daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2013, 01:42 AM   #21
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

Recently I thought about portions of rapid transit lines on the medians of controlled-access highways.

In Chicago, there exists two branches of the CTA's Blue Line are in the medians of the Comgress Expressway (the Congress Branch) and Interstate 190 and the Kennedy Expressway (the O'Hare Branch), as well as the Dan Ryan Branch of the Red Line within the median of the Dan Ryan Expressway.

Other examples are the under-construction Silver Line of the Washington, DC Metro, in the median of the Dulles Access/Toll Road; the Green Line of the Los Angeles Metro in the median of the Century Freeway (Interstate 105).

Any other rail transir lines paralleling controlled-access highways?

(I thought about starting a new thread on this issue, but found this thread and had to post here instead.)

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2013, 03:43 AM   #22
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

The 25N line of the Belgian Diabolo project is in the median:

"The 25N line was built by Infrabel along the exceptionally broad (40m) central reservation of the A1/E19 motorway from Schaerbeek/Schaarbeek to the new Mechelen station. It was built for 225 km/h operation and equipped with TBL1+ and ETCS level 1 signaling.[3]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabolo_project
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #23
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Rapid transit along expressway medians or even alongside such roadways is SO unappealing. I'm glad I needn't travel like that.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #24
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Rapid transit along expressway medians or even alongside such roadways is SO unappealing. I'm glad I needn't travel like that.
Yeah, it greatly increases walking distances from\to station, thus lowering the attractiveness of mass-transit.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #25
trainrover

And the dust (worse in wintertime from dried road salt), noise, pollution from idling cars during traffic tie-ups, blighted landscape
Old August 19th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #26
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Yes, this scenario is really unappealing and seems to be only used as a cost cutting method. But planning long term infrastructure for a community should be about long term efficiency and quality of life, not about short term cost-cutting.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #27
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

Another example of a rail transit line in the median of a controlled-access highway is the Lagos Rail Mass Transit System's Blue Line, which is in the median of the expanded Lagos-Badagry Expressway; The expressway will also have two of its six lanes reserved for exclusive use for a Bus Rapid Transit line.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #28
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
this scenario is really unappealing and seems to be only used as a cost cutting method.
To me, it's more a technique of dissuasion by complicit authorities while trying to create some semblance of public goodwill.
Old August 20th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #29
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
To me, it's more a technique of dissuasion by complicit authorities while trying to create some semblance of public goodwill.
I find speeding along a freeway median, where cars are stuck in traffic actually quite satisfying.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #30
trainrover

Which leads me to conclude that the dissuasion must be just as affective as intended.
Old August 21st, 2013, 04:28 PM   #31
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
I find speeding along a freeway median, where cars are stuck in traffic actually quite satisfying.
Yeah. Cruising at 300 km/h in a Thalys to Paris while looking at the gridlocked cars on the nearby motorway is absolutely hilarious. At that speed, they
seem glued to the road even when moving at their normal speed.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 05:43 PM   #32
trainrover

The word gridlock hails from the USA and is limited to its urban fabric ... no matter, because I too keep forgetting my contributing to the Railways forum here and not to the S&UT one.
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:17 PM   #33
XAN_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
Yeah. Cruising at 300 km/h in a Thalys to Paris while looking at the gridlocked cars on the nearby motorway is absolutely hilarious. At that speed, they
seem glued to the road even when moving at their normal speed.
Well, for intercity transit freeway ROW works way better - people do that on occasions, not every day, so time loss are more aceptable
-H. Kürsch, 2002
Old August 23rd, 2013, 06:45 PM   #34
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
Well, for intercity transit freeway ROW works way better - people do that on occasions, not every day, so time loss are more aceptable
In what way does having the ROW in a freeway median cause time loss?
Old August 24th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #35
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Yes, this scenario is really unappealing and seems to be only used as a cost cutting method. But planning long term infrastructure for a community should be about long term efficiency and quality of life, not about short term cost-cutting.
Sometimes there isn't much of a choice. Not every city center on the planet was constructed with rail corridors, andunderground rail lines are extremely expensive.
In Israel for example, the railway infastructure was neglected for decades and most of the cities were planned without even thinking about railways. This trend changed only in the early 1990's, but it was already too late in most occasions. Therefore, the current trend is building new railways along with new freeways.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=150

Last edited by dark_shadow1; August 24th, 2013 at 12:37 AM.
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #36
XAN_

Quote:
In what way does having the ROW in a freeway median cause time loss?
Well, when rail transit station is situated by itself in the middle of the city, it's likely to have homes, jobes, entertaiment, bus stops right at it's exit, while having freeway around forces all people to walk all over the dead space above/under freeway and it's garages, service areas, etc.
This argument is most valid for LRT and metros, a bit less valid for comuter trains - those tend to have a bit of "dead" space around themself to, even if it way smaller thanhighway one, and for intercity railways it doesn't matter that much - due to longer avarage trip those extra walking for 2-3 minutes are not that notable as for short comuting trips, and also intercity trips tend to be special activity, in countrast to routine comuting, so it's again much more acceptable to walk a bit.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
Old August 24th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #37
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post

Well, when rail transit station is situated by itself in the middle of the city, it's likely to have homes, jobes, entertaiment, bus stops right at it's exit, while having freeway around forces all people to walk all over the dead space above/under freeway and it's garages, service areas, etc.
This argument is most valid for LRT and metros, a bit less valid for comuter trains - those tend to have a bit of "dead" space around themself to, even if it way smaller thanhighway one, and for intercity railways it doesn't matter that much - due to longer avarage trip those extra walking for 2-3 minutes are not that notable as for short comuting trips, and also intercity trips tend to be special activity, in countrast to routine comuting, so it's again much more acceptable to walk a bit.
You seem to assume that building ROW in the median of a freeway implies the stations will be in the median too. That doesn't have to be this way.
Old August 24th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #38
XAN_

Quote:
You seem to assume that building ROW in the median of a freeway implies the stations will be in the median too. That doesn't have to be this way.
Well, it doesn't have to bee, but "jumping" in and out median every 5-10-15 km a just impractical and reduces the benefits of freeway ROW.
Again, for sparsely "stationed" lines this much less an issue, but such lines tends to be situated in sparsely populated ares, where space isn't premium anyway...
-H. Kürsch, 2002