daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2014, 04:22 AM   #1921
IranAir

Likes (Received): 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
By the way, I have a question: if the sanctions against Iran are lifted, could Iran Air's first move would be to buy new aircraft in order to replace their old B747s and A300s? If so, will it be buying second-hand (long-haul) aircraft for a while until it can re-establish its status as a reputable carrier?

I mean, I am hopeful that Bombardier can break the ice with Iran Air (Homa) and allow it to buy the C-Series aircraft so that it can finally modernize itself.
Iran Air will want to buy new airlines. The CEO has stated they want modern 737 MAX, 777 and 787 or the Airbus alternatives A320 neo family, A330 neo and A350. It depends on whether they can negotiate a good deal with Airbus or Boeing. They will also in the future consider 747-8 but not for now.

Anyway a lot of the modern planes will have a waiting list but both Airbus and Boeing offer replacement aircraft which can be swapped later.

Re Bombardier Iran Air has said nothing but Bombardier wants to come to Iran and there will be interest.

My view is Mahan will go for an all Airbus fleet and Iran Air for an all Boeing fleet. It is just much cheaper and better for maintenance. The other airlines in Iran will go for CSeries.

As promised I will write my views on aircraft strategy by next week.

fieldsofdreams liked this post
IranAir no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2014, 04:27 AM   #1922
IranAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRANA320 View Post
I agree with you that IR website is simply horrible, but Mahan Air's one has improved significantly in last time, e.g they have introduced a virtual tour inside their planes. I like the website and think that the design is up to date. They have also a mobile version of their website.
Website is alright. It has good features but it is still not as fresh as British Airways or American Airlines. Also, English section has typos and Mahan Air is written in lower case in some places!

But I agree there has been progress. However, I have not seen a mobile app that can be downloaded from the app store.

Quote:
If you compare IKA airport to other airports in Iran like Mehrabad, you have to admit that it is really modern. Aditionally the departure floor is kept really bright with the large use of glass. The departure floor does not have to hide from other airports in the region. Also when it comes to cleanliness IKA is good in my opinion.
I do not want to compare IKA to Mehrabad that was built over 40 years ago. The comparison with other airports in Iran is bizarre. Imagine I suck at singing and sing 10 songs. Because one of the 10 is much better than the rest it does not make that one song good.

So IKA is good because it is kept clean? Seriously you guys have such low expectations it is unreal.

1. Visually nowhere near new airports I have seen (Heathrow Terminal 5, Hong Kong, Denver, Seoul, Toronto, Frankfurt and many more). Not near regional airports such as Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Qatar or Istanbul either. I am sure it is better than Kabul and Karachi if that is your measuring stick.

2. Still no metro connection

3. Lot of signs have English mistakes

4. No sufficient parking

5. No section for different airlines

6. Domestic flights somehwere else

7. Departure security with the first security a joke as it is not needed. It is inefficient

8. Second security check before gates retarded. Why not have one security check instead after passport control before you go to central hall

9. Few toilets and even fewer urinals which are in special rooms. Toilets also have no proper air ventilation

10. Few shops and no proper lounge

11. After the second security check you end up in glass halls with no shops. Chairs there are super ugly

12. Arrival is much better but passport area sucks. If 3 flights land there is chaos

Overall the interior is not well designed. Because people who run the airpot are revolutionary guards and not professionals who know about airport management

firoz bharmal, irani1378 liked this post

Last edited by IranAir; November 9th, 2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old November 9th, 2014, 10:29 AM   #1923
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11258

Iran Aseman Airlines Fokker 100 (reg. EP-AST)

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

billding liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #1924
IRANA320

Likes (Received): 93

Tomorrow on 12th November, Mahan Air should take off for the first time to Munich. But seemingly this was thrown over. Flight 102 tomorrow is "cancelled" according to Mahan website, furthermore flights to Munich are starting on 18 March, according to Mahan Air online timetable. The advertising for Munich flights is also removed from their website.
Unfortunately there is no explanation for this drawback. In my opinion this behaviour puts a question mark over the reliabilty of Mahan Air and their management.
IRANA320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #1925
IranAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRANA320 View Post
Tomorrow on 12th November, Mahan Air should take off for the first time to Munich. But seemingly this was thrown over. Flight 102 tomorrow is "cancelled" according to Mahan website, furthermore flights to Munich are starting on 18 March, according to Mahan Air online timetable. The advertising for Munich flights is also removed from their website.
Unfortunately there is no explanation for this drawback. In my opinion this behaviour puts a question mark over the reliabilty of Mahan Air and their management.
Did anyone have tickets?
Old November 11th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #1926
IranAir

My thoughts on Mahan Air

Below my thoughts on Mahan Air.

I also tried to send them feedback on the website but the text was too long and I could not submit it. If anyone has an email from them please share with me.

1. Website
Looks great, but:
A) the English website still has too many grammer mistakes
B) there are inconsistencies in spelling i.e. Mahan Air vs. mahan air
C) the section on seat maps is great but the seat map pictures do not correspond to the number of seats written next to them. (i.e. for one plane I can see 12 business class seats on the picture but next to it it says there are 10 business class seats!)
D) Mahan Air should provide seat width and seat pitch for each plane as well as information on whether planes have WiFi or entertainment systems for each seat or not (a good page that has this is "seat guru")
E) Mahan Air should create a smartphone application (for iPhone and Galaxy). Good applications to look at are Delta Airlines and British Airways

2. Cabin
The new A300-600 cabin is fantastic.
What is very important is to:
A) make sure all planes have identical interior. American Airlines is currently doing that as well. It creates a much better feeling for passengers and they will feel more connected to the airline. I hope the same interior can be fitted into other planes
B) I think all European and Far Eastern routes need to have a flat screen for each seat. Even if entertainment Mahan Air can offer is limited. They can at least introduce games, news, sports, and some censored movies if possible (or at least Iranian, Chinese, Indian movies). It should also include dynamic flight maps, information about Mahan Air fleet, frequent flyer and a survey
C) Short haul flights should at least offer WiFi
D) each economy seat should have a USB charger

3. Livery
The Mahan Air livery needs to be modernized. Livery attracts a lot of international customers and a fresh livery designed by foreign design companies can have a great impact.
What is especially horrible on Mahan Air livery is the big black font of Mahan Air and the oversized Iran flag (which should be smaller or deleted).
The font of Air New Zealand is nice, maybe in dark green colour.
I am by no means a design expert but I think the new Iraqi Airways livery is very nice. Also nice liveries are those of Malaysia A380 or ANA.
Most importantly the livery should be consistent across all planes (currently not the case).
Finally, the aircraft type should appear on the plane front (Emirates does this).

4. Strategy
In my view rather than using big planes Mahan Air should opt for small planes but more frequent flights. Use smaller planes to Yerevan but have daily flights for example. This is what American airlines do and why transit works so well in the United States.

Mahan Air should become the main hub for Central Asia and the Caucasus and later also transit people from Mediterranean, India and China.

5. Terminal
Mahan Air should build its own terminal at IKA and operate both domestic and international flights from there.

6. Planes
When sanctions are lifted Mahan Air will have to buy new planes. It is very important to operate a modern efficient fleet to reduce fuel and maintenance costs as well as compete with Emirates, Etihad, Qatar Airways and Turkish Airlines.

Given current experience I think Mahan Air will opt for an all Airbus fleet.

Each economy seat should have 18'' width and on short haul flights 31" pitch, on medium haul flights 32" pitch and long haul flights 33" pitch. The pitch will be very important given Mahan Air cannot offer alcohol or certain movies.

The fleet could have the A319neo and A320neo for short-haul flights (less than 3.5 hrs), the A321 neo with full flat bed business class and A330-800 for medium haul flights and A350-900 for long haul flights.

fieldsofdreams liked this post

Last edited by IranAir; November 13th, 2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old November 12th, 2014, 12:13 AM   #1927
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

And speaking of your thoughts on Mahan Air...

Mahan Air A300-600, aircraft interior (reg. EP-MNH) -- showing a refreshed J class

I must say, for an Iranian carrier, this is indeed progress to me. Does it have PTV for each seat across both J and Y classes?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

Equario, firoz bharmal, IranAir, irani1378 liked this post
Old November 12th, 2014, 03:35 PM   #1928
IRANA320

Likes (Received): 93

Iranair you got pm

IranAir liked this post
IRANA320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #1929
billding

Likes (Received): 733

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
This livery tail is so much better, as mentioned in a previous post this is exactly what I had suggested only drop the logo move it in small size near cockpit, bring stripes right down to belly, paint full belly white, use interesting new typeface for name the newer persian one is on a340 is good, move flag in small size to rear near registration.

This would have been very appropraite livery for Aseman if they were to operate as an LCC with just A320/F100 and ATR 72 http://www.airliners.net/photo/Up-%2...3a55c0bf1fe3f4

Last edited by billding; November 12th, 2014 at 07:36 PM.
billding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 01:28 AM   #1930
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Iran Air B747-200 (reg. EP-IAI)

Old November 16th, 2014, 02:04 AM   #1931
IranAir

As mentioned before, I believe Mahan Air is doing a great job and will probably work towards an all Airbus fleet once sanctions are lifted.

I do not think Iran Air has a bright future but believe Iran needs two large airlines to have competition.

I think for a new airline a great name would be Persian Airlines branded as Persian. The livery also should have the wording 2500 Years of Hospitality.

I think the new airline should start planning when sanctions are lifted and build its own terminal at IKA and aim to be operational in the next three years.

Given alcohol will be forbidden and entertainment will be limited comfort becomes very important. That means, frequent flights with short transit times, modern planes and very comfortable seating.

The new airline should serve as a regional hub only out of Tehran IKA, primarily for Lebanon, Greece and Cyprus to Russia / CIS and Asia Pacific and for Iraq, Kurdistan, the Caucasus region, Central Asia and big Iranian cities to all major routes.

It should fly at least 6 daily flights to Mashhad, Tabriz, Isfahan, Shiraz, and Kish and 3 daily flights to Kerman, Yazd and Qeshm.

I will later write about which routes should be served but I believe every route should at least have one daily flight. Better to have smaller planes and fewer routes but frequency.

Regions should be split into three categories:

1. Domestic & Regional (SHORT-HAUL <3.5 hrs)
Domestic includes the Iranian cities I mentioned
Regional includes Athens, Cyprus, Istanbul, Izmir, Irbil, Baghdad, key Persian Gulf capitals, Beirut, Cairo, Tbilisi, Yerevan, Baku, Moscow, Kabul and key Central Asian capitals.

2. Europe & South Asia (MEDIUM-HAUL <6.0 hrs)
Should include key European cities such as London, Paris, Amsterdam, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Berlin, Dusseldorf, Geneva, Vienna, Budapest, Milan, Rome, Madrid and key cities in India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and the Maldives.

3. North America & Asia Pacific (LONG-HAUL >6.0 hrs)
There should be flights to most Far East capitals including Singapore and Hong Kong. There should also be a flight serving Melbourne-Sydney.
On the North American routes the following would be suitable: Los Angeles, New York and Toronto as well as Vancouver-San Francisco, Washington DC-Chicago and Dallas-Houston.

The airline should also in the future fly to South America and Africa. It should also aim to join the One World alliance.

With regards to fleet, it should aim to operate similar type and efficient aircraft.

CS300 (Regional) for short haul routes
130 passengers (all economy)
Economy seats:
Leather seats
5 abreast (2-3)
32" pitch
18.5" and 19.0" width
Every seat should have USB chargers
Plane should have WiFi

CS300 (International) for less busy medium haul routes
101 passengers (16 fully flat bed business seats and 85 economy)
Economy seats:
Cloth seats
5 abreast (2-3)
32" pitch
18.5" and 19.0" width
Every seat should have entertainment system and USB chargers
Plane should have WiFi

787-8 for busy medium haul and long haul routes
241 passengers (21 fully flat bed business seats and 220 economy)
Economy seats:
Cloth seats
8 abreast (2-4-2)
32" pitch
19.0" width
Plane should have WiFi

787-9 only to LA, Vancouver-San Francisco, Melbourne-Sydney
278 seats (21 fully flat business seats and 257 economy)
Economy seats:
Cloth seats
8 abreast (2-4-2)
32" pitch
19" width
Plane should have WiFi

fieldsofdreams, billding liked this post

Last edited by IranAir; November 16th, 2014 at 02:17 AM.
Old November 16th, 2014, 02:08 AM   #1932
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Sounds like an excellent plan! Makes me want to do a similar strategy for the ailing carriers in my country, the Philippines. And by the way, are you looking into acquiring the B777 as well (especially the B777-300ER)?

Old November 17th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #1933
geostudent

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranAir View Post

3. North America & Asia Pacific (LONG-HAUL >6.0 hrs)
There should be flights to most Far East capitals including Singapore and Hong Kong. There should also be a flight serving Melbourne-Sydney.
On the North American routes the following would be suitable: Los Angeles, New York and Toronto as well as Vancouver-San Francisco, Washington DC-Chicago and Dallas-Houston.

The airline should also in the future fly to South America and Africa. It should also aim to join the One World alliance.
Why OneWorld? Don't they fit right into StarAlliance? Also, I'm pretty sure 747-8i or A380 would be suitable for N.America and Asia, no?
geostudent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 12:51 PM   #1934
IranAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by geostudent View Post
Why OneWorld? Don't they fit right into StarAlliance? Also, I'm pretty sure 747-8i or A380 would be suitable for N.America and Asia, no?
1. 747-8i and A380
I don't think they are suitable for airlines that are establishing themselves.
At the start you need a high frequency of flights to establish a proper transit.

Better to have multiple flights a day rather than one A380 flight in one or two days.

Also, maintenance becomes more difficult with more aircraft type in the fleet and handling of the two 4 engine planes are not possible at all airports.

They are just needed once an airline is established and already has many flights to a destination or when you cannot get many landing slots at an airport. Heathrow which has no more slots is expected to serve 50% of A380s.

I love the 747-8 more but the 777x and A350-1000 are more efficient alternatives and the 747 will end up being a cargo plane.

One final note in the US United and Delta have few 747s and are phasing them out. American which is the world's biggest airline has no 4 engine plane. In fact in its massive fleet the larges plane is the 777-300ER of which it just has 12.

I also believe that is a better system.

2. One World
It was just a sugestion because Cathay Pacific, Qantas and JAL could handle Asia Pacific, BA could offer slots at Heahrow and open many routes. Iberia and TAM could open up Latin America and American would help North America.

I also fly BA and American the most and their new cabins are my favourites of any airline.
Old November 19th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #1935
IranAir

Very interesting news:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/persian/iran/20...import_licence

Importing planes into Iran no longer needs a license. Just flying them will but it seems that is easy to get.

Several Iranian and foreign investors have expressed interest.

I hope this means one professional new airline rather than many small crap ones.

geostudent, billding liked this post
Old November 19th, 2014, 04:25 PM   #1936
billding

Likes (Received): 733

Funny you should mention Persian Airlines I was just thinking of that yesterday and was going to ask why no airline is named that in Iran, are they not allowed?
billding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #1937
geostudent

Iran vs. Persia

Quote:
Originally Posted by billding View Post
Funny you should mention Persian Airlines I was just thinking of that yesterday and was going to ask why no airline is named that in Iran, are they not allowed?
The word Persian is mostly used by Iranians abroad than by Iranians in Iran, because the Iranian diaspora doesn't like to be associated with modern day Iran (as in the Islamic Republic), but Iran is actually the more ancient name and most people in Iran (I'm saying MOST, not all), prefer to identify with Iran rather than Persia. Hence, while us Westerners wonder why there is no Persian airlines, I would guess that Iran is just more straightforward and evocative to Iranian airline officials in Iran.
Old November 19th, 2014, 06:37 PM   #1938
IranAir

Persia is a province in Iran. The reason the West called Iran as Persia is that at the time Iran attacked Greece the rulers were from Persia. So the Greek called all Iranians Persians and the West took that. That is also why the main city back then was called Persepolis which means city of Persians.

Iran is not an older term than Persian. Iranian Kings usually referred to the area they controlled as the Kingdom of the Aryans. I think the term Iran which means Land of the Aryans was first used under the Sassanid Empire less than 2000 years ago when they called their country Iranshahr.

Anyway, until Reza Shah forced the West to call Iran as Iran in Iran it was called Iran and in the West it was called Persia. But even today in the south we have the province of Fars which means Persia with Shiraz as its capital. Needless to say Persepolis and Pasargard are also there.

All that aside Persian is associated with luxury and I think it would be a great name for an airline.

alejandro DS liked this post

Last edited by IranAir; November 19th, 2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old November 19th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #1939
geostudent

The province is called Fars, which indeed means Persia, but equally Persia used to be the way europeans named Iran as a whole and Fars/Persia used to be much bigger than the province Fars today, so I wouldn't say Persia is just a province.

I think "Iran" is maybe younger in that exact spelling, but the word and origins is older than the word Persia... at least that's how I understood the various wiki articles.

To me Persia sounds like a thing of the past, I associate it with the way foreigners misinterpret Iran, having that slightly mystified image of a place full of carpets, belly dancers and harems... And while it sounds luxurious, I just don't like that connotation, because it simplifies modern Iran so much. So if it was up to me, I'd defo stay with Iran/Iranian.
Old November 19th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #1940
IranAir

This has nothing to do with the past.

We were talking about the name for an airline which is suitable and good for branding. If it was the national carier it should be called Iranian. But it is not. For a new private airline Persian is a great and suitable name which can be associated with a luxury brand.

Tags
iran, middle eastern airlines