daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Tyron

Likes (Received): 230

FRA | Frankfurt International Airport

A German court has given the green light for the construction of a fourth runway and a third terminal at Frankfurt Airport. The runway was given approval in 2007 but the start of construction had been delayed by law suits from environmental groups and residents of local towns affected by the proposed runway. Hesse Administrative High Court has dismissed the actions but has proposed restrictions on night flights.

Frankfurt Airport plays a key role in international air transportation. One of the most important air transportation hubs in Europe, FRA is at the center of the major part of intra-European air service networks and offers connecting services to long-haul destinations in the Americas, Asia, Africa and Australia. FRA is also the home base of Deutsche Lufthansa, one of the world's most successful airlines.

Fraport's CEO Bender pointed out that FRA is not only one of the biggest construction sites but also one of the most significant investment locations in Europe. Fraport alone is investing more than €4 billion in the expansion of Frankfurt Airport.

Rendering
[IMG]http://i40.************/2ufzkfl.jpg[/IMG]

General project

Source: Fraport AG

With this runway option, the airport will achieve the envisaged capacity goal of 120 movements per hour. Some 217 hectares of land will be needed for the Northwest runway, including the connecting taxiways to the apron. Woodland consumption will amount to 162 hectares of protective forest.

New Terminal 3

In addition to the new runway, further passenger and baggage facilities as well as new aircraft maintenance facilities will be required in the future. Plans call for construction of a new passenger terminal in the south of the airport to raise the airport's current 56 million passenger capacity per year by at least 25 million. The project will include construction of 75 aircraft stands and docking positions and associated taxiways. Already examined in the regional planning procedure, the Terminal 3 project will also be part of the zoning application.

Macro location

Micro location

Frankfurt Airport City

Frankfurt Airport is much more than an airport: it is an entire city, which is covering an area of 20 million square meters. It offers total mobility, because it is networked with air, rail and road links.

First part of the Airport City - the 660 meters long Airrail Center - is under construction already

Source: Hochhausforum

It's located between the A3 motorway and the B 43 highway. It is being built on the platform over the long-distance ICE train station at Frankfurt Airport. Building statistics: (Length: 660 m, Width: 65 m, Levels: 9, Occupancy:Some 53 percent of the entire project was already rented before construction started (KPMG, Hilton, Metropolitan Medical Center), completion scheduled for 2009-2010.

And this is how it's gonna look like after completion in 2009/2010:

image hosted on flickr

Second Part: Gateway Gardens

The area Gateway Gardens covers around 350.000 m˛ of gross developable land to the north-east of Frankfurt Airport and is situated directly at Frankfurter Kreuz. The area borders on the B43 in the north, on the A5 in the east, on the Ellis Road and on the A 3 in the south and on the Kapitän-Lehmann-Straße in the west.

Departure of the US armed forces in the end of 2005 and subsequent return of the area to the City of Frankfurt on the Main create an opportunity to develop the area in a new way appropriate in view of its location and quality. In the course of the current local development plan procedure preconditions for the planning right are momentarily being created. Construction work has already begun and the whole project should be completed in 2016.

Source: Deutsches Architektur Forum

Source: Hochhausforum

image hosted on flickr

Extension of Pier A

Until the year 2012, a new and modern pier will be built as a part of the FRA-North project. Located just after security and passport controls, a new marketplace will emerge in the root of the new pier.

Other projects

Expansion of Hall C

With the expansion and modernization of departure hall C, the third landside market place is being generated in terminal 1. The design reflects the extraordinary exterior created by Christoph Meckler on the inside. As a gate to the new to be built C-D pier with it's gate positions for the new A 380. the new hall C will reach central importance for passenger processes and thereby also for retailing.

Redesign of Level Zero

For most passengers and airport employees, level 0 is the gate to frankfurt airport. From the parking facilities and from the train station, it gives you access to the departure halls of the terminal 1. Although located underneath the airport, the lighting system will create a daylight atmosphere. Light gates will give the marketplace structure and will set optical accents. Open: year 2011

Modernization of Arrivals Hall B

The arrival areas A, B and C of terminal 1 will be modernised and adapted to the needs of their audience. Passengers, as well as meeters & greeters are the target group of this area.
Opening arrival A: 4th quarter 2009
Opening arrival B: already open
Opening arrival C: already open

mb92, geometarkv, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Tyron; February 6th, 2009 at 01:40 PM.
Tyron no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:55 AM   #2
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

such a great development for FRAport!
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:07 AM   #3
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

thank you for this post

I went through arrival hall C last year, everything was brand new and spotless, I loved it.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:42 AM   #4
DZG

Likes (Received): 1009

The project is very interesting, especially the hilton ..
DZG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:46 AM   #5
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2771

I'm a bit torn, I think the additions look awsome including the Hilton but I don't know if I like the idea of the brilliant ICE station to be effictivcely hidden as it itself is a very fine structure in its own right. Was there always a long term plan to attach a hotel to the ICE station like that?

Last edited by nomarandlee; May 8th, 2009 at 09:57 PM.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:24 PM   #6
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

Yes, and they are behind schedule as far as I know.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:22 AM   #7
benchjade
SAYONARA, SSC!

Likes (Received): 0

love the hilton inn..looks like a monorail car from a distant.
benchjade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:57 AM   #8
Whiteeclipse

Likes (Received): 375

Nice, Frankfurt is my stop between Moscow, RU and Florida, USA for me.

It's China's world, we just live in it.
Whiteeclipse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:06 AM   #9
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 916

@ nomarandlee

the additional 9 storeys were always planned there. the station was constructed to be able to carry the additional floors.

the airrail center will not only have one hotel, but two (hilton airport + hilton garden inn), a medical center, the KPMG european headquarter and shops.

concerning the other expansion projects at the airport:
  1. preparation works for the fourth runway started in january. construction of the bridge structures covering the expressay and connecting the runway with the rest of the airport is imminent.
  2. the construction of the new pier A0 is well under way.
  3. construction of a new 70m tall airport tower has started.
  4. several projects started in the gateway gardens development - first one is the new park inn hotel.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:54 AM   #10
isnap_shots
Newbieee

Likes (Received): 0

Nice photos.vancouver airport is nothing compare it with above pic's
isnap_shots no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:00 PM   #11
Tyron

hd, thanks for the additional informations!

Last edited by Tyron; February 6th, 2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #12
Tyron

Construction of the New A-West Pier (also known as Pier A0)

The preparations for the new pier are now ongoing. When it begins operating in 2012 the new A-West terminal section will, together with Piers C/D and B, constitute the main focus of Lufthansa's future A380 handling activities at Terminal 1.

The Hamburg-based architectural firm gmp (Gerkan, Marg and Partners) has been contracted as the general planner for this construction project.

Overview

Bird’s eye view

View from the marketplace

More coming soon... .

mb92 liked this post

Last edited by Tyron; February 7th, 2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old February 6th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #13
Micrav
Live!

Likes (Received): 16

Wow, it is so big that it will take me 3 hours to park my car, walk, ask my way, walk, wait, walk, and finally find my gate to see that my plane already left. I had the problem once in Madrid. Too big is getting unconfortable. Only worth for big intercontinental flights (what is Frankfurt actually). Any idea how easy it will be from car or train to gates (including registration, luggage deposit). Thanks to Germans who know...
Micrav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #14
hmueller2

Likes (Received): 177

and some more from the fraport site:

looks very sober, i hope they'll make it a bit more cosier

source: fraport

some pics from the construction site:

mb92 liked this post
hmueller2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #15
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2753

Great news for Fraport!
GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #16
Tyron

Site clearing for the new runway has started

Fraport has started the extension of the airport to build the new runway in the north-side of Frankfurt Airport, cutting down 162 hectares of wood in the forest of Kelsterbach.

But under the forestry law of the state of Hesse, the trees cut down to make way for the airport expansion must be compensated in the form of substitute reforestation. In conjunction with the new runway, Fraport has to reforest a total of 310 hectares of land at several locations in the state of Hesse, Germany.

mb92, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Tyron; February 10th, 2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #17
Tyron

Airrail Center construction according to plan

According to an press release from IVG Immobilien AG, construction is proceeding according to plan. Completion is even scheduled for the end of this year.

mb92, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Tyron; February 11th, 2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old February 12th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #18
Bembelkönig
praise Rael !

Likes (Received): 51

great to see that there are so many different constructions (runway, terminal etc) in progress on one site.

Last edited by Bembelkönig; February 13th, 2009 at 09:24 PM.
Bembelkönig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #19
ImBoredNow
I have no life : (

Likes (Received): 192

Frankfurt is one gigantic airport.
But I didn't know it was this gigantic!!
ImBoredNow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #20
Micrav
Live!

Likes (Received): 16

Therefore my question, will this airport still be human? And not a big non-personal machine?
Micrav no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport, european hub airport, frankfurt, frankfurt airport