daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Old February 13th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #21
Dark Matter
I'm Everywhere

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deng View Post
Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely a fan of more innovative design. That being said however, I feel that anything radical stands no chance of ever getting built. So, because of its feasibility, mediocre looks and the fact that it's a skyscraper in Boston, I support the plan.
I never said it had to be radical. Again, just something that leaves an impression but also fits the skyline and area.

And I actually think they would pull a Hong Kong if they had enough money and wanted to get rid of homes... Unless they do what I want. Make an artificial island/ or extension of the land (like 3 miles out) and make a straight highway going into the city.

I did actually make a map of a new possible airport and it wouldn't interfere with the harbor actually.

Yes, I hate Logan that much. lol

Don't steal my jokes,... Unless you are trying to be funny.

My Youtube Account
~Moderator of the NaturalMotion Forum~
Dark Matter
Dark Matter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 13th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #22
kingsc

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
I'm a Red Sox fan coincidentally lol. But though passionate I would never get violent. Also it has no bearing on my opinion of New York itself. I've been to New York and I enjoyed my time there.

Anyway it doesn't seem like Boston for the moment is the next big city on the east. It might be Miami or Philadelphia...

Anyway to stay on topic, who can estimate the height (in feet and meters) from the picture?
Phillys already the second biggest city on the east coast and the 6th largest in the country. And miami's cool foe celebs not my style thou.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/group.php?groupid=288
You could be a memeber

Last edited by kingsc; February 13th, 2009 at 06:15 AM.
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #23
Dark Matter
I'm Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Phils already the second biggest city on the east coast and the 6th largest in the country. And miami's cool foe celebs not my style thou.
I know that. It's just the Phillie's Skyline isn't great. Well, for now atleast.

My Youtube Account
Dark Matter
Old February 13th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #24
kingsc

phillys don't something in the works. There looking to have the third tallest building in the country.

You could be a memeber
Old February 13th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #25
Dark Matter
I'm Everywhere

So? Again I know this.

Overall they won't have a skyline even close to Miami. Though I certainly don't doubt it's future though.

My Youtube Account
Dark Matter
Old February 13th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #26
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 6

Well at least Boston is proposing a lot of tall towers recently. The Aquarium Tower and the Gov't Center Garage Tower are both in the 700s and their shorter towers are both in the 500s. There's also the SST at 600s and the Copley Tower at 569'. Other proposal include the probably dead 1000' tower, the 415' tower at North station, 495' at Filene's, 425' at CC. If all are built, then Boston will have an amazing skyline. However, the NIMBYs are trying to pass this anti-shadow law that bans any building from casting shadows at parks. The NIMBYs in Boston are just ridiculous.

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011
DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #27
Dark Matter
I'm Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFenX View Post
Well at least Boston is proposing a lot of tall towers recently. The Aquarium Tower and the Gov't Center Garage Tower are both in the 700s and their shorter towers are both in the 500s. There's also the SST at 600s and the Copley Tower at 569'. Other proposal include the probably dead 1000' tower, the 415' tower at North station, 495' at Filene's, 425' at CC. If all are built, then Boston will have an amazing skyline. However, the NIMBYs are trying to pass this anti-shadow law that bans any building from casting shadows at parks. The NIMBYs in Boston are just ridiculous.
Yeah I heard about that. Well, thankfully some people with power in Boston who do want it to change are around.

My Youtube Account
Dark Matter
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #28
Synbios

Likes (Received): 0

According to this site the proposed height is about 250 meters, so if built, the tallest tower in the complex would be the tallest in the city.

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?cityID=145&type=all

I do like the design of these new towers, but I'll be very impressed if I actually see them built. If they're too tall the FAA might get involved again, just like how they helped contribute to the "unofficial" cancellation of Trans National. So we might see these built, but scaled down.
Synbios no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #29
kingsc

I think you guys should do whats best for your city, who am I to say otherwise.

You could be a memeber
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #30
Cojapo

Likes (Received): 14

I wasn't that impressed with the Transnational proposal. It was tall, but that was about it. And seeing the design along the skyline, I think Boston needs a few 800' to 900' towers before it jumps into something that tall, with the spire was over 1100'. If everything that is proposed now, SST, Government Center, Aquarium garage and Copley Place gets built, the skyline would be extremely impressive. And smaller towers like CC, Filenes, North Station and Russia Wharf will really help fill it in. I am anxious to see what actually will happen over the next 5 years.
Cojapo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 11:08 PM   #31
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 13994

Appears dead:

http://boston.curbed.com/archives/20...ns-biggest.php

Last edited by desertpunk; July 15th, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #32
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

~ Back on!

Mega-Waterfront Development Aquarium Place Surfaces

Quote:
Monday, July 15, 2013, by Tom Acitelli

Time was the twin-tiered project known as Aquarium Place seemed like a real possibility on the Boston waterfront: a set of towers, one as high as 625 feet, with 750,000 square feet of office space as well as luxury apartments, a five-star hotel and retail; the towers would replace the Boston Harbor Garage and be exclamation points on Boston's building renaissance. The only thing standing in the way of Aquarium Place was Mayor Menino; and that, of course, was more than enough to finally quash it in early 2012 (too big for the Greenway's edge, Hizzoner declared), even after developer Don Chiofaro slashed its scale by nearly 25 percent.

The project may yet get built. That's because Menino is, of course, abdicating at the end of the year, and several of his successors have pledged a second look at Chiofaro's Aquarium Place. Indeed, the mayoral hopefuls have pledged a more transparent development-review process in general, one that might see the mayor-mandated power of the hegemonic Boston Redevelopment Authority diluted significantly in favor of more transparent land-use reviews.

[...]
A scaled-down proposal may still be above 600 ft depending on how the developer addresses that key complaint about the Greenway. Either way, something's up.
Old July 15th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #33
hateman

Likes (Received): 266

This may be the worst thing KPF has ever created. Hopefully it will get a redesign.
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #34
ilovecoffee

Likes (Received): 10

this would bring a lot more balance and fullness to the Boston skyline
ilovecoffee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #35
TopperCity

Likes (Received): 0

Boston needs more parking spaces. Searching for a parking in Boston is truly a nightmare. Not everyone lives in the city. Even the Boston residents themselves have to deal with the problem.
TopperCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #36
ilovecoffee

Likes (Received): 10

Perhaps it's a good thing that Boston is getting rid of this parking garage.

Parking spaces takes up a lot of land in cities where space is limited, it also discourages people to live in the city and affects the incomes of the people living in the city.

Here is a graph from Urban design International of other large New England cities which can help validate my point.

ilovecoffee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #37
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2036

Great news!
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #38
DZH22

Likes (Received): 174

Eh, it's still a new mayor away and there isn't even a real proposal at the moment. Plenty of other stuff going on in Boston. However, considering 2 of them are exactly 625' feet (including one just resuming construction), hopefully this one doesn't come in at the exact same height. It's like there's some sort of imaginary line where even the largest new proposals all need to come in somewhere in the low 600's. In a few years the downtown plateau will look like it is on steroids (while still being a plateau in every sense of the word).
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:03 AM   #39
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

It's Go Time for Developers as Menino Exits Office

Quote:
It certainly jibes with the flurries of approvals that Boston's seen recently: Developers are apparently scrambling to get proposals O.K.'d by the city before "Shovels" Menino leaves office at the end of the year.

Per Casey Ross in The Globe:
Quote:
Over the last three months, the Boston Redevelopment Authority has received 23 large development proposals, a 35 percent increase over the same period last year, officials said. The pitches include a 60-story office tower and residences in Government Center, a pair of towers next to the Christian Science Plaza, and large-scale apartment and hotel projects in Roxbury, East Boston, the Fenway, and the Back Bay.
The stronger economy (and its cheaper money) is part of it. But the biggest part is fear of the unknown: Mayor Menino and his Boston Redevelopment Authority have been so amenable to development over the least several years. Now he is leaving and it's likely headed for an overhaul; developers don't know what to expect from a new regime. Though, we suspect they have little to worry about from Menino's successor, whoever that may be.
The Aquarium Garage project resurfaced for this very reason. Sites like this are tremendously valuable regardless of the fate of any particular proposal. Something significant will happen here...

Cojapo liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #40
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Chiofaro Solicits Public Input For Revamped Garage Plan

Quote:
For developer Don Chiofaro, the hope still lives and the dream shall never die to build something on the Boston Harbor Garage, which his firm has owned since 2007. The developer spoke before an advisory committee on waterfront development last week, acknowledging the delicate history of his fight to build ambitiously on the garage at the tail end of the Rose Kennedy Greenway. Said Chiofaro: "Our previous approach has obviously not been successful."

That previous approach included sparring publicly with Mayor Tom "Shovels" Menino, who put the kibosh on Chiofaro's mammoth two-tower Aquarium Place plans in early 2012 (rendered above) because they were too big. Now, the developer is back and noticeably more amenable to suggestions re: scope and use, according to NorthEndWaterfront: "[H]e and his team have been 'toiling the vineyards' to come up Harbor and Greenway enhancement ideas for the site that might be received with more enthusiasm."

To that end, Chiofaro is asking for feedback. What would the public like to see in lieu of the Harbor Garage?

[...]

Tags
70 east india row, aquarium garage, aquarium place, boston, boston harbor, chiofaro, harbor garage, rose kennedy greenway