daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 8th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #41
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible View Post
I think you're confusing the usages of "unit" vs "carriage" in this thread.

An EMU/DMU unit would refer to the set of carriages that could not easily be reconfigured without a trip back to a workshop. There's no HSR in Australia but the regional rail services are operated using 2- and 3- carriage DMUs which allow any configuration from two to eight carriages, platform length permitting.

We also have a fleet of single carriage railcars which function as DMUs and can be hooked up to whatever length required. This can be contrasted with the older loco-hauled fleet where the carriages are grouped up into sets between three and six carriages long but typically aren't divided anyway.

Suburban EMUs here contain an unpowered carriage sandwiched between two powered carriages for those seeking a smoother and quieter ride.
To me, an EMU is measured in sets. A carriage is a unit within a set.

That is the correct analogy in my world.

Where a M car is a movement unit, and a T car is a trailor unit.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #42
serdar samanlı

Likes (Received): 21

The main disadvantage of a loco-hauled HST is that the carriages are in great stres from the pull of the front loco combined with the push of the back loco
serdar samanlı no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 07:14 AM   #43
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Also, wheelslip is more of a problem with a locomotive, especially in rainy conditions.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #44
homunwai

Likes (Received): 1

With Talgo Technology, is it correct to say that this will have to be loco push-pull?
homunwai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #45
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62998

The single axle bogies of Talgo cars cannot be powered yet, so you need a separate traction unit for the train to run. But this doesn't necessarily need to be a locomotive, Talgo is developing an EMU right now that has motor cars with passengers. Only the end cars that don't have the trademark Talgo single axle bogies are powered but it will be a completely articulated design making it an real EMU.

Info from the Spanish Train manufacturing thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor_Game View Post
Thanks Solchante, but I think Joseph1951 wanted to know about new news, nothing about what is already known

Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 05:07 AM   #46
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6980

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
Eurotrain: ICE2 power car + TGV Duplex Cars = the beauty of push-pull systems

I have never see that before.

Which speed is this train ?
Where this train functionned ?

Thanks.

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #47
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

While it's not a high speed train, the Dutch double decker VIRM EMU's are easily exchangable, for as far as I know.

Originally, they were delivered as sets of 3 or 4 units. Later on, they were extended to form sets of 4 or 6 units. Units are easily exchanged, for example, during maintenance.

The longest allowed combination is 14 units, which consists of 1 train of 6 units, and 2 trains of 4 units each. This gets you a train length of roughly 400 meters, most platforms in The Netherlands are shorter than that so this combination is unlikely to happen.

If this 14 unit train would be completely full, with every seat and spot taken, it would carry 2057 passengers - staff not included.
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #48
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadiri View Post
I have never see that before.

Which speed is this train ?
Where this train functionned ?

Thanks.
This was the "eurotrain", a joint bid by GEC-Alsthom and Siemens for the Taiwan high speed rail project. One set was formed only, it never ran revenue service, and doesn't exist anymore.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:39 AM   #49
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Furthermore, it's a pair of ICE-1 (or was it ICE-2? I forget) powercars coupled to a TGV Duplex carset. Which is why it looks (IMO) rather ugly. You can also see that it was demonstrated in (or near) Germany, as there's an older ICE trainset in the usual ICE livery in the background.

The new KTX-II units being built by Rotem are largely based of traditional TGV tech, as the (Alstom) TGV Atlantique model is the KTX-I. Alstom, I'm sure, is currently developing an AGV Duplex model.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote