daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #541
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

This is the special one.
970X is a Western Crossing Harbour Tunnel route, somehow it's running thru the Crossing Harbour.

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #542
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Citybus use to have the best buses but now they're too old. They need to buy new buses and replace the aging fleet. KMB on the other hand have nice buses.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #543
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

6 goes to mei foo doesnt it? It looks like the underpass of the Mei foo terminal.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #544
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates View Post
Citybus use to have the best buses but now they're too old. They need to buy new buses and replace the aging fleet. KMB on the other hand have nice buses.
Yep - the new KMB fleet has comfortable seats, good leg room and are well maintained. NWFB is just all over the place...

Quote:
I know using "the top 4" to promote the Premier League can be really clichéd, but using Middlesbrough (arguably the dullest team around) to promote the League/channel is most certainly a novel approach to marketing.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #545
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates View Post
The New World Group is ordering dozens (I forgot the exact number. ) of new Euro IV standard buses to replace the A/C buses originally from China Motor Bus and the early purchased Citybuses. You would see those new buses by late 2007 to early 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo
6 goes to mei foo doesnt it? It looks like the underpass of the Mei foo terminal.
You're right, gladisimo. AAMOF, both KMB Routes 6 and 6A go to Mei Foo and they share almost the same journey. The only difference is route 6A terminates at Nob Hill, the former Lai Chi Kok Amusement Park.
Old November 11th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #546
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Actually, some of the NWFB retrofits for old CMB Volvo Olympians have been quite well done, but the Citybus ones are a mix, with some being aged. They really need to get rid of the upholstery.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #547
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By 吞拿魚 from a Hong Kong transport forum :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #548
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By km319 from a Hong Kong transport forum :

Old November 13th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #549
hkskyline
Hong Kong

蔣麗芸建議九巴 設天水圍廉價專線
11月 13日 星期二 05:05AM

【明報專訊】現時各界都將焦點放在如何匡扶天水圍社區,民建聯副主席蔣麗芸日前致電九巴董事長陳祖澤,建議開設一條廉價巴士專線,讓天水圍居民可以用較便宜車費前往元朗,她引述陳祖澤稱需要研究。蔣麗芸認為,政府可動用現時3億元的偏遠地區交通補助基金,將部分款項津貼九巴設立廉價專線。

倡用交通補助基金津貼九巴

早前到天水圍住了6晚的蔣麗芸說,現時天水圍出市區的交通負擔很重,「所以我跟陳祖澤說,是否一定要每條巴士線都賺錢?是否有些可以不用賺那麼多錢,或者是保本?」她稱,只要開一條較便宜的巴士專線,由天水圍到元朗,天水圍的市民已經很高興。

她說,現時申請政府低收入士偏遠地區跨區交通津貼的人數不多,當局大可撥部分錢直接津貼九巴,讓九巴可以設立廉價專線,希望政府能與九巴商討此事。

構思區內搞工廠銷售店

蔣麗芸又透露,正與工業界朋友研究能否在天水圍搞工廠銷售店(factory outlet),以廉價售賣一些名牌舊貨,配合濕地公園景點,吸引一些內地遊客。她說,前日與一班工業界朋友談及天水圍問題後,他們認為這個構思可以考慮,一來可增加天水圍就業機會,二來可增加遊客到天水圍的消費機會,她計劃下周帶這些朋友到天水圍察看,亦會考 慮是否邀請政府官員同行。

蔣麗芸說﹕「內地遊客都鍾意買名牌,但未必一定要最新的貨,如果是一些較便宜的舊款式,他們也會喜歡。如果做得好,可以開到約2000個就業機會,當然我們都希望政府在某方面作出鼓勵,例如地租等方面。」

Old November 13th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #550
hkskyline
Hong Kong

A Hong Kong bus in Australia by iczer3 from a Hong Kong transport forum :

Old November 13th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #551
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

^ I am not surprised to see an old HK bus in the foreign countries; but being kept the original paint, license plate, appearance and running in business, it's just weird.
Old November 13th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #552
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
^ I am not surprised to see an old HK bus in the foreign countries; but being kept the original paint, license plate, appearance and running in business, it's just weird.
I remember a couple of HK buses were sold to Australia and painted all red. Wonder why this one kept the CMB livery?

Old November 14th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #553
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By 1346 from a Hong Kong transport forum :

Old November 14th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #554
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By *~ Greenones ~* from a Hong Kong transport forum :

Old November 15th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #555
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By 小俊468 from a Hong Kong transport forum :

Old November 17th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #556
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By 里賈納 from a Hong Kong transport forum :

Old November 17th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #557
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Eh? I don't get the bus in Australi thing - what's going on there?
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #558
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Eh? I don't get the bus in Australi thing - what's going on there?
Some of the old non-AC CMB buses have been sold off to other countries as NWFB bought new buses, and a few wounded up in Australia. Some made their way back to the UK.

Old November 18th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #559
hkskyline
Hong Kong

KMB heir driven to share his wealth
18 November 2007
South China Morning Post

As the eldest grandson and heir of William Louey Sui-tak, Kowloon Motor Bus founder, William Louey Lai-kuen doesn't worry about short-term gains, like chasing overheated markets or betting on Hang Seng Index futures.

Though he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and is happy to admit it, he is a successful investor in his own right. He made a profit in his first investment in an oil stock when he was an 18-year-old student, and has subsequently made many profitable property deals in both Hong Kong and Britain.

Mr Louey's investment returns may have boosted him from first class to his own private jet, but he prefers to emphasise his charity fund, William SD Louey, named after his grandfather, which sponsors 35 talented mainland children to study at universities in the United States and Britain.

In business, Mr Louey has made movies - like the finale of Tsui Hark's A Chinese Ghost Story trilogy. He's also been a restaurateur, known for his famous eatery in Tsim Sha Tsui - Tartufo. Opened in 1989, it featured waiters and waitresses singing opera, and appeared in a number of Hong Kong movies. Though it lifted Mr Louey into the social elite, the restaurant finally closed in 1993, a victim of an inconvenient location and overspending on decorations, cutlery and high personnel cost for staffers capable of singing opera.

The failure of Tartufo did not discourage his entrepreneurial spirit. The 48-year-old accountancy graduate invested in and is now chairman of Hong Kong Construction (Technology). He is married with a daughter and a son.

Does being the heir of the founding family of The Kowloon Motor Bus Co affect your investment style? Are there any family rules on investments?

There are no house rules at home. Members of the family can each invest to fit their own style. I am most affected by my grandparents who always told me not to borrow too much money and not to take risks that are too great. As such, I am a very safe and long-term investor, not a speculator or a gambler. When I speak of the long term, I'm talking about a 10-year horizon.

When did you first start to invest and how successful were you?

When I was 18 and studying at university, one of my classmates was keen on investments and urged me to get into the stock market. We invested in an oil company, which had not yet discovered any oil. It was pretty risky, but the stock did well and we made a lot of money. But I seldom trade stocks because I do not want to gamble with my money.

Do you invest based on instinct, your own market analysis or the advice of professionals or even fortune tellers?

I do not rely on fortune telling. I am willing to pay for good experts to invest my money. I use Guggenheim Partners, the US financial services firm, to select hedge funds and set good investment policies for me. They are doing a very good job. The key to good investment returns is to get the best advice from the best professionals.

Do you think professionals know more than amateurs?

Of course. That's why they are called professionals. But some amateurs are not bad at investing and show some very good returns as well.

What is your current portfolio composed of?

I have hedge funds, some stock funds, foreign currencies and properties. In China, I have money in an exchange-traded fund which invests in the A-share tracker fund to chase the performance of the A-share market. These fund investments bring good returns and not too much risk.

In properties, I like UK commercial and residential properties in the best areas such as Knightsbridge, South Kensington and Belgravia in London. I like special houses that have historical meaning or a special design. I have just brought three recently and sold two. I like investments in art and I support some friends who are artists or run art galleries in New York.

What was your best investment decision?

It is my investment in people. My charity education fund William SD Louey has spent HK$60 million in the past 15 years to support 35 mainland students, mainly from Beijing, aged from 13 to 19, to study in the best schools and universities in the US and UK.

The return is so huge that you can not calculate it. My other good investments always have been properties. I purchased a deluxe house in Shouson Hill in Hong Kong 14 years ago and have sold recently it, doubling my purchase price.

What do you do when you have a windfall investment?

I always buy myself presents, even if my investments are not doing well!

What was your worst investment decision?

Can't think of many. I did invest in an Indonesia fund, which did not do well. I have also invested in stocks or properties at the wrong time, maybe not buying them at the cheapest price. But I could afford to wait until their prices go up. As a result, I could not say it was not a good investment.

The restaurant Tartufo lasted only about five years and lost about HK$10 million. But it was never aimed at making a profit but was more for fun.

How much do you contribute to charity?

I make a lot of regular donations. I give at least 30 per cent of my income every year to charity.

Do you think you are rich or poor?

I am happy with what I have. I have enough money to do what I want and I have enough money to help those I want to help.

Old November 19th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #560
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By 張伯 from a Hong Kong transport forum :