daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #461
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Are there any pictures of the new Scania K95??

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #462
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

The new model (K95) was a hot topic for a while, but disappeared...
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #463
vristo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkth View Post
This Tai Tam Road is on the Dam of the Tai Tam Reservoir. It was built in the early 1900s and the planner did not planned it would have double deckers to drive along the road. That's why when the dam cannot hold two or more double deckers to drive on both ways.
Somebody has taken it to video and sent to YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qxkNs42aWY
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #464
vristo

Likes (Received): 0

How about Alexander Dennis Enviro 500 (a fleet number ATEU1), a Euro IV-engined prototype? Anybody has seen it or taken photo?
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #465
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

加薪談判破裂 不排除全面罷駛
新巴城巴千車今早慢駛

29/06/2007
太陽報

【本報訊】新巴及城巴職工會與資方就加薪談判破裂,約二千八百名員工將於今日發起工業行動,兩巴共一千部巴士會慢駛及靠站落客,二百多名廠房員工則於下午罷工兩小時。工會代表揚言,若資方不拿出誠意回應員工要求,工業行動將升級,不排除全面罷駛。運輸署擔心會對港島區的交通造成影響,呼籲巿民要提早出門及預留較多時間。

零意外特別獎一千元
新巴及城巴職工會共十多名代表昨日與資方經過逾五小時談判,最終仍然談判破裂。工會表示,願意接受資方加薪不低於二百七十一元的方案,但要求公司為車長提供退休證,讓車長享免費乘車優惠;以及暫緩推行員工評核與加薪幅度掛鵾的新措施。資方拒絕勞方建議,但另外提出發放一千元特別獎金,予出勤率達百分之百及零意外率的員工,工會指條件苛刻拒絕接受。

新巴職工會理事長麥兆基表示,在過去的會議中,工會已一再退讓,由原來要求加薪百分之二點八或不低於三百一十元,退讓至加薪不低於二百九十元,並提出其他不涉及薪酬的考慮方案。工會已強調有關提議已經是最後讓步,但資方仍然堅持維持加薪不低於二百七十一元,導致談判破裂。

市區車速不越30公里
工會認為資方毫無誠意解決問題,決定於今日發起工業行動方案,包括發起一千架巴士,在早上七時至十一時,靠左慢駛,對正站頭才上落客,市區行車不超過時速三十公里,高速公路不超過五十公里。新巴的廠房員工更會於下午三時半至五時半罷工兩小時,到柴灣車廠外靜坐。預計會有七成員工,即二千八百人會參與今次的工業行動。

新巴及城巴發言人表示,公司所提出的加薪方案已是所能負擔極限,對工會發起按章工作已有應變機制,並會和政府及其他交通營辦商保持聯絡,作適當調配。

運輸署發言人呼籲市民提早出門及留意交通情況,有需要時考慮使用其他交通工具,署方已經知會各公共運輸機構,在需要時作出調配及應變。該署的緊急事故交通協調中心會密切監察交通情況。

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #466
aznichiro115

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vristo View Post
How about Alexander Dennis Enviro 500 (a fleet number ATEU1), a Euro IV-engined prototype? Anybody has seen it or taken photo?
i saw it today sitting at Tuen Mun Depot, with luggage racks, it was rumored to start running on B1
aznichiro115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #467
aznichiro115

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_t View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. NWFB vehicles. AFAIK, do not have those LED destons seen on CTB. All NWFB vehicles uses the flipdot ones.
there are a few, some darts, and one Super Olympian, one short Trident, i think that is it.

the interior of the CTB buses with LED displays have NWFB seats, but the funny thing i find, it seams like not one CTB bus that the same size display as another.
aznichiro115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 08:16 AM   #468
hkskyline
Hong Kong

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #469
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Photo Link from HKiTalk about the Three Bus Routes to the Shenzhen Bay Port, B2 (from Yuen Long West Rail Station to SZB, via Tin Shui Wai), B3 (from Tuen Mun Pier to SZB) and B3X (Direct route from Tuen Mun Town Center to SZB). All Photos were posted by eric278.
Old July 14th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #470
hkth

Photo Link from HKiTalk for the latest Long Win Volvo Super-Olympian Double Decker, with Alexander-Dennis Enviro 500 body. Posted by grantbus.
Old July 15th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #471
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Old July 18th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #472
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Officials back seat belts for upper rows on buses
7 July 2007
South China Morning Post

The government supports the fitting of safety belts in the front-row seats on the upper level of most double-decker buses, but wearing them will not be mandatory.

In another proposal in a continuing push to improve bus safety, drivers will be given at least 12 minutes of rest time in the first four hours of their shift, in addition to their normal 50-minute meal break.

The moves, outlined in papers prepared for legislators by the Transport and Housing Bureau, follow a series of traffic accidents since last year involving double-deckers in which passengers were killed or severely injured after being thrown through the windscreens.

The recommendation for seat belts in the first four rows on the upper deck has received support from the three major bus companies, which have promised to install them on all buses made after 1997.

The bureau said, however, that it would be "technically difficult" to retrofit seat belts on the single exposed seat facing the aisle at the rear of the upper deck. Passengers have complained that people sitting in this seat are thrown forward if a bus makes a sudden stop.

The bureau said buses produced before 1997 would require a redesign costing HK$124 million if seat belts were to be fitted.

Instead, the bureau suggested adding a horizontal guard rail across the upper deck windscreen.

But the bureau does not suggest making the wearing of seat beats on buses a legal requirement.

"The enforcement of such a requirement by the police on franchised buses is much more difficult than on public light buses since passengers can stand or move around in a bus even when the bus is in motion," it wrote.

But the bureau indicated that it was keeping an open mind about legislation and would be prepared to make it mandatory when the front row seats of most buses were fitted with seat belts.

In other proposals, bus drivers would get a break of no less than 9.5 hours - instead of the current nine hours - between working days.

New driver training programmes would also be introduced by bus companies.

Kowloon Motor Bus will use computerised driving simulators from this month to sharpen drivers' reactions in emergencies.

The proposal is to be tabled at the Legislative Council's transport panel for discussion on Monday

Last year, there were 1,944 accidents involving franchised buses, compared with 1,929 in 2005.

Old August 12th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #473
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Passengers swelter as KMB changes to low gear on phasing out 'hot dog' buses
17 June 2007
South China Morning Post

On a hot morning at the Tsim Sha Tsui bus terminus this week, the driver and passengers on the No5 bus were sweating profusely as the temperature reached 32 degrees Celsius - three degrees higher than outside.

Other buses in the queue were much cooler, because they had air conditioning, but this No5 bus was one of KMB's 260 non-air-conditioned buses, which were all supposed to be replaced this year.

"It is boiling hot, that's why we call it a 'hot dog' bus. The situation is even worse on rainy days when sweat, vapour and rain mix together," said the driver, Lo Tak-keung, 46.

"Of course, I would prefer to drive an air-conditioned bus if I could," said Mr Lo, who started driving buses four months ago and drives the "hot dog" bus between Tsim Sha Tsui Pier and Choi Hung every day. "But my seniors drove the older and even hotter buses in the past. I have to go through this because I am new."

On the lower deck, a 70-year-old passenger who identified herself only as "Madam Tsang" was fanning herself. "I would rather choose to take the air-conditioned bus even it is more expensive. But when I am in a rush, I have no choice and take whatever bus comes first," she said, adding, "I feel like I am in a steam room."

KMB began introducing air-conditioned buses in 1995 and pledged to phase out the old buses from its fleet of 4,021 buses by the end of this year. Yet the company has since postponed the full-replacement for three years, claiming some residents are reluctant to pay the higher fare for the new buses. The 260 old buses have raised concerns about air pollution and fare rises.

Polytechnic University vehicle emission expert Lo Kok-keung said the "hot dog" buses were more polluting than the new buses. Vehicle emission is the main cause of air pollution at street level in Hong Kong.

"All the non-air-conditioned buses are pre-Euro [emission standard] models and manufactured before 1992, [so] the emission is roughly 20 per cent more than the new buses." Mr Lo said. "Besides, they [the 'hot dogs'] are less energy efficient because of the old design."

Explaining the delay in the fleet's full replacement, a KMB spokesman said: "We have faced opposition from some district councillors, saying the elderly in some areas find it difficult to accept the fare adjustment. Thus we postponed the progress and expect all buses will be air conditioned in 2010."

Another concern was cost effectiveness.

"Other bus companies have about 1,000 buses each, but we have 4,000. We need to consider carefully when we buy new buses, based on the principle of cost effectiveness." he said, adding that the average life span of a bus was about 17 years and that it took a while to replace them all.

Transport Department data shows KMB operates 99 out of its 400 routes with these old buses - mainly in run-down areas such as Sham Shui Po, Wong Tai Sin and Kowloon City. The difference in fare between air-conditioned and non-air-conditioned buses is 37 per cent on average.

Old August 13th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #474
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

The non-a/c bus will soon become memory.
Old August 13th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #475
hkth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post

KMB began introducing air-conditioned buses in 1995 and pledged to phase out the old buses from its fleet of 4,021 buses by the end of this year. Yet the company has since postponed the full-replacement for three years, claiming some residents are reluctant to pay the higher fare for the new buses. The 260 old buses have raised concerns about air pollution and fare rises.

Polytechnic University vehicle emission expert Lo Kok-keung said the "hot dog" buses were more polluting than the new buses. Vehicle emission is the main cause of air pollution at street level in Hong Kong.

"All the non-air-conditioned buses are pre-Euro [emission standard] models and manufactured before 1992, [so] the emission is roughly 20 per cent more than the new buses." Mr Lo said. "Besides, they [the 'hot dogs'] are less energy efficient because of the old design."

Explaining the delay in the fleet's full replacement, a KMB spokesman said: "We have faced opposition from some district councillors, saying the elderly in some areas find it difficult to accept the fare adjustment. Thus we postponed the progress and expect all buses will be air conditioned in 2010."

Some Incorrect data from the SCMP.

There're still some non-A/C double decker buses were built for KMB when A/C buses were already entered HK. The first A/C double decker bus was successfully operated HK in 1988 (the first Leyland Olympian in A/C) and KMB purchased quite many in the early 1990s. Those A/C double decker buses wasn't very popular for the passengers because KMB charged too high, for example in route 1A, it was $1.7 for non-A/C buses in early 1990s but $4 for A/C buses. Therefore, there were some originally A/C double deckers converted into non A/C double deckers. KMB finally stopped converting them in around 1995, when they saw Citybus on the HK Island successfully using the A/C double deckers but still charging in low fare.
Old August 27th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #476
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By kmbear from a Hong Kong transport forum :

Old August 28th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #477
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Is that the new bus? It looks too boxy...

My favorite is the Enviro 500 Volvo B9TL

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #478
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Is that the new bus? It looks too boxy...

My favorite is the Enviro 500 Volvo B9TL
Yes, this is a new model and I saw it running on route 104 over the weekend.

Old August 28th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #479
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

Only one of them so far? Is it a trial model? And I thought the Volvo B9TL met Euro IV already, despite having an older engine.
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #480
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7 View Post
Only one of them so far? Is it a trial model? And I thought the Volvo B9TL met Euro IV already, despite having an older engine.
There are two of this new bus (Scania K310UD) in HK, but only one is running in service right now. The other one is still in the depot.

There are only two EURO IV buses in KMB's fleet including one B9TL (fleet number AVD 1) and one Dennis Enviro (fleet number ATEU 1) prior to the two Scania K310UD. The AVD and ATEU use the same Volgren and Enviro 500 bodies as the other buses in fleet which do not stand out the EURO IV engine feature. I guess this is an opportunity for KMB's marketing to send out the more environmental friendly bus message again with a totally new bus which looks totally different from the others.

I mean, the general public cannot distinguish a bus in different models by its look. If the two models use the same body, the public think they were the same when they aren't. For example the Enviro Body is used in both Volvo B9TL and Dennis Enviro.

Last edited by EricIsHim; August 28th, 2007 at 10:47 PM. Reason: I screwed up with wrong info, corrected after ith more in depth research.
EricIsHim no está en línea   Reply With Quote