daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:26 AM   #1521
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

As long as the rules AREN'T changed I'm happy
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"

Last edited by _X_; September 2nd, 2010 at 05:47 PM.
_X_ no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2010, 04:56 PM   #1522
apinamies

Likes (Received): 713

Qatar is too small. Qatar have horrible weather and you can't drink alcohol, very hard to believe that FIFA give WC 2018 to Qatar.
apinamies no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2010, 05:52 PM   #1523
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Ignore the above post, no useful information + full of incorrect facts...
----------

Qatar Hosting The World Cup 'Not An Impossible Dream' - QFA President

Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa bin Ahmed Al Thani is backing Qatar to become the first Arab country to host the World Cup after presenting a "convincing" bid.

Qatar hosting the World Cup "is not an impossible dream" according to Qatar Football Association president Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa bin Ahmed Al Thani.

A big six months looms for football in the Gulf nation, with FIFA's bid inspectors set to visit in September before the winners of the rights to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups are announced on December 2.

The country will then host Asian football's showpiece event, the Asian Cup, in January.

"It is not an impossible dream," Al Thani said of hosting the World Cup in an interview with Al Sharq newspaper.

"Undoubtedly, our dream is to host the World Cup in 2022. If we win, it will be the first time that the World Cup would come to the Middle East or the Arab world.

"Under the chairmanship [of]... Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, the Qatar 2022 bid [team] has done a wonderful job.

"The Bid Committee has promoted the country’s desire in a convincing manner. I am hopeful the chairman will guide Qatar to winning this bid. If we win this bid, Qatar will gain in many ways.”

FIFA President Sepp Blatter intimated in April that Qatar was one of the front-runners to host the World Cup, stating an Arab country "deserves it" and that Qatar had a "good chance" of becoming that country.

One of the initial angles used to distinguish the Qatari bid was that a first World Cup in an Arabic nation would help foster relations with the western word.

Goal.com
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2010, 06:51 PM   #1524
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Regarding amrja's post,

Qatar is on the Tier 2 watch list of Trafficking in Persons - CIA Factbook:
Quote:
Qatar is a destination country for men and women from South and Southeast Asia who migrate willingly, but are subsequently trafficked into involuntary servitude as domestic workers and laborers, and, to a lesser extent, commercial sexual exploitation; the most common offense was forcing workers to accept worse contract terms than those under which they were recruited; other conditions include bonded labor, withholding of pay, restrictions on movement, arbitrary detention, and physical, mental, and sexual abuse
Good to see an improvement in recent years though:
Quote:
In 2007 the US labelled Qatar as a Tier 3 country for human trafficking - the highest level for human rights abuses.

The Amnesty International submission to the UN Universal Periodic Review stated that migrant workers "are not adequately protected by Qatari Law."

The review states that "Migrant workers are generally unable to access the justice system to challenge the decisions of their employers or to seek redress, because they are trapped at home and due to the prohibitive costs of going to court and also language barriers."

The review also highlighted some statistics, "In 2007, about 20,000 migrant workers were reported to have run away from their employers because they were not paid their salaries or because of their harsh living conditions.

Such conditions reportedly contributed to several fires in workers' accommodation in different parts of the country by 2008."
Again, good to see attempts being made at more protection being provided to workers in Qatar over the past year, but Qatar has a long way to go:
Quote:
The squalid living conditions for labourers in Industrial City are as infamous nationally as they are internationally. An article published in one of the dailies in 2007 begins, "The misery of workers in labour camps has been so oft-repeated that it has almost become boring." It describes the abhorrent camp conditions many Doha residents have memorised - 10 or 20 workers sharing one small room, lack of ventilation, no healthcare facilities, bathrooms shared by hundreds of men and an insufficient food supply.

Four months ago, Al Naame's inspection department put more efforts to more effectively oversee conditions in the labour camps. They started by registering all of the camps in Doha, recording the size of the camp, how many people per room, the size of the beds, the water supply, food, kitchen and bathrooms. They even conduct surprise inspections every six months. So far, they've inspected 3,360 camps; 3,324 had no complaints, and were up to the standards of the Labour Law and 32 were re-inspection cases (or camps that had problems before, but had now attempted to solve them). The remaining four camps had new Labour Law violations.

The Labour Department isn't the only entity checking in on the camps-Asirdin at the Indonesian Embassy also conducts checks on labour camps about every two months. The Embassy checks camps which holds most Indonesian workers.

For now, migrant workers remain dependent on the embassies and Labour Department to defend their rights in Qatar.

You mention the Al Kateb case, but fail to explain that the case resulted in a review which granted Al Kateb a bridging Visa freeing him from detention. The likely reason you heard of this case is that is so extraordinary - the circumstances are so unusual and rare. No one in Australia is locked up indefinitely for breeching migration laws. Im curious to know how Qatar deals with stateless Palestinians or illegal migrants.

It is totally unfair to compare racial tensions between a tiny country which untill 15 years ago had less than 500,000 residents living in an almost completely homogenous society, with Australia, which for two hundrede years has been a multi ethnic society with a current population of over 20 million. Of course Qatar has no history of racial tensions - Its citizens are all of the same racial make up, and forreign workers do not go through to process of integration and assimulation as is the case with Australian migrants.
No one is sweeping anything under the carpet. Australia has a good history when it comes to racial tensions when compared to countries such as France, England or the USA. Race riots are reasonably common in each of those countries, and the riots themselves are far more serious and destructive than what occured in Cronulla in 2005 or Redfern in 2004. What other significant race riots from the past 50 years can you name in Australia other than two listed?

Sure every country has its own issues, but it is the level of those issues, and how they correspond to a possible world cup that is worth taking into account. Foreign workers make up the overwhelming majority of the population in Qatar, and they are the ones who would be building the necessary infrastructure for a world cup. Those workers rights have a direct link with the world cup bid.

Last edited by woozoo; September 2nd, 2010 at 07:03 PM.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:42 AM   #1525
T74

Likes (Received): 1

can we drop the politics people?

no country on earth is pure and sweet, we all have issues, and hopefully we are all trying to deal with them

Qatar, the USA, and Australia have all presented good bids, and fortunately whoever gets it will win because their bid is so good - not because the other two suck so badly

As I've said before, I think Qatar's size and the heat will be hurdles too big to overcome, but its a credit to them that they are still a serious contender, and its not because of oil money.

personally I think this bid will lead the way for a joint UAE/Qatar bid in the future, and this bid will be bloody hard to overcome - the size issue will be destroyed, the heat management technologies will only improve, and it will be a true regional bid (for what its worth, I think this bid would be a serious challenge to a Chinese bid - and I have China destroying Australia in a head to head bid).

Still reckon 2022 is destined for the USA, but I have been impressed with the Qatari bid
T74 no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2010, 03:49 AM   #1526
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
can we drop the politics people?

no country on earth is pure and sweet, we all have issues, and hopefully we are all trying to deal with them

Qatar, the USA, and Australia have all presented good bids, and fortunately whoever gets it will win because their bid is so good - not because the other two suck so badly

As I've said before, I think Qatar's size and the heat will be hurdles too big to overcome, but its a credit to them that they are still a serious contender, and its not because of oil money.

personally I think this bid will lead the way for a joint UAE/Qatar bid in the future, and this bid will be bloody hard to overcome - the size issue will be destroyed, the heat management technologies will only improve, and it will be a true regional bid (for what its worth, I think this bid would be a serious challenge to a Chinese bid - and I have China destroying Australia in a head to head bid).

Still reckon 2022 is destined for the USA, but I have been impressed with the Qatari bid

The USA stadium capacities are too much.... which i think is a good and bad thing.

lets see what happens..
Old September 3rd, 2010, 04:11 AM   #1527
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
The USA stadium capacities are too much.... which i think is a good and bad thing.

lets see what happens..
Too much? Not if you can sell out or nearly sell out many if not most of them.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 04:47 AM   #1528
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Too much? Not if you can sell out or nearly sell out many if not most of them.
I was referring to the USA stadia capacity as a comparision to the Australian and Qatari stadiums capacities

Yes I am aware that the 1994 was the most sold out WC...
Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:37 AM   #1529
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
I was referring to the USA stadia capacity as a comparision to the Australian and Qatari stadiums capacities

Yes I am aware that the 1994 was the most sold out WC...
Why would you say "too much" then? What bad from that are you suggesting?
Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:53 AM   #1530
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Why would you say "too much" then? What bad from that are you suggesting?
Argh... review Qatar and Australian bid stadium capacities and compare to USA.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:44 AM   #1531
_X_

Quote:
Argh... review Qatar and Australian bid stadium capacities and compare to USA.
Thats a ridiculous notion.Imagine the Nou Camp only held 60,000.
Its only ridiculous in Qatar because anything over 20k is already overkill.Australia does have stadiums that hold 100k and are famous for it.Both Olympic football finals had 104,000 in attendance in 1956 and 2000.The MCG in its old format had over 120k on a number of occasions
Good luck to the USA for having that massive capacity,I'm sure there is a number of cities around the world that are envious-even if they are primarily for gridiron
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:40 AM   #1532
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrja View Post
Fair enough, but it is pretty frustrating seeing some of the hypocrisy being put forward in this thread.

My exact point is that we shouldn't be pointing fingers because no country on earth is free of problems, and to act like the treatment of foreigners is a problem exclusive to Qatar is a joke.

/rant over

Sorry to bring it up but I feel that I deserve to reponsed so I'll keep it brief so we don't totally derail this thread.
I note what you have said, I'm just not sure is you're irritated with what I said or that really you're irritated that I chose to say it. I stand by it,I don't just make unbacked allegations, Woozoo's post reflects my stance neatly. Should I not have a vocal opinion of say sweatshops or the US Civil War because the founders of my nation disenfranchised the lands original inhabitants?
I choose not to bite my lip when discussing the merits of the Qatari bid on the Qatari bid thread, if thats holier-than-thou then so be it. I'm not here to play to others taboo's.

More the power to you.

Ok, back to the excitment...

Last edited by Walbanger; September 3rd, 2010 at 11:50 AM.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #1533
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

We should see more new details about the bid this month:

Qatar’s bid for 2022 FIFA World Cup gets vast support

DOHA: The Qatar Sport Press Committee (QSPC) in co-operation with Qatar 2022 Bid Committee and Qatar Olympic Committee will host an international press gathering from September 13 to 17 at Ezdan hotel and suites — Doha to support Qatar’s 2022 FIFA World Cup Bid.

The international press meeting will be titled “The International Symposium to Support Middle East Opportunities For Hosting FIFA World Cup 2022).

The date of the gathering coincides with the visit of FIFA delegation to the Qatari capital, Doha to inspect the country’s sport facilities, ahead of FIFA crucial meeting in December to announce the hosts country that will be awarded the rights to organise 2018 and 2022 WC.

Participants in the forum will meet with FIFA’s delegation and Qatar 2022 committee officials where they will exhaustively discuss the Bid, including Qatar’s arrangements for the event, the sport facilities, infrastructure alongside other technical and administrative requirements.

QSPC has already invited 40 journalists from all Arab countries, Members of Football Committee in International Sport Press Association and representatives of Qatar Media.

A number of factors and supportive elements will increase Qatar’s chance to host FIFA World Cup 2022, such as the small area of the country which will ease the transportation of fans and their ability to watch more than one match per day, additionally the country’s security will redouble its chance to organise the prestigious event.

Qatar maintains high-class sport facilities with international standards specifications, including Khalifa stadium, Al Gharaffa SC stadium, Al Rayyan SC stadium, Qatar SC stadium, Al Arabi SC stadium, Al Sadd SC stadium and Al Khor SC stadium alongside other under-construction stadiums.

Qatar 2022 will be a carbon neutral World Cup, utilising sustainable technologies and groundbreaking cooling systems for stadiums, fan zones and training grounds. Fans, players and officials will be able to enjoy cool and comfortable open-air conditions, not exceeding 27 degrees Celsius. Belgium-Netherlands, England, Russia, Spain-Portugal and the US have all submitted bids for 2018 and 2022. Australia, Japan, South Korea, and Qatar have bid for 2022 only.
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #1534
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Tiny Qatar wants to host 2022 World Cup

The sidewalks and parks in Doha are empty in June, as residents head to the air-conditioned malls for relief from temperatures that soar to 48 degrees (118 F). Professional footballers from the region flee to the cooler climes of Europe to train.

And anyone looking to cool off with a cold beer in Qatar's capital has to make do with a handful of pubs hidden in five-star hotels, since drinking alcohol anywhere else is prohibited in the conservative Muslim country.

Still, Qatar has brushed aside questions about its climate and social constraints to launch an ambitious campaign to host the 2022 World Cup that is also being sought by the United States, Australia, South Korea and Japan.
In some ways, Qatar is the wild card in the competition to win over FIFA's 24-man executive committee. It's the smallest nation bidding and the only one that has not hosted either an Olympics or World Cup. At the same time, the Persian Gulf nation of just 1.3 million has the financial muscle to guarantee a successful tournament -- it has the world's second-highest per capita income thanks to its vast oil and gas reserves.

"I believe we have a very strong bid and a very unique bid," Hassan al-Thawadi, the CEO of the Qatar bid committee, told The Associated Press.
"It's a historic bid in terms of coming for the first time to the Middle East, a region that is very hospitable, rich and diverse in terms of its culture and has an unprecedented passion for the game," he said. "Bringing it to the Middle East will truly allow football and FIFA to reach its true potential as a culture event."

Qatar has taken an aggressive approach to promoting the bid. It struck a deal to sponsor the Confederation of African Football congress in January, negotiating an agreement that gave it exclusive access to the top officials in African football. It also plans to fly Brazil and Argentina into Doha for an exhibition match just two weeks before the winning bids for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups are announced in December.

It also hired the likes of Dutch great Ronald de Boer and Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola to promote the bid, as well as consultant Mike Lee, who was instrumental in helping London secure the 2012 Summer Olympics and Rio the rights for the 2016 Summer Olympics.

"They have the money and they will spend generously on this," said Abdul-Khaleq Abdulla, a political science professor at Emirates University in Abu Dhabi. "There is no limit to how much they could pay. Money talks in these events. It has been proven time and again. If you are serious, you have to raise your investment profile."

Al-Thawadi said Qatar is developing "second-generation cooling technology" that will keep stadiums, training facilities and fan areas at about 27 degrees (81 F), far cooler than the 41 (106 F) that Qatar averages in June, July and August. Qatar also plans to allow alcohol consumption in fan zones and bathing suits to be worn at hotel pools.

Al-Thawadi, a football fan educated in England, acknowledges he was inundated with questions concerning Qatar's weather when he visited South Africa for the recent World Cup. But he says once he explains the proposed system that continuously pumps cool air into the venues, most people come away convinced Qatar can keep the heat at bay during matches.

"I will tell people who have heat concerns come to the Qatar, visit the country and see what it has to offer," al-Thawadi said. "Meet the people and meet expats who come from cold countries and make Qatar their home and are here over the summer and haven't left. The concerns shouldn't be much of a concern at all."

To bolster its case, Qatar has unveiled a $4 billion plan to build nine stadiums and renovate three others -- all with the new cooling system.
A prototype stadium for five-a-side football is scheduled to be on display when FIFA's inspection team visits on Sept. 13 and the technology "will be tweaked" over time to ensure it also can be used at training sites for the 32 competing teams and fan zones, al-Thawadi said.

Qatar also plans $42.9 billion in infrastructure upgrades that will include a new international airport and an air-conditioned public transport system. Everything for a World Cup bid could be ready as early as 2017.
The stadia have futuristic design blueprints, including one designed in the shape of a dhow -- a traditional Arab sailing vessel -- and another with an asymmetrical seashell motif.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter also gave Qatar's bid a boost earlier this year when he said the Arab world deserves to stage a World Cup. He was instrumental in delivering the World Cup to South Africa, the first on the African continent.

Blatter said the government's successful hosting of the 2006 Asian Games showed it was capable of organizing big international events.
Still, the bid has its doubters.

Critics question whether Qatar's largely untested cooling system will work and many Westerners remain unconvinced that Qatar will relax its conservative ways and allow fans to let loose with dancing and drinking in the streets -- which has become the norm at World Cups.

"It would not be in the best interest of FIFA to allow Qatar to host the World Cup in 2022," said Austrian strategist Erwin Roth, who has spent almost three decades promoting international sporting events, including the failed bid by Salzburg to host the 2014 Winter Olympics.

"A lot of problems would arise," he said. "What do you do with the fans when the games are over? You will have all fans in this tiny, little city in 40-plus centigrade temperatures. Where do you put them? You would have to build zones where they party and women would be allowed."

Simon Chadwick, a sports marketing expert at Coventry University in England, said Qatar's bid has been helped by the success of South Africa, which showed that a developing country with a history of problems could host a successful World Cup.

"There are concerns about the culture of Qatar," Chadwick said. "You are going to watch football. Are you going to be able to drink heavily, eat pizza and hang around in the streets singing songs? People perceive that because Qatar is a Muslim country that they won't be able to do that."

And even if Qatar can overcome these concerns, its bid could be hampered by relations with Israel and competition with China.
Since it has no diplomatic relations with Israel, Qatar could face a quandary should Israel qualify, or if it officials or fans want to attend. Qatar, which ended low-level contacts with Israel last year, has said repeatedly that any team that qualifies would be welcome. FIFA would require Qatar to allow any Israeli delegate to attend its congress and opening ceremony.

Another issue is China's possible bid in 2026. A China bid could weigh on FIFA committee members, who would have to debate whether to vote in favor of an Asian host like Qatar in 2022 or wait until 2026. One continent cannot host consecutive World Cups.
Old September 6th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #1535
Weebie

Likes (Received): 5

Air conditioned stadiums, Limited drinking or nightlife and Areas where women will be seated.

This bid will fail in the first round just like the Olympic bid.
Weebie no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #1536
nihad
doha rulz...

Likes (Received): 91

yea.. lots of concern but its worldcup... not jus limited to certain parts of the world.. the middleast needs a worldcup..

lots of things are always best misunderstood.
nihad no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #1537
khongyeuai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I'm Seller for: CC, CVV US,UK,CA, EURO,AU, Italian,Japan,France,...all cc.
Paypal verify, Software Spam mail + mail list, code PHP,Shop Admin and CC fullz info, CC DOB, Dump, Banklogin, Pri sock....Domain hosting
If you need them, Contact me. Please Dont ask CC FREE, CC TEST. i dont have time with CC FRE and CC TEST
1 Sock live = 5$/1sock live > 5day 1 US CVV full info = 50$/CVV
1 US CVV( visa)= 2$/cvv 1 UK CVV full info = 100$/CVV
1 US CVV( master)= 2$/cvv1 1 Paypal with pass email = 100$/paypal
1US CVV(Amex,dis)= 5$/cvv 1 Paypal don't have pass email = 50$/Paypal
See u soon . Let's contact
Y!H : shop.cc_good
1UK CVV(visa, Mc)= 7$/cvv 1 ok do u transfere?
1 us,uk with = 20$/1
1 us DOB = 20$/1 1 UK DOB = 30$/1
1 UK CVV(Amex,dis)= 10$/cvv 1 Banklogin us company = 160$ 1 Banklogin us (personel) = 180$
1 Uk check bins = 15$/1cvv 1 Banklogin uk (personel)= 200$
1 Ca CVV = 10$/CVV 1 Banklogin uk company= 300$
1 CA CVV(Amex,dis)= 15$/cvv
1 EU CVV = 15$/CVV
1 EU CVV(Amex,dis)= 15$/cvv
1 New Zealand (NZ) :15$/cvv
1 Japan (JP) : 15$/cvv
1 AU CVV = 15$/CV
dumps : 50$/1
dumps:100$
gold:120$
platinum:150$
business:200$
+ Itali = 30$/1cvv
+ Spain = 25$/1cvv
+ Denmark = 25$/1cvv
+ Sweden = 25$/1cvv
Middle East = 25$/1cvv
Asia = 20$/1cvv
SHIP LAPTOP APPLE = 150$
SHIP LAPTOP HP + DELL = 120$
SHIP LAPTOP TOSHIBA = 80$
SHIP LAPTOP LENOVO = 100$
1-2 day have tracking
Y!H : shop.cc_good
emall :[email protected]
khongyeuai no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #1538
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihad View Post
yea.. lots of concern but its worldcup... not jus limited to certain parts of the world.. the middleast needs a worldcup..
Well, if we go by that summary, so does the Oceanic Region.

You can't float a bid on one line, when another bid can.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #1539
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
Well, if we go by that summary, so does the Oceanic Region.

You can't float a bid on one line, when another bid can.
First world cup in the Middle east region, First world cup in the Arab World, First world cup that takes place in an Islamic country.....
Old September 7th, 2010, 03:28 AM   #1540
_X_

Quote:
First world cup in the Middle east region, First world cup in the Arab World, First world cup that takes place in an Islamic country.....
Yes but its still essentially a Doha bid only which is illegal.The lengths that previous hosts have gone to to have 2 stadiums in the 1 city or in Germany's case the outrage over 3 stadiums within 100kms shows that this is just not technically compliant.
I feel sorry for you guys that you're left clinging to the hope of winning the damn thing when realistically you can't have a hope.The only way you could win is for the FIFA executive to change their statute at this late stage and that would stink to high heaven of political interference from Bin Hammann and Blatter
Much better chance with a smaller event such as the Olympics which infact is for 1 city not a Nation
_X_ no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022