daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #641
ER_441

Likes (Received): 0

With the escalating fuel prices, I guess it's time for the Bus Operators in HK to start hiking their fares since it's been almost 10 years since they ever had a major fare hike.

Since I have visited back in 2000 and 2007, I see no difference in the fares, other than that there are more all-AC routes on KMB.
ER_441 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #642
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18133

HK experienced a long deflationary spiral as a result of the Asian financial crisis, so the price falls were expected until last year, when the economy picked up and, all of a sudden, the basic necessities all got much more expensive.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #643
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/avw24/

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #644
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Gov't Press Release:
Executive Council approves bus fare increases
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:36 AM   #645
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Likes (Received): 10

sorry guys for interrupting the topic... i couldn't read all threads you've opened for hk... but i'm interested are there any maps of bus networks in hk? maybe someone did it unofficially?

and i was curious about number of lines that serve in hk area, just to compare it with my town
DJZG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:54 PM   #646
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJZG View Post
sorry guys for interrupting the topic... i couldn't read all threads you've opened for hk... but i'm interested are there any maps of bus networks in hk? maybe someone did it unofficially?

and i was curious about number of lines that serve in hk area, just to compare it with my town
Unfortunately, HK's bus operators do not have bus maps of all their routes. However, their websites show detailed bus stop listings.

Old May 21st, 2008, 02:11 PM   #647
hkth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJZG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Unfortunately, HK's bus operators do not have bus maps of all their routes. However, their websites show detailed bus stop listings.
Not really, Kowloon Motor Bus (KMB) did published a bus map called KMB Bus Guide (九巴版圖) in 2006. Unfortunately, this Guide is only in Traditional Chinese and the data is rather outdated.

There are over 400 bus routes in HK and bus service 24 hours a day, where there are some "N" routes serve around midnight to 0530.
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:47 PM   #648
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

And the book of street map usually does include bus route information inside as well.

Centamap (http://www.centamap.com) does not show route information, but have detailed bus stops information available online.

I always thought if someone can come up with about a system wide bus map for HK.
However, if you think about it in details, it is quite difficult to create one when you have so many numbers of routes run along the same road on every street in HK. You can't distinguish all the route the overlapping each other and overwhelmed by available information. Turns out the map is kind of useless.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:31 PM   #649
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

true that lots of lines and numbers can be confusing... but when i saw london bus map divided by terminals, then i thought if they can do it, then everyone can

tell me, how does people in hk find correct way from point A to point B if they don't know bus lines well? are there any detailed information on bus stops or everyone just get used to go with lines they already knew...
in my city, Zagreb, there are around 120 lines, and they are all divided by terminals located on various side of cities, so even foreigner can decide where to go at least by orientation.... well, there is a bus and tram map but it doesn't really help cause it's pretty inaccurate...

you hk forumers should divide into sectors or regions, draw something detailed, in large resolution, and present us non hk residents to see
Old May 25th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #650
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
tell me, how does people in hk find correct way from point A to point B if they don't know bus lines well? are there any detailed information on bus stops or everyone just get used to go with lines they already knew...
People are usually savvy to all the lines they use most often throughout their daily lives. For the internet users, KMB has a route searcher availble on their website.

For visitors, bus stops usually have information boxes with route maps, timetable, and fare information for most of the lines, and connections are provided by large maps in MTR stations.

If nothing else, one can always ask a bus stopping to see if they pass by where they want to go, and if it doesn't, the bus driver is usually knowledgeable enough to tell you which route to take.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #651
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
For visitors, bus stops usually have information boxes with route maps, timetable, and fare information for most of the lines, and connections are provided by large maps in MTR stations.
i'm planning trip to HK in a few months... tell me, those large maps, are they possible to buy somewhere i want one for my room wall

i guess people get used to their usual routine, and those lines they drive, i think that is the case in every town with his home population...
and i think no city transport is hard to memorize if you live in town long enough to learn...
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #652
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Not sure about that, I'm not in HK atm so I can't check for you, but those large maps are not large maps of Hong Kong, but are really big maps of the immediate area to show you where the station exits are and where bus stops, buildings, etc are, so they're different for every station.

Here's one I found of TST

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #653
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
true that lots of lines and numbers can be confusing... but when i saw london bus map divided by terminals, then i thought if they can do it, then everyone can

in my city, Zagreb, there are around 120 lines, and they are all divided by terminals located on various side of cities, so even foreigner can decide where to go at least by orientation.... well, there is a bus and tram map but it doesn't really help cause it's pretty inaccurate...

you hk forumers should divide into sectors or regions, draw something detailed, in large resolution, and present us non hk residents to see
Well... in Hong Kong, terminus outside downtown or railroad stations also always has number of routes running from the outside terminus to various prime locations.

There is no system wide map, but there are schematic single route map with stop, schedule and fare information posted at each bus stop.

Or you can purchase a street map for various areas (usually only Hong Kong Island, Kowloon Peninsular, the eastern NT, the western NT or outlying islands). They are street map with bus route information, but doesn't colour the specific route for you, only has the numbers scattered all over the map.
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #654
hkth

Gov't Press Release:
LCQ8: Buses and Bus Route Development Programme
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #655
hkth

Perhaps you guys may read the info from the Wikipedia for more info for HK's bus service which were written by the bus fans.
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #656
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkth View Post
Perhaps you guys may read the info from the Wikipedia for more info for HK's bus service which were written by the bus fans.

i did some year ago
i was just asking some of my stupid questions, so topic won't get to second page :P

@gladisimo... thanks, i understand what kind of maps you talk about... something like just neighborhood roads and some famous buildings... all in all, nothing special...

well, i guess, hk bus map will have to wait for better times
just don't force me to do it by myself, cause i'll go nuts searching for bus lines
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:18 AM   #657
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Some map books also include have transport guides showing bus stops, while the maps themselves display routes using particular roads.

Old May 30th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #658
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Bus firms plan to drop routes
Hong Kong Standard
Friday, May 30, 2008

Five bus companies are planning to cut or reduce the frequency on 43 bus routes by early 2009, citing rising fuel costs and tough competition from railways.

"There has been a continuous decline in passenger demand for Kowloon Motor Bus in recent years," Secretary for Transport and Housing Eva Cheng Yu-wah said in response to a query from lawmaker Andrew Cheng Kar-foo over the state of franchised buses.

She added the Transport Department has been looking into ways to enhance network efficiency to meet demand and to relieve traffic congestion.

Unionist legislator Leung Yiu- chung accused the bus companies of cutting the routes to pressure the public and the government to justify an increase in fares.

"Passengers will suffer the most. It also means they may have to take more expensive public transport like the MTR or minibus," Leung said.

A spokeswoman for New World First Bus - which also owns Citybus - said heavy competition from the MTR had started a downward trend in passenger numbers, while KMB said the company and this year's rationalization of routes were heavily affected by rising fuel costs.

A Transport Department spokesman said the proposed route cancelations are still being reviewed by the department and relevant district councils.

For the 12 routes proposed to be cut, KMB is proposing to retire Kowloon route 82M by June and route 277 serving the New Territories this month, while its shared Sha Tin route 807 with Citybus will be suspended by February.

New World First Bus is planning to cancel its Hong Kong Island routes 46X, 63, 309, 315 and 399 by July, citing low patronage.

Citybus is proposing to cancel its Hong Kong Island route 12 by this year's second quarter and route 61 by August, along with routes M47 and E23P by July. According to KMB, the daily average of passenger trips in 2002 was 3.11 million when the MTR's Tseung Kwan O extension was finished, dropping to 2.9 million in 2004 and to 2.76 million last year.

Old June 8th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #659
hkskyline
Hong Kong

( Right click for source )

Old June 11th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #660
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Bus firms may cut jobs in face of rising costs
Redundancy option under fire

5 June 2008
South China Morning Post

New World First Bus and sister company Citybus say they may be forced to lay off staff in the face of soaring fuel costs, a disappointing fare rise and a pay claim from their workers that they cannot afford.

A spokeswoman for the operators said they were under huge stress from fuel prices and a 5 to 7 per cent pay rise sought by the bus unions was beyond their capability. She said 3 per cent was the most they could afford.

The stance was immediately slammed by unionist lawmaker Wong Kwok-hing who said the operators were displaying an "angry face" to the staff and the public and were not being socially responsible.

And a union said it would be unfair to sack staff as they were not to blame for the rising fuel prices.

The company's warning came after the Executive Council last month approved fare rises ranging from 2 per cent to 7.24 per cent for five bus operators - Kowloon Motor Bus, Long Win Bus, New Lantao Bus, New World First Bus and Citybus on its island and cross-harbour routes.

All five expressed disappointment saying the approved increases were lower than they had demanded.

Yesterday the First Bus and Citybus spokeswoman said the companies would keep losing money even after the fare rise takes effect on Sunday.

They would actively consider cutting money-losing routes and cutting the frequency on others, and would not rule out the possibility of axing staff.

A spokesman for the New World First Bus Company Staff Union, Chung Chung-fai, said it would be unfair to sack staff in these circumstances. "Why should we be held responsible for expensive fuel?" Mr Chung asked. "If the company had to cut bus routes which are losing money or to avoid overlapping of bus routes, then, we think it would be fair to sack staff. But this is not the case," he said.

Mr Chung said the company has raised the possibility of layoffs during the pay negotiations.

"But the company also told us that they were considering a series of measures to lighten the financial burden imposed by the rising fuel costs."

The Citybus Employees Union said it was regrettable that the company had publicised its call for acceptance of a 3 per cent pay rise before negotiations were complete.

Meanwhile, Chiang Chi-wai, chairman of the Lok Ma Chau-Hong Kong Freight Association, said more than 500 drivers of various kinds of vehicles from 20 organisations would join a protest by blocking roads next Tuesday to demand the government reduce fuel tax.

"We might do the protest in Central, Tseung Kwan O or Kwai Chung. We have not decided yet. We want the government to help lighten our burden, as we are hit hard by the rising fuel prices already and the fuel tax makes our lives more difficult," he said.

Protesters would include drivers of trucks and minibuses.