daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:17 AM   #1
Yörch

Likes (Received): 236

London Twenty-five / Londres Veinticinco / Londres Vingt-cinq

Last December I was in Paris and decided to detour to London... It was awesome. I think that London is a bit underrated and what I found was a huge surprise.

So now, I show you the London I saw in 25 pictures... Enjoy and leave a comment!

The very first thing I saw when I came out of the Victoria Station. I arrived form Paris to St. Pancras and immediatly took the tube to get to the Victoria area. It was a splash of color an joy to my eyes after two weeks in Paris... Ok, I now this pic is b/w but maybe it was too much color in that moment...

"...I'm definitely in London!"

As a good tourist I rushed into the Buckinham Palace, not as sumptuous as I thought but I loved St. James's Park.

I love just to walk and get lost in a city, I feel it that way...

Architectural variety... I love that, it's a joy for my eyes and since I'm from Mexico City I'm quite used to it

Ok, now I have to ask... I never got what this monument is? I just read Glorious Death but, could someone explain me better?

Well, 10 more pictures in the next block. I hope you liked these.
Yörch está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:26 AM   #2
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 906

Nice set of pics man!
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:24 AM   #3
streetlegal

Likes (Received): 250

The monument in Whitehall is called the Cenotaph. It is the national site for remembrance of the war dead and a ceremony takes places every November in which wreathes of poppies are lain by various war dignitaries, the Queen and the Prime Minister.

PS since you visited in December you can still see the wreathes of poppies that had been laid. Poppies originate from World War 2 since they grew quickly in the fields of battle after the fighting had stopped . . .

Last edited by streetlegal; February 23rd, 2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Addition
streetlegal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8793

Great shots indeed! London I'd not say is underrated at all, many people think of it as a primary destination (then forget about the UK entirely).

Now I'm seriously homesick.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

I love the area around Victoria station accompanied by the new ultra-funky modern building which can be seen in the first pic. Not bad
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:52 PM   #6
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244370

That area of London looks great
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:36 AM   #7
Yörch

Hey! Thank you all for your comments and thank you Streetlegal for explaining what the monument is...

Well, 10 more pictures to come.

I walked all along Whitehall Street looking the legendary Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament.

I amazed about the age of the St. Margaret's Chapel (and for some reason I didn't get any picture of the Westminster Abbey that deserved to be here... too bad)

After walking around the Westminster Area I took a taxi to get to the Knightsbridge St., and having lunch at Harrods 101's Yo! Sushi (which I loved)

The luxury at Harrods was brutal, I mean was huge and caused impact. I've been at some Saks 5th Ave. Stores and Galeries Lafayette but Harrods is totally different.

Then I couldn't miss the touristy Piccadilly Circus

The rest of the pics are coming tomorrow... Please leave your comments!
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #8
Looking/Up

Likes (Received): 643

Beautiful pictures of London! You captured some very beautiful vistas. London is, in my opinion, the most beautiful city in the world.

I find it a bit funny that you go to London and have sushi there
Looking/Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 06:28 AM   #9
Yörch

Thank you!

London is such a beautiful city. But sometimes it is opaqued by the Parisian splendour.

About the sushi... After several days in Paris I desperately needed something quite familiar ans easy and nothing better than pop-sushi... And the place look quite funky. But I also had "fish and fries"...
Old February 24th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #10
ale2785

Likes (Received): 0

Great pictures! I agree that walking around and getting "lost" is the best way to visit a city.
ale2785 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #11
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

I really miss streetscapes like that.

Old February 24th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #12
Yörch

You're really homesick...! But I don't blame you, it is really enjoyable to walg over streets like Knightsbridge, Whitehall, Regent St., Oxford St. and lots more.
Old February 26th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #13
Yörch

Ok, and finally the last 5 pictures to make the 25...

Still in Piccadilly...

The Tube... Oh I love the Tube! At first sight it looks it's going to be quite complicated to use but it was not. Those wonderful lifts that take you down are wonderful after walking and walking in the city.

And I ended my day shopping at Covent Garden area. Here the Long Acre Rd.

Hope you liked the pics! And thank you for your comments!
Old February 26th, 2009, 04:50 AM   #14
Brazil_Gold Coast

Likes (Received): 0

London is amazing! I was there for two days only last May and absolutely LOVED it! I was lucky enough to get sunny days but I had an absolute blast. The city was like eyedrops to my eyes, with those amazing buildings everywhere, so much happenning, so mch to see and do. Definately one of the coolest cities on the planet!
Brazil_Gold Coast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #15
Dubai-Toluca
B.I.O.N.I.C.

Likes (Received): 20

Hey, good thread bloke, London is definitely one of the most awesome cities all over the world, I love that city, Im sure you ate fish & chips, right?

I love london, I should to live there, who with? maybe on my own or with a nice british....

Thanks for showing us your always nice shots!

London is waiting for me for the next Olympic Games, did you go to a town or city near London, or only you stayed there

Cheers
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #16
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Great shots indeed! London I'd not say is underrated at all, many people think of it as a primary destination (then forget about the UK entirely).

Now I'm seriously homesick.
I know what you mean

Looking at photos of all the fantastic old buildings, manicured parks and people in coats... makes me incredibly homesick.

You don't have any plans to move back? I'll head back to the UK in a few years, once the economy there picks up. I'd love to live in London again, but doubt I could afford it for a while. I was thinking about giving Brighton, Manchester or Glasgow a go.
Old February 28th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #17
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
I know what you mean

Looking at photos of all the fantastic old buildings, manicured parks and people in coats... makes me incredibly homesick.

You don't have any plans to move back? I'll head back to the UK in a few years, once the economy there picks up. I'd love to live in London again, but doubt I could afford it for a while. I was thinking about giving Brighton, Manchester or Glasgow a go.
Definitely planning on going back (to that general area anyway)

I'm applying to do my PhD in Berlin at the MDC, Cambridge Uni, Manchester Uni, Liverpool Uni various London Uni's and other places in the UK. I'll basically go anywhere in Europe that offers English speaking PhD research on Cancer Cell Biology and molecular targets; I've just got to focus on getting my 1:1 Masters this year - ergh!
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:09 AM   #18
Yörch

Hey! Thank you all for your comments... And to all those my homesick friends: You should definitely get back to London!!!!
Old March 2nd, 2009, 04:56 AM   #19
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

lovely, my favourite city!
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote