daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Aviation and Airports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 4.28 average.
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #41
killerk

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashchauhan View Post
Mr. Killerk(what a devil of a name) go and concentrate your great mind in protecting your job because we all know what is happening in America these days.Your superpower days are over and out and you people will not even get to realize how India and other emerging economies have taken over the world order AND as far as aerobridges are concerned , yes they are a luxury for us but only for a year or two as by then almost every small or big airport in our country will have them.
I work for the Govt here doing infrastructure work....not in service industry that too for US like people like you!!!
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 19th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #42
killerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ10 View Post
Yes, its an over-enthusiastic, overly-thorough article written by someone who's clearly a planespotting geek.

Well done for spotting that killerk, Congratulations. You must be very proud.

so now, can we get over it and stop using the most idiotic pieces of journalism as a gauge of progress?

India is a country where electricity, water, food, shelter etc are still big issues, if you look at it that way, nothing to do with any Airport is of any significance when people out there havent got food, homes, sanitation. Yet ppl want to start d!ckmeasuring about when their city first had aerobridges? Get some bloody perspective ppl.

This attitude is so counter-productive. When any step, however small, is taken towards modernisation, theres always this negative, energy sucking bunch of whiny ppl who get some sort of kick out of s******ing about it and deriding Indian Cities with comparisons to tiny, ultra rich, ultra modern, city states or in this case, the Commercial Centre of the Arab World.

I just wish these ppl would apply their view of what is "NO NEWS", when repeating this same drivel all over SSC India.
Thank you GJ10, atleast someone shares my viewpoint!!
Old June 20th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #43
viedumonde
Shaan-e-Hind

Likes (Received): 16

Talking Calme toi

I believed it was just a news, but it started a spark of conflict in the thread...

It was not a boast of any kind, but for an airport like Ahmedabad, where, until recently, international flight meant a flight to Muscat and Sharjah, and an airport, which only had 2 daily flights before 1995, one each to Delhi and mumbai, aerobridges are welcome as a milestone of its (however minor) growth.

As some people think that this cannot be the news as aerobridges have been there ever since aviation industry, the all the posts of so called development in India should be banned, Highways thread should be banned because they are nothing to 'boast' of, when compared to German Autobahns, the highly-celebrated Delhi-metro thread should be banned, as more than 100 cities had it, before Delhi, and much better than Delhi (please don't go on exact numbers this time).

This is a place to speak about whatever new thing your city or state or country gets. And aerobridges are new for Ahmedabad, which, for sure lags behind even many Indian cities.
viedumonde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #44
krishnancv

Likes (Received): 413

Quote:
Originally Posted by todscreen View Post
your fact is incorrect. Kolkata had aero bridges long before any other airport in India. It was the capital of India for crying out loud.
Todscreen, may i remind you that Bombay has the distinction of being the first airport in the Sub continent to have aerobridges when they were installed in 1981.

@viedumonde
I acknowledge your fact. I was just trying to correct your statement "India has only 4 airports with aerobridges".

cheers

My perspective
krishnancv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:00 PM   #45
united

Likes (Received): 0

i heard that the domestic terminal and the international terminal are going to connected through a underground subway.is it true ?
united no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:08 AM   #46
mooktada
In the brig

Likes (Received): 157

[QUOTE=krishnancv;38528310]Todscreen, may i remind you that Bombay has the distinction of being the first airport in the Sub continent to have aerobridges when they were installed in 1981.

QUOTE]

no one cares.. they are both very crappy airports.
mooktada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:39 AM   #47
todscreen

Likes (Received): 8

amhedabad airport is not crappy.

i love it...its a very beautiful design.

Bengali Review: First ever user-generated review site for Bengali movies, restaurants, and events.
todscreen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:00 PM   #48
viedumonde
Shaan-e-Hind

Especially the new one.

@ United..
I've not come across any such news.
E. Shreedharan, the MD of DMRC, who's preparing routes for Ahmedabad metro, said that there cannot be any possible connection of the airport by metro before 2035, even if the passengers' number grows at 10% annually..

And just a small 500 m line connecting both the terminals is not viable. A Shuttle would suffice.
Old June 28th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #49
GJ10

Likes (Received): 585

Fly out of Changi, in Apnu Amdavad

Quote:
Ahmedabad: Billed as India’s own Changi, the new Ahmedabad international airport has been modelled on the airport in Singapore, a
major aviation hub in the Asia-Pacific region.

The new international airport terminal is all set to get a major facelift by early next year. Once ready, the Rs 290-crore project will give a new look to the new international terminal building complete with city side approach road, car parking and apron.

According to the proposed AAI plans for expansion of Ahmedabad airport, there will be shopping malls, multiplexes, a high-end luxury hotel, transit hotels and motels, food courts and recreational and entertainment centres on either side of the approach road leading to the airport.

At the refurbished terminals, passengers will not have to take those packed bus-rides to the aircraft. Four aerobridges at the domestic terminal and six at the new international terminal will enable passengers to walk into the aircraft from the departure lounge.

Also, the existing international terminal will exclusively handle cargo. Once the swanky, new international airport gets ready, the domestic and international terminals will together have enough room to park 33 aircraft. At present, they can handle only 13.

The international passenger traffic at the airport is around 5.5 to 6 lakh passengers annually. According to officials, the peak hour passenger is 450, while passenger-handling capacity of the existing building is only 400.

At present, Ahmedabad is available as a point of call to 16 foreign countries which include Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Brunei, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Kuwait, Qatar, Russia, UAE (Dubai, Sharjah).

According to the forecast, the peak hour passenger traffic in 2012-13 will be 500 arrivals and 500 departures. The new terminal building has been planned to handle 1,000 passengers (500 arrivals and 500 departures). In phase II, the capacity will be enhanced to 1,600 passengers.

On the air traffic movement, a senior airport official said, "The Ahmedabad airport handles nearly three fourth of the air traffic of the state."

The airport handled 2.4 million passengers in 2007-08 and is expected to handle six million passengers in 2010 and nine million in 2012, including both domestic and international passengers.
GJ10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #50
gradybush

Likes (Received): 1

AMD is available as a point of call to 16 countries.

What is a point of call?
gradybush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #51
krishnancv

Likes (Received): 413

I think it means direct as well as one stop connections to Ahmedabad from those countries by various airlines. By one stop connections I mean the transit time at a hub will not take more than 3 hours between the connecting flights.

My perspective
krishnancv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 09:04 AM   #52
viedumonde
Shaan-e-Hind

@ "United"

I think that subway connection is true.
i flew from Ahmedabad on Friday and I saw something big is being dug from The Domestic to International Terminal.

But I doubt it will be a train or something, I believe they will install a Slidewalk.

I think this is not there in any of the Indian Airports, a subterranean connection between Dom And Int'l terminals.
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:14 PM   #53
GJ10

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by viedumonde View Post
I think this is not there in any of the Indian Airports, a subterranean connection between Dom And Int'l terminals.

Bruv, I know ur just making an off-the-cuff comment, but as we saw with the tedium of the whole Aerobridge episode, the group of ppl on this forum who are extremely anal about these sorts of details will happily mess up a thread just to try and prove you wrong about something you were only making an educated guess about in the first place!

Hopefully cos ive written that, nobody will embarrass themselves by trawling wikipedia to give us the answer to a question that nobody asked

Also, Did u manage to take any photos whilst at the Airport by any chance?
GJ10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #54
TonyB

Not sure if I should start a new thread or not, but my wife and I are flying into AMD next week via Emirates Airlines.

Is there indeed a taxi counter at the terminal we'll be arriving at, and will it be open at 3 to 4 am so we can secure a prepaid taxi? If so, since we don't speaking Indian or Gujarati, would simply having hotel name and address suffice?

Thanks much!
TonyB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #55
mailabode
Praga

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
Not sure if I should start a new thread or not, but my wife and I are flying into AMD next week via Emirates Airlines.

Is there indeed a taxi counter at the terminal we'll be arriving at, and will it be open at 3 to 4 am so we can secure a prepaid taxi? If so, since we don't speaking Indian or Gujarati, would simply having hotel name and address suffice?

Thanks much!
Star hotels normally have a pick up and drop off service inclusive or exclusive of your package. Have you spoken with your hotel about this?.

Don't know about taxis, am sure there'll be other forumers with local knowledge who can help you on this.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mods,
Should there be a new thread with title "Visiting India: Info, Help and Advise", or a separate Tourism section?.

Last edited by mailabode; July 17th, 2009 at 03:13 PM.
mailabode no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #56
gradybush

Quote:

Thanks much!
Hi

You would find plenty of options like taxis and rickshaws from the airport but yeah, I would recommend that you book a pickup with your hotel as the taxi counters might not be prepaid and they might charge exorbitantly.

Most of the people would understand basic English so no issues on the language front.
Old July 17th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #57
TonyB

Thanks guys.

When there last December, we had pre-arranged for a driver to pick us up. We needed transportation to Anand (as we will next week), about an hour drive from AMD. We were charged about 60 USD or nearly 3,000 Rs. We learned that this was overly expensive and that we should have taken a prepaid taxi from AMD instead. I found websites that seem to indicate a taxi counter exits for prepaid taxis. Here is one such site:

http://www.indiancarrental.com/ahmed...-transfer.html

We just want to make sure that a taxi counter is there (and open at those hours), and that we can pay upfront for the ride to our hotel in Anand. Otherwise, we can go with the hotel's driver. Am I correct that 3,000 INR is on the very high side for such transportation?

I tried finding an AMD airport map that might reveal a taxi counter, but couldn't find one. The airport's website wasn't much help and the two email addresses I found seem not to work. Then I found this forum...

Thanks again for your input.
Old July 17th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #58
killerk

Quote:
Thanks guys.

When there last December, we had pre-arranged for a driver to pick us up. We needed transportation to Anand (as we will next week), about an hour drive from AMD. We were charged about 60 USD or nearly 3,000 Rs. We learned that this was overly expensive and that we should have taken a prepaid taxi from AMD instead. I found websites that seem to indicate a taxi counter exits for prepaid taxis. Here is one such site:

We just want to make sure that a taxi counter is there (and open at those hours), and that we can pay upfront for the ride to our hotel in Anand. Otherwise, we can go with the hotel's driver. Am I correct that 3,000 INR is on the very high side for such transportation?

I tried finding an AMD airport map that might reveal a taxi counter, but couldn't find one. The airport's website wasn't much help and the two email addresses I found seem not to work. Then I found this forum...

Yes, you got looted!! paying Southwest airlines fares for a taxi in India that too to cover a distance of around 50 miles.
Old July 17th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #59
gradybush

Quote:
Thanks guys.

This link should help you.

http://www.gujarattourism.com/showpa...er=15_40_8_293

You can directly book via Gujarat Tourism which is Govt owned.
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #60
TonyB

Thought so alright... When I got a haircut for like 20 or 30 Rs, I knew for sure something was not right.

Well, I'm getting offered this price again... With a few days to go, I'd like to find-out if I can prepay for a taxi at AMD to our hotel. I was told that if I didn't prepay (agreement beforehand), I might be asked for a ridiculously high price upon arrival to the hotel by the taxi driver.

Being stuck at the airport at 4 am is something I want to avoid, so if I must pay 60 bucks again, I will... Thank you.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: