daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #601
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #602
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Fixed-sum rises urged for bus drivers
11 March 2008
South China Morning Post

Pay rises for bus drivers should be given in a fixed amount and not as a percentage, to narrow the income gap among the 4,000 drivers of New World First Bus and Citybus, two unions have said.

The drivers are paid differently according to when they were recruited and the new arrangement could help low-income drivers "catch up with the wages of the high earners", said the New World First Bus Company Staff Union and Citybus Ltd Employees Union - both controlled by the Confederation of Trade Unions.

Yesterday's suggestion contrasted with a proposal made in January by the Motor Transport Workers General Union - a group under the Federation of Trade Unions that represents all Kowloon Motor Bus drivers and half the 4,000-strong team from New World and Citybus - both owned by the New World group.

The FTU-affiliated union demanded pay rises of between 5 per cent and 7.5 per cent.

Mak Shiu-kei of the New World First Bus Company Staff Union said such a proposal would only intensify the income gap among drivers.

"A pay rise of 7.5 per cent means a lot more to the high earners than the low earners. In the end, the wealth gap gets worse."

He said including overtime, a driver hired during the low economic tide in 2003 could earn up to HK$7,000 a month less than others.

"The company should devise a pay scale where the low-earning drivers would be allowed to catch up with the wages of the high earners."

Tang Sin-hing, a Citybus representative from the CTU, agreed and also demanded that his employer extend the late-night shift allowance from shifts beyond 3am to all night bus routes beginning from midnight.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old March 14th, 2008, 05:58 AM   #603
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fromiphone/
Old March 15th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #604
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By 5480 from a Hong Kong transport forum :

Old March 15th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #605
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

That's a lot of 6C's, interestingly it's one of the buses I ride quite often when i'm in HK...

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #606
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
By 5480 from a Hong Kong transport forum :

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo
That's a lot of 6C's, interestingly it's one of the buses I ride quite often when i'm in HK...
I'm not sure if this is a good news or bad news to you two, as today (Mar 15, 2008) is the last day of mixture of A/C and Non-A/C bus service for KMB Route 6C. It will be fully A/C service from tomorrow.

KMB Press Release:
KMB Provides Full Air-conditioned Bus Service on Route 6C

Photo Link from HKiTalk for the last two Non-A/C buses GL390 and GK9710 service on KMB Route 6C, posted by S3N280_FX8032

Last edited by hkth; March 15th, 2008 at 06:56 PM.
hkth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #607
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkth View Post
I'm not sure if this is a good news or bad news to you two, as today (Mar 15, 2008) is the last day of mixture of A/C and Non-A/C bus service for KMB Route 6C. It will be fully A/C service from tomorrow.

KMB Press Release:
KMB Provides Full Air-conditioned Bus Service on Route 6C

Photo Link from HKiTalk for the last two Non-A/C buses GL390 and GK9710 service on KMB Route 6C, posted by S3N280_FX8032
I actually have relatives living on both ends of the line... lol

The days when I ride non A/C buses are almost gone. My mum always insists on waiting for a A/C bus... since we're in HK during the summer.

I went on one last summer and it was starting to show its age. I suppose personally, it's bittersweet, most of the lines that used to be non A/C are now A/C. Gone will be the days of the thin brown leather like seats with the thin chrome handle bars and the 3-2 bench seating on the upper decks... I actually like using it sometimes as it pulls in the warm winds... quite an interesting sensation.

Btw, do you know if KMB 7 and 72 still have non A/C? I ride those quite often too.

Last edited by gladisimo; March 18th, 2008 at 06:36 AM. Reason: put 70 when I meant 72
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:54 AM   #608
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Oh, I almost forgot. Anyone know if KMB sells their retired buses or scraps them?

BTW, 2,001st post

Old March 18th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #609
hkth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
I actually have relatives living on both ends of the line... lol
I think you could tell them to take the red minibus, as it is much faster due to it runs on the West Kowloon Corridor. Of course, you have to pay an almost double of the price (HK$ 8.5)!

Quote:
The days when I ride non A/C buses are almost gone. My mum always insists on waiting for a A/C bus... since we're in HK during the summer.

I went on one last summer and it was starting to show its age. I suppose personally, it's bittersweet, most of the lines that used to be non A/C are now A/C. Gone will be the days of the thin brown leather like seats with the thin chrome handle bars and the 3-2 bench seating on the upper decks... I actually like using it sometimes as it pulls in the warm winds... quite an interesting sensation.
You won't take those non-A/C buses by at most 2012, so those days will be gone then.

Quote:
Btw, do you know if KMB 7 and 72 still have non A/C? I ride those quite often too.
No more non-A/C buses for Route 7 since May 12 2007 and there're only 2 non-A/C buses for Route 72.

Quote:
Oh, I almost forgot. Anyone know if KMB sells their retired buses or scraps them?
Most probarbly scrap but some would sells and even maintain them, depends on the condition or maybe even for the historical reason. For example, KMB keeps the first successful on service A/C double-decker bus AL1.
Old March 20th, 2008, 04:35 AM   #610
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Just checked the KMB site. Apparently they recondition up to 80% of parts to use for spares, and scrap the rest.

You are so knowledgeable about buses, hkth!

http://www.kmb.hk/english.php?page=n...008020601.html

Old March 20th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #611
hkth

Quote:
Just checked the KMB site. Apparently they recondition up to 80% of parts to use for spares, and scrap the rest.

You are so knowledgeable about buses, hkth!

http://www.kmb.hk/english.php?page=n...008020601.html
You're too praising me as I just often visit the online bus forums! I don't really care about which license plate's bus runs on which route!
Old March 31st, 2008, 04:20 PM   #612
hkth

Nightmare for KMB! 10 buses were burnt in Tin Shui Wai and around 6 to 8 of them have to be scapped early!

Photo Links from Discuss.com.hk and HKiTalk:

On the Fire:

Fire at 0100

Aftermath:
Link 1

Link 2

-- Oh, Man!
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:37 PM   #613
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

How does the guy on link 2 know exactly which buses got burned?!

And is there a news piece on it? Was it arson?

edit, took a quick glimpse, I guess not?

Old March 31st, 2008, 07:40 PM   #614
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

九巴10輛巴士燒毀
(明報) 03月 31日 星期一 01:15PM

九巴在天水圍的露天停車場,凌晨近1時有10輛雙層巴士起火,火勢猛烈,多次傳出爆炸聲。

消防員出動5條喉將火救熄,認為起火原因無可疑,相信是機件過熱引起。事件中無人受傷。

http://hk.news.yahoo.com/080331/12/2rj54.html

Old April 1st, 2008, 06:52 AM   #615
hkskyline
Hong Kong

^ not arson.

Old April 1st, 2008, 08:01 AM   #616
hkth

Quote:
How does the guy on link 2 know exactly which buses got burned?!
From the license plates on the bus. There are webpages for which license plate posted on which bus.

Quote:
And is there a news piece on it? Was it arson?

edit, took a quick glimpse, I guess not?
Just short-circuited of the electric wires with the full-loaded in the fuel tank caused this big accident.

Last edited by hkth; April 1st, 2008 at 02:19 PM.
hkth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #617
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Smart air conditioning sensors make KMB buses go green
24 March 2008
South China Morning Post

Kowloon Motor Bus is determined to keep its cool when it comes to the environment.

All of its 3,600 air-conditioned buses now have sensors that fine-tune the inside temperature in response to the atmosphere outside.

The sensors save fuel as air conditioning is used only when it is needed.

Principal engineer Shum Yuet-hung said the cabin temperature was affected by the number of passengers, the air flow at bus stops and the temperature difference between inside and outside.

"The ambient sensor fine-tunes the temperature in the bus automatically to suit different cooling requirements based on the temperature difference," he said. "It enables the air-conditioning system to adjust its cooling according to actual needs and this helps save energy."

Mr Shum said fuel consumption increased 1 per cent when the outside temperature increased by one degree Celsius.

"If the air conditioning is set at a certain degree and does not change, energy will be wasted in cool weather."

KMB sets its air conditioning at 23 degrees and the humidity level at 40 per cent to 70 per cent.

The bus company said the device came into its own in spring, autumn and on rainy days, when there were big temperature differences between day and night.

The sensor aims to keep the temperature inside the bus at between 22.5 degrees and 25.5 degrees, depending on the temperature outside.

KMB introduced an enhanced air-conditioning system in 2005, which includes the ambient sensors.

The system's "intelligent" temperature control makes adjustments every four seconds.

Old April 13th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #618
hkskyline
Hong Kong

兩巴工會要求加薪7%
12/04/2008
東方日報

【 本 報 訊 】 汽 車 交 通 運 輸 業 總 工 會 新 巴 及 城 巴 分 會 , 昨 與 資 方 展 開 本 年 第 一 次 討 論薪 酬 會 議 , 工 會 要 求 員 工 劃 一 加 薪 百 分 之 七 , 以 追 上 通 脹 ; 而 新 巴 及 城 巴 發 言 人 回應 員 方 要 求 的 加 幅 是 非 常 高 , 又 指 加 薪 要 考 慮 經 營 環 境 、 通 脹 、 油 價 和 票 價 等 多 項因 素 , 若 營 運 成 本 無 惡 化 , 員 工 可 獲 某 幅 度 加 薪 。 另 外 , 港 鐵 三 個 工 會 指 , 若 資 方不 恢 復 早 前 被 削 減 的 員 工 福 利 , 不 排 除 按 章 工 作 。

汽 車 交 通 運 輸 業 總 工會 新 世 界 巴 士 分 會 主 任 朱 本 典 形 容 , 會 面 氣 氛 較 去 年 好 , 四 月 底 或 五 月 初 會 再 開 會商 討 細 節 。 城 巴 分 會 主 任 鄧 偉 昌 說 , 資 方 派 發 人 力 資 源 學 會 文 件 , 指 市 場 普 遍 加 薪百 分 之 四 , 要 求 他 們 務 實 一 點 及 向 會 員 講 解 情 況 。

另 外 , 港 鐵 三 個 工 會昨 共 同 指 摘 資 方 將 員 工 每 年 最 高 的 休 假 上 限 , 由 原 來 的 一 百 零 四 日 , 大 幅 縮 減 至 六十 五 日 , 更 將 沿 用 二 十 多 年 、 每 日 設 三 十 分 鐘 有 薪 休 息 時 間 , 改 為 三 十 分 鐘 無 薪 午飯 時 間 , 估 計 受 影 響 員 工 約 有 一 千 三 百 多 人 。

港 鐵 三 工 會 不 滿 縮 休 假
香 港 鐵 路 職 員 工 會 主 席 藍 坤 銳 估 計 , 現 設 三 十 分 鐘 無 薪 午 飯 時 間 , 令 司 機 月 入 少 一千 多 元 , 受 影 響 職 員 已 有 限 度 按 章 工 作 , 稍 後 會 考 慮 到 運 輸 局 及 立 法 會 抗 議 。

工 聯 會 權 益 委 員 會 主 任 葉 偉 明 直 斥 港 鐵 講 一 套 做 一 套 , 員 工 協 助 順 利 過 渡 後 過 橋 抽 板 , 管 方 更 改 輪 更 制 會 影 響 員 工 作 息 時 間 , 亦 影 響 行 車 安 全 。

他 直 言 若 管 方 不 與 員 工 直 接 對 話 , 不 論 溫 和 或 激 烈 的 行 動 都 會 採 取 。

Old April 16th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #619
hkskyline
Hong Kong

LCQ2: Emissions from franchised buses
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Government Press Release

Following is a question by the Hon Martin Lee Chu-ming, and a written reply by the Secretary for the Environment, Mr Edward Yau, in the Legislative Council today (April 16):

Question:

Regarding emissions from franchised buses, will the Government inform this Council:

(a) of the number of buses in the fleet of each franchised bus company, broken down by the emission standards which they meet;

(b) of the respective average numbers of buses, deployed daily by each franchised bus company to ply the routes passing Hennessy Road, Queensway, Des Voeux Road Central or Nathan Road, which only meet the pre-Euro and Euro I emission standards;

(c) of the current number of buses which are over 17 years old in the fleet of each franchised bus company; and whether the Government has a policy for phasing out such buses as early as possible; if so, of the details of the policy; if not, the reasons for that;

(d) whether it has calculated the quantities of various types of air pollutants emitted by franchised buses meeting various emission standards; if it has, of the results of the calculation; and

(e) whether it has studied the feasibility of designating "low emission zones" in Hong Kong, where no pre-Euro and Euro I buses, which have higher emissions, are allowed to ply; if it has, of the outcome of the study; if not, the reasons for that?

Reply:

Madam President,

(a) As at end 2007, the numbers of franchised buses in each of the franchised bus companies broken down by emission standards are given in Table 1 of the Annex.

(b) As at end 2007, the numbers of pre-Euro and Euro I franchised buses of each of the franchised bus companies plying along Hennessy Road, Queensway, Des Voeux Road Central or Nathan Road, are given in Table 2 of the Annex.

(c) At present, there are no buses over 17 years old in the franchised bus fleet.

Franchised bus companies have all along run franchised bus services with buses not exceeding 17 years old. According to the Public Bus Services Ordinance, Chapter 230, a franchised bus company shall submit to the Commissioner for Transport each year a "Forward Planning Programme", which contains a programme for the scrapping of buses that are unfit for use, and for the purchase of new buses. The Commissioner for Transport, when considering the "Forward Planning Programme" including the programme for scrapping buses that are unfit for use, shall ensure that the franchised bus company is able to maintain a proper and efficient public bus service.

(d) In 2006, the emissions of nitrogen oxides, respirable suspended particulates, volatile organic compounds and carbon monoxide from franchised buses were about 2,120 tonnes, 100 tonnes, 100 tonnes and 350 tonnes respectively. The franchised bus emissions, broken down by emission standards, are given in Table 3 of the Annex.

(e) The Government will study the feasibility of designating "low emission zones" that deny access to pre-Euro and Euro I buses and their effectiveness in improving roadside air quality.

At present, about one-third of the existing franchised bus fleet are of pre-Euro or Euro I models. In Yau Ma Tei, Tsim Sha Tsui, Mong Kok, Causeway Bay and other busy districts, a lot of people commute in and out. They are also the main service areas of franchised bus services. In considering restricting older buses from entering into these districts, the Government needs to examine carefully the impacts of the restriction on the overall road traffic network, the public transport services, as well as on passengers.

The Government also needs to study carefully whether deploying all pre-Euro or Euro I buses to operate outside the "low emission zones" will shift the roadside air pollution problem to areas which are currently unaffected, or worsen their current situation.

Tables : http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/2...0804160244.htm

Old April 17th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #620
hkth

I can't believe Martin Lee would ask such question for HK!

Back to the topic, these Euro II standard NWFB and Citybus buses now emits in Euro IV standard after re-equip the new Selective Catalytic Reduction (“SCR”) technology. Those old buses now emits less exhaustion. Of course, I do want the two buses companies, especially for the Citybus, can replace the old buses into new one.