daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 14th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #1741
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Quote:
Originally Posted by The executive View Post
Ok, let's actually ask this question towards the other direction: what will Australia do to get itself ready for a possible win in the FWC bid? Australia will do what ever it needs to do. As we've gone with past Olympics, Commonwealth Games, Rugby and Cricket World Cups, etc.
** Will you guys do something to stop racism in Melbourne against international workers & students who contribue a lot in boosting the national economy? What do you expect us to do? That issue is minuscule and was little more than a media beat-up. Have you heard much of it lately?
** Will you extend the working hours of shopping malls instead of closing at 5 in the afternoon and do something about these over-priced restaurants located in every central business district? CBD shops are generally open later... and get a better paying job to pay for these restaurants.
** Do you think the rates of public transportaion are fair for all of those visiting the country temporarely for the event? Rates of taxis are already high & they get even higher in peak periods & weekends, c'mon, not to mention the internal flights which won't be cheap. When will Qatar and Saudi Arabia sell oil cheaper? Maybe then taxi prices will come down.
** The quarantine laws in the Australian airports are going to drive people mad if they are kept this way you know what I mean! Good. There's a reason it's like that.
** The Australian market is not so diverse. A lot malls have repeated Australian brands. There are not many international franchise businesses competing well in the market except a bunch of chinese shops selling cheap-looking products & poor quality clothes. Most shopping malls have a famous department store called Target & another one called k-mart and seriosuly, they are the worst I've ever seen in my life and most of their products are imported from china as the other Australian stores because labor is so cheap in Asia. Again, get yourself a better job and go find a Fendi/Prada/Louis Vuitton/Burberry/Hermes store, whatever. By the way, you've obviously never strolled up Collins Street, Castlereagh Street, Elkhorn Avenue or been inside Chadstone, Robina or the soon-to-open Westfield Sydney...

Anyways, these are few issues I wanted to rise & I think they are enough for now. You see, that's what I'm talking about. You can never find a country that's so perfect. There are always disadvantages in every country. I hope people just stop picking on others.. Instead of attacking other competing countries, go & support your bid!

Good luck for everyone!
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #1742
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
Wrong thread idiot.
Well yes he should have posted it in the Australian thread but he's not an Idiot. What he posted was clear, sensible and fair.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 03:54 AM   #1743
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
"WC" haha good one!
You are totally right & I believe we've got all of that except the biodiversity as in Australia and the warm weather is a disadvantafe for us but there are cooling techniques to be implemented in the studiums of course & most of shopping malls & entertainment venues are indoor buildings and for open-air places, they are normally well shaded.
Sorry mate but your wrong wrong wrong.You offer 1 small city Doha
This is not an Olympic bid-please understand this.Its so clear cut.
What Qatar offers in this area is so much less than anyone else in the current race or in living memory that it devalues the World Cup by its very existence.
The rules are that the successful FA can only host 2 stadiums in 1 city,all other stadiums will be in a totally separate city with different transport systems,different accommodation,different tourist attractions,different food,even different weather and timezones.

All other 8 bidders naturally comply with this most basic technical criteria

Monaco couldn't host the WC,nor Hong Kong,Melbourne New York.
The only city in the world that might,just might get close is London

As for the "warm " weather

A bid with UAE would overcome many issues obviously.
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #1744
qatarson
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Wrong thread idiot.
solopop watch your languge and dont start again
qatarson no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #1745
qatarson
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Thanks for posting the links-again articles I hadn't seen
Straight away what struck me was the first author is a rugby writer and the second author seems to know people in the Qatar bid and infact did their wiki entry

I get the impression they are both are being paid for their comment but anyway
you can not say else as you said earlier about ( media, newspaper, fifa members, countries & nations supporting Qatar ) they all get bribes !!

and now says about your country sons charge a bribe to write an articles !!
Old September 14th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #1746
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

We might as well change the thread name to "Qatar vs Australia for 2022 Hosts". The current Australian thread is useless i am not sure why you do not take these fights to that thread since they are mostly Australia related.

Will737, instead of just ignoring the entire post, help clarify what is going to be done about it like "Dimethyltryptamine"

Solopop, discussing everything is ok, but when it comes to Australia, not acceptable, instead insulting the person, respond please with clarifications, sources, info etc.

Dimethyltryptamine, great response, some are not clear though. especially the taxi price issue... which raises a question, is there any form of working metro/light rail in Australia ? if not, are there any planned for any city ?? please post thread links.

_X_, and this is why the Qatar bid is unique, its compact for fans so they don't need to spend time travelling, or change of hotel accommodation etc. all stadiums are no more than an hour drive apart, this would mean that fans will be able to go from match to match in 30 minutes, the stadiums, training pitches and fan-zones/fest will be cooled which mean players will be playing in their full performance, and the spectators/fans will be comfortable and will enjoy the match.
on a side note, I think if people by now still think that money couldn't change somethings, they would be foolish. Most people know there is some sort of deal between Bin Hammam and Blatter. Blatter supports Bin Hammam for the AFC while Bin Hammam supports Blatter for FIFA in exchange off course, the 2022 FIFA World cup in Qatar. That and buying CAF (In addition to sponsoring their congress), Getting the Arab Football Federations support and also the full support and help of Saudi Arabia & UAE. That is not to mention the Brazilian support (Brazil has won the world cup many times + 2014 WC hosts), and South African support (hosted 2010 WC).

Thanks.... Today is the start of the FIFA inspection in Qatar.

Last edited by Qatar Son 333; September 14th, 2010 at 09:17 AM.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #1747
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Good luck with the inspection .

ps. I will answer your questions in the Australian Bid thread, so that we don't continue to drag this thread off topic and eventually have it locked.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #1748
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

Seriously I called him an idiot, it's not like when qatarson called my mum a bitch.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #1749
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Thanks Dimethy. Some hope for this thread...

Qatar ready to prove it can host Cup

DOHA: Qatar is ready to show the FIFA community that it is a serious contender to win the World Cup race against rival bidders.

A six-member FIFA inspection team starts its visit today to see what Qatar has to offer as potential World Cup hosts in 2022.

The inspection team — headed by Harold Mayne-Nicholls — will visit sports stadiums, view presentations on Qatar’s vision and plans for the World Cup and meet with key dignitaries besides experiencing local culture and cuisine during its three-day stay.

H E Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Chairman of the Qatar 2022 Bid, said the visit was an important milestone in the journey of Qatar’s Bid and a seminal moment in the sport of football throughout the region.

“We are thrilled to have the opportunity to present our bid, in all its detail and ambition, to football’s governing body,” Sheikh Mohammed said on the eve of the three-day inspection.

The inspection schedule will include a presentation on Qatar’s ground-breaking development of environmentally-friendly cooling technologies. The cooling technologies, which have been developed as a second-generation of the cooling system currently in use at Doha’s Al Sadd stadium, will allow the tournament to be held during the summer months, and will ensure comfortable conditions for players, coaches and fans during the World Cup.

Following their visit of the prototype stadium, the FIFA inspectors will be guests at a Qatar Stars League match involving football giants Al Sadd and Al Rayyan at the Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad Stadium, the world’s first outdoor venue with cooling technology.

Tomorrow, the FIFA inspectors will see presentations on Qatar’s infrastructure and development plans including new public transportation networks that will allow Qatar to host the most compact and convenient World Cup in history.

Thursday’s schedule includes a detailed presentation on proposed stadia to be used for the tournament. Designed to meet and exceed FIFA capacity requirements, and built to reflect Qatar’s rich cultural heritage and traditions, the stadiums represent the keystone of Qatar’s bid and a testament to the country’s modernity and development.

On Thursday, the FIFA inspectors are scheduled to visit the Aspire Centre for Sports Excellence.

They will also visit the medical facilities at Aspire and have the opportunity to visit the acclaimed Museum of Islamic Art, designed by architect I M Pei.

“We feel extremely confident that FIFA will enjoy learning about our plans for the World Cup,” bid CEO Hassan Al Thawadi said yesterday.

“We can say that every angle will be covered, from green technologies to infrastructure and accommodation to the legacy of greater understanding that a World Cup in Qatar will leave. This is a bid unlike any other, and we take the responsibility to our country and the entire region very seriously,” Al Thawadi added.

Qatar is also confident of scoring points on its geographical location, saying football fans can fly into Doha from all corners of the globe with relative ease.

Qatar Airways is the national carrier and is one of only six airlines in the world with a five-star ranking for service and hospitality. With a fleet of 60 aircraft, Qatar Airways flies to more than 80 destinations globally. As part of the country’s Vision 2030, Qatar is set to develop a modern integrated railway system in collaboration with Germany’s Deutsche Bahn.

The multi-billion dollar project involves putting in place an efficient local transport system as well as international freight and passenger lines, including a high-speed rail link to Bahrain.

All 12 stadiums in Qatar will be linked with the railway system that is expected to be in public use in the next half a decade.

THE PENINSULA
Old September 14th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #1750
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Seriously I called him an idiot, it's not like when qatarson called my mum a bitch.
I was hoping the indecency in this thread would have ended by now... why open up old wounds ? might as well bring back racism and aboriginals
Old September 14th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #1751
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:

You are totally right & I believe we've got all of that except the biodiversity as in Australia and the warm weather is a disadvantafe for us but there are cooling techniques to be implemented in the studiums of course & most of shopping malls & entertainment venues are indoor buildings and for open-air places, they are normally well shaded.
Well yes, Australia is almost the entire Oceanic continent and they have a great well studied biodiversity. Qatar although not the biodiversity of Australia but certainly has a biodiversity. The Oryx seems to be most popular here, in fact the Oryx is part of the 2011 AFC Asian Cup logo, The Asian Games Mascot (Orry) and Qatar Airways Logo. the rest of the Qatari peninsula's biodiversity is still understudy in most cases. for example the recent study that started on the "Ethiopian Hedgehog" in Qatar (link). most of these studies and researches are grants from Qatar National Research Fund of Qatar Foundation.

Maybe not the best biodiversity but at least there is some.

This thread in about the Qatar 2022 bid, not Kangaroo's and Oryx's or Kangaroo's vs Oryx's for that matter.

Case closed
Old September 14th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #1752
Solopop
Solopop

Old wounds, yesterday my mate, hardly old.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #1753
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Qatar promises a unique 4C of Word Cup 2022, and aiming to bring unity, understanding and a first-ever FIFA World Cup to the Middle East. The way I see, the inspection tour is a test for Qatar’s promotional ad (which is also the fundamental concepts of its bid) : central, compact, connected, and cool.

- Central: Qatar offers central locationowing to its strategic location in Middle East; accessible from Europe/America, Africa and (East) Asia, roughly equally distant.

- Compact: This is an answer for question: Is Qatar big enough?. As Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad bin Khalifa al Thani, the chairman of Qatar 2022, put it “What we are presenting in relative terms is a micro-organised, compact World Cup format”. Qatar is a small country jutted out of Arabian Peninsula measuring 160s km the longest for 11,437km2 area. Football fans will be benefited from Qatar’s compact size for accommodation (no need to change hotels), transportation (end-to-end is about one-two hour drive) and a chance to see more than one match a day.

- Connected: “Our World Cup stadia will be connected to a public metro network system,” Sheikh Mohammed said. “In terms of accessibility, every stadium is within an hour of each other. Fans can access several matches a day should they choose to.” Sheikh Mohammed predicted that between 70 and 80 per cent of all World Cup fans, or 35,000 passengers every three hours, could be accommodated on the metro, which is due to be completed in 2021. Qatar will also be connected to Bahrain through a 45-km causeway.

- Cool: A Qatari tournament in the summer of 2022, having been derided as too hot for an outdoor June-July grand show. During the month of June/July, temperature can rise up to 45 C. The solution: “Weather will no longer inhibit any nation from hosting a World Cup,” Sheikh Mohammed said. “Our cooling system is a world-first and it is carbon-neutral. We are implementing zero carbon cooling technologies in all of our stadia.” The complex system of solar panels and water temperature converters that will yield optimum playing surface conditions of 27-28°C will be built. However it is not only about the matches but also life after football – fans gathering, party, and any related activities.
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #1754
GermanGuy

I don’t understand where all these negative thoughts come from. Qatar might face challenges other countries do not, but this is exactly the point, isn’t it?
The biggest one obviously is climate. No way to argue around that. But, about one third of the inhabited landmass shows same or similar climate conditions. Most of the countries that need to deal with this fact are less fortunate. They will benefit from the technology developed to host a World Cup in such conditions. The sustainably cooled stadia erected in Qatar will be modular and partly dismantled post use. They will add up to 22 new smaller stadia. They will be donated by FIFA to countries, which cannot afford to build their own.
Qatar is taking the responsibility connected to their wealth very seriously. Qatar Foundation has done so much for the world from its founding year in 1995 that the list would be too long to display here. The Qatar Katrina Fond is an example that Qatar means business if they talk about fast, to the point and unbureaucratic aid.
I do have some difficulties understanding the fear of not being able to eat “Bratwurst” and get totally wasted in comparison to the implications a World Cup in the Middle East holds for human kind.
One can sympathize with one or the other country and the reasons do not have to be logical. It’s everyone’s good right. But is it too much to ask to do SOME research before coming forward with accusations or simply wrong statements?
I can only say: ”For the Game. For the World.”
GermanGuy no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #1755
The executive

Quote:
Old wounds, yesterday my mate, hardly old.
c'mon ... I was merely trying to discuss serious issues in terms of the preparations, but I forgive you for your unexpected response although I wasn't insulting Australians or people of Melbourne...

Thanks Dimethyltryptamine for the clarifications. I went to some of these malls you mentioned. I have to agree they are awesome, but most of them are far from the Australian CBDs & travelers expect to see a top quality mall like these at the heart of the city.

cheers
The executive no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:39 AM   #1756
RobH

Likes (Received): 10337

I think it's quite clear that none of those issues are serious detrminents to a world cup bid in Australia though. Cost of restaurants, the diversity of shopping malls in Australia, taxi prices, cost of internal flights etc are all issues but none of them as serious as a bid which is offering one city for a world cup. Australia's problems are fixable. However, I just don't see how under any circumstances somewhere as small as Qatar, with a domestic league which doesn't draw many fans, with the problems of temperature outside of the stadiums can overcome its problems. The issues "The executive" raised (incidentally in the wrong thread) are miniscule compared with the issues Qatar faces.

I'm still not convinced a world cup in Qatar is even remotely feasible. X hit the nail on the head:

Quote:
Monaco couldn't host the WC,nor Hong Kong,Melbourne New York.
The only city in the world that might,just might get close is London
How would people feel about a London world cup bid? It is, after all, at least 10 times bigger than Doha, has in existance 4 football ready stadiums with more than 40,000 seats, is building an 80,000 seat stadium which could host football, is likely to gain planning permission for a 57,000 seat football stadium which will be built by 2014. By my reckoning that's 6 stadiums already. Expand Charlton's stadium by another 10,000 seats too and perhaps at a stretch MK Dons can be involved as well. 8 stadiums with only minimal building work! The temperatures are already suited to football, the stadiums will be filled every week afterwards without needing to downsize them, there's a huge amount to do in London, the transport is ready, as are the hotel rooms....a London world cup seems so much more feasible!! Why not???

I love the ambition places like Qatar show, but my head won't let me ignore the massive logisitcal problems that exist, and really, the fact that domestic league attendance figures aren't to be found anywhere on the internet doesn't reassure me that the legacy is sensible either.

Last edited by RobH; September 14th, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #1757
qatarson
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I think it's quite clear that none of those issues are serious detrminents to a world cup bid in Australia though. Cost of restaurants, the diversity of shopping malls in Australia, taxi prices, cost of internal flights etc are all issues but none of them as serious as a bid which is offering one city for a world cup. Australia's problems are fixable. However, I just don't see how under any circumstances somewhere as small as Qatar, with a domestic league which doesn't draw many fans, with the problems of temperature outside of the stadiums can overcome its problems. The issues "The executive" raised (incidentally in the wrong thread) are miniscule compared with the issues Qatar faces.
if we talk about weather Qatar is (40c) in summer and this weather can found any where in the world due to global warming may becom worst in Australia 2022 as Moscow burned this year when it is reached 45c plus Australia & USA has serious problems such as natural disasters (floods, hurricanes, earth quicks) and these things do not exist in a stable country such as Qatar with stable weather.

everyone saw the natural disaster (the flood) that occurred in Australia and how was the evacuation of thousands of Australia such disasters do not occur in Qatar and can not disturb the wool international events to become an international funeral.

with these natural disasters they have right to bid on worldcup but it's better that taxpayers money go to build infrastructure so floods never happen again.
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #1758
qatarson
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
How would people feel about a London world cup bid? It is, after all, at least 10 times bigger than Doha, has in existance 4 football ready stadiums with more than 40,000 seats, is building an 80,000 seat stadium which could host football, is likely to gain planning permission for a 57,000 seat football stadium which will be built by 2014. By my reckoning that's 6 stadiums already. Expand Charlton's stadium by another 10,000 seats too and perhaps at a stretch MK Dons can be involved as well. 8 stadiums with only minimal building work! The temperatures are already suited to football, the stadiums will be filled every week afterwards without needing to downsize them, there's a huge amount to do in London, the transport is ready, as are the hotel rooms....a London world cup seems so much more feasible!! Why not???

I love the ambition places like Qatar show, but my head won't let me ignore the massive logisitcal problems that exist, and really, the fact that domestic league attendance figures aren't to be found anywhere on the internet doesn't reassure me that the legacy is sensible either.
I knew london very well im always there and I still remember horribel things can happen in london such flood once I weakup and I found all london under flood and I wasnt abel to use undergound becouse all stations closed and I take taxi I spent 3 hours to reach the place i was going to and dont ask how much that taxi charged me coz you will be shocked.

that not mean im against England I support England 2018 bid and I hope it host the world cup.

but not meant others bids doesnt have negative factors and some very serious
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #1759
Solopop
Solopop

What natural disaters happened in Australia?

The bushfires which happend hundreds of kms from cities?
Floods in rural farm land?

Hardly affecting the bid.

Yes, we know Australia gets to 40c but that happens 6 months before and after the cup. In the cup we'd get prime football wheater. Also this disscusion of malls being important to a bid, what a joke! You don't go to another country to just shop, you go to experience the culture. Most malls in Australia are built to service the suburbs not international tourists, they go to the CBD where there are countless shops.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #1760
qatarson
BANNED

Quote:
What natural disaters happened in Australia?

The bushfires which happend hundreds of kms from cities?
Floods in rural farm land?

Hardly affecting the bid.

Yes, we know Australia gets to 40c but that happens 6 months before and after the cup. In the cup we'd get prime football wheater. Also this disscusion of malls being important to a bid, what a joke! You don't go to another country to just shop, you go to experience the culture. Most malls in Australia are built to service the suburbs not international tourists, they go to the CBD where there are countless shops.
of course people not going to shopping only or have fun !! but they also want to be safe and not die in flood or at least stuck without transportation, electricity etc ...

well we will do the same as you did to Qatar bid !! what will happen if temperature rise during the 2022 and this can occur due to global warming in any place in world as happen recently in many places in world.

we already know Qatar (Plan B) in Qatar bid but what is yours for the year 2022 !!!

Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022