daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #61
WpG_GuY

Likes (Received): 24

Workers on Friday installed the base for the first of three tower cranes that will soon start sprouting at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights construction site at The Forks.

In contrast to the fact it will be one of the most complicated and sophisticated construction projects in Winnipeg, workers fumbled with a low-tech measuring tape as the tower crane base was set up.

But it means that the anticipated building destined to become a Winnipeg landmark will soon make its presence known above ground.

"Since April all the work has been below the surface," said the museum's chief operating officer, Patrick O'Reilly. "Now it will start to look like something as opposed to just a bunch of holes in the ground. It will be visible. People will start to see constant change."

The first construction crane is to be in place Sept. 10.

Workers are constructing the floor in the first of four excavations that will become what the architects call the four "roots" of the building.

Todd Craigen, construction manager for PCL Construction, the project's general contractor, said, "There is no question, it is very challenging from a construction and engineering aspect."

The $205-million construction project -- that is the cost of the base building construction, not including any of the museum's fixtures or operation -- is about six months into its 36 month-long schedule.

With about 60 craft workers and 20 salaried people on site, it will grow in intensity to about 200 workers plus 50 others at its peak.

Because the building will not have a standard rectangular footprint, there is an extra level of sophistication required in the sequencing of construction work.

The glass "cloud"-covered building will sit on 135 six-foot-wide concrete caissons and 370 smaller precast concrete piles rather than a typical basement excavation.

The Antoine Predock-designed, castle-like glass edifice is designed with a base of four "roots," each requiring excavation.

On Friday, the last caisson for root-A, the northern root section, was being drilled. The four rigs deployed on the site have 60 more caissons left to excavate 15 to 30 metres below grade.

Although there were some challenges in the initial pile driving, Craigen said it was not surprising considering the notorious Red River gumbo that the building will sit on.

"We knew that and we planned ahead with lots of contingencies to do some re-sequencing to make sure the scheduling remains on track," O'Reilly said. "It's not really a surprise. But you always hope there's less rather than more."

While there have been cost overruns, Susanne Robertson, the museum's chief financial officer, said the $205-million base cost ought to be a fairly reliable number now.

"We have already tendered 76 per cent of the base building costs," she said. "Some have come in higher than we budgeted for, some lower."

If the companies that win the tenders run over budget it becomes their responsibility, not the building owner's.

The tendering has been global, but at the same time, O'Reilly said, since it is a federal Crown corporation, there is a desire to use Canadian suppliers whenever possible.

Craigen said because of the complexity of the project, the most sophisticated construction management tools are being used.

He said all the subcontractors are working off the same 3-D modelling using Autodesk Revit architecture software so that when a change is made, it's automatically updated across the project.

"It also allows us to do something called clash detection," he said. "That's when architectural elements or structural elements or engineering elements clash with each other in the design -- for instance a steel beam running through some duct work. The program will flag that and we can address it at the design and planning stage rather than in the middle of construction."

O'Reilly said the tendering sequence that is being used allows the experts in the various aspects of the project to have plenty of time for input into the design.

For instance, the contract to produce and install the glass shroud "cloud" was awarded about 16 months ago to the firm Josef Gartner GmbH of Gundelfingen, Germany.

"That gives them time to finesse and improve design to find cost savings that exists and even more importantly, to make sure ongoing costs are minimized," O'Reilly said.

"Improvements have been made to the glass continually over the last 16 months."

As well, Craigen said PCL has done its own complete thermal mock-up, testing the glass in a cold weather chamber here in Winnipeg to make sure the performance values that were specified are actually being met by the glass.

Speaking of the cold weather, it is not something that Craigen and PCL are particularly concerned about over the next two-and-a-half years of construction.

He said the tower cranes have limited operation when it gets too cold but Western Canadian crews are resilient when it comes to cold weather work.

[email protected]

Working all

the angles

Building the museum

In addition to the intricate architectural design, construction of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights features additional layers of complication.

"÷ Archeological -- Despite complaints that not enough attention is being paid to the historic significance of the site, archeologists are on site sifting through virtually every load of dirt being lifted in the process of creating caissons and piles the museum is being built on.

"÷ Aboriginal heritage -- Because the site has cultural significance to the aboriginal people of the region, a medicine bag is placed in each of the 505 foundation holes that have been excavated, then filled with steel rebar and concrete.

"÷ Environmental -- The site is on the edge of the busiest tourist site in the city, so special attention is being paid to keep the dust and rubble within the confines of the construction site.

Local contractors

PCL, one of the country's largest construction companies, is the general contractor and subtrades from around the world have won tenders, but several local companies have significant roles to play in the project, including:

"÷ Smith Carter Architects and Engineers Inc. -- architect of record

"÷ Wescan Electrical Mechanical Service -- mechanical engineering

"÷ Derksen Plumbing & Heating Ltd. -- plumbing services

"÷ Subterranean Ltd. -- foundation and excavation work

Economic impact of construction

"÷ 6,000 -- person years of employment in Canada (including 3,500 in Manitoba)

"÷ $133.9 million -- total labour income in Manitoba

"÷ $23.3 million -- provincial income and sales tax

"÷ $171.4 million -- contribution to provincial gross domestic product
WpG_GuY no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #62
WpG_GuY

1AJS can you change the tital of this thread of CMHR to Canadian Museum for Human Rights please, thanks.
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #63
1ajs

Likes (Received): 726

that not what i called this thread origonaly wpg_guy one of the mods must of changed it

i keep forgeting i have a thread going on this site also

aug 18th
image hosted on flickr
1ajs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #64
WpG_GuY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
that not what i called this thread origonaly wpg_guy one of the mods must of changed it

i keep forgeting i have a thread going on this site also
Well change it to Museum for Human Rights then, so that's at least in the title.
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #65
1ajs

contact one then

anyhow
Live interactive webcam << have to be in IE to view
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #66
1ajs

image hosted on flickr

and a interesting shot from dan harper showing just how huge this project is

http://www.danharperphotography.com
Old August 27th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #67
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 80

wowza, thanks for the new pictures...looking forward to seeing this become a reality!
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #68
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Scandinavia isn't a country, and Iceland is in Scandinavia, but point taken. As was stated, our beginnings were less than ideal, but Canada has become a nation that champions human dignity. From voting rights for women, to equal marriage, to multiculturalism and equality enshrined in our Constitution, Canada is about inclusion and tolerance today. This museum is a natural progression of that. Everything about this project seems so very right; even the location. When this place opens in 2012 it will be a momentous day for all Canadians.
I don't see these things as being 'special to Canada' at all. Canada didn't even lead the way in voting rights for women (New Zealand was the first nation to introduce it in 1893, Australia in 1902, Canada 15 years later in 1917). Gay marriage had been around in numerous countries beforehand.

That said, it's good to see a nation enshrining human rights as something fundamental (whether a heavily symbolic token museum was needed is another debate altogether).

Why was Winnipeg chosen as the site for the museum anyway? Is it part of some rejuvination plan for the city?
Old August 27th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #69
WpG_GuY

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post

Why was Winnipeg chosen as the site for the museum anyway? Is it part of some rejuvination plan for the city?
Winnipeg wasnĺt chosen, the entire concept was developed here. It was first talked about around 1999 by its creator/founder Israel Asper, a prominent local businessman. The Asper Family runs Canwest Global, the third largest media company in Canada. Izzy died a short after and his daughter Gail took on the project. In 5 years she was able to raise over 100 million dollars from the private sector for the museum. The Government of Canada also committed $100 million. In order to qualify for annual operating costs from the federal government the project would need to become a national museum which means it would be funded and operated by the feds. But no national museum had ever been located outside of Ottawa. Long story short it passed in parliament to make this museum this first national museum outside of the capitol region.
It was never intended to be anywhere but Winnipeg. It will play a huge role in the city's rejuvenation.
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #70
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
I don't see these things as being 'special to Canada' at all. Canada didn't even lead the way in voting rights for women (New Zealand was the first nation to introduce it in 1893, Australia in 1902, Canada 15 years later in 1917). Gay marriage had been around in numerous countries beforehand.

That said, it's good to see a nation enshrining human rights as something fundamental (whether a heavily symbolic token museum was needed is another debate altogether).

I'm not sure where I've stated that Canada is unique in the world when it comes to these things. You're reading far more into this than was written. All that's been said is that Canada is a fitting place for such a museum.

Regarding Winnipeg as the location for such a museum, I'm just glad it's here rather than Ottawa or one of the big 3 cities. If this had been bestowed by the feds, Winnipeg would likely have been over looked. Winnipeg took the initiative and is bearing the fruit of their labour. I'm very impressed with the brazen, ambitious, get things done attitude in this city. They're certainly doing many of the right things to put Winnipeg back on the path to national prominence.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; August 28th, 2009 at 12:02 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #71
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'm not sure where I've stated that Canada is unique in the world when it comes to these things. You're reading far more into this than was written. All that's been said is that Canada is a fitting place for such a museum.
PHEW! I thought that my sight and logic was going for a second there...
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #72
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Yeah, people tend to take leaps of logic that they really shouldn't. Usually it's best to just read what's written rather than make inferences that just aren't there to be made.

Any way, back to the museum. I'm eager with anticipation.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:15 PM   #73
1ajs

tower crane 1 base now in
image hosted on flickr
Old September 12th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #74
1ajs

image hosted on flickr
Old September 12th, 2009, 06:36 AM   #75
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

A fantastic futuristic design ... I like it very much!

When this is completed I plan on putting Winnipeg on my "must see" list of places to visit. The concept of a museum for human rights is excellent idea; although not uniquely original ... here in Philly, not more than 3 blocks from Independence Hall is the National Liberty Museum which is dedicated to the human struggle to overcome tyranny, despotism, discrimination and bigotry. One aspect of this museum is to honor and memorialize the likes of Susan B. Anthony, the Mahatma Gandhi, Dr. Martin Luther King, Anne Frank, Mother Theresa, Harvey Milk, etc.
Old September 14th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #76
1ajs

from the web cam
Old September 25th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #77
1ajs

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #78