daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2009, 04:13 AM   #1
wdw35

Likes (Received): 0

What is the most impressive motorway you've driven on?

Some of us may like coastal motorways... or it may be tunnel-viaduct-tunnel for some... then for some it may be crazy urban motorways... or yet 10-lane suburban sweet hilly freeways.

What is the most impressive (for you) *motorway* you've driven on - and why? If you want to create a top 3 motorways you like - even better!
Note: you must have driven on it to qualify!

Last edited by wdw35; February 14th, 2009 at 12:53 AM.
wdw35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #2
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Struma, of course ... Oh wait, I didn't drive on it yet . Sure feels like I did though, with all the discussions and picture analyses...

Now for the serious answer:

1. Brenner Motorway, Innsbruck - Bolzano: fantastic scenery and lots of tunnels, as well as the Europabrucke.
2. A1 Croatia, Zagreb - Split: the climb from Zadar to Sv.Rok Tunnel is something that I haven't seen anywhere else, the Maslenica and Krka bridges are also impressive.
3. Genova - Nice, for the nice median with mediterranean flowers.
4. Belluno - Treviso, for the nice big viaduct.
5. Napoli - Salerno (and perhaps further south)
6. Finally the A4 Mestre - Milano, impressive for its 2x3 (or more) lanes all the way and those Autogrills (Italian top rest area restaurant company) suspended over it.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #3
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

In no particular order:

Highway 1 through Banff Park. Scenery is gorgeous.

Highway 5 between Kamloops and Hope. The Alpine road engineering is impressive. You feel surreal zooming through remote mountains.

Some of the viaducts around Napoli...that's quite the view.

The tollway between Longyan and Xiamen in Fujian province, China. They built viaducts straight through lush valleys. It's an environmental crime, but beautiful for drivers.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #4
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I can't think of a whole list of motorways, but I think the most beautiful motorway for me is the Brenner motorway.
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

I would have to say the N2 freeway in Cape Town, between its eastern terminus in Somerset West and Cape Town CBD. This one morning while on holiday in Cape Town, my dad and I were running late (due to me oversleeping) for meeting someone in the CBD. We were staying in Gordon's Bay at the time, so I said I would drive. Got onto the N2, which has a speed limit of 120 km/h until about Mowbray and then 80 km/h the rest of the way in, and maintained a good 140 km/h for most of the route. We ended up getting there early.

Anyway, what makes this freeway so great is the view of Table Mountain as you're driving towards the city. Of course, you'll get that on any of Cape Town's freeways, but something about the N2 strikes me as different. I think it's the way the innermost section (Eastern Boulevard) kind of snakes its way through the inner eastern suburbs, whereas the innermost section of the N1 was built on reclaimed land, and the innermost section of the M3 follows the contours along the base of the mountain, so they aren't as interesting.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #6
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

Tricky choice. I think mountain motorways do it for me

1. A75 Clermont-Ferrand - Béziers (France)
2. A2 Luzern - Bellinzona (Switzerland)
3. B-20 Barcelona (Spain)
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #7
seawastate

Likes (Received): 1

There are two Interstates which I would nominate.

1) Interstate 70 through Glenwood Canyon
image hosted on flickr

2) Interstate 90 through the Cascade Mountains
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
seawastate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #8
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

I really liked Antwerpen ring road
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #9
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

The Struma motorway and the motorway Slovenian border - Ljubliana had the best asphalt. It´s aobut which was the most impressive motorway, not which landscape next to the motroway was most impressive.
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #10
LT1550

Likes (Received): 2

Until now it must be:

I-80 between San Francisco and Sacramento
TF-1/5 on Tenerife island
GC-1 on Gran Canaria island

...when we talk about motorways. But I have driven on much more impressive highways which are not motorways.

Last edited by LT1550; February 13th, 2009 at 11:50 PM.
LT1550 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #11
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Yeah, me too. The most beautiful roads I've driven on:
1. Richardson Hwy, AK, USA
2. Parks Hwy, AK, USA
3. Glenn Hwy, AK, USA
4. All roads I've driven on my way to Glacier, MT, USA
5. US 395 Spokane-Canada, WA, USA
Old February 13th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #12
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosteve View Post
I would have to say the N2 freeway in Cape Town, between its eastern terminus in Somerset West and Cape Town CBD. This one morning while on holiday in Cape Town, my dad and I were running late (due to me oversleeping) for meeting someone in the CBD. We were staying in Gordon's Bay at the time, so I said I would drive. Got onto the N2, which has a speed limit of 120 km/h until about Mowbray and then 80 km/h the rest of the way in, and maintained a good 140 km/h for most of the route. We ended up getting there early.

Anyway, what makes this freeway so great is the view of Table Mountain as you're driving towards the city. Of course, you'll get that on any of Cape Town's freeways, but something about the N2 strikes me as different. I think it's the way the innermost section (Eastern Boulevard) kind of snakes its way through the inner eastern suburbs, whereas the innermost section of the N1 was built on reclaimed land, and the innermost section of the M3 follows the contours along the base of the mountain, so they aren't as interesting.
Definitely agree there.

My list, apart from the above, would be:
  • The N1 between Paarl and Worcester - you head through the Huguenot Tunnel, come out on the other side, and you're in a narrow river valley surrounded on all sides by mountains.
  • The N1 through the Soutpansberg mountains north of Louis Trichardt, for very similar reasons.
  • The short double-decker section of the M1 in Johannesburg.
  • A short 5km section of N2 immediately to the west of the Storms River Bridge - cuts through a natural forest, it's like driving through a green tunnel.
  • Outside of South Africa, I found some sections of the Sydney-Newcastle freeway very spectacular.

Not all of the above are freeways though, but were definitely worth mentioning.
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #13
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

1. A40 France: Near Nantua, it's gorgeous!
2. E60 Switzerland: Near St. Gallen, also beautiful
3. E35 Switzerland: Near Lugano.
4. E80 Italy: Genova Ring.
5. E25 Belgium: Liegé, nice ring road. Sad of the huge traffic jams during the summerholidays.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #14
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
1. A40 France: Near Nantua, it's gorgeous!
Agree! Surprisingly, I only noticed it when I drove there for the second time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish2 View Post
The Struma motorway and the motorway Slovenian border - Ljubliana had the best asphalt.
Slovenian border with which country, Croatia? A2 Zagreb - Ljubljana?

As for the smoothest pavement; by far the smoothest asphalt I've driven on (don't know, if it's still so smooth) was on the 'new' 8-lane Italian motorway A4 Bergamo - Milano, but not entire length; maybe also just in one direction, I don't remember.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #15
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Agree! Surprisingly, I only noticed it when I drove there for the second time.

Slovenian border with which country, Croatia? A2 Zagreb - Ljubljana?

As for the smoothest pavement; by far the smoothest asphalt I've driven on (don't know, if it's still so smooth) was on the 'new' 8-lane Italian motorway A4 Bergamo - Milano, but not entire length; maybe also just in one direction, I don't remember.
Ofcourse Croatian border, extremly smooth continuous asphalt with no bumps for lots of kilometers.
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #16
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

italian A10, although i know there are nicer motorways in the world. it is great because of intensity of objects, but road itself is not impressiv that much.
smoothest roads are so subjective. as the smoothest one i remember A9 in France between Narbonne and Perpignan, but is was years ago. who knows would it impress me now again.
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #17
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2267

Italian A22 is the most impressive motorway I've ever driven on.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #18
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 892

STRUMA!

Really, the Portuguese A23.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #19
wdw35

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish2 View Post
The Struma motorway and the motorway Slovenian border - Ljubliana had the best asphalt. It´s aobut which was the most impressive motorway, not which landscape next to the motroway was most impressive.
Radii, that should be the topic of another thread, I guess - the motorway which you appreciate most from a quality point of view; and smooth asphalt is only a small part of the quality of a motorway... or it may not be at all - I love concrete motorways much more than asphalt ones.

My thought when starting this thread was that the enjoyability of driving on a motorway is the result of many factors, not only motorway quality (or, why not, lack of quality: maybe some of us find it more "interesting"/"challenging" to drive on non-conform motorways than on boring smooth motorways ), but its surroundings, its traffic levels and many others - even subjective happenings one may have had when driving there (after all, it's, obviously, a subjective answer that all of us are giving to this question).
wdw35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #20
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

The Dutch A4 from Leiden to Amsterdam is also interesting, first you drive on a very old alignment stretch with 4 lanes without a shoulder, then it suddenly widens to a full-scale 10 lane freeway... really cool transition.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote