daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 19th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #421
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Love the messages from KMB.

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #422
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Wow, that is a great way to get publicity! Bo bo go sing to u too!
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #423
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Synthetic oil helps put KMB on the right road
26 December 2006
South China Morning Post

A synthetic gearbox oil used by the Kowloon Motor Bus Company (KMB) since last year has proved to be more environmentally friendly than mineral oil, and has helped to cut its costs for lubricants by two-thirds.

KMB said that since it switched to the high-quality synthetic gearbox lubricant last year, more oil had been successfully recycled.

"The old lubricant contained a lot of impurities" and was not as suitable for recycling, said Louis Wong Ka-chi, KMB's building surveying facilities management officer.

But despite the company's success with the synthetic gearbox oil, it has not been widely used by taxis and private vehicles, with their waste oil still being burned at a public treatment plant in Tsing Yi.

Friends of the Earth acting director Edwin Lau Che-feng said waste-oil recycling was a much better option than burning the lubricant once it had been used.

"There is always a danger that toxic chemicals and metal content will be released into the air while burning," Mr Lau said.

"Besides, why burn something when it can be recycled?"

KMB found that synthetic gearbox oil lasted five times the distance of mineral oil. It also had a longer lifespan of about six months instead of four.

Of the 960,000 litres of waste oil produced by the Kowloon Motor Bus Company last year, 19,000 litres were of the synthetic type, Mr Wong said.

Only one of the 24 licensed waste-oil collecting agents in the city has the know-how and equipment to recycle oil, while the rest only collect the waste.

Mr Lau said it would be better for consumers if more of these agents could recycle the waste oil.

"The waste producers do not care where the waste goes as long as somebody takes care of it," he said.

"Maybe the government should help promote the idea among the agents."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:45 AM   #424
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgadv02 View Post
I still like Volvo's design, followed by Dennis. Euro IV looks horrible!
Pal, Euro IV is the emission standard, NOT the brandname! That bus's brand is SCANIA.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:27 PM   #425
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkth View Post
Pal, Euro IV is the emission standard, NOT the brandname! That bus's brand is SCANIA.
Lol, yea... I just noticed after I posted that, sorry.
Old March 24th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #426
hkth

Photo Gallery of the last Non AC Bus for KMB Route 3B in HKiTalk
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #427
hkskyline
Hong Kong

KMB Provides Full Air-conditioned Bus Service on Route 3B
22 March 2007
KMB Press Release

To provide a more comfortable bus service for passengers in Wong Tai Sin and Kowloon City Districts, with effect from Saturday, 24 March 2007, Route 3B [Tsz Wan Shan (Central) ←→ Hung Hom Ferry Concourse] will be converted into a full air-conditioned service. The fare will be $4.20.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:53 PM   #428
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Old April 24th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #429
Taylorhoge

Likes (Received): 10

nice pics love the faces they look like some of the faces of buses in London
Taylorhoge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #430
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorhoge View Post
nice pics love the faces they look like some of the faces of buses in London
buses in London are pretty much using the same model as in HK. that's why the look so similar or even exactly the same.
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #431
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
buses in London are pretty much using the same model as in HK. that's why the look so similar or even exactly the same.
The ones in London are a lot shorter.

Old April 25th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #432
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

Why does HK only use 3-axle? Is there a technical reason?
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #433
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

I think having more axles increases load capacity and decreases stress on the axle = longer service life + lower maintenance costs + better reliability.

Plus they can buy more of the generic tires instead of having to buy separate ones with higher design specs...

And, they used to have 2-axle buses back in the day, non-A/C'ed ones.

EDIT:
Quote:
A tandem axle is a group of two or more axles situated close together. Trucks designs will use such a configuration to provide a greater weight capacity than a single axle.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #434
hkth

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
I think having more axles increases load capacity and decreases stress on the axle = longer service life + lower maintenance costs + better reliability.

Plus they can buy more of the generic tires instead of having to buy separate ones with higher design specs...

And, they used to have 2-axle buses back in the day, non-A/C'ed ones.

EDIT:
Quote:
A tandem axle is a group of two or more axles situated close together. Trucks designs will use such a configuration to provide a greater weight capacity than a single axle.
Actually, the major reason for HK using 3-axle buses was the accidents on Tuen Mun Highway and caused the Gov't discourage franchised bus companies to purchase the 2-axle double deckers. In the 1980s, KMB used the 2 axle Leyland Victory II buses to run on Tuen Mun Highway. Those buses fell down when making a turn for around 60km/h. You may watch the clip here. Warning! The cilp is quite horrible!

Last edited by hkth; April 25th, 2007 at 01:13 PM.
hkth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #435
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7 View Post
It's a Hong Kong only regulation. The overall weight of a non-A/C 11m or 12m double-decker exceeds the maximum allowable gross weight of a 2-axle vehicle. Therefore, all the 11m and 12m buses started as 3-axle vehicle, not 2-axle in HK.

Than when A/C double-decker become popular in HK, bus companies started importing short haul vehicle with 9.3m or 10.6m to fit the narrow HK roadyways. With the additional A/C equipments on board, even short haul vehicles exceed the maximum allowable gross weight, manufactures had to make 3-axle vehicles to accommandate the Hong Kong needs.

In Singapore and London, for the same model of buses, doesn't matter what is the overall length, many of them are only 2-axle with some 3-axle vehilces, but they appear to be all 3-axle vehicle in Hong Kong.
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #436
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkth View Post
Actually, the major reason for HK using 3-axle buses was the accidents on Tuen Mun Highway and caused the Gov't discourage franchised bus companies to purchase the 2-axle double deckers. In the 1980s, KMB used the 2 axle Leyland Victory II buses to run on Tuen Mun Highway. Those buses fell down when making a turn for around 60km/h. You may watch the clip here. Warning! The cilp is quite horrible!
3-axle buses do not prevent or lower the chance of flip-over over the 2-axle. It's about the vehicle weight and teavelling speed. The youtube clip you found was a perfect example, it's based on the turn-over accident happened in Feb 1998 on Hung Hing Rd overpass in Wanchai; where a 12m 3-axle Dennis Dragon turned over when it turned the corner at exceeding speed.

The 2-axle Leyland Victory II had a design problem with its chassis hang high off the ground. The center of mass of the veichle is consquently higher than any other models. As it travel fast, the chance of turn-over when turning is higher. Beside that, the front-engine design actually did provide a lot more power to overcome the hilly road in HK. It's still my favorite bus model. But too bad it's not on the road anymore.
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #437
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Isn't it all about lowering the center of gravity?

Old April 26th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #438
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Isn't it all about lowering the center of gravity?
One of the factors, not only about the center of gravity.
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #439
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

So I was partly right?

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #440
hkskyline
Hong Kong