daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:06 PM   #501
GreenPeas
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkth View Post
GreenPeas, can you tell us what would be your bus travel plan in HK?

Guys im already here in hong kong! i took the cityflyer. yeah theres that onboard info. thanks you so much!

i enjoyed the ride from the airport to foresshill. fantastic night scape scenery! very sensational!!!

-allan
GreenPeas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #502
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Photo Link from HKiTalk for New Volvo B9TLs on KMB Route 968 + Euro 4 Standard MAN for New Lantao Bus Route B2.
Old October 11th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #503
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Why are the buses (relatively) dirty? Its like people see the crevice and think "Hmm I must fill up this space with my mucus on a tissue..."

Surely the ridership between MTR and bus can't be that different that people who take the bus are unhygenic, dirty bastards?
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #504
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Why are the buses (relatively) dirty? Its like people see the crevice and think "Hmm I must fill up this space with my mucus on a tissue..."

Surely the ridership between MTR and bus can't be that different that people who take the bus are unhygenic, dirty bastards?
Because the buses do not get cleaned as through as the MTR trains... it's all about money...
Old October 12th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #505
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

it's not like the buses are actually dirty, just people leaving their junk around, which is kinda gross.

And not to sound like a bigot, but on my bus on the way up to the peak, so many mainland people (I'm assuming so because they spoke mandarin) left their soda bottles, etc etc on the bus (i'm not saying locals don't do it, but the people who did it on the peak bus just did it so blatantly it caught my attention.

I think it was bus 10 or something.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #506
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
Because the buses do not get cleaned as through as the MTR trains... it's all about money...
That's my point though - an MTR carriage could not be cleaned for weeks and it'd still be immaculate, because people don't decide to let others know they've been there with bits of tissue paper and food bags lying around.

Quote:
it's not like the buses are actually dirty, just people leaving their junk around, which is kinda gross.

And not to sound like a bigot, but on my bus on the way up to the peak, so many mainland people (I'm assuming so because they spoke mandarin) left their soda bottles, etc etc on the bus (i'm not saying locals don't do it, but the people who did it on the peak bus just did it so blatantly it caught my attention.

I think it was bus 10 or something.
The Peak buses (I admit I don't take them often) aren't so bad - you should ride some of the buses on HK Island that go far east, like route numbers 81, 82, 85, 2A, 2 and M722 - half of the seats have some variety of chewing gum, tissue, or food deposits. Strangely enough, route number 720 which also takes a similar route to M722 is generally speaking very clean...
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #507
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

If you'd like to know what a dirty bus really is like you won't be pointing to Hong Kong for good examples.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #508
hkskyline
Hong Kong

九巴車站「經輪筒」方便查資料
10月 16日 星期二 05:10AM

【明報專訊】在九龍區搭巴士,不難發現繁忙路段的巴士站裝上了一個鮮紅色「琑琑轉」圓筒,貌似念佛經用的經輪滾筒。九巴 為方便乘客查閱資料,斥資約75萬元,陸續安裝500個原創的多面旋轉路線

資料盤,取代原有的雙面路線資料盤,市民查詢巴士路線資料,再不需要團團轉。

4面盤顯示12條巴士線資料

新款的路線資料盤沿用九巴傳統的鮮紅色,以玻璃纖維強化塑膠製成,每個資料盤共有4面,最多可同時展示12條巴士路線資料。九巴工程部高級經理黎永強表示,新式資料盤約高1米,重約30磅,套在站柱以螺絲固定高度。黎相信「巴士迷」不容易將轉盤拆走。

180站改用 成本1500元

滾筒的具體設計由九巴工程部員工負責。黎永強表示,現時已有180多個巴士站改用新式路線盤,約佔全港4000個九巴車站的4%,每個旋轉式資料盤成本約1500元。

這種被九巴員工匿稱為「四面佛」的路線資料盤,現時主要設置在巴士路線較多的繁忙路段,如彌敦道、長沙灣道及觀塘道,單是彌敦道現時已有67個巴士站改用多面旋轉式路線資料盤。

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #509
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Legco to debate franchised bus fares
Monday, October 15, 2007
Government Press Release

The following is issued on behalf of the Legislative Council Secretariat:

The Legislative Council will hold a meeting on Wednesday (October 17) at 11am in the Chamber of the Legislative Council Building. During the meeting, Members will debate a motion on franchised bus fares.

The motion, to be moved by Hon Lee Wing-tat, states: "That, as a franchised bus operator has recently applied to the Transport Department for a substantial fare increase of 9%, which is far beyond public affordability, this council urges the Government to reject the application and adopt measures, including:

(a) in applying the Modified Basket of Factors approach, taking the outcome of the fare adjustment formula and public affordability as primary factors for consideration, while other factors should be supplementary and secondary ones;

(b) allowing the Legislative Council to activate the fare adjustment mechanism so as to safeguard public interest;

(c) requesting the franchised bus companies to provide more comprehensive sectional fares and bus-bus interchange concessions;

(d) discussing with the franchised bus companies the introduction of one-day and monthly ticket schemes for buses;

(e) designating Sundays and public holidays as free-ride days for the elderly; and

(f) introducing half-fare concessions for people with disabilities, with a view to ensuring that franchised bus fares are within public affordability, and promoting the participation of the socially disadvantaged in the community."

Hon Miriam Lau, Hon Wong Kwok-hing and Hon Cheung Hok-ming will move separate amendments to Hon Lee Wing-tat's motion.

Members will also debate a motion on the development of the convention and exhibition industry. The motion, to be proposed by Hon Andrew Leung Kwan-yuen, says: "That, as the convention and exhibition industry brings about enormous direct and indirect economic benefits to Hong Kong every year, and the Mainland, Macao and many Southeast Asian cities have built or expanded their convention and exhibition spaces in recent years and launched measures and promotional activities to attract large-scale international exhibitions; in the face of keen competition from the neighbouring regions, this council urges the Government to ensure that Hong Kong provides competitive convention and exhibition venues and supporting facilities to maintain its position as the convention and exhibition capital of Asia."

Hon Wong Ting-kwong will move an amendment to Hon Andrew Leung Kwan-yuen's motion.

Hon Miriam Lau will move a resolution under the Interpretation and General Clauses Ordinance to extend the period for amending the Building Management (Third Party Risks Insurance) Regulation and Merchant Shipping (Prevention of Air Pollution) Regulation laid on the table of the Legislative Council on July 11, 2007, to the meeting of November 7, 2007.

The Secretary for Justice will move a resolution under the Interpretation and General Clauses Ordinance to amend the Official Languages (Alteration of Text under Section 4D)(Miscellaneous) Order 2007 laid on the table of the Legislative Council on July 4, 2007.

During the meeting, Members will also ask the Administration 20 questions on various policy areas, six of which require oral replies.

The agenda of the above meeting can be obtained via the Legislative Council InfoFax Service (Tel: 2869 9568) or the Legislative Council web site (http://www.legco.gov.hk).

Members of the public are welcome to observe the proceedings of the meeting from the public galleries of the Legislative Council Chamber. They may reserve seats by calling 2869 9399 during office hours. Seats will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. Members of the public can also listen to the meeting via the audio webcast system on the Legislative Council homepage.

Old October 17th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #510
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
If you'd like to know what a dirty bus really is like you won't be pointing to Hong Kong for good examples.
I was of course, relatively speaking - a point which I think I already mentioned.

Surely there must be an explanation for Hong Kong buses being so much dirtier than their MTR counterparts? I don't think cleaning schedules is it...
Old October 17th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #511
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Trains endure more passenger volumes, so naturally they'll need to be cleaned more often. The crowds also don't make it very comfortable to eat and drink during rush hour, when every available space is packed to the brim. Good luck even moving your hands to get your sandwich out.

Old October 17th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #512
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Legco motion on bus fares is just hot air in election season
17 October 2007
South China Morning Post

"The motion, to be moved by Hon Lee Wing-tat, states: 'That, as a franchised bus operator has recently applied to the Transport Department for a substantial fare increase of 9%, which is far beyond public affordability, this council urges the Government to reject the application and adopt measures, including:

(a) in applying the Modified Basket of Factors approach, taking the outcome of the fare adjustment formula and public affordability as primary factors for consideration, while other factors should be supplementary and secondary ones {hellip} "

Legco news release, October 15

It's Sod's Law in operation. Here I was in this column yesterday making the do-gooder case for how democracy will always give you the best result and meanwhile the head of the Democratic Party was doing his best to prove me wrong.

Now don't misunderstand me. There is no love lost here for Kowloon Motor Bus. It is responsible for inflicting on bus passengers that utter abomination, Roadshow. May the fleas of a thousand camels inhabit the armpits of its directors for that crime alone.

But when it tells us that rising fuel prices, rising interest rates, increases in toll charges and loss of patronage to the urban railways are squeezing profits on its bus operations, I am inclined to believe that it is telling us the truth.

In past times this would have led relatively smoothly to a compensating increase in fares. A fare adjustment mechanism took care of it.

But civil servants don't like the idea of an adjustment mechanism. It leaves no role for them. Ours therefore decided to abandon mechanisms in regulating bus fares and adopt what they called the Modified Basket of Factors approach.

I have never yet heard what factors went into this basket and in what proportion or how they are modified but I don't really need to hear. The truth of it is that both factors and modification essentially come down to whether the civil servant who rules on them got out of the right side of bed that morning and whether he had a good breakfast. That's what happens when you substitute subjective judgment for objective fact.

But Mr Lee can find nothing objectionable in this. Try asking him, when he says that a 9 per cent fare increase "is far beyond public affordability", what his calculations show to be within public affordability. How is his index of public affordability constructed? What factors does he use and in what weightings?

I guarantee you it is as pointless as asking the civil servant this question. There is nothing there, just a lot of empty talk. It's aimed at getting votes from the public housing tenants' lobby, just as the civil servant's is directed principally to restraining unrest in the same group of people.

The only difference is that Mr Lee does not even want to retain the appearance of a mechanism. Fares should be determined on the basis of the "fare adjustment formula", which means nothing because there is no rigorous formula, and on "public affordability", which means nothing because it's a buzzword and no one can put hard numbers into it.

He doesn't stop there, by the way. Also on the wish list of his Legco motion are free ride days for the elderly on Sundays and holidays and 50 per cent fare discounts for disabled people to promote the "participation of the socially disadvantaged in the community", as if this were a private bus company's responsibility.

Mr Lee, we would all like this and more. We all wish that all of us, not only the elderly, could get free ride days and, in fact, we wish that we could get them every day of the week. We should also give disabled people special ramps at every bus stop and on-board lifts with every bus to carry them to the top deck.

But who is going to pay for it? Would you Democrats, please, for once, grow up and get it into your heads that you are no longer just making noise on campus and that money does not grow on trees?

If you don't pay for your bus ride with your bus fare then you won't have a bus service unless every item on your wish list is backed up with a specific subsidy provision from public funds. Go on. Let's see you do it.

Old October 17th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #513
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Trains endure more passenger volumes, so naturally they'll need to be cleaned more often. The crowds also don't make it very comfortable to eat and drink during rush hour, when every available space is packed to the brim. Good luck even moving your hands to get your sandwich out.
I don't take either during rush hour very often, so that's not an issue. Nor do I eat/drink on public transport (bar ferries, and bar water).

The trains implement a strict no-food/drink policy nowadays, but even prior to that they weren't littered with people's garbage. How do you explain that one? And chewing gum? Why are MTR seats not plastered in gum?

Are trains too "public" for people to shove their mucus-filled tissues down crevices too? Or do not enough crevices exist on trains - perhaps we should implement a "crevices on trains" policy to satiate the local thirst for shoving things down gaps?

Its a classic case of "if given the space..."
Old October 17th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #514
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
I don't take either during rush hour very often, so that's not an issue. Nor do I eat/drink on public transport (bar ferries, and bar water).

The trains implement a strict no-food/drink policy nowadays, but even prior to that they weren't littered with people's garbage. How do you explain that one? And chewing gum? Why are MTR seats not plastered in gum?

Are trains too "public" for people to shove their mucus-filled tissues down crevices too? Or do not enough crevices exist on trains - perhaps we should implement a "crevices on trains" policy to satiate the local thirst for shoving things down gaps?

Its a classic case of "if given the space..."
It's all about convenience, and lack of sitting space. If people are standing and holding onto the safety bars, good luck trying to meddle something with one hand. It's all common sense. Add to that the metal seats aren't easy to vandalize, plus the stares of an open train cabin where everything you do is easily visible.

Contrast that to a bus, where the unsuspected vandal can hide behind a seat, draw a bit, and have a picnic. Plenty of crevices between seats await garbage. Try to find a crevice between seats on the MTR, and good luck finding a place to hide to do your deed.

Sounds so logical doesn't it?

Old October 17th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #515
_00_deathscar

The question then of course is, why can't these people just dispose of their rubbish like most law-abiding citizens do - in the bleeding trash can: there're flipping tons of them about in HK. What's so wrong with not vandalising public space?

Don't mind the drawing so much anyway - I've seen the occasionaly hilarious message which brings about a laugh on a dull grey sleepy morning

Last edited by _00_deathscar; October 17th, 2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old October 17th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #516
hkskyline
Hong Kong

It's the same question as why are there murderers, vandals, and crooks in the world.

Old October 17th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #517
_00_deathscar

Quote:
It's the same question as why are there murderers, vandals, and crooks in the world.
There aren't trash cans for murderers, vandals and crooks to dispose their filth into though.

Well there are, but that's where they're disposed into - they're called jails.
Old October 18th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #518
hkskyline
Hong Kong

There are no trash cans on buses, and if security fears are heightened, the trash cans on the MTR / KCR may go some day as well. It's actually easy to throw trash away when riding the train. Not the case with a bus. Not all bus stops have trash cans either.

Old October 18th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #519
_00_deathscar

Quote:
There are no trash cans on buses, and if security fears are heightened, the trash cans on the MTR / KCR may go some day as well. It's actually easy to throw trash away when riding the train. Not the case with a bus. Not all bus stops have trash cans either.
As I said, there are plenty of trash cans in Hong Kong - there is absolutely no need to dispose of your rubbish in a public space, when there are plenty of places served towards this kind of thing. Hold on to it, get off when you need to, find the nearest trash can on the way to work/school/whatever, dispose.
Old October 18th, 2007, 05:59 AM   #520
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
As I said, there are plenty of trash cans in Hong Kong - there is absolutely no need to dispose of your rubbish in a public space, when there are plenty of places served towards this kind of thing. Hold on to it, get off when you need to, find the nearest trash can on the way to work/school/whatever, dispose.
Well, idealism vs. reality. There are a lot of trash bins in New York City, and it still has dirty streets. A street with no trash bins in Japan can still be spotless.