daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 15th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #1801
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Qatar raises 2022 temperature by playing it cool

A cool 19'C inside the Al Sadd stadium while 39'C outside.

DOHA, September 14, 2010 - Outside the humid evening temperature had not dipped very far below 40degC. Yet the players of Al Sadd and Al Rayyan ran, chased, bustled and hustled through their Stars League clash as if immune to the dangers of dehydration.

The wingbacks raced forward optimistically in support of every attack, the strikers pursued lost causes relentlessly and the goalkeepers bounced and pounced around their areas as if it were a World Cup tie.

That they could all do so owed everything to the technological breakthrough which, little but rich Qatar hopes, will persuade FIFA to award them host rights – against all the traditional odds – to the World Cup finals in 2022.

Unobtrusive, around the flanking pitch walls of the Al Sadd Stadium, ran a decorative ring of small black spheres. But these were not design features but key features of a system which cools the air temperature for players and fans.

This is the future and, as the busy players of Al Sadd and Al Rayyan demonstrated to their fans and officials – as well as to this writer and more than 100 other members of the international media – it works.

Al Sadd was always an appropriate club to invest in the initial system. This is the so-called “Real Madrid of the Gulf,” the richest club in Qatar and most successful with more than 300 cups glistening, glinting and gleaming on the trophy room shelves inside the stadium.

But the power of tomorrow stands 100 metres away outside the stadium walls. This is a power plant which drives 6,000 tonnes of refrigeration from chilled water through an underground pipeline to the stadium and out through the 150 vents which fringe the pitch and are replicated beneath every seat around the ground to keep the stands as cool as the pitch.

As the teams sheet noted, temperature at pitch level was a mere 19deg - low enough to keep any gloved Nordic midfielder happy.

This is believed to be the first such system in the world and was installed and started up just over a year ago at a cost of around $20m. Already researchers have developed refinements which will ensure, say the Qataris, that by 2022 the system can be carbon-zero.

For Qatar’s World Cup bid team, this is progress with a double legacy benefit which should appeal to FIFA. Not only can they provide cool temperatures for players and fans at matches, at training and in the fan parks but it can be exported to countries – largely in the developing world – confronting similar challenges.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #1802
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

A 110-storey-high Doha Convention Centre would be Fifa headquarters for the Qatar 2022 World Cup

Some images of the project.

Old September 15th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #1803
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Qatar 2022 World Cup Bid Showcases High-tech Transport Plans

(WFI) FIFA inspectors today heard about Qatar 2022's plans for a high-speed rail and metro system as part of its ambitious bid proposals to bring the World Cup to the Middle East for the first time.

On its second day in the Gulf state, the FIFA delegation led by Harold Mayne-Nicholls visited Qatari Diar, the real estate arm of the Qatar Investment Authority, to view presentations on Qatar’s development plans for the capital city of Doha.

These included details of the state-of-the art high-speed rail and metro system to be completed before 2022.

"All transportation networks will use environmentally-friendly technology and will allow Qatar to host the most compact World Cup in history, with no more than an hour travel time between stadiums, hotels and other facilities," a Qatar bid statement said.

FIFA delegates were also briefed on the new Doha International Airport and its capacity to handle thousands of football fans visiting for a World Cup. The airport opens in 2012.

A visit to Qatar's National Command Centre then took place for a briefing on the Gulf kingdom's safety and security plans for the 2022 tournament.

Also included in the programme were meetings with H.E. Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser al Thani, Minister of State for Internal Affairs, and HE Sheikh Abdulrahman Bin Khalifa Al Thani, Minister of Municipality and Urban Planning.

The day concluded with visits to Education City, the site of Qatar’s large-scale investment in higher education and research, and the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development. The FIFA team was also taken on a tour of the Museum of Islamic Art, billed as one of the finest facilities for cultural artifacts and heritage in the Middle East.

Qatar 2022 communications director Nasser Al Khater said the variety of visits and meetings with senior ministerial leaders showed the breadth of official government support for Qatar’s bid.

“From the start, our bid has had the full backing and support of the country’s government at the highest levels," he said.

"We hope that these visits will show that all elements of the country’s leadership and citizenry are firmly united behind this historic bid, and all have made substantial preparations in their particular areas of expertise to ensure a smoothly-run World Cup which leaves a significant local, regional and international legacy.”

Yesterday, FIFA's six-man evaluation team got to see Qatar's much-hyped "environmentally-friendly cooling technologies" in action at a prototype stadium before taking in a Qatar Stars League match between Al Rayyan and Al Sadd at Al Sadd Stadium where similar cooling technology is used.

The FIFA inspection wraps up on Thursday, following a presentation on Qatar’s ambitious stadium development and design plans at the Aspire Academy for Sports Excellence.

Inspectors and bid Officials will then take a helicopter tour of the area. A final presentation of Qatar’s vision for the World Cup will follow.

Closing statements by Mayne-Nicholls and Qatar 2022 bid leaders will then be made to accredited media at the Four Seasons Hotel in Doha.

Qatar 2022 bid officials, including chairman H.E. Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad al Thani, will give their assessment of the FIFA visit in a separate press conference.

INSIDER is attending this week's media tour as a guest of the Qatar 2022 bid committee which paid for the trip.
Old September 16th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #1804
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

They lose a lot of credibility being on a trip that the bid committee paid for. Makes it difficult to trust anything that they say. Not that their lying or overstating things, but I'd want confirmation from a different media source on pretty much anything bid related now.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #1805
T74

Likes (Received): 1

the number of bodies does effect AC's performance

I live near one of the biggest shopping malls in Australia, and during summer the AC is always nice and cool

that is until the sales are on and the temp really cranks up - when the numbers in there are at bursting point, all the body temp starts pushing the AC to the limit

used to see this in movie theatres in summer too. you would be sweating when there was 500 in a fully booked session, but when the people leave 5 minutes later you need a jacket its that cold

not saying the tech won't work, just that the size of the attendance will effect things IMO
T74 no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:15 AM   #1806
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
the number of bodies does effect AC's performance

I live near one of the biggest shopping malls in Australia, and during summer the AC is always nice and cool

that is until the sales are on and the temp really cranks up - when the numbers in there are at bursting point, all the body temp starts pushing the AC to the limit

used to see this in movie theatres in summer too. you would be sweating when there was 500 in a fully booked session, but when the people leave 5 minutes later you need a jacket its that cold

not saying the tech won't work, just that the size of the attendance will effect things IMO
My thoughts exactly. Number of people and square footage/space it needs to cool would definitely affect things. I'm not saying it won't work either, but I'd like to see it proven. I think it would be wise on Qatar's part to partner to have it installed at a large stadium elsewhere and prove it there. I don't know if it's possible this close to the vote and if not, I think it was a missed opportunity.
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #1807
Gondolier

Likes (Received): 0

Qatar can put up the best technology but that does NOT buy a deeper and WIDER footballing culture which a world tournament like WC needs. Qatar should show its intentions first by hosting the Women's WC (w/ an Israeli team). And after that, prove that they can stage a safe, free and enjoyable tournament.
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #1808
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
Qatar can put up the best technology but that does NOT buy a deeper and WIDER footballing culture which a world tournament like WC needs. Qatar should show its intentions first by hosting the Women's WC (w/ an Israeli team). And after that, prove that they can stage a safe, free and enjoyable tournament.
Even if they did it, the cooling technology was proven to work in a large stadium and everything else went according to plan, I still go back to the country being too small for a World Cup no matter what they do. A joint bid could be feasible, but as a solo bid, a U-17 or U-20 WC is where they max out IMO. They could do a great job with a youth World Cup though, where six venues can be enough and the stadiums don't need to be so large. It would be perfect for them. The 2013 U-17 and U-20 events haven't been awarded yet so I hope they put in a bid for one of those two.
Old September 16th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #1809
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Egypt will be the first Arab hosts of a football world cup. Egypt has the infrastructure, the football history and the tourist attractions to actually host a proper world cup. Qatar stabbed Egypt in the back in 2010. Now it's Egypt's turn for revenge. Besides for a country that has never qualified for a world cup, it's pretty "American" to try and host it. I've lived in Qatar for a decade, my dad worked with Cable & Wireless managing all the communications infrastructure in Qatar. There's only one tourist attraction in the capital, the Corniche and then you head just outside of Doha, which is really small anyway, it's like a country town in any other part of the world and you hit scorching desert with nobody but camels crossing the road
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #1810
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
Egypt will be the first Arab hosts of a football world cup. Egypt has the infrastructure, the football history and the tourist attractions to actually host a proper world cup. Qatar stabbed Egypt in the back in 2010. Now it's Egypt's turn for revenge. Besides for a country that has never qualified for a world cup, it's pretty "American" to try and host it. I've lived in Qatar for a decade, my dad worked with Cable & Wireless managing all the communications infrastructure in Qatar. There's only one tourist attraction in the capital, the Corniche and then you head just outside of Doha, which is really small anyway, it's like a country town in any other part of the world and you hit scorching desert with nobody but camels crossing the road
Having been to Egypt and Turkey I know both would hold brilliant world cups actually.
As said previously-there are 20 FIFA World Cups-many would be suitable for Doha because a single city bid is acceptable via FIFA statute and it can be hosted away from the 53 degree heat of June/July

Well done to Qatar on their bid and presentation but at the end of the day just 1 major fact overrides everything-its not an Olympic bid.Doha just does not comply as a stand alone city for the Worlds biggest sporting event
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #1811
mj12

Likes (Received): 15

is that picture from horror movie ?
mj12 no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #1812
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
My thoughts exactly. Number of people and square footage/space it needs to cool would definitely affect things. I'm not saying it won't work either, but I'd like to see it proven. I think it would be wise on Qatar's part to partner to have it installed at a large stadium elsewhere and prove it there. I don't know if it's possible this close to the vote and if not, I think it was a missed opportunity.
Yes unfortunately there was no time, the showcase stadium was built in 4 months, but i still think its a good example on the second generation of cooling and the AlSadd stadium as a bigger example. besides i think the engineers thought about these things way before the cooling technology was even announced so we shouldn't really worry about when they are the one that have to find solutions. more seats = more people = more cooling, simple...
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #1813
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

FIFA team spends busy day in Doha

(Notice the stadium in the image )

DOHA: The inspection team from FIFA examining Qatar’s bid for the 2022 World Cup completed a packed schedule of presentations and informational sessions yesterday, including meetings with some ministers.

The FIFA team visited Qatari Diar, the real estate arm of Qatar Investment Authority, to view presentations on Qatar’s development plans for the capital city of Doha, which include a state-of-the-art high-speed rail and metro system to be completed before the World Cup.

All transport networks will use environmentally-friendly technology and allow Qatar to host the most compact World Cup in history, with no more than an hour’s travel time between stadiums, hotels and other facilities. Another presentation was given on the New Doha International Airport, set to begin operations in 2012.

The FIFA inspectors were also taken to the National Command Centre for a briefing on safety and security.

The day concluded with visits to Education City and Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development.

Additionally, the inspectors were taken on a tour of the Museum of Islamic Art.

Also included in the programme were meetings with H E Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani, Minister of State for Internal Affairs, and H E Sheikh Abdulrahman bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz Al Thani, Minister of Municipality and Urban Planning.

Nasser Al Khater, Communications Director for the Qatar 2022 Bid, said the variety of visits and meetings with ministers showed the breadth of government support for Qatar’s bid.

“From the start, our bid has had the full backing and support of the country’s government at the highest levels. We hope that these visits will show that all elements of the country’s leadership and citizenry are firmly united behind this historic bid, and all have made substantial preparations in their particular areas of expertise to ensure a smoothly-run World Cup which leaves a significant local, regional and international legacy.”

THE PENINSULA
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #1814
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

FIFA delegation visit Qatar infrastructure projects

DOHA, 16 September, 2010 - FIFA inspection team members accompanied by HE Sheikh Mohamed Bin Hamad Al Thani , The Chairman of Qatar 2022 Bid committee have made a productive visit to Qatar Diar Real Estate Investment Company on Wednesday to evaluate Losail project complex as one of main schemes enlisted in Qatar 2022 Bid.

Following the visit, Mr. Majdi Yousef, the general manager of losail projects complex gave a brief presentation about the complex to the visitors, saying that the project contains one stadium plus 5 warm-up playgrounds which will be constructed as per the FIFA criteria and specifications.

Mr. Majdi told reporters on Wednesday that FIFA team members were impressed by the losail projects , where they collectively praised the vision and quality of the complex which will also includes 19 residential and commercial units alongside 5 water Islands.

The visiting delegation also made a second fruitful visit to Qatar Railways project , where they received a brief summary about MRT project from the project manager, Mr. Sultan Al Anazi.

According to Mr. Al Anazi the Railway project will link all areas of the country during the FIFA WC 2022, reaffirming that the project will be accomplished in 2021.
--------------

More images of the project (Lusail city):

Old September 16th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #1815
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9699

will, will, will.......
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #1816
ryebreadraz

I love how Doha Golf Club is a stone's throw away from these projects...but it's another city. Yup, nine miles away really is another city.
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #1817
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

^
By Qatar standards it is, but 9km in Melbourne is just another suburb.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #1818
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
I love how Doha Golf Club is a stone's throw away from these projects...but it's another city. Yup, nine miles away really is another city.
Dude, accept the fact that this is a compact world cup, in a small country that might as well be considered a city state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
^
By Qatar standards it is, but 9km in Melbourne is just another suburb.
The project is just called "lusail city" but is an extension to greater Doha.
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #1819
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

^
So then it shouldn't be allowed to have its own stadium if Doha already has two.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #1820
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
^
So then it shouldn't be allowed to have its own stadium if Doha already has two.
Dude, Face the fact that Qatar (which has 1 MAJOR city) is bidding for the world cup and the bid has made it until this point which includes the inspection, that rule of 1 stadium at 1 city is not taken seriously. the rest of the rules however are.

Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022