daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #21
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
I will soon start a petition to get it extended though.
Done:

Petition
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #22
SMCD

Likes (Received): 12

Some new drawings posted over at the Oslo section by Galro;

SMCD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #23
SMCD

Likes (Received): 12

Another one. Featured in a proposal from Sn°hetta for an upgrade of Oslo Central Station.
SMCD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 03:11 PM   #24
Galro

I just realized that we have forgotten to update this tread with the new renders of the altered design. If anyone wonders about the current progress of the project then I can say that it is currently stuck in the Norwegian bureaucracy where it have been a couple of years now and probably will continue to be for a long time still.

Old December 31st, 2013, 03:54 PM   #25
ELH

Likes (Received): 581

Yes, to make concrete, the nearby main bus terminal of the City needs more space and originally wanted the same property.
Now, it appears that the whole bus terminal will be build anew on top of the Train tracks of the central Station. If this gets confirmed, Crystal clear will also be able to go ahead.

However, as we who know Oslo know, this will probably be decided through some embarassing Party-political battle say, ten years from now.
I also heard, although not being sure if it is right, that the City council has decided to politicize Roof heights down to the Detail Level, so that all potential "highrises" of the future can be Maximum as high as the existing so called "Oslo Plaza".

If this is true, it is very disappointing in a double sense (for the Skyline and regarding the political state mind among democratically elected City authorities). Do you know if this is true, Galro?
ELH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 05:35 PM   #26
Galro

I don't think there is an official policy of it as such but it is true that Plaza is generally seen as the maximum limit for the height of future highrises, among politicians, the public and heritage agencies alike. It's worth nothing though that there is currently a proposal to extend Plazas height too, which is stuck in the bureaucracy just like this one, but I'm rather skeptical to whether it will ever be approved or not.

However as you mention, both proposals will likely results in:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELH View Post
However, as we who know Oslo know, this will probably be decided through some embarassing Party-political battle say, ten years from now.
... Which makes planning in the city rather unpredictable and it is hard to guarantee that something will or won't happen.
Old January 1st, 2014, 06:31 PM   #27
ELH

I think it is a shame, because there is no danger that highrises would sprawl throughout the City anytime soon. Instead, what one could have optimistically hoped for was a few Quality Project to complete the once begun Cluster (till yet two Towers of ca. 120 meters since over 20 years).

Crystal clear would be one such Project. There is also space at the current bus terminal (if it moves) and at a very few other, nearby properties.

If, in such a Cluster of 3 to maximm ca. 7 towers, just one would have a height of 150 meters rather than 120, I think the "Skyline" of Oslo could more than tolerate it.

The following render was made by architectural students imagining what could be done exactly to the property of the current bus terminal (Crystal clear, by the way, is also in the render as the closest of the White coloured Towers):

Oslos Problem is that it doesn┤t realize it has to move constantly to be relevant, because the Standards also constantly change. It thinks that with the current waterfront development and a few new, cultural Institutions it has upgraded itself permanently relative to european Standards.

SMCD liked this post

Last edited by ELH; January 1st, 2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old January 1st, 2014, 09:56 PM   #28
ELH

...........and here is a Rendering of a new main bus Station, as extending straight across the tracks of the central Station.

As above mentioned, that some Version of this proposal goes through is probably a condition for the eventual realization of the Crystal clear Project. Let┤s cross our fingers for the rapid beaurocratic processing of These proposals. One should always be ready for surprises.

beaniepotato liked this post
Old January 3rd, 2014, 05:37 PM   #29
ELH

I know it doesn┤t directly concern the "Crystal Clear" project, but I hope limit of tolerance here includes related Topics for which no better thread exists, at least as long as such discussions remain punctual.

I mentioned above, that there are only a very few further properties (beyond that of the bus-Station) that are fit if one wishes to create a dense Oslo Cluster. This property has been in my mind for years:

It is the only one-storey-building in central Oslo, looks cheap and should therefore be relatively easy to cash out for some (hopefully much) better concept.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 05:49 PM   #30
Galro

There was a proposal for that plot in the '80s, but nothing come out of it for some reason.

The owner, Olav Thon, have recently signaled that he wants to develop the property but I don't know if this project will include a highrise. I wouldn't have my hopes high for it ever getting approval anyway.

There is also a project next door to build a massive highrise-ish box:

... Which going through the bureaucratic mill at this very moment.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:16 PM   #31
ELH

Very interesting proposal from the 80s, I didn┤t know about it at all.

Unless something turns out positive with Crystal Clear and the bus-property, one could almost be tempted to conclude that Oslo is a City hell bend on curbing its own potentials.

However, I insist to resist the temptation and remain a cautious optimist.
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #32
ELH

Step by small step, one of Europe┤s slowest construction approval processes goes forward, but there are more Hindernisses ahead.

Major political bodies and professional authorities have now agreed to Support the alternative of laying the city┤s main bus Station above the tracks of the central Train Station.

As previously mentioned, this solution is necessary in order to once and for all "free up" the property where the CrystalClear Tower is planned to get build.

Source: http://www.osloby.no/nyheter/Enige-o...l#.UxC7rDOYaAY

Possible Problems ahead is still that the Train traffic may have to pause for two full years during the construction of the bus-Station. They will now explore the practicality of this.

The second Problem is that the ground at the site could be too "soft", as it consists of sandy reclaimed bay floor. This Problem is specific to the Situation that the Train tracks should remain as unaffected as possible.

Thus, all in all, it will probably still be a couple of years until the CrystalClear Tower gets the final green light.

Last edited by ELH; February 27th, 2014 at 06:41 PM.

Tags
norway, oslo