daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 10th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #41
randella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Memphis
Posts: 263
Likes (Received): 39

the arena is now officially under construction! they recently wrapped up the demolition work on the hotel and now they are starting on the foundation work. here is a photo from the arena project site:


Last edited by randella; April 11th, 2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: add photo
randella no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:23 AM   #42
randella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Memphis
Posts: 263
Likes (Received): 39

the arena project web site has a new web cam... it looks like they have it mounted on the 420 building on main street. be sure to click on the time-lapse feature!

http://www.evansvillearenaproject.co...t/arena-webcam

Last edited by randella; April 11th, 2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: update link
randella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #43
randella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Memphis
Posts: 263
Likes (Received): 39

here are some additional interior renderings:







randella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #44
socrates#1fan
Registered User
 
socrates#1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,605
Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I finally had a chance to digest these plans. If I was an Evansville resident, I sure wouldn't be happy with the way this arena is layed out. I mean, it's plopped down right next to MAIN STREET, yet they've got the arena curving back away from the street (the brick one in the above siteplan). Who the hell thought that was a good idea? And if I'm not mistaken, they're planning to tear down a stretch of what looks like very old storefronts and replacing them with......well, nothing. That's where the corner entrance "plaza" is planned. The red outline below:



I'm not saying a new arena isn't a great idea, but I think a LOT more sensitivity to Evansville's Main Street is in order.
When it comes to 'progress', history and heritage become irrelevant.
__________________
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 03:43 AM   #45
randella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Memphis
Posts: 263
Likes (Received): 39

bandwith limit exceeded!

wow. i just pulled up the evansville arena project web site and got a 'bandwith limit exceeded' message! guess a lot of people are tuning into the construction cam? it's shocking how far along they are right now. they are still working on weekends which tells me they want this thing done sooner rather than later.

http://www.evansvillearenaproject.com/

ps: the 'demolition' cam still works: http://www.klenckcompany.com/index_files/Page977.htm
randella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:01 AM   #46
randella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Memphis
Posts: 263
Likes (Received): 39

update: construction cam restored!
randella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #47
randella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Memphis
Posts: 263
Likes (Received): 39

thought i would post a construction update... here is a photo from today's evansville courier press (view of the entrance area from main street). the structural steel continues to go up and the arena should be fully enclosed by the end of the year. the arena is expected to be completed in late 2011.

randella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #48
SpiderMonkey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Missoula, MT via Indy
Posts: 455
Likes (Received): 37

Evansville Arena spurring other developments nearby.

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com...m.asp?id=42197
SpiderMonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:14 AM   #49
randella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Memphis
Posts: 263
Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMonkey View Post
Evansville Arena spurring other developments nearby.

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com...m.asp?id=42197
i figured this would have a positive effect on downtown... just didn't expect to see anything so soon. the old hilliard tower on main street is now going to become apartments and a new sports bar and a new tapas restaurant have already opened in older buildings that were vacant! this is exactly the kind of life the arena was intended to bring back downtown. a bunch of empty old buildings don't mean anything unless people use them.

Last edited by randella; June 20th, 2010 at 01:51 AM. Reason: fix typo
randella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 07:28 AM   #50
bradyusi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 36
Likes (Received): 0

@randella: do you have a link to any information on the old hilliard tower renovations?
bradyusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #51
socrates#1fan
Registered User
 
socrates#1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,605
Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by randella View Post
a bunch of empty old buildings don't mean anything unless people use them.
That is a bizarre statement.
A bunch of old empty buildings mean history, heritage, and POTENTIAL.
__________________
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 08:07 AM   #52
vidgms
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 374
Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
That is a bizarre statement.
A bunch of old empty buildings mean history, heritage, and POTENTIAL.

We are dealing the same issues here in Riverside, except I agree with the statement that empty old buildings only mean something unless people are using them. Better to tear them down and build something that is going to be useful to humanity, history or not.

There is a project here called Fox Plaza that there was a lawsuit because enough of the building wasn't used in the redevelopment but it is just an old building that no one is using. And the "history" that people talk about a building that just because it is old doesn't exactly mean that it is "historical".
__________________
The REWIND
vidgms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #53
randella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Memphis
Posts: 263
Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyusi View Post
@randella: do you have a link to any information on the old hilliard tower renovations?
i don't have the link, but the kunkel group bought the building and they intend to turn it into apartments. they are the same group that converted two old department stores on main street into condos. not sure about their timetable for it, but i hope to see them move forward on it this fall.
randella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #54
randella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Memphis
Posts: 263
Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
That is a bizarre statement.
A bunch of old empty buildings mean history, heritage, and POTENTIAL.
well, i've seen main street in evansville sit with 'potential' for decades. now main street is actually realizing its potential with condo conversions, apartments, bars, and restaurants. i would much rather see all the historic buildings actually being used than continue to sit empty.
randella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #55
socrates#1fan
Registered User
 
socrates#1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,605
Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidgms View Post
We are dealing the same issues here in Riverside, except I agree with the statement that empty old buildings only mean something unless people are using them. Better to tear them down and build something that is going to be useful to humanity, history or not.

There is a project here called Fox Plaza that there was a lawsuit because enough of the building wasn't used in the redevelopment but it is just an old building that no one is using. And the "history" that people talk about a building that just because it is old doesn't exactly mean that it is "historical".
Of course not, but at the same time, many of our old buildings are. Also, in an area where a great deal of historic buildings have been destroyed, it is important to preserve "old" buildings.
__________________
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #56
vidgms
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 374
Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
Of course not, but at the same time, many of our old buildings are. Also, in an area where a great deal of historic buildings have been destroyed, it is important to preserve "old" buildings.
But if they are sitting empty as I am just going to assume that they are (please correct me if i'm wrong, i'm ok with being wrong haha), and more value can be had from building something new, then wouldn't that be the best thing to do. Besides, there is differences between preserving the building where say an international treaty was signed vs. the first autoshop in the area.
__________________
The REWIND
vidgms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #57
socrates#1fan
Registered User
 
socrates#1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,605
Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidgms View Post
But if they are sitting empty as I am just going to assume that they are (please correct me if i'm wrong, i'm ok with being wrong haha), and more value can be had from building something new, then wouldn't that be the best thing to do. Besides, there is differences between preserving the building where say an international treaty was signed vs. the first autoshop in the area.
A building sitting empty isn't always a sign for need of replacement. Many of the grand historic neighborhoods across our country were once in far worse condition but people saw beyond empty structures.
But this isn't an auto shop, these are 19th and early 20th century commercial structures in typical American styles of that time, some very intact with most (if not all) of their original details and ornamentation. Historical importance is relative, so no, these structures are not as significant as say the Parthenon, but locally they are. Also, often with historic preservation it isnít about preserving one single structure where such and such happened as much as it is preserving an urban fabric, neighborhoods, etc in their historical atmosphere and traditional styles.
__________________
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 02:35 AM   #58
randella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Memphis
Posts: 263
Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
A building sitting empty isn't always a sign for need of replacement. Many of the grand historic neighborhoods across our country were once in far worse condition but people saw beyond empty structures.
But this isn't an auto shop, these are 19th and early 20th century commercial structures in typical American styles of that time, some very intact with most (if not all) of their original details and ornamentation. Historical importance is relative, so no, these structures are not as significant as say the Parthenon, but locally they are. Also, often with historic preservation it isnít about preserving one single structure where such and such happened as much as it is preserving an urban fabric, neighborhoods, etc in their historical atmosphere and traditional styles.
i think most people agree that it is a good idea to preserve historic buildings... especially if they are architecturally significant. but main street in evansville has struggled since the first mall was built in the early 1960s. since then, main street has endured a half century of vacancies and decay. how long should the buildings sit empty until something is done? how long until the buildings are condemned or cave in?

there are a total of seven city blocks of historic buildings on main street. with the arena, we lost half a block of buildings that were either empty or being used for storage (see the photo below). but what does the city get in return? the rest of main street has now been given a second lease on life, including a historic 12-story tower that will now be apartments instead of dead office space. i hear what you are saying about maintaining historic fabric, but there is a little give and take. cities are always evolving and growing.

would you prefer to see all of main street die, or find a way to bring it back to life? focus on the positive that is coming from this development. new lofts and condos, restaurants, and bars are now filling the rest of main street. what else do you think would save seven blocks of historic low-rise buildings? decades of hopes and prayers? evansville has done a bold move here and it will save the downtown and all the remaining historic buildings.

randella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 04:36 AM   #59
socrates#1fan
Registered User
 
socrates#1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,605
Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by randella View Post
i think most people agree that it is a good idea to preserve historic buildings... especially if they are architecturally significant. but main street in evansville has struggled since the first mall was built in the early 1960s. since then, main street has endured a half century of vacancies and decay. how long should the buildings sit empty until something is done? how long until the buildings are condemned or cave in?

there are a total of seven city blocks of historic buildings on main street. with the arena, we lost half a block of buildings that were either empty or being used for storage (see the photo below). but what does the city get in return? the rest of main street has now been given a second lease on life, including a historic 12-story tower that will now be apartments instead of dead office space. i hear what you are saying about maintaining historic fabric, but there is a little give and take. cities are always evolving and growing.

would you prefer to see all of main street die, or find a way to bring it back to life? focus on the positive that is coming from this development. new lofts and condos, restaurants, and bars are now filling the rest of main street. what else do you think would save seven blocks of historic low-rise buildings? decades of hopes and prayers? evansville has done a bold move here and it will save the downtown and all the remaining historic buildings.

I am not opposed to progress, but they could have found a way to incorporate these structures. Besides, a city shouldn't give away its history like a street walker at the first sign of hope. Having old buildings doesn't mean a lack of development, you can reuse, restore, etc these structures and give them a new life. Besides, hasn't Evansville already lost plenty historic buildings? Just a few here and there wouldn't hurt, now would it?
__________________
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 07:04 AM   #60
randella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Memphis
Posts: 263
Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
I am not opposed to progress, but they could have found a way to incorporate these structures. Besides, a city shouldn't give away its history like a street walker at the first sign of hope. Having old buildings doesn't mean a lack of development, you can reuse, restore, etc these structures and give them a new life. Besides, hasn't Evansville already lost plenty historic buildings? Just a few here and there wouldn't hurt, now would it?
you obviously live in a fantasy world... completely out of touch with reality! how many years should a city wait for your dream date? do tell me how many more years you think the city of evansville should sit waiting for your fantasy? tell me please your plan?

focus on the positive that is coming from this development... new lofts and condos, restaurants, and bars are now filling the rest of main street. or are you completely blind? you have to be an idiot if you don't see the good that is coming from this development.
randella no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu