daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 13th, 2010, 05:07 AM   #1701
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Qatar would offer a compact and unique World Cup with around 3.2 billion prime time TV viewers and 2 billion fans in the region who could reach Doha within four hours to watch the matches in 2022.

We will have 2 billion fans in the region by 2022.

Since the people of the Middle East and the Arab world were football-crazy, there would always be a sea of spectators for the matches.

Additionally, hosting a World Cup close to India with a billion-plus population will also ensure huge spectator support to tournament.

Incidentally, the Indian team will be here to play in the Asian Cup next year.

We have certain advantages that no other countries in the race have, like flights connectivity and time taken for journey from other countries as Qatar is in the heart of the Middle East.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:23 AM   #1702
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post

_X_, could you give it a rest already ? the question was clearly about league attendance, since we were talking about the stadiums post 2022. no body mentioned anything about Brazil or whatever. and as you said the same thing apply s for Qatar, if we had a larger stadium we could sell more, but to bad the current largest is only 50K and thats the set number. League support here tends to be higher than National team support.
If thats the case then WHY are Qatar bidding for a competition with National teams? Why not bid for something far smaller with clubs involved
I at least attempted to answer the question with some facts-startling and painful as it may be to you guys
At this point they are the only (even though rounded off and over inflated) crowd sizes given.
Qatar must pull the lowest national team crowds of any World Cup bidder in history-by a huge margin.
Must be at least 130 National teams with higher crowds than Qatar for WCQ's
I'll find out for you guys exactly so that we can gauge your countries support over a period of time compared to the rest of the other bidders
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:55 AM   #1703
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
If thats the case then WHY are Qatar bidding for a competition with National teams? Why not bid for something far smaller with clubs involved
I at least attempted to answer the question with some facts-startling and painful as it may be to you guys
At this point they are the only (even though rounded off and over inflated) crowd sizes given.
Qatar must pull the lowest national team crowds of any World Cup bidder in history-by a huge margin.
Must be at least 130 National teams with higher crowds than Qatar for WCQ's
I'll find out for you guys exactly so that we can gauge your countries support over a period of time compared to the rest of the other bidders
Because its the most wanted event in the world maybe ? Its great enough for a country to "host" the event, just like South Africa 2010. Lets not forget that the region Would support Qatar, just as all African's supported Ghana during the 2010 World Cup. So having a football-crazed neighbor (Saudi Arabia) is good.

Again, there is a HUGE difference between WCQ's and the actual WC. If Qatar does get 2022 rest assure everyone will back the National team, including the foreigners. we have 12 years to develop our National team to our likes. Qatar is hosting the AFC Asian Cup 2011, that would be a good example of National team support.

The FIFA 2022 WC would be the final step in securing Qatar's permanent position as the Middle-east and event one of the World's sports capital. Future events should be the FIFA Club WC and even the FIFA Womens World Cup. These were the FIFA events, other sport events would be the 2020/24 Doha Olympics and such.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:59 AM   #1704
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Qatar would offer a compact and unique World Cup with around 3.2 billion prime time TV viewers and 2 billion fans in the region who could reach Doha within four hours to watch the matches in 2022.

We will have 2 billion fans in the region by 2022.

Since the people of the Middle East and the Arab world were football-crazy, there would always be a sea of spectators for the matches.

Additionally, hosting a World Cup close to India with a billion-plus population will also ensure huge spectator support to tournament.

Incidentally, the Indian team will be here to play in the Asian Cup next year.

We have certain advantages that no other countries in the race have, like flights connectivity and time taken for journey from other countries as Qatar is in the heart of the Middle East.
There is such a thing as too compact and Qatar is it. Going to South Africa, it was cool to experience the differences of Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, Pretoria, etc. Why would I want to experience just one city? In Qatar's case, compact is a nice way of saying that we have nothing else.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #1705
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

Doha will never be a sporting capital, it's just too hot. That's not a dig, that's a fact.

The worlds sporting capital, Melbourne is succesful due to the fact you have extreme heat prefect for surf and becach, cold good for the winter sports and then perfect whether in between summer & winter. If Doha had these then I would agree it could be a sporting capital of the world but, it doesn't.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #1706
woozoo

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
No body is being paid anything , its an important match, even dubbed as El-Clasico, and its a 15K stadium, very easy to fill up.

Dude, go see the last 10 pages of this thread, there is a good enough fan base in Qatar.
I have gone through some of the pages, and the only thing that sticks out about football attendance in Qatar is the poor crowds at world cup qualifiers. If you have reliable statistics about attendance of a regular domestic football competition, then I would love to see them. Until then I can only assume that crowds are so poor, that reliable statistics do not exist, or are not released to the public. The fact that Al-Arabi, apparently the most popular football club in Qatar, play in a stadium with a capacity of 18,000 leads me to believe that any stadium larger than that is overkill.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #1707
qatarson
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
How will you ever get to 22 million?
Your citizens only total 200,000 ,it the foreign workforce that makes up the other 1.4 million.So how do you do that,your birth rate would be in line with everyone else.
If you massively expand your foreign workforce it will get to the point where the nationals are only 1% of the population-thats unrealistic
our citizens is 600,000
qatarson no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #1708
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1108

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatarson View Post
our citizens is 600,000
Mate, we went through the citizen numbers in great depth only a couple of pages ago. We all know that you don't have 600 000 citizens. The most generous sources put figures around 340 000.

Quote:
Australia is 22 million if we compare it with Saudi Arabia ? that mean you will be ashamed ??
Ashamed?
Their seems to be a miss conception that because the likes of Australia and the USA have competent alternative Football codes that our Soccer following is somehow lacking. Australia has fantastic attendance averages for Internationals (some of the highest averages in the world), the local league attendance is on par with the bulk of other league bar the elite European ones. Should I remind you that Australia is the number one ranked team in the AFC and better than Saudi Arabia.

Quote:
nothing embarrassing dear when we become 22 millions like your country you will see our country always in the quarter final of the World Cup as Australian saw our national team in 1981 playing the final of the World youth Cup against Germany.
In what world is it environmentally sustainable and sensible for Qatar to have 22 million people. Thats a Megacity filling similar area to greater Sydney in the middle of the Desert far away from any consistant and ecofriendly water source. Oh and Australia isn't static, we will not remain at 22 million.

Quote:
]If Qatar does get 2022 rest assure everyone will back the National team, including the foreigners.
Why would the foreigners back Qatar and not their own Nations?
As I've said before, they are as loyal as their next pay check.
Qatar Son 333 if you lived and worked in Australia, do you really believe that Australians would expect you to support Australia over Qatar if you were only on a Working visa and it was clear you weren't interested in naturalising.

Last edited by Walbanger; September 13th, 2010 at 11:30 AM.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #1709
qatarson
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Going to South Africa, it was cool to experience the differences of Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, Pretoria, etc. Why would I want to experience just one city?
you will experience unique pleasure in qatar cities (Doha, AL Khor, Wakrah, Al Shamal, Mesaed, Dukhan) etc...

starting from stadiums where our fans using Qatari Durms as in picture

Doha city
image hosted on flickr

Islamic Museum
image hosted on flickr

Aqua Park
image hosted on flickr

Six Flags (2012)

Wakrah city
image hosted on flickr

Sealine (south mesaed city)

The Pearl Island

image hosted on flickr

the pearl - Qanat Quartier
[IMG]http://i56.************/2d9rme.jpg[/IMG]

Lusail city

image hosted on flickr

Lusail entertainment city

Lusail circuit
image hosted on flickr

there many cities & places fans can visit in Qatar.

Last edited by qatarson; September 13th, 2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #1710
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
you will experience unique pleasure in qatar cities (Doha, AL Khor, Wakrah, Al Shamal, Mesaed, Dukhan) etc...
And a quick search tells me Al Khor is building their first shopping mall while touting such facilities as a driving school and an air field. That doesn't have me thinking that it will be a ton of fun.

The last time they took population numbers, Al Wakrah didn't even have enough people to fill a World Cup stadium if every person in the city attended, Al Shamal is even smaller and the rest of the cities are either similarly small or basically a Doha suburb. Qatar is made up of Doha and small outposts. I would love you to prove me wrong and show me how many great things and places there are in Qatar, but you either post three pictures of the same thing to make it look like there's more to do than there ism claim numbers that aren't substantiated anywhere or talk about how popular things are when the numbers say otherwise.

Qatar is a very nice looking place and I'm sure a lot of people are very happy living there, as they should be, but it's no place for a World Cup and in all these pages, you haven't convinced anyone. There is nobody who lives outside of Qatar who has stepped forward and said that this looks to be the best bid. In fact, there are few people outside of Qatar who has stepped forward to say it's an attractive bid, let alone the best one and don't use FIFA officials or other political figures as proof because we all know they're in someones pocket.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #1711
qatarson
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
And a quick search tells me Al Khor is building their first shopping mall while touting such facilities as a driving school and an air field. That doesn't have me thinking that it will be a ton of fun.

The last time they took population numbers, Al Wakrah didn't even have enough people to fill a World Cup stadium if every person in the city attended, Al Shamal is even smaller and the rest of the cities are either similarly small or basically a Doha suburb. Qatar is made up of Doha and small outposts. I would love you to prove me wrong and show me how many great things and places there are in Qatar, but you either post three pictures of the same thing to make it look like there's more to do than there ism claim numbers that aren't substantiated anywhere or talk about how popular things are when the numbers say otherwise.

Qatar is a very nice looking place and I'm sure a lot of people are very happy living there, as they should be, but it's no place for a World Cup and in all these pages, you haven't convinced anyone. There is nobody who lives outside of Qatar who has stepped forward and said that this looks to be the best bid. In fact, there are few people outside of Qatar who has stepped forward to say it's an attractive bid, let alone the best one and don't use FIFA officials or other political figures as proof because we all know they're in someones pocket.
not allowed to Qataris filling the stadiums 100% by their population (3.5 millions 2022) we should sell the tickets online for International fans and in retail stores in all neighboring countries and when I say neighboring countries that mean not Gulf countries only we should cover middle east include Israel & Egypt.

Also if you think that the World Cup is not fun in Qatar there was also many who believe that the World Cup is not fun in many countries that was held by that is called personal view as there millions of people in middle east & around the world they want to watch the world cup in Qatar while enjoy their stay there.

Last edited by qatarson; September 13th, 2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #1712
qatarson
BANNED

quick search as you did on facebook the most visited site in the world to see people opinion around world.

USA
[IMG]http://i53.************/zk4b3q.jpg[/IMG]

Australia
[IMG]http://i56.************/15g40l.jpg[/IMG]

Qatar
[IMG]http://i52.************/200pqx4.jpg[/IMG]

we appreciate these people support which will lead us to offer something special.
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #1713
T74

Likes (Received): 1

are we seriously bringing up facebook pages?

we have pages with 1,000,000+ for "people who think ABC team sucks"

most people I know with 100+ FB friends don't know any of them, they just keep accepting friend invites
T74 no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #1714
qatarson
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
are we seriously bringing up facebook pages?

we have pages with 1,000,000+ for "people who think ABC team sucks"

most people I know with 100+ FB friends don't know any of them, they just keep accepting friend invites
yes since Australia wrote on it is offical facebook page (Help bring WC to Australia).

we are feel the world support everywhere in facebook in Media, newspapers and countries official statements and this is very good for our bid.
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #1715
Solopop
Solopop

^

I agree with qatarson the WC host is made up by who has the most fans on facebook, but I'm also Sepp Blatter's friend and he told me Australia are awesome...
Solopop no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #1716
qatarson
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
^

I agree with qatarson the WC host is made up by who has the most fans on facebook, but I'm also Sepp Blatter's friend and he told me Australia are awesome...
I dont know where is the german octopus now or of course they asked him if that true or not
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #1717
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
yes since Australia wrote on it is offical facebook page (Help bring WC to Australia).

we are feel the world support everywhere in facebook in Media, newspapers and countries official statements and this is very good for our bid.

all of them are fluff pure and simple (yes - including ours)

they get stuffed by people with multiple accounts, and those who just reply "Like" to everything

I cannot believe you take this as a true indicator of popularity

You do know someone had a page promising to name their kid "Megatron" if they job 1 million people to sign up? That is the mentality of FB pages. A bit of fun, a crack, but nothing people should take seriously

Unlike Paul the Octopus, he is the guru
T74 no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #1718
qatarson
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
all of them are fluff pure and simple (yes - including ours)

they get stuffed by people with multiple accounts, and those who just reply "Like" to everything

I cannot believe you take this as a true indicator of popularity

You do know someone had a page promising to name their kid "Megatron" if they job 1 million people to sign up? That is the mentality of FB pages. A bit of fun, a crack, but nothing people should take seriously

Unlike Paul the Octopus, he is the guru
sure these just polls, as i said before and i repeat, choosen hosting countries would not resolve by comparing bids. every bid have features and the voting will be resolved between FIFA members.
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #1719
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9701

Here is an interesting point of view about Qatar's bid which differs "a bit" from the Qatari propaganda relayed in this thread (This article was written by an Australian who seems to know well the Gulf region and published on the Australian sports opinion website ROAR) :

Quote:
Why Qatar has no chance of hosting the World Cup

Of all the countries in the world that would consider themselves as being capable of hosting a World Cup, I would put Qatar close to the bottom of the list I would want to see hold it.

My view is formed largely on the experience I had from living in the Gulf State for 13 months a few years ago.
Granted things have changed, but in speaking to friends who still live there not that much to make me believe that my original reaction of thinking their bid was a practical joke was wildly inaccurate.

Here is why:

Infrastructure

Even if we accept the idea that indoor stadiums might possibly work, the rest of Qatar’s infrastructure would make any sort of World Cup a nightmare. The capital Doha, which is effectively the entire country, is pretty much a number of unmarked roads linked by huge roundabouts. These roads get absolutely choked with traffic every day except the holy day of Friday. Alright, they aren’t Robinson Crusoe on that front but when you are a relatively small city and you have major traffic problems what is it going to be like when your population explodes for a few months?

Everyone points to the statistic that they have one of the highest incomes per capita in the world, I like the one which states they have one of the highest rates of road fatalities in the world. Having taken my life in my hands a number of times every day when I was living there I can tell you, their roads, their drivers, their taxis and their public transport facilities (which are exclusively used by the lowly paid construction workers and go between the camps and the construction sites) would all score a zero on any objective test.

But let’s not knock them out because they have an ordinary peak hour.

Hotels

Quite simply these will need to be built for the World Cup. The Emir will no doubt claim that he will foot the bill and he’ll need to given the state of the Gulf real estate market following the property crash in Dubai.

Domestic crowds

We’ve been told that the suits from FIFA will be keeping an eye on crowd figures from the A-League when determining the bid and this implies that the empty seats on the Gold Coast are a bad look. I can tell you first hand that even the worst crowd at Skilled Park looks like a packed Wembley when compared to the Qatari domestic league (I honestly believe it is called the Q-League).

200 is about what you normally get to any sort of match in the local league, despite the likes of the De Boer brothers, Jay Jay Okocha and Alfonso Alves being on show.

The first match I went to with my wife had us sitting by ourselves on one side of a 10,000 seat Stadium (seeing I was attending with a female I had to sit in the family section, which as I found out not a particularly popular pastime). On the other side of the ground about 150 youths with loud speakers cheering on their teams.

Weather

The Qataris originally claimed they would win the bid and then stage the tournament in November. They then realised this was as popular as inviting everyone to a cardboard licking party and switched the indoor stadium fantasy land. This is because it’s the middle of the summer in Qatar at this time, that’s 50 degrees (dropping to about 45 at night) and around 100 per cent humidity. Add to that the fairly strict rules about conservative dress and you get the idea why it’s been termed “hell’s waiting room” in the summer months. So everyone gets to go on holidays to the World Cup and spend the entire time inside. Oh joy.

History of big events

Sure the Qataris are known to turn out to watch their country play in stadiums which hold around 12,000 and when they do en masse it’s chaos. Australia at least has a history of organising big sporting events. When I attended the Asian Games, should the ticket inspectors suddenly feel overwhelmed they simply shut the gates to any events. It was madness. Okay it can be fixed but you are starting at ground zero.

Get the beers in

Fact: you can drink at a number of very boring and dull hotel bars in Qatar and alcohol can be purchased by expats who have purchased a permit (which is reasonably straightforward). But on the whole you are looking at a dry World Cup. “Oh, it’s not just about fans getting pissed” is what the critics cry. That is certainly true, but it’s also true that potential tourists go to a place they can enjoy themselves and for the vast majority of fans that enjoyment is linked to watching the football and having a few beers.

What is more complex is alcohol sponsorship. FIFA is very protective of their sponsors, particularly the brewers who fork out big dollars for the right. How do you think they’ll react to, “Hey boys, how about you sit this one out?”

Blood sweat and tears

Those state of the art stadiums which everyone is so excited about will be built by foreign workers, shanghaied into working in the Gulf for a paltry wage, who often choose to live on the construction site because it is better than the “accommodation” they pay a premium to have.

It’s nothing short of a disgrace. This is modern day slavery and even I would be stunned by FIFA should they stoop so low as to condone this sort of treatment.

Geo-politics

Here is a question? How does a country that doesn’t recognise the state of Israel host an international tournament that Israel is hoping to qualify for? Do we just hope they don’t qualify and to avoid an embarrassing stand-off? And even if we dodge that bullet (no pun intended) what happens when Israelis or even people who have previously visited Israel decide they want to attend because as it stands Qatar refuses entry to anyone with that said stamp in there passport (yes, I know there are ways around it, but that ain’t no way to run a tournament)?

The Middle East is “a powder keg”, one only needs to look at the enormous fight that occurred when Dubai wanted to host the America’s Cup (yes, the America’s Cup) and you get an idea of what sort of bun fight we are in for if the World Cup goes to Qatar, just a short hop across the Gulf from Iran and that other fun spot, Iraq.

Not even the power hungry maniacs at FIFA nor the naive sports fan who thinks that a football match can cure all can even begin to believe that the problems of the Middle East could be solved by hosting New Zealand and the Czech Republic at Al Saad stadium.*

The 2022 World Cup is between Australia and the USA (with China looking over our shoulder).

*Al Saad Stadium was down to host a number of Women’s football matches at the 2006 Asian Games until the owner of the stadium decreed no woman could play on its surface. Good luck with the bid boys.
(theroar.com.au, July 2010)

IMO all this summarizes quite perfectly (with a certain sense of humor ) what many SSC members have already wrote here, and what many many people/football fans (outside middle-east) think about the Qatar's bid !!
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #1720
Solopop
Solopop

^
<3
Solopop no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022