daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #321
mariol

Likes (Received): 37

Does anybody know why and when FRA was chosen as the lead airport in Germany instead of DUS or MUC, for example?
Was there any call for bids?

Thanks
mariol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #322
aab7772003

Likes (Received): 7

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5069699/

DUS was the first intercont station for LH before incompetent politicians in NRW intervened and made DUS a "prop airport" and CGN a "jet airport". These guys had no idea about marketing, no idea of how the business would develop, they had no idea that DUS was and is the core of one of the biggest catchment areas in the world as Joost rightfully says. DUS is right smack on the top third of the blue banana which extends from the Randstad to Milan. Interesting is that the Bureau Bongers, which planned LH before it became operational in 1955, realised that already then. LH was driven to FRA as they could not grow in DUS , the rest is history.

mb92 liked this post
aab7772003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #323
mariol

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7772003 View Post
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5069699/

DUS was the first intercont station for LH before incompetent politicians in NRW intervened and made DUS a "prop airport" and CGN a "jet airport". These guys had no idea about marketing, no idea of how the business would develop, they had no idea that DUS was and is the core of one of the biggest catchment areas in the world as Joost rightfully says. DUS is right smack on the top third of the blue banana which extends from the Randstad to Milan. Interesting is that the Bureau Bongers, which planned LH before it became operational in 1955, realised that already then. LH was driven to FRA as they could not grow in DUS , the rest is history.
Thank you for the explanation.
I know DUS has a much greater catchment area than FRA.
I thought DUS was too close to AMS to be chosen, and it was preferred to avoid a direct competition. Moreover FRA was about to become Capital of West Germany instead of Bonn. O.T. off
mariol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 08:47 PM   #324
Sean Yves

Likes (Received): 22

^ According to my information, FRA has the largest catchment area of al hubs in Europe with 38 million people within a 200 km radius, followed by AMS and LHR with 33 mil. and CDG with 22.

Btw: FRA welcomed about 11.8 million passengers in the first quarter of 2011 – up 3.7 percent year-on-year and handled more than 540,000 metric tons of airfreight from January to March 2011 – a 3.5 percent jump compared to the first quarter of 2010. Aircraft movements climbed by 5.2 percent to more than 114,000 takeoffs and landings.
Sean Yves no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #325
Tyron

Likes (Received): 230

Runway construction to be completed by may

The new northwest runway is nearing completion, which is scheduled on May 31, 2011. An image shows the progress of the construction:

Source: Fraport AG (annual press conference 2010)

The latest annual report of Fraport offers a bunch of information about the new runway of FRA and it's expansion in general. It also provides an image with illustrates an overview of the most important expansion projects.

Preview:

Source: Fraport AG (annual report 2010)

mb92 liked this post

Last edited by Tyron; April 25th, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
Tyron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #326
Go Ahead Eagles

Likes (Received): 1172

I will be in FRA in May. Can somebody tell me where is the best place for spotting besides the panorama terrace at terminal 2?
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #327
Tyron

Hi Go Ahead Eagles, the terrace at terminal 2 is the only one which is open for visitors right now. Unfortunately the terrace of terminal 1 ist still closed due to construction work.

But there's a platform called "Besucherplattform A5". It's located near the autobahn A5 in the eastern part of the airport. Here's a map which shows the location of the platform and some other popular spotter points:

http://www.fraspotters.de/spotterspecial/index.html

You can also find tons of spotting pictures there.

mb92 liked this post

Last edited by Tyron; April 25th, 2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old April 26th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #328
Go Ahead Eagles

Likes (Received): 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyron View Post
Hi Go Ahead Eagles, the terrace at terminal 2 is the only one which is open for visitors right now. Unfortunately the terrace of terminal 1 ist still closed due to construction work.

But there's a platform called "Besucherplattform A5". It's located near the autobahn A5 in the eastern part of the airport. Here's a map which shows the location of the platform and some other popular spotter points:

http://www.fraspotters.de/spotterspecial/index.html

You can also find tons of spotting pictures there.
Hi Tyron, thank you so much for the information. For sure i'll go check this place out when i'm there.
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:36 AM   #329
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 14302

Woooow this new terminal is absolutely amazing!!

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 04:31 AM   #330
EriFly

Likes (Received): 120

Just a quick question.

What airlines do you think would be using the new terminal?
EriFly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #331
Matze20111984

Likes (Received): 160

The new terminal A-Plus is built for Lufthansa especially for their A380 Fleet. But I think its possible, that Star-Alliance partners will be able to use it as well!

It will host 4 A380 positions and 3 heavy positions.
Matze20111984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #332
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18176

Does that mean less boarding from the tarmac as smaller planes can now move to the terminal?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #333
Matze20111984

I think the terminal is mainly built for the longhaul operation. The shorthaul operation is also possible in the new terminal as it has a schengen-Area. But normaly it will be used for non-schengen longhaul operation. I think the schengen-gate area will mainly be used for busgates to board on the tarmac. Because of the ongoing construction of the terminal 1b and 1c, there won't be much more temrinal positions until the construction will be finished!
Old April 30th, 2011, 12:36 AM   #334
Tyron

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriFly View Post
Just a quick question.

What airlines do you think would be using the new terminal?
EriFly, which structure do you mean - Terminal 3 or A-Plus?

@ Matze20111984: In terms of A-Plus you're right but it's just a new concourse of Terminal 1. Do you have any information about Terminal 3?
Old May 1st, 2011, 01:16 PM   #335
Matze20111984

No, I'm just talking about Terminal 1 A-Plus!
Old May 3rd, 2011, 05:44 PM   #336
rodincouch
Davaoeño

Likes (Received): 20

Humongous Project! Nice one!
rodincouch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #337
UrbanMyth

Likes (Received): 193

What do you think will happen to air traffic in Germany once the new airport opens in Berlin? Any chance that Berlin will be the biggest airport in Germany in 20 years? Seems like Germany could have 3 super-airports (30 million + passengers/year) in 20 years...FRA, MUC, BER? Thoughts?
UrbanMyth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #338
Matze20111984

No way, Berlin will never become the biggest airport in germany! It will become the third biggest and will stay the the third biggest. Frankfurt and Munich will stay bigger because Lufthansa has their main bases in these two cities. Berlin may develop als a big Air berlin hub and maybe a small Lufthansa hub. But I don't think that Lufthansa will be as active as they are in Frankfurt or Munich. For Lufthansa Dusseldorf is the third hub with currently 3 northamerica routes. I don't think that Lufthansa will launch intercontinental routes from berlin within the next 5-10 Years. It could be possible that Star Alliance Partners like United/Continental or Air Canada will launch new routes and Lufthansa will feed those flights with their european network. Lufthansa does not have enough equipment to launch a fourth intercontinental hub in Berlin. In Frankfurt the forth runway will be opened this year, so Lufthansa will increase their intercontinental flights in Frankfurt first. In Munich a new Satellite Terminal will be build, so there Lufthansa will also increase their traffic. For Dusseldorf Lufthansa plans to increase the Pax numbers by 25%, there are also speculations that Lufthansa might launch 2 asia routes in Dusseldorf, so therefor they need equipment. Yesterday Lufthansa announced that Berlin will be an important airport for them, so I think they will increase there traffic when the new airport opens. Maybe they will build a small european hub, especially for traffic to eastern europe.

Air Berlin will become a OneWorld member and will also increase their activities when the new airport opens.

So overall I expect that the new airport will have more than 30 Million PAX within the next 5-10 years. So we will have 3 airports with at least 30 Million PAX. Frankfurt and Munich will also increase their PAX numbers.
Old May 4th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #339
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 918

I agree. BER will never be number 1, but it will easily be number 3. the 30 million mark could be reached in BER in a few years time, if it continues to grow like in the past few years. but by the time BER has 30 million I guess MUC will have 40+ million. FRA is supposed to have 65 million in 2015. I doubt, BER will ever reach that level. airports can't just grow endlessly. there are so many factors, which influence air traffic growth. FRA won't grow endlessly either.
Old May 4th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #340
Matze20111984

I totally agree, airports never grow endlessly! Normally the german airports can't grow as much as the demand is there. The growth in germany is decreased because of the infrastructure. The best examples are FRA,MUC,DUS,TXL all these airports are operating on their maximum capacity, especially the maximum capacity of slots in high traffic waves. German airports normally have more terminal capacity than runway slots.

Here are some of my expectations:

In FRA the capacity of terminal 1 is almost reached, with the new terminal 1 A-Plus there will be 6 more million PAX capacity for terminal 1. For the Star Alliance there should be enough capacity for the next 5-6 years. In terminal 2 the capacity isn't reached yet, so there is some free capacity too.

In MUC the terminal 2 is operating at its maximum capacity, so there will be build a new satellite which is highly needed for the Star Alliance partners and for operating less bus gates! The biggest problem in MUC is the capacity of runway slots in high traffic times. The maximum capacity is already reached there, so the planned 3rd runway is needed as soon as possible but still not decided weather it will be build because of protesting people!

In DUS the airport is extremely filled, especially the terminal A which is used by Lufthansa and its partners. In DUS there isn't really a possibility to expand the airport, so the growth has to be done by increasing the airplanes CRJX->B737/A320. Currently there are some smaller constructions done in the terminal A, there will be build a new floor which will increase the space of the waiting area and may increase the number of bus gates!

Tags
airport, european hub airport, frankfurt, frankfurt airport