daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #21
aab7772003

Likes (Received): 7

Will the new pier be for non-domestic flights only?
Currently, there are only a couple of "swing" gates for both Norwegian domestic and Schengen flights, located right at the beginning of the new pier. These gates will be lost.

Under the the current mostly segregated layout, it seems that there will be "way" fewer gates for Norwegian domestic flights in the future.
aab7772003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #22
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7772003 View Post
Will the new pier be for non-domestic flights only?
Currently, there are only a couple of "swing" gates for both Norwegian domestic and Schengen flights, located right at the beginning of the new pier. These gates will be lost.

Under the the current mostly segregated layout, it seems that there will be "way" fewer gates for Norwegian domestic flights in the future.
As previously mentioned (not in this thread, though, but the Nordic Aviation thread somewhere), the new pier will be a combination of both domestic and international travel. If you understand some Norwegian, this fairly new article explains the concept pretty good: http://www.tu.no/bygg/article229920.ece
Alternatly use Google translate for a fairly good translation

Basicly this map gives you a heads up:

(middle green: international
light green: tax-free area
dark green: domestic/international)

Quote:
Here is the final sketch of the upcoming Terminal 2 at Oslo Airport Gardermoen, where the new pier meets at the south end with the westbound and eastbound piers. The junction where the three piers meet will be a much larger commercial area than today. On the sketch you also see that some domestic traffic is added up on the west side of pier 3 Photo: OSL

The article also states that the final go-ahead on the new terminal has been postponed by the owner, AVINOR. Original plans were that a final discission should be made this year, but now they have set a new deadline at March 2010. We can only hope that they go thorugh with the plans!

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #23
KiwiRob
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
great airport, parallel runways, perpendicular terminal

i dont understand why the new terminal isnt parallel with the current one
this will decrease future capacity

this airport is similar to münchen and other airports with this configuration, now they will mess that up

still, great project
That was the original plan, I think they are going cheap and not thinking about the future, this plan I fear will turn one of the best airports in Europe into a bit of a pig ear.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #24
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

Looks like a great terminal project.

I am thinking about the railway line in the project design that runs parallel to the runway and underneath the current terminal. In the new project it looks like they are going to concrete over the railway line as part of the tarmac expansion.

The T shaped terminal looked okay if the authorities decided that they were not going to cover over the railway line. However the pictures suggest the tarmac expansion will cover the rail. So why not isolated pier design (like IAD) that would be more efficient and would not need to expand the tarmac as much as they what they are currently going to do?

Less terminal, more tarmac? How are they going to fully utilise the tarmac that they are now paying for? In norwegian winter the tarmac will be snowed/iced over so extra work for tarmac-clearing vehicles.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #25
aab7772003

Likes (Received): 7

http://www.tu.no/bygg/article229920.ece

The article does not explain how the new terminal will be used for both domestic and international traffic at all.
aab7772003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #26
KiwiRob
BANNED

From what I understand the new terminal extension is international only, since you can't mix domestic and international pasangers, that's why I don't understand what they are thinking about with this design, they are going to lose about 6 domestic gates and will gain approx 10 international ones.

This design isn't going to help for the future, the airport was designed with a satellite terminal 2 for expansion, this is the best way to build airports for the future, most the new airports/terminal projects are designed like this, T5 Heathrow, Shanghai, New Berlin, Munich.......the list goes on.
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #27
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2268

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRob View Post
they are going to lose about 6 domestic gates and will gain approx 10 international ones.
As i've understood it that is just phase one. Phase two will start construction immediately phase one is completed. When phase two is completed the entire airport will have a capacity on 35 million a year (don't know how many int. and domestic gates though). But i might be wrong.
Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #28
TohrAlkimista

Likes (Received): 920

Any update?
TohrAlkimista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #29
gnzlnho
Buenos Aires

Likes (Received): 723

Nice from th outside, but didn't like tho wood in the interior... sorry

gnzlnho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #30
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohrAlkimista View Post
Any update?
Still no news... This is written on the airports website:

Quote:
Terminal 2 prosjektet har siden august 2009 arbeidet med forprosjektet. Dette arbeidet ble sluttfĝrt februar 2010. I denne fasen ble lĝsningsforslaget ytterligere detaljert og kvalitetssikret. Videre fremdriftsplan for Terminal 2 vil bli besluttet vċren 2010.
Meaning, they're still working on projecting, but still no final go has been given. Hopefully we will hear something sometime this spring, but I wouldn't count on it, especially now with the volcano and big losses in the aviation industry

Old July 28th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #31
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Chief of Information at OSL, Jo Kobro, mentions in an article that 2017 is the most likely year to see the second terminal at Gardermoen finished.

Seems construction start is still years away, I fear...

Old July 28th, 2010, 04:11 AM   #32
Hardstylah

Likes (Received): 0

Nice! How many gates will the airport have when this is finished?
Hardstylah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #33
KiwiRob
BANNED

I believe the extension will add an extra 16 gates but 8 or so existing gates will be removed, so a gain of 8 gates.

I was told today the Gardermoen was built 4 meters narrower than originally designed as a cost saving measure. Now if the airport have been built 4 meters wider as planned this additional terminal space may not have been needed for a long time.

Also in the original plans the airport was designed for expansion with a midfield satelite terminal, the tunnel is already in place for people to move between the main and satelit. From what I was told the airlines are not happy with the new terminal as it will require more planes to taxi around it taking more time and using additional fuel.

Does anyone have a render of what the airport was supposed to look like with the infield satelite terminal.
Old August 21st, 2010, 02:53 PM   #34
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2268

Four new interior renderings.

[IMG]http://i34.************/30adu2e.jpg[/IMG]
[email protected] DiizGroup

[IMG]http://i35.************/15cy369.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i38.************/20k6utd.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i37.************/2la5xsm.jpg[/IMG]
Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 09:45 PM   #35
bains1971
ताज़ा समाचार

That looks great, very nice.
The dates for the Games are 3 - 14 October 2010, inclusive of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. Weather wise the city experiences an October mean temperature of a minimum 17.2 degrees centigrade and maximum 31.3 degrees centigrade with humidity ranging from 31 to 78% for the October and November months.
Punjab Aviation in India
bains1971 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:52 PM   #36
TohrAlkimista

Likes (Received): 920

Awesome.
TohrAlkimista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:12 PM   #37
Tricky

Likes (Received): 150

great design - love the use of wood.

However, I'm hoping that the colour of the wood will look better (i.e. less like IKEA) in reality than in the renderings!!
Old August 24th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #38
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 437

Excellent addition to a great airport.

Norwegian quality at its best
Melb_aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #39
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Seems as things are finally starting to move (if only slightly).

A public notice for some preliminary modifications that have to be done to some of the gates closest to the new north pier, has been published in the Database for Public Procurements in Norway. The notice is mostly about lifts/escalators in the actual passenger bridges, and sorts under "the T2 early-fase".

The airport has to be in full use all through the rebuilding/expansion, which is part of why this whole process is this slow I guess... The notice states that the modifications will take place from October 2011 and onwards in the new year. Real construction may possibly start after this.

This is a cool project, but it seems we'll have to prepare for a long period of waiting.

Link to notice (in Norwegian): http://www.doffin.no/search/show/sea...x?ID=NOV154291

Old December 15th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #40
Inconfidente

Likes (Received): 15170

@IceCheese, it seems like the flytoget is going to pass under the new terminal, right? How it is nowadays?
Inconfidente no está en línea   Reply With Quote