daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:48 PM   #761
hmueller2

Likes (Received): 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Сталин View Post
and its opening in 2013 too.
well....

..let's see
hmueller2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #762
djtan73

Likes (Received): 3

Very exciting stuff! Been to both Tegel and Schönefeld airports, I thought Berlin definitely deserves a much grandeur airport - I reckon that BER will be the best airport in Europe.

Don't know if this has been answered, but will BER likely surpass Munich's figures in terms of air passenger traffic? I believe Frankfurt will still be top in the ranks within Germany, with over 55 million passengers passing through annually.
djtan73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #763
Sven1083

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtan73 View Post
Very exciting stuff! Been to both Tegel and Schönefeld airports, I thought Berlin definitely deserves a much grandeur airport - I reckon that BER will be the best airport in Europe.

Don't know if this has been answered, but will BER likely surpass Munich's figures in terms of air passenger traffic? I believe Frankfurt will still be top in the ranks within Germany, with over 55 million passengers passing through annually.
No, BER will not surpass Munich and Frankfurt in passenger numbers. This could happen only if LH would decide to make a new hub in Ber which is more important to them like Fra or Muc, but this will not happen. Muc gets the new satellite, FRA a huge new terminal. I´d say not in the next 30 years.
Sven1083 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #764
Tandax

Likes (Received): 451

Love the look of this awesome new terminal. Pity about the long delay though.
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #765
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtan73 View Post

Frankfurt has the potential to even surpase Heathrow with they're fourth runway, existing terminal expansion, and a whole new terminal in the works at the other side of the runways.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #766
hmueller2

Likes (Received): 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmueller2 View Post
well....

..let's see

BILD is reporting that the opening will be delayed again.
New opening probably 2014 or even 2015
hmueller2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #767
UAE_isthebest

Likes (Received): 38

According to a Dutch news agency the new airport will be delayed till 2015 some 'experts' say. The fire protection system will be replaced and there are also several problems with the escalators, underground fueling pipes and the cooling for the computer system. BER is becoming a nightmare for Berlin and Germany. Such a shame because it is a really nice new airport.

Also experts said that the terminal is already too small and the terminal would struggle with it's capacity with busy periods like summer and winter holidays. Remember, European aviation is still growing so I suspect BER will probably get serious capacity issues when it will open in 2015 or maybe 2014... or 2016.. We have to wait.
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #768
C-Beam
Trickficker

Likes (Received): 3395

A building company has apparently also filed charges because it says that the multi story car parks are not statically stable and the concrete is rotten.

http://www.bild.de/regional/berlin/f...6030.bild.html

The most interesting thing though is that the former head project manager had written a PhD thesis during the construction phase on how to reduce construction costs and shorten construction time. That's funny because the first thing any project manager learns about is the magic triangle which warns you that time, costs and quality are usually in conflict with each other. I.e. if you optimize costs and time you will lower quality:

The real cost of the state is the prosperity we do not see, the jobs that don’t exist, the technologies to which we do not have access, the businesses that do not come into existence, and the bright future that is stolen from us. (Frédéric Bastiat)
C-Beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #769
emyrr3096

Likes (Received): 520

i wanna ask something. when this airport open for business??
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #770
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1116

Worst airport opening delays I have ever seen out of all the new airports I seen opening throughout my life...

And nice triangle theory btw.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #771
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

I believe that with Berlin Brandenburg Airport, it will consolidate the three existing airports in the German capital. However, I have a question: with the new BER, what would be the likelihood of the airport to operate long-haul flights? I mean, as I check out its flights (using a third-party app on my iPad), it seems like Tegel holds a limited number of long-haul flights and instead focuses on short- and medium-haul services.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #772
C-Beam
Trickficker

Quote:
Originally Posted by emyrr3096 View Post
i wanna ask something. when this airport open for business??
That question cannot be answered at this point. They have employed a new project manager from Frankfurt who is currently collecting information about the building status. This information collecting will last till fall 2013 - there will be no meaningful building activity until this date. Then, after all information is on the table in fall 2013 a new plan will be announced how to further proceed. Some independent experts are predicting 2015 as opening year.

The real cost of the state is the prosperity we do not see, the jobs that don’t exist, the technologies to which we do not have access, the businesses that do not come into existence, and the bright future that is stolen from us. (Frédéric Bastiat)
Old January 7th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #773
C-Beam
Trickficker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I believe that with Berlin Brandenburg Airport, it will consolidate the three existing airports in the German capital. However, I have a question: with the new BER, what would be the likelihood of the airport to operate long-haul flights? I mean, as I check out its flights (using a third-party app on my iPad), it seems like Tegel holds a limited number of long-haul flights and instead focuses on short- and medium-haul services.
Since BER has very little population in its extended metro region, the only chance for a significant increase in long-haul flights would be if BER would become a hub which is fed passengers from other, smaller airports. Considering that Germany already has two hubs though (FRA and MUC), the chances are not too good IMO.

Old January 7th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #774
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Beam View Post
Since BER has very little population in its extended metro region, the only chance for a significant increase in long-haul flights would be if BER would become a hub which is fed passengers from other, smaller airports. Considering that Germany already has two hubs though (FRA and MUC), the chances are not too good IMO.

4.5 million in the immediate area. Not us much as in certain areas in the West of the country, but not peanuts either. As for a hub, could AirBerlin (2nd biggest airline in Germany) move more into long haul market and try to compete directly with Lufthansa? Geographically Berlin is in a convenient position.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #775
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
4.5 million in the immediate area. Not us much as in certain areas in the West of the country, but not peanuts either. As for a hub, could AirBerlin (2nd biggest airline in Germany) move more into long haul market and try to compete directly with Lufthansa? Geographically Berlin is in a convenient position.
That is also my thought: AirBerlin already operates a hub in Tegel (and soon, Brandenburg), so why not give Brandenburg a chance to extend its reach by using its existing hub status to fly long-haul routes on a regular basis, not just for charters? I mean, it would be good for Berlin and nearby provinces to have long-haul flights in the east of the country so that passengers would not need to backtrack through FRA or MUC and fly with LH (almost) exclusively.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #776
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4266

^
Air Berlin is not charter. There are a couple regular long haul flights already. For example to Abu Dhabi, Miami, Los Angeles, Mombasa and New York.

Air Berlin also has codeshare with Ethiad airlines and so offers lots of international connections via Abu Dhabi.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #777
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I know that AirBerlin is not a charter airline, but it does quite a lot of charter services for the summer. Not necessarily just AB though...

Old January 10th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #778

Likes (Received): 1439

Before we talk about making BER a hub, you might want to open the actual airport.

What is taking so long? Whatever happened to german efficiency?
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #779
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I don't know. Does the German bailout have to do anything with the opening slowdown for Brandenburg? Or is it just that Fraport is running into a lot of problems lately?

Old January 10th, 2013, 05:49 AM   #780
emyrr3096

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Beam View Post

That question cannot be answered at this point. They have employed a new project manager from Frankfurt who is currently collecting information about the building status. This information collecting will last till fall 2013 - there will be no meaningful building activity until this date. Then, after all information is on the table in fall 2013 a new plan will be announced how to further proceed. Some independent experts are predicting 2015 as opening year.
oh my god. nicht so gut..
i've plan to stay at Germany from fall 2013 till summer 2014... and maybe i'll back a year after thats.

but why BER delayed the operational? how bout the land-tax in Germany? BER operator must pay it right?

Tags
airport, berlin, european hub airport