come to see how the new technology will work, but in real live conditions since a match is scheduled to take place 14,9,2010 AlRayyan VS Alsadd with spectators, The match is part of the Shiekh Jassim Cup. Although its not a world cup sized stadium ~15-20K (not part of the bid either) its the closest to world cup conditions if we are looking at outdoor cooled stadiums.

Old September 1st, 2010, 05:07 AM   #1507
Trelawny
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Qatar's stadiums kicks the Aussie's ass in their bid.
Trelawny no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2010, 05:49 AM   #1508
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
Qatar's stadiums kicks the Aussie's ass in their bid.
Well the first 5 announced do have abit of the "wow" but lets wait and see what the other proposals look like.
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:01 AM   #1509
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Considering that one of the Australian bid's stadiums has a capacity over 20000 more than any of the Qatari bid's and another one thats bigger - not sure about the capacity of Qatar's largest stadium. I'd say thats quite a dumb statement. Qatar's stadiums do have a certain 'wow' factor but they may be viewed as tacky.

On the other hand. I'd say that you probably made that comment to provoke discussion like this. So now I only have one question - what is the capacity of the largest stadium in the Qatar bid?
Will737 no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:59 AM   #1510
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will737 View Post
Considering that one of the Australian bid's stadiums has a capacity over 20000 more than any of the Qatari bid's and another one thats bigger - not sure about the capacity of Qatar's largest stadium. I'd say thats quite a dumb statement. Qatar's stadiums do have a certain 'wow' factor but they may be viewed as tacky.

On the other hand. I'd say that you probably made that comment to provoke discussion like this. So now I only have one question - what is the capacity of the largest stadium in the Qatar bid?
Please correct largest australian stadium capacity (obvious typo..)

and the Answer for your question is

Lusail National Stadium 86,000
followed by
Khalifa Stadium 70,000
Old September 1st, 2010, 07:08 AM   #1511
Will737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
Please correct largest australian stadium capacity (obvious typo..)

and the Answer for your question is

Lusail National Stadium 86,000
followed by
Khalifa Stadium 70,000
Sorry, our largest stadium only has a capacity over 14000 more. The next largest is ANZ with 83,500.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2010, 07:23 AM   #1512
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will737 View Post
Sorry, our largest stadium only has a capacity over 14000 more. The next largest is ANZ with 83,500.
You have a 100K stadium part of the bid ??? last time I checked there were 2 90+ stadiums part of the 12 proposed stadiums.. MCG & Sydney ??
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:13 AM   #1513
qatarson
BANNED

Qatar the only country which did not reveal all it is cards yet so we must wait until know the other stadiums.
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:56 AM   #1514
RobH

Likes (Received): 10325

Unusual tactic that. Fifa must have seen them all given they have the bid books but the bid are drip feeding information to the public.
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:53 AM   #1515
Will737

MCG is 100012. The attendance record for the new stadium is 100002. Sydney isn't over 90000 but may be I think it's capacity can be increased (so can the MCG's but that is unlikely).
Will737 no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2010, 07:10 PM   #1516
amrja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
The problem is that this is a crux issue and personaly the main point in why Qatar should not be allowed to host the WC.

So this isn't a small issue. It is as large as the logistical, technical and infrastructure challenges that Qatar faces which the other bids don't have to worry about. I'm sorry for the heavy handed nature of my post but I truly believe this is a very important issue which shouldn't be swept conveniently under the carpet. I do not believe that Qatari's are evil or callous to the suffering of others but they should ask more from and about their government and social system than simply tow the nationalist line.
You really have a chip on your shoulder, don't you?

First of all you are confusing the labour issues of Qatar with those of the UAE. Certainly there are some bad labour practices here, but they are nowhere near of the scale you are making them out to be. The courts are well known here to be sympathetic to labourers who are mistreated by their employers, and employers are given huge fines if they violate labour laws.

Your definition of human trafficking states very clearly that what is required is some form of coercion, misrepresentation, abuse or the like. Instead of linking to a only a definition, provide a source which proves that these things occur with the majority and not the minority of labourers in Qatar.

Also, you might have a leg to stand on when the Australian Supreme Court stops making decesions like the one in Al Kateb v Godwin. You know, that case where they held it was legal to imprison a stateless Palestinian man for life despite him not having committed any crime that was not immigration related, simply because there was nowhere to deport him to? I know you acknowledged the issue, but I don't think it should be swept under the carpet either

What I also think should not be swept under the carpet is that Australia has much worse racial tension than Qatar. After all, it was in Sydney a few years back that mobs of people attacked brown people simply because brown must = Muslim, right? You know, that time when Indians were coming under attack because the idiots were too stupid to differentiate between them and Arabs?

A quick wikipedia search reveals that Australia has a history of such incidents. This is extremely relevant to Australia hosting the WC, seeing as there will be a huge influx of foreigners into the country. Qatar has never had such problems with xenophobia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_...e_In_Australia

I am not simply trying to get into 'my country is better than yours' argument here; i'm not Qatari, after all. What I am trying to say is that Australia has a host of its own issues, and it is hypocritical to point the finger at Qatar when your own country isn't anywhere near perfect in its treatment of foreigners.

Do us a favour, and spare us the wholly undeserved 'holier-than-thou' attitude.
amrja no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2010, 02:06 AM   #1517
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

The whole 'racism' thing here is constantly blown overboard, just as I'm sure many issues in Qatar are and to be honest, this isn't the time nor place to be discussing either - it will simply end in this thread being locked.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2010, 02:09 AM   #1518
qatarson
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrja View Post
You really have a chip on your shoulder, don't you?

First of all you are confusing the labour issues of Qatar with those of the UAE. Certainly there are some bad labour practices here, but they are nowhere near of the scale you are making them out to be. The courts are well known here to be sympathetic to labourers who are mistreated by their employers, and employers are given huge fines if they violate labour laws.

Your definition of human trafficking states very clearly that what is required is some form of coercion, misrepresentation, abuse or the like. Instead of linking to a only a definition, provide a source which proves that these things occur with the majority and not the minority of labourers in Qatar.

Also, you might have a leg to stand on when the Australian Supreme Court stops making decesions like the one in Al Kateb v Godwin. You know, that case where they held it was legal to imprison a stateless Palestinian man for life despite him not having committed any crime that was not immigration related, simply because there was nowhere to deport him to? I know you acknowledged the issue, but I don't think it should be swept under the carpet either

What I also think should not be swept under the carpet is that Australia has much worse racial tension than Qatar. After all, it was in Sydney a few years back that mobs of people attacked brown people simply because brown must = Muslim, right? You know, that time when Indians were coming under attack because the idiots were too stupid to differentiate between them and Arabs?

A quick wikipedia search reveals that Australia has a history of such incidents. This is extremely relevant to Australia hosting the WC, seeing as there will be a huge influx of foreigners into the country. Qatar has never had such problems with xenophobia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_...e_In_Australia

I am not simply trying to get into 'my country is better than yours' argument here; i'm not Qatari, after all. What I am trying to say is that Australia has a host of its own issues, and it is hypocritical to point the finger at Qatar when your own country isn't anywhere near perfect in its treatment of foreigners.

Do us a favour, and spare us the wholly undeserved 'holier-than-thou' attitude.
well guys we done of this point days ago, we look forward to arrival news of FIFA members within few days.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 02:11 AM   #1519
qatarson
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
The whole 'racism' thing here is constantly blown overboard, just as I'm sure many issues in Qatar are and to be honest, this isn't the time nor place to be discussing either - it will simply end in this thread being locked.
I agree Qatari's or Australians or anybody else read this topic will not benefit of such points.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 05:14 AM   #1520
amrja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Fair enough, but it is pretty frustrating seeing some of the hypocrisy being put forward in this thread.

My exact point is that we shouldn't be pointing fingers because no country on earth is free of problems, and to act like the treatment of foreigners is a problem exclusive to Qatar is a joke.

/rant over

At the end of the day, may the best bid win... you can all probably guess who i'm rooting for
amrja no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022