daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2016, 10:08 PM   #2721
amin03

Likes (Received): 227

I really wonder why no airline operates routes from Tokyo and Seoul to Tehran. It can be a crystal clear A380 route.

Last edited by amin03; January 25th, 2016 at 11:36 PM.
amin03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2016, 11:26 PM   #2722
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63121

Isn't that a contradiction in terms, if there's enough traffic to be an A380 route it would certainly be served, even if it's with a smaller plane.

Looking only at Tokyo you see that both JAL and ANA don't serve any middle eastern destination. Emirates only have 2 daily flights to Tokyo, 1 to Narita (777-300ER), 1 to Haneda (777-200LR). It's nonsense to say that Tokyo-Tehran is a big market that would already support an A380.

sponge_bob, Manazir liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 11:36 PM   #2723
amin03

At the present time A380 wouldn't be suitable. But I can almost promise you that it will be in some years. Iran Air has operated Tokyo with B747 before and Mahan Air has plans to start Tokyo flights soon.
Old January 25th, 2016, 11:44 PM   #2724
amin03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
Emirates only have 2 daily flights to Tokyo, 1 to Narita (777-300ER), 1 to Haneda (777-200LR). It's nonsense to say that Tokyo-Tehran is a big market that would already support an A380.
4 daily to Japan isn't bad. One daily from Iran to Japan isn't much to ask for, just look at Mahan Air's daily flight freuqency to the eastern Asia.

I also said it would be a crystal clear route for an A380. Not that it is right now. And I meant when Iran Air gets A380s, aka 3-5 years. But does Iran have A380s now? No.

Last edited by amin03; January 25th, 2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old January 26th, 2016, 01:40 AM   #2725
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2207

Quote:
Originally Posted by amin03 View Post
At the present time A380 wouldn't be suitable. But I can almost promise you that it will be in some years. Iran Air has operated Tokyo with B747 before
Iran's nearest friendly neighbour to the North East was Japan...in 1978. They had to overfly everyone else to get there.

Meanwhile, since 1978, the whole world has changed.....innit.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 05:52 AM   #2726
IranAir

Likes (Received): 310

Frankly, I can't see how Iran needs 400 mid to long term range planes.

It only makes sense if Iran becomes the main Europe, Far East hub.

But

1. Iranian airlines are not part of codeshare with other airlines

2. Iranian airlines do not have designated terminals

3. Iranian airlines do not have proper IFEs or will not be able to show nice movies

4. Iranian airlines do not serve alcohol

I mean even for direct flights to Iran I would much rather fly European airlines or American airlines.

I think the plans are overly ambitious and unrealistic. Tourism and being a transport hub will not happen under IR.

Iran should focus on on other things.

sponge_bob liked this post
IranAir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 08:19 AM   #2727
billding

Likes (Received): 733

Will Mahan reactivate their 744 fleet now?
billding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 09:37 AM   #2728
amin03

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Iran's nearest friendly neighbour to the North East was Japan...in 1978. They had to overfly everyone else to get there.

Meanwhile, since 1978, the whole world has changed.....innit.
Indeed, but I can imagine a change in a positive direction soon again
Old January 26th, 2016, 09:39 AM   #2729
amin03

Quote:
Originally Posted by billding View Post
Will Mahan reactivate their 744 fleet now?
Depends on the US, and honestly US isn't a big fan of Mahan Air and their aircraft so I don't think they will get active anytime soon.
Old January 26th, 2016, 11:21 AM   #2730
Persian_Gulf

Likes (Received): 928

edit
Persian_Gulf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 11:37 AM   #2731
Persian_Gulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranAir View Post
Frankly, I can't see how Iran needs 400 mid to long term range planes.
You must consider that new destinations will open up and that frequencies will increase on existing routes. I don't think you really see the potential clearly here. There can for instance easily be 10 European destinations served by A330/A350 in a few years if trade and tourism starts to move to and from Iran. And if you start thinking Africa, South America and Far East you get a clearer picture.

Quote:
It only makes sense if Iran becomes the main Europe, Far East hub.
Following the order Iran will place with Airbus on the 27 of January, and with other manufactures later, it seems obvious that airports in Iran will grow. especially IKA which might become the gateway to Iran and a new regional hub.

Quote:
1. Iranian airlines are not part of codeshare with other airlines
IranAir has codeshare agreements with
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Aeroflot
  • Turkish Airlines

This will expand in the future as IranAir is not restricted to do business anymore.

Quote:
2. Iranian airlines do not have designated terminals
Nor yet, you have to consider that IKA is expanding and we haven't seen the render yet.

IranAir needs to revamp its image first, before making such costs.

Quote:
3. Iranian airlines do not have proper IFEs or will not be able to show nice movies
We will be able to show all the movies just like in Saudia + the fact that Iranian cinema is huge and thus plenty of good Iranian movies available, which is normal, considering it's an Iranian Airline.

Quote:
4. Iranian airlines do not serve alcohol
This can be compensated with creative fruit non-alcoholic cocktails and non-alcoholic beer.

Most passengers are looking for the cheapest fare, only premium passengers will look after such things as alcohol which only makes about 20-25% of each flight in passenger numbers.

Even then, most passenger revenue will come from Iranians in the coming years, and they'll prefer a direct flight with no-alcohol to Tehran instead of having a stop in Dubai for example.

Specially for a silly reason such as alcohol.

Quote:
I mean even for direct flights to Iran I would much rather fly European airlines or American airlines.
Maybe you, but most people will only consider two things
  • Fastest route
  • Cheapest fare

Quote:
I think the plans are overly ambitious and unrealistic. Tourism and being a transport hub will not happen under IR.

Iran should focus on on other things.
Iran wants to revamp its image and transportation is one of the main things Iran should be focusing on.

IR needs money and as oil prices are really low, tourism will be a good revenue maker.

That's why they are hugely investing in that sector right now.

amin03 liked this post
Old January 26th, 2016, 02:42 PM   #2732
billding

Likes (Received): 733

How will they show western entertainment like on Saudia? I think Saudi Arabia allows limited western entertianment even on national TV, does Iran govt. allow that? Saudi TV also shows western advertisments dubbed in Arabic featuring westerners and western dressed women with no head covering, similar ads made in Lebanon, Egypt, Jordan with westernised Arab women are all shown on their national TV, I thought Iran was more liberal but apparently Saudi are not that conservative either.

Last edited by billding; January 26th, 2016 at 02:50 PM.
billding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 02:50 PM   #2733
amin03

You will probably see some exceptions. Like that alcohol is allowed for Christians, and for foreigns in some hotels, in Iran!
Old January 26th, 2016, 03:05 PM   #2734
Persian_Gulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by billding View Post
How will they show western entertainment like on Saudia? I think Saudi Arabia allows limited western entertianment even on national TV, does Iran govt. allow that? Saudi TV also shows western advertisments dubbed in Arabic featuring westerners and western dressed women with no head covering, similar ads made in Lebanon, Egypt, Jordan with westernised Arab women are all shown on their national TV, I thought Iran was more liberal but apparently Saudi are not that conservative either.

Iranian national TV shows western Hollywood movies as well. including women without Islamic dresscode!

The only difference is that some movie parts are cut out like: Kissing scenes and etc.

Bollywood movies are also very popular within Iran.
Old January 26th, 2016, 03:08 PM   #2735
Persian_Gulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by amin03 View Post
You will probably see some exceptions. Like that alcohol is allowed for Christians, and for foreigns in some hotels, in Iran!
I doubt that as Khamenei already stated that western influence is not welcome in Iran.

Imagine a foreigner being drunk on the streets of Tehran...

Just like foreigners have to respect and obey Iranian laws such as dresscode and etc. They have to respect other values as well and this might change, but not as long as Khamenei is alive and the majority of parliament is conservative.
Old January 26th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #2736
amin03

TK said they will increase flights to Iran and compensate the market while the Iranian airlines grow. Yeah sure...will TK "give back" the market later? lol
Old January 27th, 2016, 03:48 AM   #2737
IranAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian_Gulf View Post
Maybe you, but most people will only consider two things
  • Fastest route
  • Cheapest fare

Iran wants to revamp its image and transportation is one of the main things Iran should be focusing on.

IR needs money and as oil prices are really low, tourism will be a good revenue maker.

That's why they are hugely investing in that sector right now.
I agree with you that alcohol is not a driving factor.

Abbas Akhoundi said in 5 to 7 years Iran wants to compete with regional cariers (Emirates, Etihad, Qatar Airways, Turkish Airlines).

So Iran Air and Mahan Air have quite a lot to do. The below are a must for Iran to have any chance:

1. Modern aircraft to reduce operating costs.

Iran is buying modern planes but ideally an airline should operate only on type of manufacturer to reduce costs even more.

i.e.
Long haul: 787-10, 787-9, 787-8
Medium-haul: 787-8, 737 Max 9
Short-haul: 737 Max 8, 737 Max 7 / CS300, CS100

or
Long haul: A380, A350-900
Medium-haul: A330-900neo, A330-800neo, A321neo
Short-haul: A320neo, A319neo / CS300, CS100

2. Iranian planes need IFEs and Wifi

This is a big issue on long flights and wifi cannot filter all news websites.

3. Iran Air and Mahan Air need new terminals

Iran wants to upgrade IKA but how can they both have their own terminals in 5 years the way Iran does these projects?

Also, the terminals need to become more friendly and the security lines need to be operated differently.

4. Airlines need to become part of the major airline alliances

I just feel with the people running Iran this is not likely. They just have no experience of how to run professional airlines. Iran sucks at hospitality.
Old January 27th, 2016, 05:09 AM   #2738
IranAir

@ Persian Gulf

Seems you were absolutely wrong on Iranians wanting Sukhoi and on Bombardier not being possible.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ca...-idUSKCN0V42IL

We discussed this so many times. I really urge you in the future to go outside of what you hear in Iranian media and change the world view that the whole world is against Iran and try to also see what happens outside of Iran.
Old January 27th, 2016, 11:37 AM   #2739
Persian_Gulf

Quote:
@ Persian Gulf

Seems you were absolutely wrong on Iranians wanting Sukhoi and on Bombardier not being possible.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ca...-idUSKCN0V42IL

We discussed this so many times. I really urge you in the future to go outside of what you hear in Iranian media and change the world view that the whole world is against Iran and try to also see what happens outside of Iran.
I have never said that it's not possible for Iran to get Bombardiers.

I argued that Sukhoi is more effecient as it's cheaper and has lower operation costs for smaller Airlines like Kish air and Zagros and etc.

Also remember that those airlines are not government owned and have to purchase those planes themselves unlike IranAir, which means that budget is important to them

Besides Canada hasn't yet officially lifted sanctions on Iran, it is planning to do so, but hasn't so for done it yet.

I can only tell you shat I read in the news, and at that time, there was no plan to acquire Cseries

I'll answer your other post later today.

Last edited by Persian_Gulf; January 27th, 2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old January 27th, 2016, 11:42 AM   #2740
amin03

Mahan Air delays Copenhagen Flights http://www.aviationiran.com/2016/01/...nhagen-launch/

Tags
iran, middle eastern airlines