daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #81
randella

Likes (Received): 39

some recent construction photos i found on flickr (all photos by mpfender):

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
randella no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #82
randella

construction update... from the webcam you can see the roof support beams are being added. also, the photos below from the courier shows the aluminum side panels are now being added. appears to be a lot more color variation in the facade than what the renderings originally showed.

arena webcam:
http://www.evansvillearenaproject.co...cam-and-photos

Last edited by randella; September 9th, 2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:36 PM   #83
randella

fox news is reporting that three minor league hockey leagues submitted proposals for the new arena: the central hockey league, the united states hockey league, and the east coast hockey league. a decision on which league will occupy the new arena is expected next month.

http://tristatehomepage.com/fulltext?nxd_id=199355

Last edited by randella; October 1st, 2010 at 03:40 AM. Reason: correction
Old September 30th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #84
randella

the courier posted an article today about the hockey proposols. no new information outside the three leagues mentioned earlier, but they did post this picture of the arena under construction. i'm assuming the blue color is from the roof insulation and protective covering over the side aluminum?

ps: the proposals for the new hotel are due tomorrow.

Old October 2nd, 2010, 02:26 AM   #85
randella

the initial convention hotel proposals are in and four developers are interested in building a new hotel that will connect to the arena and the convention center. the developers consist of browning investments, kunkel group, white lodging, and woodruff hospitality. these initial proposals will be narrowed down and the developers will then be asked to complete a more detailed proposal.

evansville courier press article:
http://www.courierpress.com/news/201...ents_id=813363
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #86
randella

new aerial photos from the arena web site. below is a link to the photos page which has all of the official construction photos:

http://www.evansvillearenaproject.com/content/photos

Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:17 AM   #87
randella

some early video of the construction from the inside... looking good.

http://www.news25.us/global/story.asp?s=13368530
Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:42 AM   #88
randella

more photos from the arena construction tour... these are from the courier and press:

Old November 16th, 2010, 04:22 AM   #89
randella

topped out! the roof is now in its final stage. when this awful 'recession' is over, it will be nice to see this puppy come to life and breathe new life into the downtown.

http://tristatehomepage.com/fulltext?nxd_id=217536
Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:44 PM   #90
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

I really like this arena. Great location, good connectivity with its urban surroundings, and the architecture adds a nice modern addition to downtown evansville. Hopefully the hotel will get underway soon.
ragerunner1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:09 PM   #91
randella

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragerunner1 View Post
I really like this arena. Great location, good connectivity with its urban surroundings, and the architecture adds a nice modern addition to downtown evansville. Hopefully the hotel will get underway soon.
this location has grown on me quite a bit. i like how it connects the convention center to main street. the hotel proposals are talking about a hyatt place or courtyard by marriott, so i'm not expecting much. but the city should be announcing something soon.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:12 PM   #92
randella

here is another photo i found on flickr (this one by deemer):

image hosted on flickr
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:32 PM   #93
randella

the mayor's office announced the new hotel this morning... it's going to be a hyatt place and it will be built on the site of the old executive inn garage. both the old inn and the garage will be demolished. the hotel will be six stories with 220 rooms and an underground parking garage. the design will be pretty consistent with the new hyatt place designs you see around the country (see the link below to one in san antonio for an idea).

http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/images/ho...gallery_31.jpg
Old December 22nd, 2010, 11:28 PM   #94
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by randella View Post
the mayor's office announced the new hotel this morning... it's going to be a hyatt place and it will be built on the site of the old executive inn garage. both the old inn and the garage will be demolished. the hotel will be six stories with 220 rooms and an underground parking garage. the design will be pretty consistent with the new hyatt place designs you see around the country (see the link below to one in san antonio for an idea).

http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/images/ho...gallery_31.jpg
Clearly not the most stunning piece of architecture, but that design might fit with the arena. The real issue is going to be the layout of the hotel. It needs built the street corner and not have a suburban parking lot in front of it.
ragerunner1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 04:20 AM   #95
randella

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragerunner1 View Post
Clearly not the most stunning piece of architecture, but that design might fit with the arena. The real issue is going to be the layout of the hotel. It needs built the street corner and not have a suburban parking lot in front of it.
i don't know if it fits with the new arena architecturally, but it's definitely better than a courtyard by marriott! i've seen the one in san antonio and these hotels are quite nice. i'm reading that the one in evansville will front martin luther king and walnut street. apparently, this hotel will be larger than most hyatt place hotels and will have two wings. it will have some surface parking on the backside as well as additional parking in an underground garage. i do think this was the best proposal of the bunch and that it will be a huge improvement over the old executive inn.
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #96
randella

the finalists for the arena plaza art were announced tuesday. the front runner appears to be 'vibrant river' by california artist roger stoller. it would actually wrap around the corner tower of the building rather than be in the plaza. the three finalists are definitely interesting and i want to let them stew around in my head before i pick a personal favorite, but i thought i would post them up so everyone can take a peek.

full article (with poll):
http://www.courierpress.com/news/201...ed-for-arenas/

'vibrant river' by roger stoller:

'standing light sphere' by philip vaughan:

'triumphal arch' by david prete:
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:24 PM   #97
randella

here is an article and some photos from the courier today about the arena progress. the arena should be completely enclosed by march with a november opening date.

courier press article:
http://www.courierpress.com/news/201...re-the-crowds/

Old February 9th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #98
Toxic Toast
Go get 'em Detroit Tigers

Likes (Received): 0

I was in Evansville over Christmas, very impressed at the progress. I am even more encouraged that SMG is not going to be managing the arena.
Toxic Toast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #99
randella

more construction photos from the arena site (www.evansvillearenaproject.com)...

Last edited by randella; March 14th, 2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: add new photo
Old April 18th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #100
randella

a recent aerial photo of the arena (from the courier press). the old executive inn garage and hotel in the foreground will be torn down starting monday. some verizon cell towers on top delayed demolition until verizon relocated them. i've always hated that old executive inn garage... it's ugly and was too big for a city this size. the site of the old garage will be the new hyatt place hotel which will have an underground parking garage.