daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM   #201
way of thinking

Likes (Received): 3

The first three artworks for the future BBI are chosen:

Gadget - by Olaf Nicolai (will be realized around a jetbridge with red and white balls)

Magic Carpet - by Pae White (56 x 42 meters, above the check in area in the terminal)

Sterntaler - by Stoebo (on the floor of the arrivals area, showing coins)

Copyright: Berliner Flughäfen

Images in high resolution: http://www.berlin-airport.de/downloa...l_PK_17092010/

Last edited by way of thinking; September 21st, 2010 at 10:48 AM.
way of thinking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2010, 04:30 PM   #202
Tricky

Likes (Received): 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by way of thinking View Post
The first three artworks for the future BBI are chosen:
Magic Carpet - by Pae White (56 x 42 meters, above the check in area in the terminal)
I reckon the red 'Magic Carpet' is going to look unreal.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 01:41 AM   #203
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4266

Nice artwork. I like.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:17 PM   #204
Tricky

'World Routes' coming to Berlin in 2011

The world’s largest air transport networking event is coming to Germany for the first time / New Capital City Airport BBI to be introduced to international travel industry

There is now only one year to go before World Routes, the most important aviation forum in the world, comes to Berlin. The industry has just come together at the 16th World Route Development Forum (World Routes) in Vancouver, Canada, and the event closed with the baton being officially handed over to Berlin Airports. The 17th World Routes will take place from 2 to 4 October 2011 in Berlin – and for the first time ever in Germany.

Klaus Wowereit, Governing Mayor of Berlin said: “I am very much looking forward to welcoming World Routes to the German capital. It is a fantastic opportunity to introduce Berlin to the world and above all to present the new Willy Brandt Airport to the trade public in the year before it opens.”

Nigel Mayes, Managing Director of Routes said: “Over the coming year, we will continue to develop the event, bringing together more airports, airlines, tourism authorities and stakeholders, whilst focusing on delivering an even greater variety of in-depth route development meetings. We are now looking forward to bringing World Routes back to Europe after two years in Asia and one in North America, and we are certain that Berlin – as the exciting and dynamic destination it is, and with its spectacular new airport – will be a great host city for our 17th World Route Development Forum.”

Prof. Dr. Rainer Schwarz, CEO of Berlin Airports noted: “BBI will be one of the most modern airports in Europe and will provide the German capital region with the capacity it requires for the coming decades. This will make Berlin the ideal gateway for new intercontinental routes to Europe. With World Routes in Berlin, the international travel industry will have the opportunity to form their own impression of the new Capital City Airport BBI before it opens.”

Burkhard Kieker, CEO of visitBerlin commented: “When BBI Airport opens next year it will give new impetus to Berlin’s tourism industry. But a city also needs a special appeal if it wants to introduce new routes. Berlin offers an array of attractions for tourists as well as business people – from world-class museums and a booming creative scene to its legendary nightlife and outstanding conference facilities.”

Dr. Manfred A. Körtgen said: “When World Routes comes to Berlin, most of the buildings at the BBI will already be complete. Trial operations will begin shortly afterwards. We would like to spark the international delegates’ enthusiasm for the new airport.”

The new airport Berlin Brandenburg International BBI will open on 3 June 2012. It will be the gateway to one of the most exciting cities in the world and offer capacities for enduring quantitative and qualitative growth.

World Routes is the key annual airline/airport networking event in the world, helping airports to develop services and form new routes.

- Taken from Berlin Airports website -
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #205
way of thinking

Some update images have been published under www.berlin-spotter.de
Here are links to most of these images:

North Pier
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9156/dsc7436111.jpg

Tower
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3874/dsc7463111.jpg

Skybridges under construction (seen from the north)
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/5122/dsc7460111.jpg

Skybridges under construction (seen from the south)
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7752/dsc7465111.jpg

Future parking block (seen from the south with the terminal building on the right side behind)
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/1945/dsc7468111.jpg
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9612/dsc7469111.jpg

Terminal building (seen from the south)
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/646/dsc7472111.jpg

Copyright: Eveline Tscharnke
Old September 27th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #206
HelloMoto163

Likes (Received): 65

Very nice
but i dont like the tower
HelloMoto163 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #207
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Nobody likes the tower!
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #208
Tricky

at least you can say that for all German towers (except Munich)
Old September 28th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #209
way of thinking

Formal building work begins in the Airport City

Now it is official, the building work begins in the Airport City (since a couple of weeks there were already visible works concerning the parking blocks construction).

Link to PR on Berlin Airports Website:
http://www.berlin-airport.de/EN/Pres...rportCity.html

Quote:
Over the next few months, an urbane new service complex is to be built on an area spanning 16 hectares. Seven buildings will be built here in time for the opening of BBI: four multi-storey car parks, a car hire centre, a 4-star hotel and an office and service complex.
Additionally another rendering has been published which shows the probable situation of the Airport City with opening of BER on June/2012. Accordingly are some buildings we could see in earlier renderings replaced by ground level parking positions for cars. The missing buildings are planned to be developed within the next years.

And another link to a PDF with informations about the Airport City:
http://www.berlin-airport.de/EN/Pres...rport_City.pdf

mb92 liked this post

Last edited by way of thinking; September 28th, 2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #210
aab7772003

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by way of thinking View Post
Now it is official, the building work begins in the Airport City (since a couple of weeks there were already visible works concerning the parking blocks construction).

Link to PR on Berlin Airports Website:
http://www.berlin-airport.de/EN/Pres...rportCity.html

Additionally another rendering has been published which shows the probable situation of the Airport City with opening of BER on June/2012. Accordingly are some buildings we could see in earlier renderings replaced by ground level parking positions for cars. The missing buildings are planned to be developed within the next years.

And another link to a PDF with informations about the Airport City:
http://www.berlin-airport.de/EN/Pres...rport_City.pdf
... but the unrealistic airfield operations have not been updated at all.

Last edited by aab7772003; September 28th, 2010 at 11:25 PM.
aab7772003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #211
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Why unrealistic? Confused pilots cruising around in a deperate search for their ramp on a newly opened up airport.
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #212
Tricky

another plus of more than 10% for Berlin Airports this month. Official forecast is to reach just over 22 Mio PAX this year, however, I bet it'll be close (if not above) 23 Mio. If this continues, Berlin Brandenburg Airport needs the 1st satellite terminal sooner rather than later.
Old October 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #213
way of thinking

23 Mio Pax is not realistic, I think. It will be something about 22,3 million at the end of this year. Nevertheless Berlin Airports shows the biggest growth rate (of the eight biggest airports) in Germany over the last years in percent.

Here are some official picture updates (14.09.10):

New runway in the south

Copyright by Berlin Airports, photos by Dirk Laubner, 14.09.10

Last edited by way of thinking; October 15th, 2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #214
Almaden

Likes (Received): 2

I have no doubt that the new berlin airport will be nice inside, but does anyone else feel that it kinda looks like a suburban office park or a big Home Depot warehouse on the outside? Nothing but a bunch of big square blocks, heavy and unimaginative. A curve hear and there would have been nice I think.
Almaden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #215
fozzy

Likes (Received): 84

Making good progress!!!!! looking good
fozzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 02:45 AM   #216
ad50939
Need vacation....

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaden View Post
..... but does anyone else feel that it kinda looks like a suburban office park or a big Home Depot warehouse on the outside? Nothing but a bunch of big square blocks, heavy and unimaginative. A curve hear and there would have been nice I think.
A very typical German-style, functional and in good order. Good German tradition. I like it.

Singapore Changi T3 is also a box-like structural form, but its interior is amazing.
ad50939 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #217
Berlin.

Likes (Received): 5

Webcam
Berlin. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #218
Almaden

Likes (Received): 2

New Intercontinental Service to Berlin

With the new airport opening soon, will Berlin start getting the kind of global air service that other european capitals get? It just seems weird that airlines like United and American (not to mention a couple dozen other international carriers --- and Lufthansa) don't link up with the capital of Europe's largest and richest country.

Any news?
Almaden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #219
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 437

Im not a fan. Its a throwback to older design styles, but in this case, really does not work.

The renders looked more proising than the reality is turning out to be.
Melb_aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:51 PM   #220
way of thinking

The retail shops have been announced: there will be chocolate from Rausch, Spreewald gherkins, an Evelyn Brandt store, etc., etc.
Quote:
... Today, Berlin Airports announced the names of the new tenants for the retail and service concessions at the new airport, bringing the present total to 69 tenants. Over a quarter of the new tenants will be presenting typical concepts from the Berlin and Brandenburg region. The new airport’s tenants include Fassbender & Rausch, an Ampelmann store, a museum shop run by Freunde der Preußischen Schlösser und Gärten GmbH (Friends of Prussian Castles and Gardens) and local specialities from the Spreewald region. All tenants – from major chains to single outlets – fought off stiff competition with their winning concepts in a Europe-wide letting process. The operator of the duty free shop and the food services tenants were announced at the end of 2009 and in mid-2010. ...
press release

@ Almaden
the only news for summer 2011: AB launches TXL - JFK 4/7 and increases TXL - MIA to 3/7, both in CS with AA
United (respectively Continental) serves EWR already (7/7 in summer), American is suspected to launch ORD - BER with opening "Willy Brandt" in many chat forums, but nothing is official

Last edited by way of thinking; October 21st, 2010 at 09:47 PM.

Tags
airport, berlin, european hub airport