daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #41
yaohua2000

Likes (Received): 7

Beijing South, the biggest white spot in Beijing

Last edited by yaohua2000; February 7th, 2009 at 05:18 PM.
yaohua2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #42
yaohua2000

Likes (Received): 7

More Photos about Beijing South at:

http://tinyurl.com/bsryls
yaohua2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #43
foxmulder_ms

Likes (Received): 21

Well, actually i liked the list. "extraordinary or awe-inspiring architecture " is the main factor that has been used to create the list, I guess. And mentioned stations are really beautiful.

My list wont be like this but still the list is not terrible.

by the way, @ yaohua2000

I like the link you send, south stations is a very modern and large airport not a train station
foxmulder_ms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 02:22 AM   #44
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6894

south station is a train station, though right now it only serves one rail line (350 km/h HSR to Tianjin). I wish they put some modern stations on the list, it doesn't seem complete without them.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #45
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

Wow, antwerp is the best ever.
Old February 8th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #46
benchjade
SAYONARA, SSC!

Likes (Received): 0

japan not included in the list?
benchjade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #47
foxmulder_ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
south station is a train station, though right now it only serves one rail line (350 km/h HSR to Tianjin). I wish they put some modern stations on the list, it doesn't seem complete without them.

dude! sarcasm.......
Old February 8th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #48
GTR22
お好み焼き!

Likes (Received): 1

Clearly Tokyo Station should be included!

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old February 8th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #49
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

St. Pancras totally deserves the top spot. It's beautiful.

The domestic trains part is good, but not as fantastic as the international part though.

Domestic
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

[img]http://cache.***********.com/xc/73931192.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19318A31BE3974C4F05D37B059AE4A934C4284831B75F48EF45[/img]

I much prefer stations like St. Pancras to ones like Beijing South.

jpfg liked this post
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #50
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR22 View Post

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Are you kidding?

That could be any provincial town in any European country.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #51
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde

Likes (Received): 47

great compilation. Let's see if we can at least decide on criteria for rating trains...
davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #52
sweek

I think the modern part of Antwerp-Central isn't that great, really. Beijing South deserved to be up there.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #53
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11124

This thread quickly became a 'post your main station' thread
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #54
Grunnen

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
I think the modern part of Antwerp-Central isn't that great, really. Beijing South deserved to be up there.
Why?
What makes that station more special than any other station? Only its enormous size, or something else as well? Because that is what the article was about.

Now if we do indeed make this a "show your main station" thread, I would like to introduce: Groningen station.

After the city defense walls were torn down, a presentable station could be built. It was designed by Isaac Gosschalk and finished in 1895.

The main feature of the station is the beautifully decorated inside of the concourse.

The ceiling construction is very interesting, because even though it looks like being made out of stone, it is entirely made of papier mâché. That was necessary to make the ceiling construction light enough.

In front of the station, you'll find the Horse of Uncle Loeks (Peerd van Ome Loeks). The song about this horse is characteristical for the city of Groningen. It tells about someone not giving the horse enough food, so that it dies.

The Horse is standing right upon Stadsbalkon. That is a large underground bicycle shed right in front of the main entrance.

All in all, according to a thourough investigation of DAG newspaper, the station of Groningen is the very best railway station in the Netherlands.
Grunnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #55
asystem32

Likes (Received): 0

Great pics of great stations!

I personally love St. Pancras, Chhatrapati Shivaji and Gare des Bénédictins.
asystem32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #56
sweek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunnen View Post
Why?
What makes that station more special than any other station? Only its enormous size, or something else as well? Because that is what the article was about.

Now if we do indeed make this a "show your main station" thread, I would like to introduce: Groningen station.
Groningen is alright in the Netherlands, but I prefer Haarlem myself. It looks great on the inside and it's quite a convenient station.

I mostly like the outside shape of Beijing South station. Not sure if it's completely done yet?
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #57
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR22 View Post
Isn't part of the problem that the Newsweek article isn't clear about whether they look at external or internal architecture? I mean, some of the Asian railway stations on that list look beautifully from the outside but, well, they are not very luxurious, or even efficient, on the inside. Railway stations such as Central Union and Antwerp have magnificient internal halls but are not that imposing from afar. In the latter category one could have added Milan which also looks like a proper cathedral... once you're inside.

Without insulting anybody, I wouldn't vote for Tokyo Station - and this is because of the second consideration. I have been there a few times (I don't travel to Japan all that often...) and I always feel claustrophopic. Inside a railway station I expect at least 8-10 metres of air above my head - and I most definitely do not want to "tunnel" my way past shops and eateries in low corridors like some sort of mole.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:42 AM   #58
foxmulder_ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunnen View Post
Why?

Why??!!! Because we like it! This is very subjective. I cannot comment on you likes at all and you cannot on ours. Jeez!

I am bored with that Victorian styles. We had enough of it for last couple of centuries. Moreover, I like modern architecture and everybody know size does matter for most of the cases :P That's WHY.
Old February 10th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #59
Grunnen

Likes (Received): 58

In my opinion, for a station to be one of the "top stations of the world" it should take a little bit more than just "because I like it".
Grunnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #60
Khanrak
SECULARISM

Likes (Received): 114

Lets not forget the criteria for the list. Its not about awe-inspiring beauty, its more about interesting facts and special roles in history, etc.

Antwerps station looks beautiful, but what is really so special about it? It looks like it could be in Germany or Austria too. Groningen's station is pretty, but again, i dont see what's so special about it besides the sculpture outside. The ceiling is interesting, but is it the only example of such a ceiling? If it is, then I think it should be on the list. Beijings is big, but not historic.

St. Pancras and Mumbai's Victoria Terminus are the nicest stations on the list, although the latter could really use a powerwashing and renovation. Victoria Terminus was renamed by Hindu nationalists as "Shiva-ji", since chattrapati shiva resisted the Muslim Mughals. hence, he's a hero to hindu nationalists.

Lahore's station has an interesting story, but it is pretty ugly. I guess thats the result of it being a british fort as well as a station? I suppose it does have a unique style.

my pick for the list would be Sirkeci Station in Istanbul. Its beautiful, was built during the Ottoman times, and was the terminal station for the Orient Express.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirkeci_Station Haydarpasha is nice too, and looks like a palace. Not to mention, it was the starting point of the historic Hejaz railway, which featured prominently in Lawrence of Arabia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istanbu...ailway_station

Why do states that enforce Sharia always end up as the world's most repressive states?
[/CENTER]

Last edited by Khanrak; February 10th, 2009 at 09:38 AM.
Khanrak no está en línea   Reply With Quote