daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #1
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

Shangri-La Hotels

post shangri-la hotels around the world here
skyscraper100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #2
skyscraper100
>:

Makati Shangri-La Manila
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #3
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10819

The Shangri-La in Toronto is currently under construction. It will be 65 floors and 214 metres tall.

image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3187/...8331b21d_b.jpg

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:00 AM   #4
jieloe

Likes (Received): 17

Shangri-La Golden Sand Resort, Penang, Malaysia.
by geoff-inOz
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
jieloe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:08 AM   #5
jieloe

Likes (Received): 17

Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort and Spa, Penang, Malaysia

by Samhan
image hosted on flickr

jieloe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:27 AM   #6
c0kelitr0
Resident Whore

Likes (Received): 21

Shangrila's Mactan Resort and Spa
Cebu, The Philippines

c0kelitr0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:19 PM   #7
Rituioo162
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

study hard and get a good job

So how does a parent teach their children, what the school does not? How do you teach accounting to a child? Won't they get bored? And how do you teach investing when as a parent you yourself are risk averse? Instead of teaching my children to simply play it safe, I decided it was best to teach them to play it smart."So how would you teach a child about money and all the things we've talked about?" I asked Robert. "How can we make it easy for parents especially when they don't understand it themselves?""I wrote a book on the subject, " he said."Where is it?""In my computer. It's been there for years in random pieces. I add to it occasionally but I've never gotten around to put it all together. I began writing it after my other book became a best seller, but I never finished the new one. It's in pieces."And in pieces it was. After reading the scattered sections, I decided the book had merit and needed to be shared, especially in these changing times. We agreed to co-author Robert's book.I asked him how much financial information he thought a child needed. He said it would depend on the child. He knew at a young age that he wanted to be rich and was fortunate enough to have a father figure who was rich and willing to guide him. Education is the foundation of success, Robert said. Just as scholastic skills are vitally important, so are financial skills and communication skills.What follows is the story of Robert's two dads, a rich one and a poorone, that expounds on the skills he's developed over a lifetime. The contrast between two dads provides an important perspective. The book is supported, edited and assembled by me. For any accountants who read this book, suspend your academic book knowledge and open your mind to the theories Robert presents. Although many of them challenge the very fundamentals of generally accepted accounting principles, they provide a valuable insight into the way true investors analyze their investment decisions."And you don't?" I asked."No, not really," said rich dad. "If you want to learn to work for money, then stay in school. That is a great place to learn to do that. But if you want to learn how to have money work for you, then I will teach you that wow power leveling. But only if you want to learn.""Wouldn't everyone want to learn that" I asked."No," said rich dad. "Simply because it's easier to learn to work for money, especially if fear is your primary emotion when the subject of money is discussed.wow gold""I don't understand," I said with a frown. buy wow gold for cheap ..."Don't worry about that for now. Just know that it's fear that keeps most people working at a job. The fear of not paying their bills.wow gold, The fear of being fired.wow gold, The fear of not having enough money. The fear ofstarting over. That's the price of studying to learn a profession or trade, and then working for money. Most people become a slave to money... that is wow power leveling web page for cheap wow power leveling, and then get angry at their boss.""Learning to have money work for you is a completely different course of study?" I asked."Absolutely," rich dad answered, "absolutely."When we as parents advise our children to "go to school, study hard and get a good job," we often do that out of cultural habit. It has always been the right thing to do. When I met Robert, his ideas initially startled me. Having been raised by two fathers, he had been taught to strive for two different goals. His educated dad advised him to work for a corporation. His rich dad advised him to own the corporation. Both life paths required education, but the subjects of study were completely different. His educated dad encouraged Robert to be a smart person. His rich dad encouraged Robert to know how to hire smart people.
Rituioo162 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #8
305Lover

Likes (Received): 730

Shangri-La has a future site here in Miami. The project is called Island Gardens. Plans are for it to begin construction as soon as this fall according to the developer. Here is a link to the forum, http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=262090

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7485/02co7.jpg

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7145/03oi5.jpg

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/7...gardensbr6.jpg
305Lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #9
LONDON STAR
"London made me a man"

Shangri-La Hotel London
OPENS 2012

[IMG]http://i43.************/2rgbzu9.jpg[/IMG]
LONDON STAR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #10
syedahsaninam
BANNED

Likes (Received): 162

Shangri la Resort, Sakardu, Pakistan

syedahsaninam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #11
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

Shangri-La Singapore

Revisiting Singapore's Shangri-La

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...hangri-La.html

After more than 30 years, Max Davidson returns to Singapore's Shangri-La hotel to find paradise transformed.

'Has Tony Blair ever stayed here?" I ask, gawping at the presidential suite and its views across Singapore. "No," says my minder. "But his American friend has." She gives a sly wink. "American friend? You don't mean George?" "Uh-huh." Another wink. "And the Beckhams." In fact, the presidential suite in the Valley Wing of the Shangri-La Hotel is so enormous that it could accommodate the Bushes, the Beckhams, plus hangers-on, all at once.

When I first visited the Shangri-La with my parents in 1972, it had only just opened and, compared with the colonial splendours of Raffles, seemed brash and unsophisticated. Now, particularly in the new Valley Wing, it offers the kind of sumptuousness one associates with the Oriental in Bangkok or the Peninsula in Hong Kong.

From the moment you are greeted by the doorman - a character straight out of Gilbert and Sullivan, with an extravagant moustache and even more extravagant hat - you are in a fairytale world. Even the harpist in the lounge, in a red ballgown, looks like a supermodel.

The food is excellent - I have never been so spoiled for choice at breakfast. Omelette or waffles? Mangos or curried prawns? Danish pastries or Japanese noodles? My mind flies back 30 years, eating bog-standard Chinese food at the Shangri-La with my parents, struggling with the chopsticks.

But then Singapore is that sort of place. There never was a nanny state that took its nannying quite so seriously. It is the Mary Poppins of the Orient. Earnest little signs urge you to use sunblock and to queue to the left of the notice and to be careful when you get off the escalator and to use your brakes when you cycle downhill. But behind the control freakery lies dynamism. The cynics sneer, only to be wrong-footed by the pace of progress.

In the five years since I last visited, Singapore has not just spawned more banks, skyscrapers and malls, but let its hair down in all kinds of unexpected ways. You see everything from novelty condom shops to hospital-themed bars where the punters sit in wheelchairs, drinking beer from intravenous bags.

Boat Quay, which used to have the liveliest night life in Singapore, has been overtaken by Clarke Quay, a raucous enclave of louche bars, strange restaurants and noisy nightclubs. Shut your eyes and you could be in Amsterdam or Barcelona. There is cosmopolitan excitement in the air, the drumbeat of a thriving, modern city. Singaporeans always knew how to shop: now they know how to party. There is a revolution taking place, quiet but remorseless, and it is thrilling to witness.

And what of that older, gentler Singapore; that world of pink gins at sundown, girls playing tennis in long skirts and bougainvillea running riot on the veranda? You can still catch glimpses of it; indeed Singapore, having once made a mantra of economic progress, is starting to lay greater emphasis on its heritage. The National Museum has just had a refit and contains vivid reminders of the cosy colonial world - balls, tea parties, cinemas showing silent movies - that was so brutally interrupted by the Second World War.

Some of the best restaurants in the city are housed in some of the oldest buildings. I had a memorable meal in Graze at Rochester Park - where the black-and-white bungalows used to belong to British officers - and an equally memorable one at Au Jardin, in the heart of the old Botanic Gardens.

At the weekend, Singaporeans used to flock to Sentosa Island, a grimly Disney-like resort that could have been in Florida. But there is a greener, more beguiling alternative now at Pulau Ubin, a largely undeveloped island off the north-east coast that has been turned into a conservation area.

You cross the straits on a bumboat, then walk or cycle through the rainforest, in an environment that could hardly be more different from the forest of skyscrapers across the water. Exotically coloured spoonbills swoop through the trees, wings flapping. Wild pigs bustle through the undergrowth. There is the odd tumbledown house, with rotting veranda and leaky roof.

It is like a community frozen in time, a reminder of pre-independence Singapore, before the good times rolled. Returning by taxi to the Shangri-La - for cocktails under the stars, followed by yet another sumptuous meal - takes less than half an hour. But, at another level, it feels like leapfrogging from the 19th century to the 21st in one exhilarating bound.
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #12
Vanman

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONDON STAR View Post
Shangri-La Hotel London
OPENS 2012

[IMG]http://i43.************/2rgbzu9.jpg[/IMG]
Wow, the Shangri-La London will be awesome. Is it under construction currently?

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Vancouver's Shangri-La just opened this past winter. It is currently the city's tallest building although 2/3 of it is condos.

Vanman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #13
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

What a kick ass building.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #14
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17836

Hong Kong

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #15
skyscraper100
>:

Shangrila at the fort, global city, manila
designed by SOM

[IMG]http://i30.************/29oio2s.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 24th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #16
l33t-boy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper100 View Post
post shangri-la hotels around the world here

l33t-boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #17
~ Olympic ~

Shangri-la Bangkok

from flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
~ Olympic ~ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #18
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
Wow, the Shangri-La London will be awesome. Is it under construction currently?
It is. It's going to be 310 meters tall. Look at the thread in the supertalls section. It's called 'The Shard'.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #19
Looking/Up

Likes (Received): 643

London for the win!
Looking/Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:59 AM   #20
599GTB

Likes (Received): 44

The London one is beautiful!
599GTB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags