daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #1
ChrisLA

Likes (Received): 17

San Pedro California - Home to the Port of Los Angeles

San Pedro is where the Los Angeles port is located. It is approx. 25 miles away from downtown Los Angeles. At one time it was its own town, and eventually became a part of the city of Los Angeles when the port was developed.

So yes its part of the city, but has its own idenity. It has it own small downtown as well. Downtown San Pedro is what I mostly covered since Kingofthehill joined me and he only had a short amount of time before he had to go. Perhaps another day both of us can go back and capture more of the residental side of it.

BTW San Pedro is in a way to LA like Staten Island is to New York City. It part of the city, but has a totally different feel to it. Also strange is Long Beach is just over the bridge 10 mins away, and yet it feels like its miles away in look and culture.

Enjoy!
image hosted on flickr

Brand new highrise condos. I do believe these are the tallest residental units in all of San Pedro.
image hosted on flickr

Okay here is where we got in trouble. This is a police station (LA Port Authority I think?). I guess they saw us on camera, and decided to swoop up on us and harrass us. The police claim they got calls on us, yeah right. We had just arrived and only walk one block. Anyway they made us give up our ID, and took phone numbers, and SSN's, and the name of this website where we would be sharing our photos He said this was due to Homeland Security, and people get nervous when pictures are taken of around the port.

We were told we could get harrassed some more while taking photos. Darn I was just about to take some of the bridge when the authorities arrived. Although he said we could, but do it descreetly, and of course face being harrassed again. Kingofthehill and I decided we better not even face the camara towards the waterfront at that point.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Well this is about as much of the port I was able to capture in the background. You can also see part of the Vincent Thomas bridge in the lower right corner between the trees. Again we didn't want any trouble so we kept our cameras away from the waterfront.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Lofts Conversion, and from the looks of it San Pedro was going through a mini boom the last few years. It was rather quiet one since I had no clue all of the things I seen yesterday was happening.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Some cool old building converted to Lofts, the floors above are new.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

If you look real close, the port of Los Angeles can be seen in the background. Of course I didn’t attempt to take any photos after we were harassed by the port authorities.
image hosted on flickr

What a shame they use the upper floors for storage, I see a lot of potential for some cool lofts here.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This bus actually provides local service to San Pedro from Downtown Long Beach. I guess because it crosses over the bridge its ran by the LADOP, but again once it gets into San Pedro it runs local.

image hosted on flickr

Kingofthehill and I joked about this having a camera and its watching us.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The End
image hosted on flickr
ChrisLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #2
lilip
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

very interesting
lilip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8797

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Okay here is where we got in trouble. This is a police station (LA Port Authority I think?). I guess they saw us on camera, and decided to swoop up on us and harrass us. The police claim they got calls on us, yeah right. We had just arrived and only walk one block. Anyway they made us give up our ID, and took phone numbers, and SSN's, and the name of this website where we would be sharing our photos He said this was due to Homeland Security, and people get nervous when pictures are taken of around the port.

We were told we could get harrassed some more while taking photos. Darn I was just about to take some of the bridge when the authorities arrived. Although he said we could, but do it descreetly, and of course face being harrassed again. Kingofthehill and I decided we better not even face the camara towards the waterfront at that point.
Wow, that's rather uptight and paranoid! I thought that Canary Wharf in London was bad with regards to taking photos!

Anyway, interesting shots, thanks for sharing.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #4
Jesús E. Salgado

Likes (Received): 278

Here are some pictures of the beach and port areas of San Pedro, I had no problems taken them.

The Vincent Thomas Bridge

Loading docks

Port O'Call helicopter ride

Tug boat

Lighthouse and water break

Port O'Call helicopter ride

Los Angeles Maritime Museum

Jesús E. Salgado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #5
Munichpictures1970

Likes (Received): 217

Great pictures, thx for sharing
Where exactly is this lighthouse?
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #6
Jesús E. Salgado

Likes (Received): 278

The lighthouse is at the entrance to the port, is on top a water break. When you come by boat to San Pedro is the first landmark you see.
Jesús E. Salgado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 03:09 AM   #7
MNiemann

Likes (Received): 79

very cute and quaint "city within a city"
Old March 1st, 2009, 10:09 AM   #8
ChrisLA

Thanks!
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:17 PM   #9
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244465

San Pedro looks really great
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #10
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1214

cool, i had no idea there was a downtown san pedro. what are the demographics of the area, type of person, crime, jobs etc. is it like palos verdes?
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #11
chuchero

Likes (Received): 4846

Beautifull little town
chuchero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #12
plcmat

Likes (Received): 0

Nice pics. San Pedro was also home to one of LA's finest punk bands, the Minutemen. "We were just corn dogs from 'Pedro, we'd go drink and pogo".

Oh and screw all of the cops that bothered you. And no cop has the right to your SS#. Cops like this are basically people that don't have the balls to be career criminals.
plcmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #13
ChrisLA

Here are a few more showing pictures in the residental areas of San Pedro. These are actually some photos I took a few years ago with my old camera.

Projects
image hosted on flickr

Actually these are some of the better looking ones in the city. Especially being as old as they are. But I noticed the older projects in the south bay part of LA city are well kept. You also don't hear anything bad about them like many others that are known for being gang and crime infested.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The next two photos are showing the addition and loft conversion to an old structure.

Before:
image hosted on flickr

After:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #14
ChrisLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
cool, i had no idea there was a downtown san pedro. what are the demographics of the area, type of person, crime, jobs etc. is it like palos verdes?
Personally I like San Pedro, but it can be a bit quiet and almost feels quaint compared to Long Beach. But none the less in 15-20 mins you can be in Long Beach, and of couse Palos Verdes is even closer.

Crime in the area as far as I know is low. But of course they will be higher crime in lower income areas. Although I haven't heard of anything negative about the area, nor have I felt unsafe in any part of this district.

San Pedro also has a variety of neighborhoods. Some are just working class (eastern side of town) to middle and upper middle the further west you go in to the hills. Also even though Palos Verdes is close and both on the pennisula. They are quite different with PV being more expensive and a bit more wealthy. Yet you can still get a great home in San Pedro that simlar to something in PV, but for a lot less money.

I'm including some information I found about the demographics, I hope this helps.

Demographic history
Ethnically diverse, San Pedro was a magnet for European immigrants from various countries for years, reflected in the number of restaurants representing diverse cuisines, especially Croatian, Portuguese, Mexican, Italian, and Greek. San Pedro is home to the largest Italian-American community in Southern California, centered on the "Via Italia" (South Cabrillo Avenue). Estimates state that the community numbers about 45,000 Italian-Americans. San Pedro is also considered the heart of the Croatian community in Los Angeles. This community, originally composed of seafarers and fishermen from the Dalmatia (especially the islands of Brač, Hvar, Vis and Korčula) region, has been present in San Pedro since the settlement began more than 200 years ago. The City of Los Angeles even named a stretch of 9th Street "Croatian Place" in honor of the city's old Croatian community. There are reportedly more than 35,000 Croats in San Pedro, making it the biggest Croatian community on the Pacific.[3].

A large portion of San Pedro is also composed of Mexican-Americans,Hispanic immigrants and African-Americans with long-time roots in the community. Much of their populations are based in the older, east side of the community surrounding the downtown area and bordering the Port of Los Angeles.

Ethnicity and race
(Population 72,146) The racial make up of San Pedro according to the 2000 U.S. Census data is 63.02% Caucasian (Croatian, Italian, Hispanic-Whites, Middle Eastern) 18.45% Black, 1.02% American Indian and Alaska Native alone, 4.78% Asian, 0.40% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone, 18.02% some other race, and 6.30% two or more races. Separate from those statistics, 12.14% of "Caucasians" identify themselves as Hispanic or Latino, and 20.41% as "Caucasian" alone, not Hispanic or Latino.