daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 17th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #1881
Dubaiiscool:)

Likes (Received): 16

Zidane named Qatar's World Cup bid ambassador

Sept 17, 2010

Former France midfielder Zinedine Zidane has been appointed ambassador for Qatar's attempt to host the 2022 World Cup, said the Gulf Arab state's bid committee.

Qatar's bid is one of nine for the finals but their main opposition is likely to come from Australia, Japan, South Korea and United States.

"Football is for everyone," Zidane said in a statement. "When I think of all the youth of the Middle East, what they're missing is an event like the World Cup.

"We had [the 2010 World Cup] in Africa and now it is time for the Middle East."

It is almost certain one of the four European bids from England, Russia, Spain/Portugal and Belgium/Netherlands will win the right to stage the 2018 World Cup, meaning a country from outside Europe will stage the 2022 finals.

Qatar would be the smallest host country since Uruguay held the inaugural tournament in 1930.

The head of a FIFA inspection team hinted on Thursday the Gulf Arab state's size, rather than its fierce summer heat or the fact it is an Islamic country, could rule it out of contention though.

FIFA will announce the venues for 2018 and 2022 in Zurich on Dec. 2.

http://football.uk.reuters.com/leagu.../LDE68G10A.php

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #1882
waqif
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

solopop you are a racist hateful it is not just one post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
What does this have to do with anything bid related?
nothing ryebreadraz ! solopop is showing his hatred over arabs & muslims

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
football legend Zinedine Zidane is Qatar 2022 newest Bid Ambassador!
You mean the guy that all French football lovers hate?

Great, way to make the French hate you. xP

he think french people have hatred against arabs & muslims like him

Quote:
Wow, Qatar Son 333 & qatarson get off your high-horse and face the facts. Your country is not important. All you've ever done is produced a dick who has run the AFC to the ground.
clear racism

Quote:
You may not have had terrorists attacks but it's your proximity to regions that do that scare me. :/
because you have racism and Islam phobia and as guys said you troll this topic with your bullshit
waqif no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #1883
qatarson
BANNED

Quote:
If you read my post it said, I was making an example of how Qatar might struggle to accept the Western ways during a WC, due to there Islamic beliefs. There is no need to get personal, I'm mearly trying to prove a point, that you for some reason fin personal.
huh I know what you are
qatarson no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #1884
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Thread isn't going to last much longer, but waqif, I don't think Solopop said anything racist... No more so than what's been said about Australia anyway.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #1885
waqif
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Thread isn't going to last much longer, but waqif, I don't think Solopop said anything racist... No more so than what's been said about Australia anyway.
his racist comments do not enrich the thread
waqif no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #1886
swifty78

Likes (Received): 549

keep the rants goin, great entertainment
swifty78 no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #1887
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatarson View Post
you are who is naive and sick does not see beyond your nose

everyone know Ramadan and all muslims fasting around world and there more than 52 islamic countries and Ramadan is not during worldcup and your question so stupid showing nothing more than your silly hatred background and it is add nothing to Qatar bid topic.
to be fare, a lot of non-muslims are aware of Ramadan, but they don't know exactly when it is
T74 no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #1888
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

No point trying to understand or join in - just gonna get some popcorn and watch the fireworks.

Last edited by Will737; September 17th, 2010 at 04:53 PM.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #1889
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Wow, i travel from Dusseldorf to Frankfurt, and all of this happens ?! Great job guys, I expected this thread to last till 2nd of December, but it seems it might not last till midnight. oh and the tags for the thread ? seriously ?...

What does Ramadan have to do with Qatar 2022 anyways ? maybe in terms of calender rotation ? since the Islamic calender is actually shorter than the normal calender we use, we just ended Ramadan around 2 weeks ago. I think by 2022 Ramadan would be well behind the time of the World cup, since the days shift backwards.... I know its a mess, but we got used to it. Westerners however do respect the laws of the country since the restaurant timing change, they close well late into the night, during the day though they are closed, but (obviously) the non-Muslim population can/do eat and drink, but privately (at their homes).

NOT RELATED TO TOPIC.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #1890
Kenni
What?

Alright folks, let's stick to the topic, respectfully

Last edited by Kenni; September 18th, 2010 at 01:28 AM.
Kenni no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #1891
qatarson
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
Alright folks, let's stick to the topic, respectfully
thanks again kenni this topic been targeted much
Old September 18th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #1892
qatarson
BANNED

Qatar 2022 chairman Sheikh Mohammed bin-Hamad bin-Khalifa al-Thani says that the revolutionary cooling technologies the country has developed as part of the bid process represents a tangible legacy to global sport.

Speaking in Doha at the end of FIFA’s three day inspection visit, he said that the zero-carbon cooling system unveiled to FIFA shows how the country is “committed to improving the development of football".

“The technology that we unveiled at the showcase is already on its own a legacy,” Sheikh Mohammed told reporters.

“If we were to take that away from the bid it will show us that we are committed to improving the development of football, to ensure that it can be played 365 days a year.

“Any country that faces a challenge in playing football in a warmer climate, we’ll invite them to come here and learn from our experiences.”

Zero carbon plan unveiled
INSIDER experienced the first generation of the cooling technology at the Al-Sadd stadium on Tuesday, when jouirnalists were joined in the crowd by FIFA inspectors for the Al-Sadd v Al-Rayyan match.

Having seen the technology last year – albeit not for an actual match – INSIDER sort of knew what to expect.

But seeing a game played in the cool with external temperatures in the late-30s was slightly surreal. INSIDER's only complaint was that the air-con was pumped up a little too high. But complaining about the cold in Qatar is frankly one that the bid committee won’t often have to face.

Reporters on the Qatar 2022 media tour this week were shown the new cooling technologies on Wednesday and given a detailed explanation on their workings.

“We have no problem cooling stadiums, we have no problem cooling outdoor spaces,” explained bid spokesman Nasser al-Khater.

“What we want to do now is to do so in an environmentally responsible way.”

The passive stadium
Qatar bid officials with FIFA inspectors at Al-Sadd stadium (WFI/J.Corbett)design' combines insulating properties in the stadium construction with a partly retractable roof, which keeps out heat and coolness in.

An adjacent solar farm captures the sun's rays and heats water, which is then converted to ice using standard industrial refrigeration techniques. The entire process takes 48 hours, but the ice it creates provides the basis for the air-conditioning system on match days.

The air-conditioning process is entirely zero-carbon say its inventors, but so too is the stadium.

On non-match days the solar farm channels electricity into Qatar’s national grid. This offsets the stadium’s match-day energy needs for lighting, turnstiles, scoreboards and everything else that goes with a modern stadium.

“It points the way for other countries that could rely on the sun for technology,” said Michael Beaven, director of engineering and sustainability for Arup Associates, who helped develop the technology.

“It’s a system you can roll out across the arid regions,” he said, adding that 30 per cent of the world’s land mass has a similar climate to Qatar’s.

In his wrap-up speech a day later, FIFA inspection chairman Harold Mayne-Nicholls failed to make reference to the cooling technologies, a position that may reflect FIFA’s general reluctance to embrace any sort of technology.

Mayne-Nicholls and his five–man inspection team looked more relaxed than on previous visits - possibly a reflection on the compactness and lack of transit time, which they deem a problem; or possibly their relief that after two months the inspection visits are finally over.

His team flew out Friday morning, after they had shared dinner Thursday evening with the Emir of Qatar– whose youngest son, Sheikh Mohammed, leads the bid.

The previous evening, after wrapping up a long day of presentations, four members of the FIFA delegation joined in a football match at the Aspire Zone – Qatar’s centre for sporting excellence – against bid ambassadors, including Ronald de Boer and Gabriel Batistuta.

Asked who won the match, a Qatar bid source drolly replied “a strategic defeat for the Qatari all-stars".

Last edited by qatarson; September 18th, 2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old September 18th, 2010, 02:28 AM   #1893
pathfinder_2010

Likes (Received): 5

i have noticed that this qatar world cup bid thread has more posts/pages than the australia world cup thread even though there has been a lot of criticism against the Qatar bid
just funny. Dec 2nd 2010, just cannot wait!
pathfinder_2010 no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 02:42 AM   #1894
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder_2010 View Post
i have noticed that this qatar world cup bid thread has more posts/pages than the australia world cup thread even though there has been a lot of criticism against the Qatar bid
That's only because theres no fighting or posting of countless articles about crappy stadium cooling that no-one really cares about in the Australian bid thread.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 02:57 AM   #1895
pathfinder_2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will737 View Post
That's only because theres no fighting or posting of countless articles about crappy stadium cooling that no-one really cares about in the Australian bid thread.
yup.. too much debate
Old September 18th, 2010, 03:45 AM   #1896
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
yup.. too much debate
Either way mate I'll host you in Melbourne for '22 and you'll do likewise for me in Texas for '26-------will be good to catch up again
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 04:50 AM   #1897
pathfinder_2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Either way mate I'll host you in Melbourne for '22 and you'll do likewise for me in Texas for '26-------will be good to catch up again
funny man.
Old September 18th, 2010, 04:56 AM   #1898
Trelawny
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
It's because the aussie's are scared and have to be an noisy annoying neighbor and go snooping into other people's areas.

We need a dog security to chase away the kangaroos.
Trelawny no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:03 AM   #1899
pathfinder_2010

oops. u asking for trouble from the socceroos
Old September 18th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #1900
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
It's because the aussie's are scared and have to be an noisy annoying neighbor and go snooping into other people's areas.

We need a dog security to chase away the kangaroos.
Get one of these
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_Dog
Walbanger no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
qatar 2022