daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 12th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #141
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 16,713
Likes (Received): 9711

Don't worry, my point was (last year btw), that this championship (not rugby in general) is played in some of the largest stadiums of the world (e.g. 3 over 81K) which are always sold out, including thousands of away fans ! All this makes the tournament, one of the most followed competition in the world (wathever the sport). That's it !

And I didn't try to compare it with football, or world cup... You did !

PS: The last list seems to show the best edition of each international competition...
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #142
krudmonk
sucks
 
krudmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 2,265
Likes (Received): 96

Well alright, then. You're right that this is about stadia, and those are some impressive ones.
krudmonk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 04:38 AM   #143
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 16,713
Likes (Received): 9711

A 9th Grand Slam for the "XV de France" !!



The last game, few hours ago at the Stade de France :






parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 10:57 AM   #144
salgovernale
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 189
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post


The last game, few hours ago at the Stade de France :






Congrats France from England
salgovernale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 09:49 PM   #145
likasz
Registered User
 
likasz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,380
Likes (Received): 41

Congrats from Poland!
likasz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:35 AM   #146
Kazurro
Con la roja a muerte.
 
Kazurro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: León-Spain-EU
Posts: 3,059
Likes (Received): 1577

Congrats to France. You've deserved win. From an Ireland fan.

I want to talk a bit about Six Nations B. After an awful season, Spain has avoided relegation from Six Nations B. We've only got to win two games, both versus Germany, and we've suffered some humbling defeats. Lot of things must change in Spanish rugby.

Our national stadium is the "Estadio Central" owned by University Complutense, the main in Spain. Capacity 10,000 people



Last year born the Liga Superibérica, the first professional league of rugby. The final was played in "Estadio Teresa Rivero", property of Rayo Vallecano. Capacity 15,500 people, I think it'd be a great national stadium.

Kazurro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:22 AM   #147
gho
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Posts: 362
Likes (Received): 44

How is rugby in Spain going? Is the efforts of the governing body to increase its popularity working? Do ordinary spanish people know about the liga superiberica and are the crowds good?
gho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:23 PM   #148
likasz
Registered User
 
likasz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,380
Likes (Received): 41

Guys, do you know why rugby is not popular among black people?In Namibia and RSA national teams nearly all players are white.In football national teams of these countries almost all players are blackBlack people are much stronger than whites so they are born to play rugby...
likasz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 04:38 PM   #149
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

lol WTF, it's west african's not black people. The black people that populate Brazil, the carribean, USA, England and France are largely of west african decent, the bell curve for people of west african decent in terms of athleticism is far more skewed to athletic than it is for any other demographic.

If you look at all the good football teams in Africa they are the technical/tactical North Africans and the athletic West africans. Southern africans struggle because they aren't big, strong and powerful in as large numbers. I read that South African football in particular suffers because of its wealth which means it employs small technical players that people want to see but because the standard of football isn't great and they aren't used to it they just get bullied off the ball in international competitions.

Obviously this is on average and there will be super athletes from every country, see Brian Habana, but west african's have a greater disposition to be athletic.

More specifically on your point Black people don't play rugby in south africa because it is seen as the white man's game, in England it's because it's the posh boys game, oh and football is better and more fun but that's another debate
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:29 PM   #150
Kazurro
Con la roja a muerte.
 
Kazurro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: León-Spain-EU
Posts: 3,059
Likes (Received): 1577

Quote:
Originally Posted by gho View Post
How is rugby in Spain going? Is the efforts of the governing body to increase its popularity working? Do ordinary spanish people know about the liga superiberica and are the crowds good?
Nowadays there are 17.000 rugby players in Spain, more than Scotland, and half than Italy. I dont consider a bad amount however there're several reasons why we perfom much worse than countries with less players.

-Amateurism: Although there are players earning money, we're far from having a profesional league. The FER, our governing body, are usually fighting versus the clubs. Now we have two leagues, Superiberica, composed by six franchises, and the División de Honor, organized by the FER.

Clubs created Superiberica in order to become professionals. However I dont trust much on it, attendance keeps very low. We only had 5.000 people in the Final, which was played in Madrid with a team from Madrid.

-Age of begining: Here, usually schools dont have teams of any different sport to Football (soccer) and basketball, and sometimes handball and voleyball. As most children in Spain doing sport uses to do it in his school team there are few children playing rugby. The rugby in Spain has been historically related to Universities, most universities has or have had team. So most players begin to play in the University at 18. For example in my city (200.000 inhabitants with a 13,000 students university) we have 4 teams, one of them for women, but any team for children.

About popularity, most people here doesnt know anything about RU excluding there's a tournament called Six Nations. The NT uses to draw between 5,000 and 10,000 people in Estadio Central But foreign NT are more popular among rugby fans, specially Ireland.

I'm not very optimistic about development of Spanish rugby. I hope than now we have some players on Youth Academies of French teams, or playing in the Top 14, our level will rise up. And I hope that the amount of players signing for French teams will rise up, as French rugby influence in Spanish one is very important (in fact we use French terms, not the English ones)

Finally the Government is not supporting a lot rugby. By law Gvt has to invest more money on olympic sports, so Rugby seven is said to become more important than rugby union.
Kazurro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:13 PM   #151
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 16,713
Likes (Received): 9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazurro View Post
And I hope that the amount of players signing for French teams will rise up, as French rugby influence in Spanish one is very important (in fact we use French terms, not the English ones)
And you're right !!!! Viva España !!!

----------

Anyway: Good news !!

Please, please, come join us in the centennial fight of rugby: Latin Nations (in fact, only France during 107 years ) vs Brit. Nations !!!!!

As we used to say in France about the former Five-Nations: "We all know that we play 4 times against England in this tournament, but we play the game"

......

Last edited by parcdesprinces; March 22nd, 2010 at 11:23 PM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:49 AM   #152
gho
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Posts: 362
Likes (Received): 44

Thanks for the info Kazurro. I think the development of Rugby 7's will help the 15 man game, as the benefits will flow through. The spanish stars of the Rugby 7's team will move on to Rugby Union.
gho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 02:24 AM   #153
Kazurro
Con la roja a muerte.
 
Kazurro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: León-Spain-EU
Posts: 3,059
Likes (Received): 1577

Quote:
Originally Posted by gho View Post
Thanks for the info Kazurro. I think the development of Rugby 7's will help the 15 man game, as the benefits will flow through. The spanish stars of the Rugby 7's team will move on to Rugby Union.
In fact spanish stars on the 7s are rugby union players. In sevens there are several rugby union prominent players, like Cesar Sempere (who plays for Montpellier in Top 14), or Pablo Feijóo, the captain of Rugby Union NT, who have played for Leicester in Premiership.

@ parcdesprinces, if we get to solve this problems, specially what I explained about the age people begins to play, we can have a good rugby national team. In the 70s we managed to beat Italy, so we have the potential. However I've not seen any improvement during the last decade.

Does players in France begin to play while being children?

About Latins v. Brits... you must know here most rugby fans support Ireland. However France is popular I suppose because the huge influence of French rugby in ours. Also Argentina. And England is not very popular here.

Personally I support Ireland and the Boks in national teams. In Heineken Cup I support Munster and Toulouse, and generally the French ones because I like the way they play. Furthermore Bayonne and USAP are popular in Basque Country and Catalonia, in fact Bayonne uses to play at San Sebastián in Heineken Cup.

PS: Just curiosity, any non-francophone country excluding Spain uses French terminology in rugby or a mixture of French and the local language? I shared team with an Argentinian and was a bit hard to understand him, because they use English terms like scrum or prop, while we say melé or pilier.

Last edited by Kazurro; March 23rd, 2010 at 02:31 AM.
Kazurro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #154
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 16,713
Likes (Received): 9711

The Six : (updated list of 2011)

Dublin, Ireland
Aviva Stadium
(Lansdowne Road)
51,000 Seats ..I already miss Croke Park...








Edinburgh, Scotland
Murrayfield
67,800 Seats


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr



Cardiff, Wales
Millennium Stadium
74,500 Seats


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr



London, England
Twickenham Stadium
82,000 Seats




image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr



Paris, France
Stade de France
81,300 Seats


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr



Roma, Italia
Stadio Flaminio
32,000 seats


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr



Last edited by parcdesprinces; February 16th, 2012 at 06:18 AM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #155
Harry1990
Registered User
 
Harry1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 693
Likes (Received): 45

great stadiums. i have been to them all and they are superb. does anyone know if the stade de france has had some seats moved around as i thought the capicity was 80k but know its 81k

i love the stadio flaminio but a part of me wished they would play at the san siro for the bigger 6 nations games
Harry1990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #156
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 16,713
Likes (Received): 9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry1990 View Post
as i thought the capicity was 80k but know its 81k
Its official cap has always been 81,338 seats !!!!!

Its attendance record for a sporting event was :

80,832 (2009 Coupe de France Final), followed by: 80,430 (2007 IRB World Cup Final).
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #157
IrishMan2010
Liberal Minded
 
IrishMan2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 2,157
Likes (Received): 22

I wish Ireland could continue playing at Croke Park, Aviva is a nice stadium, but it does'nt even compare to Croke Park.
IrishMan2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #158
limerickguy
Registered User
 
limerickguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 805
Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishMan2010 View Post
I wish Ireland could continue playing at Croke Park, Aviva is a nice stadium, but it does'nt even compare to Croke Park.


Totally agree, how can you downgrade to a stadium that holds 32,500 people less that croker..in rugby you will always get a full house.
50,000 is the capacity, and the 3 or 4,000 people who bought up the 10 year ticket dont seem to be attending so expect capacities of 45 to 46,000 the whole time, if we couldnt get the 10 year ticket holders to fill it against argentina, manchester united and a euro 2012 qualifier then someting needs to be done about it..big mistake reducing it to this capacity in my openion
limerickguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #159
lwa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 238
Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by limerickguy View Post


Totally agree, how can you downgrade to a stadium that holds 32,500 people less that croker..in rugby you will always get a full house.
50,000 is the capacity, and the 3 or 4,000 people who bought up the 10 year ticket dont seem to be attending so expect capacities of 45 to 46,000 the whole time, if we couldnt get the 10 year ticket holders to fill it against argentina, manchester united and a euro 2012 qualifier then someting needs to be done about it..big mistake reducing it to this capacity in my openion
I was over for the Scotland game this season (a cracking game that was ), and a lot of the guys I spoke to were convinced the IRFU would be back at Croker the first opertunity they get.

It's a shame though, what we now have is a very ordinary ground that sits on the same site as the original Lansdowne Road, with the same capacity, but without the character of the old ground. I could understand the IRFU playing games with a 50,000 capacity, if it was a ground with the history of the old Lansdowne (It will always be a regret of mine that I didn't make it to Lansdowne when I had the chance - to think I was offered a ticket for the last stand match in 2006!) - but the new ground isn't Lansdowne, it is a brand new build and, in my opinion atleast, they would have been far better moving to a new site and building a ground worthy of being Irelands national stadium.

Unless ofcourse the IRFU and IFA are confident they can get planning permission to 'complete' the stadium in the future? (would that have to include buying land at the North end of the ground?)


As for the others - Italy cannot play at the San Siro because of the groundsharing deal. Since Inter and AC share the ground, there is nearly always a home game each week. The only reason they managed the New Zealand game last season was because it fell on an international weekend. (I don't think there is an international break on any weekend's during the 6 Nations, only midweek ones? but could be wrong there) The same can be applied to the Stadio Olimpico (except it's Roma and Lazio, rather than Inter and AC, obviously)

There are rumours the 2013 Heineken Cup Final might be at the San Siro though! (the other grounds mentioned are Brussels' Heysel Stadium, and the Camp Nou)

And on the subject of the game in Spain, USA Perpignan are apparently set to announce they are following the lead of Stade Francais, Biarritz Olympique and Aviron Bayonnaise in playing games outside of France (even if the SF one never actually happened ), and also in fulfilling what has long been reported as a dream of the club, by staging their league clash with Racing Metro at the Nou Camp!


(ps. pedantic point I know, but Murrayfield doesn't hold 67,800 any more - they removed several hundered seats a few years ago to fit permanent big screens, that you can actually see if you are sitting in the crap seats. ie. when you need to be able to see them )
lwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:47 PM   #160
limerickguy
Registered User
 
limerickguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 805
Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwa View Post
I was over for the Scotland game this season (a cracking game that was ), and a lot of the guys I spoke to were convinced the IRFU would be back at Croker the first opertunity they get.

It's a shame though, what we now have is a very ordinary ground that sits on the same site as the original Lansdowne Road, with the same capacity, but without the character of the old ground. I could understand the IRFU playing games with a 50,000 capacity, if it was a ground with the history of the old Lansdowne (It will always be a regret of mine that I didn't make it to Lansdowne when I had the chance - to think I was offered a ticket for the last stand match in 2006!) - but the new ground isn't Lansdowne, it is a brand new build and, in my opinion atleast, they would have been far better moving to a new site and building a ground worthy of being Irelands national stadium.

Unless ofcourse the IRFU and IFA are confident they can get planning permission to 'complete' the stadium in the future? (would that have to include buying land at the North end of the ground?)


As for the others - Italy cannot play at the San Siro because of the groundsharing deal. Since Inter and AC share the ground, there is nearly always a home game each week. The only reason they managed the New Zealand game last season was because it fell on an international weekend. (I don't think there is an international break on any weekend's during the 6 Nations, only midweek ones? but could be wrong there) The same can be applied to the Stadio Olimpico (except it's Roma and Lazio, rather than Inter and AC, obviously)

There are rumours the 2013 Heineken Cup Final might be at the San Siro though! (the other grounds mentioned are Brussels' Heysel Stadium, and the Camp Nou)

And on the subject of the game in Spain, USA Perpignan are apparently set to announce they are following the lead of Stade Francais, Biarritz Olympique and Aviron Bayonnaise in playing games outside of France (even if the SF one never actually happened ), and also in fulfilling what has long been reported as a dream of the club, by staging their league clash with Racing Metro at the Nou Camp!


(ps. pedantic point I know, but Murrayfield doesn't hold 67,800 any more - they removed several hundered seats a few years ago to fit permanent big screens, that you can actually see if you are sitting in the crap seats. ie. when you need to be able to see them )
ya i think the irfu have already put in a masterplan on the stadium to increase the capacity in a few years time to complete the stadium ( in my openion if this is actually true it just shows how badly the stadium was planned)
limerickguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
rugby

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu