daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 27th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Haddington

Likes (Received): 3

Piccadilly Circus

While browsing the Westminster Council website today I noticed that 3 planning applications for new illuminated adverts had been rejected. The applications were for the London Pavillion (which was plastered in adverts until the late 70s) and now part of the Trocadero.

http://idocs.westminster.gov.uk:8080...e=&pageCount=3

I was disappointed by the rejection so phoned the planning dept and the person said that as a listed building they would never allow adverts on this building or indeed any other in the area.

I protested at this saying that this is what PC was known for world wide and he replied that Westminster is known worldwide for it's heritage and therefore a balance had to be struck which meant limiting the hoardings to the one corner site they currently occupy.

I still think it's a missed opportunity as I preferred the look of PC when the signs were not limied to one corner. I hope Clear Channel appeal. What do others think??
Haddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 27th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #2
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 50

If you look at old PC it's amazing. We need to restore it to it's former glory.
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #3
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1104

I know people scorn at Times Square, but to actually be there is amazing.

Its a visual spectacle of light.

They could at least put another billboard on top of the coke one.

Visit Grantham Linconshire

I am on the twitter @eddyk2
eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #4
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 694

I agree, more billboards and adverts should be allowed. The screen on the corner of Haymarket balances it a bit, but more screens are needed.
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 02:22 AM   #5
potto

Likes (Received): 2046

You should have mentioned the shockingly bad traffic reconfiguration that went hand in hand with this conservative removal of lights.

The only decent bit of Piccadilly Circus is the view looking at the bottom of Regents Street and the Life Assurance building. The rest should be filled with lights.

Shaftsbury Avenue is also all the poorer for its reducation in illuminations.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #6
.Adam

Likes (Received): 186

Shaftesbury avenue should be the pinnacle of the West End, its the heart of theatre land and yet it is lacking any grandeur or glitz, London has some of the most beautiful theatres in the world yet it is let down at night time due its lack of lighting.
That proposed extra screen would have been a big step in the right direction towards lighting up Piccadilly as it should be.
.Adam está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 04:04 AM   #7
delores

Likes (Received): 184

and sort out the pavements around piccadilly too, Westminster havent done anything there since the 80's and its just plain tacky.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #8
The Sage
I want my LBT

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddington View Post
While browsing the Westminster Council website today I noticed that 3 planning applications for new illuminated adverts had been rejected. The applications were for the London Pavillion (which was plastered in adverts until the late 70s) and now part of the Trocadero.

http://idocs.westminster.gov.uk:8080...e=&pageCount=3

I was disappointed by the rejection so phoned the planning dept and the person said that as a listed building they would never allow adverts on this building or indeed any other in the area.

I protested at this saying that this is what PC was known for world wide and he replied that Westminster is known worldwide for it's heritage and therefore a balance had to be struck which meant limiting the hoardings to the one corner site they currently occupy.

I still think it's a missed opportunity as I preferred the look of PC when the signs were not limied to one corner. I hope Clear Channel appeal. What do others think??
I agree with you. How many people do they think come to Piccadilly Circus to gaze at the listed buildings of the Trocadero, compared to how many come for the hustle and bustle and lights and entertainment? Well done to you for calling them and disputing their decision.

You might as well have EH running the show at Westminster for all the difference it would make.
The Sage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 12:18 PM   #9
johnt_gr
A greek iberista

Piccadilly circus looked so amazing in the past! It looked so Times sq back then! Now there is only one corner in the bottom of Regent street occupied with screens, just to remind you PC's former neon glory.
johnt_gr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 05:35 PM   #10
wawd

Likes (Received): 7

anyone got any pics of the old PC, i'd love to see one...
Old March 1st, 2009, 05:51 PM   #11
The Sage
I want my LBT

The Sage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 05:59 PM   #12
Tony Resta
T-Stays

Likes (Received): 25

Woah that was much more vibrant, love it.

Tony Resta | Official Website
Tony Resta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 06:25 PM   #13
wawd

great photo thanks, certainly more vibrant. funny looking at what was advertised back then ...
Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:09 AM   #14
Madman
London 2012

^ well its not that old! look at the cars (ignore the routemasters and blackcabs - they always look old) and the fact they're advertising a concert by Tom Jones.
Madman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:01 AM   #15
Munch

That image looks just like how many developing cities look today - such as Mumbai.
Munch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM   #16
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 292

Certainly colourful, but I prefer it without the neon - the buildings are good enough not to be covered up.

Last edited by Officer Dibble; March 3rd, 2009 at 12:32 AM. Reason: hotlink broke
Officer Dibble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:26 PM   #17
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
^ well its not that old! look at the cars (ignore the routemasters and blackcabs - they always look old) and the fact they're advertising a concert by Tom Jones.
That'll be the 1963 film adaptation of Tom Jones (the Fielding novel).
Old March 2nd, 2009, 04:31 PM   #18
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 190

I have to admit this is a challenge, and I agree with those that despite all the qualities of the architecture at Piccadilly Circus, what made it so memorable is that it is such a focus of activity reinforced by the illuminated adverts. Perhaps there should be a look at returning some more illuminations, though rather than covering the facades, to mount them above the parapets or to build tall advertising towers above some of the buildings on which iluminated signs can be mounted akin to Times Square, Tokyo, or has been recently undertaken at Yonge Street, Toronto. Perhaps some forumers could do a little graphic exercise to explore the visual impact - could be fun?
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 04:47 PM   #19
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 27

The trouble with illuminated adverts is that they are costly to change, unlike a paper bill. Unless they put up a big screen that can be programmed, there's no real demand from advertisers.

The trouble with the big screen is that they completely block out the building they are fixed to and are bad for the environment due to their high electricity consumption.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:31 PM   #20
Vodski Bandit

That 60s photo is increadible. What I also really like apart from the obvious advertising is the apparent lack of street clutter, just the lamp posts and a few traffic lights, much better
Vodski Bandit no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: