daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2010, 05:33 AM   #61
intervention
planning inaction

So do tell me about what kind of economic effect...? Pilgrims? Pensioners who will be drawn to the statue?

I realize it's made by private funds. Obviously people in Swiedodzin haven't anything better to spend their money on; I'd much rather invest into something tangible like real estate but whatever...
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #62
drowningman666

Likes (Received): 412

That's true, all of these people have right to spend their money on their dreams, but they don't have right to change whole landscape with this enormous caricature of Jesus. IMHO they are much closer to the pagans since they don't adore real Jesus but this ugly concrete statue
Old October 28th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #63
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5444

Quote:
Originally Posted by intervention View Post
So do tell me about what kind of economic effect...? Pilgrims? Pensioners who will be drawn to the statue?

I realize it's made by private funds. Obviously people in Swiedodzin haven't anything better to spend their money on; I'd much rather invest into something tangible like real estate but whatever...
Pilgrims, tourists, anyone really, it's a small town so whilst it's not the aim I bet that the limited money they put into this will be returned over the line of the project, probably many, many times which in turn will allow the local church to do more and more good. Besides, you aren't going to buy any realestate if you give the builders a few bob to help, most likely you'd blow that money on something minor, ie smokes or alcohol or a coffee, so at least instead of that they can have something of note.
Old October 28th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #64
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowningman666 View Post
That's true, all of these people have right to spend their money on their dreams, but they don't have right to change whole landscape with this enormous caricature of Jesus. IMHO they are much closer to the pagans since they don't adore real Jesus but this ugly concrete statue
Well whether you like it or not is subject, it's a matter of taste, I happen to think it's a particularly well done version of Jesus, nice sweeping curves on the robe, well proportioned, compare it to some others and I think it's a very good interpretaion.

And anyway it's just a statue, it's not an idol, it's a symbol, no one worships the statue.
Old October 29th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #65
Deo
You know...

Likes (Received): 439

http://www.pomnikchrystusakrola.pl/

Deo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #66
חבר1.0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post
mosques are more useful than giant status of people you worship.
They're not more useful if you are not a Muslim.
חבר1.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #67
tinoco

Likes (Received): 0

Well... are there more muslims, atheists or christians in Poland?
tinoco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 04:10 PM   #68
im_from_zw038
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

A person without a religion is no Atheďst, dude.....
im_from_zw038 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #69
Gloin

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinoco View Post
Well... are there more muslims, atheists or christians in Poland?
More than 95% of Polish are Catholics. However, this includes also people who are ateists, as well as those who simply don't go to church (who either still consider themselves faithful or just don't think about religion). It's because not many people care about formally leaving the Church due to the beaurocratic procedures and the tradition. In fact, truly faithful (going to church every Sunday) is 30-40% of the society. The figure has been on the decrease ever since a collapse of the communism.
Gloin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #70
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

They did it!

Head and torso are up!!!

Last edited by Locke; November 6th, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
Locke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #71
WB2010

Likes (Received): 1789

This figure is great, really great and when illuminated at night it looks very impressive. And to me it's a great victory of the faith of all the people who contributed to the construction of this huge figure. I hope that it will be well visible from the nearby future S3 expressway and A2 motorway and will be a clear sign that religion is still important in Poland.
WB2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #72
_Mort_
BANNED

Cool
_Mort_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #73
drowningman666

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB2010 View Post
This figure is great, really great and when illuminated at night it looks very impressive. And to me it's a great victory of the faith of all the people who contributed to the construction of this huge figure. I hope that it will be well visible from the nearby future S3 expressway and A2 motorway and will be a clear sign that religion is still important in Poland.
if religion were important, then people would know that there is no place for such a statues
Old November 7th, 2010, 12:13 AM   #74
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Quote:
if religion were important, then people would know that there is no place for such a statues
They are not mutually exclusive. No harm in building a statue.
Old November 7th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #75
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2895

That's great! Looks better than i thought it could look!

Quote:
not really. So yu claim that a huge Christ is a symbol of atheism? A statue like that is a sign of the religion. Without it there would be no point to build it.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #76
drowningman666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
They are not mutually exclusive. No harm in building a statue.
there is no harm, but these people showed that they don't care much about basic christian rules that God taught us in the Bible so they don't have right to call this statue an act of faith, in the Bible there is clearly declared that God doesn't want people to build big monuments, statues, when we follow these rules, then we show our piety, so i don't see any reason to put up such a structures, i think that they should spend money on their fellows, not on concrete

Last edited by drowningman666; November 7th, 2010 at 12:28 AM.
drowningman666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #77
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
not really. So yu claim that a huge Christ is a symbol of atheism? A statue like that is a sign of the religion. Without it there would be no point to build it.
It's a symbol of bad taste and provincial show-off with religion as a pretext.
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 01:46 AM   #78
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloin View Post
More than 95% of Polish are Catholics. However, this includes also people who are ateists, as well as those who simply don't go to church (who either still consider themselves faithful or just don't think about religion). It's because not many people care about formally leaving the Church due to the beaurocratic procedures and the tradition. In fact, truly faithful (going to church every Sunday) is 30-40% of the society. The figure has been on the decrease ever since a collapse of the communism.
I think it's a bit higher than 30-40%. Poland still has full churches on most Sundays unlike western European countries that have turned away from their Christian roots. Poland will in my prediction be the last remaining Christian nation in Europe. Times will be interesting.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #79
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4543

I hope not, at least Romania might remain Christian longer than us... or you mean Roman Catholic
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 01:37 AM   #80
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Quote:
there is no harm, but these people showed that they don't care much about basic christian rules that God taught us in the Bible so they don't have right to call this statue an act of faith, in the Bible there is clearly declared that God doesn't want people to build big monuments, statues, when we follow these rules, then we show our piety, so i don't see any reason to put up such a structures, i think that they should spend money on their fellows, not on concrete
This isn't an idol, so it's not against the Bible at all, there are statutes, paintings artworks etc all over the world big and small, it's not some sin to actually have a symbol of your faith.

As for the cost, it cost 900 000 euro, the price of a 2 bedroom apartment in central London, all I might add *private* donations by people who want to see this built because it gives them happiness. Compare that to the trillions spends on global military budgets and I wonder why you don't complain in Air Force threads about how many people could be fed for the cost of a F-22 fighter jet or Eurofighter, which after all are built with *public* money.

Tags
monument