daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:03 AM   #121
peacedot

Likes (Received): 1

Obviously, as the title says, it is ' the other Shanghai'. Many of the slumish looking areas are functioning well, though most of them will be torn down. If you say 'this is Shanghai', it is misleading.

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2010, 04:13 PM   #122
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly View Post
I think it's better for you to take a few minutes to search the new before you make such a comment. Seriously, there are tons of news report that.
I took this photo in last March (MARCH 2-0-0-9!) on a very dull day when Oriental Pearl Tower was obscured by clouds. Of course the structure was not damaged then. Thanks for proving you have no sense of humour.

Quote:
Aslo, I don't understand all the hamburg pictures are very clear, but the quality of pictures you posted here are all very bad. For sure shanghai has a lot of slums, and no one are trying to hide them, they are alway be there, just most people won't spend some time of their short trip to see that.
When I arrived in Shanghai I had no proper camera. The bad quality is due to the cellphone I used for that. The pics in the last section have better quality.

Quote:
But this is very small part of shanghai, 1/5, maybe even less. You actually already mislead some people here and let them think this is what shanghai looks like. Even the pictures of NanJing Lu and people square, where should be the best part of shanghai, looks very dirty in your picture.
This thread is representative for Shanghai indeed. Why should I repeat all the things already shown a thousand times on SSC? If a tourist spends 2 days in Shanghai he will see the same as well.
You can see the Bund and Pudong skyline in my thread as well - because they are a part of the town same as some more shabby areas are.
My aim is not to launch a propagandistic marketing campaign about my city as others on SSC but to show everything which is to know about Shanghai (admit: partly in doubtful quality though) for curious people who never been there and/or do not have a chance to go there.
Besides, I do not think these pictures show a dirty and run down town compared to some places I been before. Shanghai is a rapidly modernizing, dynamic city with contrasting and changing facades. As you can tell by looking at these pictures.

Last edited by Rinchinlhumbe; April 22nd, 2010 at 05:05 PM.
Rinchinlhumbe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 04:31 PM   #123
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1770

Quote:
If that's what you see every day, then i feel very sorry for you, you know the reason.
What's this supposed to mean?
NCT está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:07 PM   #124
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
Weird to see all these overhead power lines in dense urban environment. Don't they want to put them underground? Looks nasty.

Beside complaining, very interesting photos.
they are electric bus power lines.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:11 PM   #125
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1142

both morden and rinchinhambi's shanghai are all real shanghai. shanghai has two sides, i love both sides.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:26 PM   #126
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 827

Seems like a real city of contrasts!
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:28 PM   #127
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1770

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver999 View Post
they are electric bus power lines.
Trolleybus wires are the least of the worries. Communication cables on the otherhand are downright ugly.
NCT está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 06:40 AM   #128
kelly

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacedot View Post
Obviously, as the title says, it is ' the other Shanghai'. Many of the slumish looking areas are functioning well, though most of them will be torn down. If you say 'this is Shanghai', it is misleading.
check the signature "Shanghai's best kept secrets" ...
kelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 06:56 AM   #129
kelly

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
What's this supposed to mean?
I mean if these pictures are representative of what you'd see on an average day out, it seems to me that you are not positive enough of you life in Shanghai.
kelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 03:07 PM   #130
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinchinlhumbe View Post
I took this photo in last March (MARCH 2-0-0-9!) on a very dull day (...) As you can tell by looking at these pictures.
Any comments on this from the Kelly Family?
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:59 AM   #131
WAQAS AHMED

Likes (Received): 16

hi im new to this thread, really amazed to see the other shanghai. good work, great pics.
WAQAS AHMED no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 03:09 PM   #132
onthebund
BANNED

Likes (Received): 408

生命中的丑陋与阴暗很多时候是那样的让人难以面对。不过还是要坦然面对的。
onthebund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #133
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebund View Post
生命中的丑陋与阴暗很多时候是那样的让人难以面对。不过还是要坦然面对的。
不同。上海确实是一个美丽的城市。
Old December 28th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #134
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

但是,白痴 Kelly,他不知道

Last edited by Rinchinlhumbe; December 28th, 2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:29 AM   #135
timvan
Lover/Hater/Photographer

Likes (Received): 0

You would never think this is Shanghai either!!:

Thames Town, Songjiang

Holland Village, Gaoqiao

[ps- need a VPN to view within China, cuz the govt does not like dope photography]
timvan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:33 AM   #136
timvan
Lover/Hater/Photographer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
Trolleybus wires are the least of the worries.
Snot rockets!
timvan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:05 PM   #137
SimFox

Likes (Received): 513

Any and every one should remember that picture is a tricky thing. If bad (and that is a broad category in itself) it can ruin the best thing. If good it also distorts thing, because one of the good thing is to pick on many fleeting things (like light, or even photographers mood)- So when you'll actually find yourself on the spot, there is NO guarantee that you'll see the same thing (provided that physical settings will remain). You'll see it all through your own eyes this time. So, you may pick on something that camera didn't, or you can miss something.

As for the all the ruins... well here is a tricky bit...

just showing something like this:
Quote:

without providing any explanation what it is is a SEVERE misrepresentation of reality. One that is quite typical in much of the western media. I've always been trying to figure out why. Why said media and many people who come from eh place where that media dominates so focus on this thing, why these are served "as is", as no explanation is needed.
What would be fair, is to say -here is an area in a process of demolition, see virtually all building had been abandoned, streets are no longer cleaned, people largely left. Few weeks, or months and most likely this part of old Shanghai will be gone forever. And there will be new apartment buildings, or park or something else here.

THEN and only then it could be possible to start some discussion on how, perhaps, old and feature reach environment is thoughtlessly destroyed in a rush of getting NEW things in. How these new "neighborhoods" where people, living in the same stairwell, don't really know, or care to know each other. How social fabric is ripped apart and so on and on and on. That all be truth. Of course if some basic facts like that old houses didn't have most of the modern conveniences) would have been added to the picture.

But simply to show these shots "as is", as a still frame isn't honest, Particularly for someone who had been living in China. It is a gross misrepresentation because it is extremely suggestive that this is how things are, on a lasting, permanent, if you will, basis, completely leaving out the fleeting nature of the scene. Conveniently forgetting to mention that it is not sigh of decay, but of growth.

And why is it left out? Well I leave it on the conscious of one doing it... Like BBC filming crew coming to ChongQing pointing to the dull gray sky and saying - look, people here never see blue sky because of pollution! Completely "forgetting" to mention that what audience is actually seeing on their TV screens are just cloud and the the air in that time of almost constant rain is remarkably fresh. They know it (you can smell it), but they choose to omit it. They choose to use suggestive imagery to mislead. Yes true there is A LOT of pollution in China, but it is NOT what is on the screen at this particular moment...

Last edited by SimFox; March 1st, 2011 at 12:22 PM.
SimFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #138
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimFox View Post
Any and every one should remember that picture is a tricky thing. If bad (and that is a broad category in itself) it can ruin the best thing. If good it also distorts thing, because one of the good thing is to pick on many fleeting things (like light, or even photographers mood)- So when you'll actually find yourself on the spot, there is NO guarantee that you'll see the same thing (provided that physical settings will remain). You'll see it all through your own eyes this time. So, you may pick on something that camera didn't, or you can miss something.
Agree. Good point.

Quote:
What would be fair, is to say -here is an area in a process of demolition, see virtually all building had been abandoned, streets are no longer cleaned, people largely left. Few weeks, or months and most likely this part of old Shanghai will be gone forever. And there will be new apartment buildings, or park or something else here.
I dont think people looking at this thread pay a lot attention to words but rather focus on the figures.
The pictures themselves tell the complete story, namely old buildings being demolisehd and replaced by shiny new ones. Just look sharp:

I love these contrasts of old being replaced by new. People having lived for centuries in these shikumen now stepping into the future. Appartments with runnning hot water, plumbing and modern aircon. This is what Shanghai is for me. I am not one of these paranoid nationalist suckers on skc. (sry)

Quote:
And why is it left out? Well I leave it on the conscious of one doing it... Like BBC filming crew coming to ChongQing pointing to the dull gray sky and saying - look, people here never see blue sky because of pollution! Completely "forgetting" to mention that what audience is actually seeing on their TV screens are just cloud and the the air in that time of almost constant rain is remarkably fresh. They know it (you can smell it), but they choose to omit it. They choose to use suggestive imagery to mislead. Yes true there is A LOT of pollution in China, but it is NOT what is on the screen at this particular moment...
Overinterpretation.
I am not a BBC reporter (thx for flattering), I work & live in Shanghai!
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #139
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

to keep you from crying:

Old March 26th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #140
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED