daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2013, 10:46 PM   #1661
IRANA320

Likes (Received): 93

From the beginning on I thought that there might be Iranian investors behind Solyom but knowbody knows... Offically, it says that the investors come from Oman and VAE. But anyhow, I cant wait too see if they will be succesfull since Wizz and Ryanair are very strong in Hungary.
IRANA320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #1662
IRANA320

First MD with IR logo ever... Sad that they have to use these old machines since too many of the other a/c in IR fleet are out of service...
Old September 10th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #1663
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14482

Leased from Bukovyna Aviation, right?
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #1664
IRANA320

yes.
Old September 17th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #1665
IRANA320

check out the fantastic virtual tour of mahan air:
http://www.mahan.aero/virtualtour/index.swf

A3XX liked this post
Old September 18th, 2013, 02:51 AM   #1666
Herbicide
a tangy drink!

Likes (Received): 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRANA320 View Post
check out the fantastic virtual tour of mahan air:
http://www.mahan.aero/virtualtour/index.swf
Most of the Tech Support Team look foreign.
Herbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #1667
Amirex111

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicide View Post
Most of the Tech Support Team look foreign.
It makes sense they would need to hire crews from countries with the experience as most of their planes are new and no Iranian has worked with them ie. A340, BAE, to some degree the A320.
Amirex111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #1668
IRANA320

since mahan has leased most BAEs and their a320s from ukraine, maybe the ukraine owner supports mahan with an own tenical team being sent to iran...
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #1669
IRANA320

I heard Lufthansa is going to phase-out some more a340-300 in the next months, wondering if they also go to Mahan via a third company like their sisters. Since they are built in about 1993, I don't think LH will find other customers for them. But would be interesting to see if Mahan was able to maintain some more a340.
Old September 27th, 2013, 04:50 AM   #1670
Herbicide
a tangy drink!

Likes (Received): 264

Quote:
Accident: Mahan B743 at Kerman on Sep 23rd 2013, overran runway during rejected takeoff
By Simon Hradecky, created Tuesday, Sep 24th 2013 17:57Z, last updated Tuesday, Sep 24th 2013 18:02Z

A Mahan Air Boeing 747-300, registration EP-MNE performing Hajj flight W5-5070 from Kerman (Iran) to Madinah (Saudi Arabia) with 419 passengers and 25 crew, was accelerating for takeoff from Kerman's runway 34 when a problem with one of the engines (CF6) prompted the crew to reject takeoff at high speed just below V1. The aircraft overran the end of the runway and came to a stop about 170 meters past the end of the runway with a number of main gear tyres deflated. 10 passengers received minor injuries.

Kerman's ILS system runway 34 needed to be temporarily taken out of service as result of the overrun.

The runway 16/34 was initially closed and later returned to service with a displaced threshold runway 16 before the aircraft was moved back onto paved surface and onto runway 05/23, where it is currently parked. Runway and ILS were returned to full service at that point.
EP-MNE on soft ground:
http://avherald.com/h?article=468f08ce&opt=0

Last edited by Herbicide; September 29th, 2013 at 12:24 AM.
Herbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #1671
A3XX

Likes (Received): 9

Seems like there are talks on restarting direct flights from iran to US.

I hope this will be the starting point for using the best (in my opinion) and most economic (IMO again) east west routes, through Tehran. AND acquisition of better planes for IR of course.

bozenBDJ, IRANA320 liked this post
A3XX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #1672
IRANA320

Airbus is planning a regional version of the a330-300 with a range of up to 5.500 km and up to 400 passengers. I think this would be a perfect plane for Iran, since it has enough capazity to perform haj flights and routes like IKA-DXB or IKA-IST where are often used 747 theses days, which finally could be replaced. But still it has enough range to perform flights to LHR, FRA and CDG in peak seasons where Iran Air flew with 747 before they where banned in the EU.
So lets hope that the sanctions will be lifted soon.

A3XX liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2013, 02:32 PM   #1673
geostudent

Likes (Received): 30

Sanctions in Aviation

Hello there, new here. I spent the summer in Iran and find the whole aviation industry there very interesting. Could one of you experts tell me a bit more about what the sanctions involve?

So I know Iranian airlines cannot buy replacement parts from Boeing and Airbus. How do they maintain their current super old fleet? How many planes are grounded? What is that A340 of Aseman doing in Lourdes???

Also, despite the sanctions, they manage to have an impressive network (shanghai, bangkok, beijing...). Are they profitable? How much does the state support iranian companies? As the rial is so incredibly weak, how can they compete with other gulf state airlines? I know that domestic flights have nationalised fares... is that not making the whole thing weaker?

Finally, concerning the selling of older aircrafts from other companies, isn't Iran the perfect place? Will all the A340 that are currently being phased out here and there (LH, AF...) and Boeing (JAL...) maybe go to Iran? How does that reselling process work?

RIGHT, I know this is an awful long and demanding post, but I am genuinely interested. Would be really happy if somebody takes the time to explain to me, I struggle to find interesting/informative articles on the web on this topic.
geostudent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #1674
geostudent

MASHHAD - HYDERABAD with Aseman???

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...ht-south-india

Did this ever happened?
Old October 25th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #1675
alitezar
Persian 44

Likes (Received): 5593

Hi geostudent- Welcome I don't know if they did or not.

Mahan Air Crew

alitezar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #1676
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2416

Hmmm...lots of cheeks...!
Old October 26th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #1677
IRANA320

Quote:
Originally Posted by geostudent View Post
Hello there, new here. I spent the summer in Iran and find the whole aviation industry there very interesting. Could one of you experts tell me a bit more about what the sanctions involve?

So I know Iranian airlines cannot buy replacement parts from Boeing and Airbus. How do they maintain their current super old fleet? How many planes are grounded? What is that A340 of Aseman doing in Lourdes???

Also, despite the sanctions, they manage to have an impressive network (shanghai, bangkok, beijing...). Are they profitable? How much does the state support iranian companies? As the rial is so incredibly weak, how can they compete with other gulf state airlines? I know that domestic flights have nationalised fares... is that not making the whole thing weaker?

Finally, concerning the selling of older aircrafts from other companies, isn't Iran the perfect place? Will all the A340 that are currently being phased out here and there (LH, AF...) and Boeing (JAL...) maybe go to Iran? How does that reselling process work?

RIGHT, I know this is an awful long and demanding post, but I am genuinely interested. Would be really happy if somebody takes the time to explain to me, I struggle to find interesting/informative articles on the web on this topic.
Hi!

- iranian carriers maintain their planes by scrapping aircrafts and using their parts for their active fleet (e.g Mahan bought some old Thai A300-600 and scrapped them) or buying spare parts on the black market

- i read something like 50 % of the planes in iran are grounded, but it varies from time to time, a nice site for checking that is fleet.myaviation.ir

- aseman has only one a340, they wanted also to buy the second which is in Lourdes, but the acquisiton was cancelled after it became clear that the first a340 ended up with aseman

- mahan air is a 100% private airline and if their routes weren't profitable, they wouldn't serve them. In the past the airlines increased their prices for international flights since the rial became so weak, but i'm not an expert on that field, i only know that many iranian airlines have high debts at the iranian oil company which sells the fuel to the airlines. Some years ago the government announced, that airlines can make own prices for domestic flights, i dont know excactly if this became true

- yeah in the past for example ex lufthansa aircrafts ended up in iran, to be excact about 10 a300-600 and 2 a340 aircrafts. But the problem is that all planes have to go via a third company (mostly it is an ukraine company) because the us sets carriers under pressure not to sell planes directly to iran. Sometimes, iranian airlines found airlines which will never take off in order to be able to buy planes like mahan did: two lufthansa a340 were sold by lufthansa two a thai carrier called "Chaba Air". The planes stood about half a year on a tarmac in bangkok and ended up in Iran. The other problem is that its difficult for iranian companies to maintain modern planes like a340 because of lack of spare parts. But there are two solutions: Either they buy e.g 10 planes and use 2 only for spare parts, or they lease them from e.g an ukraine company and leave them in the ukraine register, then, spare parts are not a problem since they are sometimes maintained not in iran.

regards

geostudent liked this post
Old October 27th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #1678
geostudent

Thank you!

- i read something like 50 % of the planes in iran are grounded, but it varies from time to time, a nice site for checking that is fleet.myaviation.ir
--> 50% ??? That's crazy.

- aseman has only one a340, they wanted also to buy the second which is in Lourdes, but the acquisiton was cancelled after it became clear that the first a340 ended up with aseman
--> That's sad. Who does it currently belong to?

Some years ago the government announced, that airlines can make own prices for domestic flights, i dont know excactly if this became true
--> No Prices are still the same for all companies, I witnessed it this summer. Tehran-Yazd is I think something like 25€. But I ended up taking the Bus.

So for how long do you think can they realistically continue to use their A300-600 and A310?
Old October 27th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #1679
IRANA320

I dont know who the a340 in lourdes is belonging to.

Well I think they can continue operating their a306/310 fleet, since they absolutely are the main types in IR/W5 fleet, and it would be impossible to replace them because there are so many of this planes in the fleet. And which type could replace a306/310? A321? Hard to get and to maintain. 757? impossible and senseless. A330? forget it....
But since IR still flies their old 747, i think the a306/310 will stay in their fleet for many years, maybe for 10 more years. But that depends on the sanctions, but even when the sanctions were lifted, i dont think that e.g iran air had the money to buy new planes to replace their complete fleet at once.
Old October 28th, 2013, 02:32 AM   #1680
geostudent

I see. It's so sad to trace Iran Air's history from its glorious past to what they are today. But I really admire that they still manage to expand and don't give up... I really want to fly with them, the aircraft was full last time I tried.

If sanctions were lifted, due to Iran's geographical location, they could be so super competitive with gulf states' & Turkish airlines in offering connections between Asia/Australia and Europe! Tehran could be a world hub! ah... If Air France, BMI, KLM, Swiss and Austrian could come back, that would already be nice.

But hey, Mahan just launched Dubai-Shiraz!

A3XX liked this post

Tags
iran, middle eastern airlines