• daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on one | forums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Archives

Old May 26th, 2009, 03:17 AM   #201
BartBart
In the sweetspot

Likes (Received): 533

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=143856

Stadium honours star WA athletes

26th May 2009, 6:00 WST

Superstar athlete Shirley Strickland’s indelible mark on WA athletics has been honoured with WA’s new athletics grandstand bearing her name.

VIDEO: WA Athletics Stadium

The Shirley Strickland Grandstand is the centrepiece of the $73.4 million WA Athletics Stadium and will be linked to Challenge Stadium and the new basketball arena by Herb Elliott Drive and a shared path called Wally Foreman Walk.

With a $1.2 million, 12-lane track covered in the same type of synthetic surface used at the Beijing Olympics, 2000 grandstand seats and room for 8000 spectators on grassed embankments, WA Athletics chief Wayne Loxley yesterday predicted it was just a matter of time before the new stadium became home to a new world record.

Unlike Perry Lakes stadium, which had been constructed so the Queen would not have to look into the sun during the 1962 British Empire and Commonwealth Games opening ceremony, the new stadium had been designed to ensure all sports will be able to take advantage from a tail wind.

Mr Loxley said the stadium would host the National Track and Field Championships in April, which was also the sole Commonwealth Games team selection qualifying event, for the first time since 1988. “The national championships will bring all of Australia’s best to WA and I have no doubt we will see records broken,” Mr Loxley said. “With the wind and the lights, our competition will be world class and I think we will have the opportunity to attract major championships on a regular basis.”

Sport and Recreation Minister Terry Waldron said the WA Athletics Stadium would be WA’s competition venue for elite athletes at major meets but would also be a home for the wider athletic community in the State.

As workmen put the finishing touches to the stadium in time for its official opening today, Department of Sport and Recreation stadium project manager Rob Thomson said the stadium was expected to host up to 35 significant events a year. It would be the home training ground of some of Australia’s best track and field athletes, including Olympic gold medallist Steve Hooker.

Mr Thomson said the stadium incorporated energy efficient lighting to allow twilight and evening training events, used solar hot water panels, flow controllers and timers on taps.

International ground test engineer Anthony Apparailly spent hours yesterday testing the track’s shock absorption, evenness, flatness and friction to ensure it met strict international standards.

TIFFANY FOX

Sponsored Links

Old May 26th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #202
BartBart
In the sweetspot

Just a thought - ok the stand, the road and the footpath (walk) were given deserving names, but the actual athletics field/track is still known as AK Reserve. I can't see it remaining as that, so is there an announcement still to come on the naming. Or is the whole basketball, rugby, athletics precinct going to have all the same name? Or is it going to be a sponsors name? That must be the answer. (Sorry - thinking on the run/type)

edit: (see below) it looks like it is called WA Athletics Stadium. wtf?!
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #203
BartBart
In the sweetspot

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005401,00.html
WA sporting identities honoured at WA Athletics Stadium opening

May 25, 2009 10:00pm
THREE of Western Australia's most influential sporting identities were honoured today as the state's new $73m WA Athletic Stadium was officially opened.

Olympic pole vault champion Steve Hooker was among the crowd of athletes and officials at the opening, as was Premier Colin Barnett, minister for sport and recreation Terry Waldron and Department of Sport and Recreation director general Ron Alexander.

The stadium's intended users also helped welcome the WA Athletics Stadium.

Track talent Jody Henry, who was recently named to make her world championships debut at Berlin in August, took out a women's 100m sprint which was started by the Premier, before fellow Berlin-bound athlete, javelin thrower Kim Mickle, planted the first throws into the arena's field.

Indigenous group Common Ground performed a corroboree and Aboriginal elders carried out a smoking ceremony and presented a message stick, a traditional form of indigenous communication, to Premier Barnett.

Three of the state's influential sporting figures were also honoured with the unveiling of the Shirley Strickland Grandstand, Herb Elliot Drive and Wally Foreman Walk.

WA Athletics Stadium replaces the dilapidated Perry Lakes, which was originally built to host the 1962 British Empire and Commonwealth Games, and adds to the bustling Claremont sporting precinct.

Hooker, who is preparing to head overseas to begin his pre-worlds campaign, says he hopes the state-of-the-art facility will reignite a passion for athletics in the state.

"I think athletics in WA has been a bit stagnant over the past few years and Perry Lakes has probably had something to do with that," Hooker said.

"I think (the new stadium) is a perfect venue for athletics in Australia. I've been in big venues around the world and they would not have been appropriate here.

"What you want is something that's going to get full and have a bit of atmosphere in it. And this definitely will, I think the embankments around the edge are a great place for families to come and watch little athletics or elite competitions."

Mickle echoed the Beijing gold medallist's hopes and said the AK Reserve stadium finally gave athletics a suitable home.

"We have a lot of great little athletics clubs and have a lot of talent, but they usually come to Perry Lakes and think 'oh, so this is what it's like', and fall through the wayside," Mickle said.

"So if they come here and see we've got a world-class stadium and have the national champs coming, they'll want to come and stay in the sport."

The WA Athletics Stadium will host Athletics WA's end-of-season meet on Thursday evening. Members of the public are welcome.
----------------------------------------
Stadium facilities
Stadium seating of 2000. Total capacity (including grassed embankment area) is 10,000.

12-lane running track on straight with nine lanes on bend.

Five jumps pits.

Four pole vault runways.

Four shot put circles.

Two hammer and discus cages.

Two high jump and javelin sites.

----------------------------------------

LEGEND HONOURED: Triple Olympian track legend Shirley Strickland de la Hunty has been honoured with a grandstand in her name at the new WA Athletics Stadium. Picture: Richard Polden

WARM WELCOME: Indigenous group Common Ground performed a corroboree to help celebrate the opening of the WA Athletics Stadium. Picture: Richard Polden

IT'S OFFICIAL: Track talent Jody Henry breaks the tape in a women's 100m sprint to help celebrate the opening of the WA Athletics Stadium. Picture: Richard Polden

IT'S OFFICIAL: Javelin thrower Kim Mickle welcomed the opening of the WA Athletics Stadium on behalf of the state's field athletes. Picture: Richard Polard
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #204
BartBart
In the sweetspot

Went for a walked lap of the track and through the stand. Looks pretty good. Obviously, they have worked hard at retaining the native vegetation. By the time it is used seriously after the winter the grass will have settled down.

Today's paper (The West) p46

It looks like this is their page:
http://www.wasct.wa.gov.au/index.php?id=1222

From that site:

WA Athletics Stadium

One of Western Australia's newest sporting facilities, the WA Athletics Stadium, will be opened on Tuesday 26 May with the first events expected to take place from 1 July 2009.

Situated next to Challenge Stadium on Stephenson Ave, Mt Claremont and owned by VenuesWest, the stadium features the following:

Designed by Cox Architects to international standards
Design takes advantage of weather (wind) direction for athletes
Capable of running sprint events on front or back straight
Nine lane 400 metre Mondo athletics track
Two 12 lane 110 metre sprint straights (front and back)

19 sports rooms including:

Drug testing facilities
Officials rooms
VIP area
Photo finish room
Administration offices
Pre and post event areas
Presentation stores
Three function rooms
Athletics WA offices

Additional features:

Grandstand for 1971 spectators
Grass bank seating for 8000 spectators
Two kiosks and food services areas
Museum room
Full timing equipment
Floodlighting for night events
Full CCTV coverage
Lift
12 change rooms and bathrooms

Events that will be held at the stadium include:

All track and field including hammer, discuss, pole vault and steeplechase
Soccer
Rugby
Concerts
Market fairs
Trade shows

Parking
There is specific athletics parking however the intention is that all minor car parks will be used as satellite support for the surrounding sporting venues, particularly during large events.

Contact
Please direct your enquiries to Gary Conyard, Operations Manager
Telephone: 9441 8230
Email: gary.conyard@challengestadium.wa.gov.au

Last edited by BartBart; May 30th, 2009 at 11:53 AM.
BartBart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:28 AM   #205
GOR@N
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

So its a 14,500 arena now! lol
GOR@N no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:17 AM   #206
BartBart
In the sweetspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOR@N View Post
So its a 14,500 arena now! lol
I assume you are referring to the article on the Perth Arena thread. And (as we discussed previously on that thread - the seating capacity will vary depending on the event being held. In the case they mentioned (boxing) you will probably get the extra 500 people seated on the floor area (where basketball, tennis, etc. will be played) around the ring which won't take up the same area that the bigger court sports will.

On another issue - I reckon if they start the 4km walk/run for the City To Surf inside the stadium (rather on the road nearby), it would be good for people to feel like they "own" the stadium.

Last edited by BartBart; May 31st, 2009 at 04:23 AM.
BartBart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #207
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

Likes (Received): 753

i wish everyone would stop refering to it as the $1.1b stadium, it is only $850m with $300m for infrastructure. but i wshi barnett would just build it already. come on Rudd give us some money...

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/pe...0616-cgbg.html

Quote:
Perth Oval sidesteps English Premier League lawsuit
Chris Thomson
June 17, 2009 - 6:52AM

EXCLUSIVE: Inadequate facilities at Perth's Members Equity Stadium have sparked fears that two visiting English Premier League teams may sue the venue for injuries to elite players.

In a coup for the World Game in Australian Football-mad Western Australia, the local Perth Glory side will lock horns with the Premier League's Wolverhampton Wanderers at Members Equity on July 10.

On July 15, the Glory will back up to tackle Fulham at Members Equity - formerly known as Perth Oval.

However, the planned friendlies hit a snag after stadium owner the Town of Vincent, and stadium operator Allia Venue Management, inspected facilities and found them severely lacking.

WAtoday.com.au can now reveal the inspection found the two player runways leading from the main change rooms to the pitch were unsafe, due to their steep grade and slippery surface.

The town considered this a serious enough safety risk to order immediate remediation, at a cost of $4530. Council officers believed a fall by an elite player could expose the town to a legal suit.

Other immediate upgrades in an approved $30,000 renovation rescue, before players from the world's best soccer competition arrive in July, include:
  • to front entrance paving also assessed to be an insurance claim risk in the event of a patron falling;
  • installing a $3806 permanent siren, the absence of which had caused RugbyWA to previously use a handheld horn that did not comply with Australian Rugby Union requirements;
  • repairing dilapidated weather shelters in the player dugouts; and
  • replacing rusty shower heads in the stadium's change rooms.

Among the visiting Premier League players to be spared a rusty change room shower nozzle are Fulham goalkeeper, and recently-crowned Australian player of the year, Mark Schwarzer.

In February, WA's Barnett Government deferred a much-anticipated decision on a new $1.1 billion multi-purpose stadium at Subiaco that would have brought patrons of rectangular-field sports closer to the on-field action.

In response, RugbyWA said it would start playing Super 14 matches at the rectangular, but currently substandard, Members Equity from the 2010 season.

A video of my month long travel in the GMT Zones +8 and +9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESV_t0Z12EE
docker está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #208
BartBart
In the sweetspot

Went for a drive before it got dark to check out how the development at AK Reserve was going. They have installed the first five (at eastern end) of the wire features (whatever they are called) at the front of the basketball stadium.

Old July 7th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #209
BartBart
In the sweetspot

AK Reserve Rugby facility

Open for public comment 6 July 2009 to 2 September 2009

http://www.akreserve.com.au/index.php?id=9

http://www.akreserve.com.au/assets/f...an%20Rugby.pdf
Old July 7th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #210
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

A video of my month long travel in the GMT Zones +8 and +9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESV_t0Z12EE
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #211
BartBart
In the sweetspot

Sorry docker - obviously you put up the image the same time I edited my original post to include it.
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #212
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

Old July 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #213
aaronaugi1

Likes (Received): 0

Looks pretty good. Does anyone else know the status of further upgrades to sporting infrastructure in addition to the new AK Reserve facilities. I remember seeing a masterplan for extensions to UWA Sports Park, additional tennis and hockey facilities and school playing fields south of Challenge.
aaronaugi1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #214
andrewM
AndrewM

Likes (Received): 43

the rugby building looks like a hookers nose
Old July 13th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #215
mossimoh

Likes (Received): 275

I drove past the mini stadiums in floreat and they look ok. The new basketball arena looks a bit like the style they used at ECU Joondalup campus.
mossimoh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #216
aaronaugi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossimoh View Post
I drove past the mini stadiums in floreat and they look ok. The new basketball arena looks a bit like the style they used at ECU Joondalup campus.
The new venues look fantastic. I am really excited about the new basketball stadium.

I wish they had seperated them slightly more from Underwood Ave and each other. I know there is a number of different uses in that area and recreational/sport uses aren't the only functions. Though i wish they were better spaced to allow for residential/commerical/retail development into and around the venues in the longer term. Hopefully the area is better connected with public transport in the future to.

I like the grass embankments of the stadium too. Gives great potential for expansion of the venue should Perth host any form of major IAAF event in the future.
aaronaugi1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #217
BartBart
In the sweetspot

Interesting - Sage is trying to get more $ than what the Western Force were promised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The West online
Sage demands stadium action after rain threatens to wreck Glory’s big night

16th July 2009, 10:30 WST

Furious Perth Glory owner Tony Sage has again demanded an upgrade to the “substandard” facilities at Members Equity Stadium after a huge downpour and howling winds threatened to wreck last night’s soccer spectacle.

Sage forked out $2 million to bring English Premier League clubs Fulham and Wolverhampton Wanderers to Perth, along with new A-League club North Queensland Fury and their marquee striker Robbie Fowler.

He was rewarded for his investment when nearly 15,000 fans braved the weather at last night’s double-header.

They were rewarded by seeing Fowler score a penalty in his first game Down Under in Fury’s 2-1 loss to Wolves, and then watched Socceroos goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer in action for Fulham as the Premier League side turned on the style in a 5-0 win over Glory.

But the heavens opened during the second half of the Glory-Fulham game and sent fans on the eastern side of the ground and in the Family Stand at the southern end ducking for cover, before most abandoned the match and went home.

“The only thing that put a dampener on it was that rain and it just proves to me and everyone that the ground needs to be upgraded,” Sage said.

“If you had covers on those stands they wouldn’t have been empty by the end of the game, they would’ve been full as they were at the beginning of the game. It really does prove that Perth does lack very good facilities and that’s the thing I was most disappointed with, for the fans sitting out there to pay $50 a ticket to get wet for more than half of a game.”

Sage hopes the move by Super 14 rugby side Western Force to the East Perth ground will entice the State Government to approve an upgrade of the eastern stand before a new stadium is built in the advent of Australia successfully bidding to host either the 2018 or 2022 football World Cup.

“The Premier (Colin Barnett) came to the game on Friday night and he’s very aware of the situation,” sage said.

“He knows Frank Lowy’s probably going to be successful in getting a World Cup bid up but he also knows that it’s seven or eight years away before a new 45,000-seat rectangular stadium will need to be built.

“If we can get $45-55million to upgrade that eastern stand that’ll fit 4000-5000 people under cover, that will be a fantastic start and I think it will happen before the beginning of next season for Glory.

“The good thing about it is the Western Force are with us now for the next three years and (the Government) has certain obligations to the Force as well, so we’ll be swept up into that.”

Despite the facilities, Sage confirmed that he will continue in his pursuit of bigger names for future friendly fixtures Down Under.

A Glory delegation will have its first official meeting with officials from English giants Liverpool in Singapore next week and contact has been made between the A-League club and Italian powerhouse AC Milan.

But next year’s World Cup in South Africa could pose a problem for Sage, who said he would not rule out postponing further pre-season fixtures with first-class opposition until 2011 to avoid a clash.

“I don’t want to bring a Liverpool or AC Milan out here if they’ve got none of their stars, it’s just bringing a brand out,” Sage said.

“You really want to bring out the players that are going to be playing regularly in the league, like Fulham last night.”

While Glory were outclassed by a near full-strength Fulham team that turned the screws in the second half last night, coach Dave Mitchell was happy with the hit-out ahead of the A-League season, which begins away to Adelaide United on August 7.

Mitchell expects to have star recruits Chris Coyne and Branko Jelic in the squad for Saturday’s warm-up clash with North Queensland in Mandurah.

Socceroos midfielder Jacob Burns could return after sitting out last night with a minor hamstring complaint, while right-sided defender Jimmy Downey is still struggling with a knee injury.

PERTH
SHAYNE HOPE
Old July 18th, 2009, 04:20 AM   #218
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 566

More potential crap from the WAFC in the West today.

"WAFC eyes $300 millon public purse to kick off Subi plan"

Mark Duffield

The WA Football Commission will ask the State and Federal governments to fund the $300 million first stage of a rebuilding program at Subiaco Oval, taking its capacity to more than 50,000.

WAFC chairman Neale Fong confirmed the proposal would be put to the State Government within a month. It is understood AFL officals are lobbying the Federal Government on the WAFC's behalf to get further funding.

The first stage would invovle the demolition and rebuilding of the old three and two-tier stands on the ground's north-western corner and work along the southern side, which is constricted by Roberts Road.

"We are just completing the concept plan now," Dr Fong said. "As soon as we have done that we will be speaking to governments at every level."
"Our plan has always been to rebuild it, it may take 10 to 15 years to get it to the final stage. It (the cost of the first stage) has to be a number the State and/or Federal government can swallow and at least get it started."

Although the State Government is analysing a range of options for a limited upgrade of the rectangular Members Equity Stadium, Colin Barnett has put all major stadium plans on hold for two years because of the financial crisis.

But Dr Fong said the Premier had agreed to discuss any plan presented.
"We have been upfront with the Premier and public and Colin has said he would be willing to have a look at it," he said.
Dr Fong said new grand stands would make Subiaco Oval suitable for major Soccer internationals and surface work would ensure better viewing.

The West Australian understands tha AFL would like the oval shortened permanently for better spectator viewing but local clubs are loath to surrender the advantage the longer surface offers.

Dr Fong said future stages could be undertaken in plenty of time for the 2022 soccer World Cup.

Previous WAFC concept plans for Subiaco Oval have not been well received, but Dr Fong was adamant critics would be "pleasantly surprised" by the new designs, which he compared with Melbourne's Etihad Stadium.
Walbanger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #219
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 566

Firstly I hope this is not just a rehash of the previous Peter Hunt design. Boring and way too much like the MCG.
Quote:
Previous WAFC concept plans for Subiaco Oval have not been well received, but Dr Fong was adamant critics would be "pleasantly surprised" by the new designs, which he compared with Melbourne's Etihad Stadium.
I'm very happy for a "pleasant surprise" but when he goes on to compare it to Etihad Stadium I get pesimistic.
What is with the self simulating love for all things from Melbourne. We can be our own city. Do we need to mimic the MCG in one concept then draw parallels with Etihad which was designed over a decade ago with the next design?
The bar has been raised since then. Get over Melbourne and and go for something different and unique.

Quote:
WAFC chairman Neale Fong confirmed the proposal would be put to the State Government within a month. It is understood AFL officals are lobbying the Federal Government on the WAFC's behalf to get further funding.
Well I like the lobbying for Federal funds, we get dick all for sport, seems to go to Qld.

Quote:
"Our plan has always been to rebuild it, it may take 10 to 15 years to get it to the final stage. It (the cost of the first stage) has to be a number the State and/or Federal government can swallow and at least get it started."
A bit of Dr Fong playing Barnett's card of stage rebuild even though the venue is needed now. Minimum 3 year build, not a grose 15 years. As for getting started, I would prefer ground work for the former taskforce's Multipurpose Stadium to be done at the East Perth Power Stadium (my prefered location, and wouldn't interfere with the current venue Subi) and in 2/4 years when ready to build, we can dive straight into it.

Quote:
Dr Fong said new grand stands would make Subiaco Oval suitable for major Soccer internationals and surface work would ensure better viewing... Dr Fong said future stages could be undertaken in plenty of time for the 2022 soccer World Cup.
Oval's just don't work for Rectangle codes, the multipurpose design was a suitable compromise with seating even slightly closer than Stade de France.
As for the "Surface Work" I assume Dr Fong mean's removing the domed drainage field and levelling the surface flat like the MCG and SCG have done in recent years. Good idea which should be done regardless.

As for Soccer World Cup, we are not going to win if we insist on using non-reconfigurable Australian Football / Cricket venue's. Germany 2006 used 3 athletic tracks, South Africa will use 2. By 2018, 2022 we will be up against countries like England, Spain and the USA who can offer Rectagular stadiums for the whole bid, the bar has been raised and we must comply to compete.

Quote:
The West Australian understands tha AFL would like the oval shortened permanently for better spectator viewing but local clubs are loath to surrender the advantage the longer surface offers.
I bet the AFL would. Fact is Australian Football dimensions are fluid like Baseball whic is a special feature of our game. At 175m long and 122m the Subi playing area is actually less than the MCG's 162m / 140m. Will the AFL also prefer tha Geelong's Skilled Stadium be shortened, it's a long, narrow ground aswell. I personally prefer the the longer, narrower grounds or WA to the short and stout cricket grounds or Victoria. It leads to direct long running and kicking football instead of being lost in nomans land on a fat wing, kicking to a bottleneck at Centre Half Forward. Zoning and ugly football is harder to implement at Subi. I imagine the traditional WA field is why WA breads awesome running midfielder but not to often pack marking forwards where the tight ground of Victoria promote the development of this in the slower, wetter surfaces and bottle necked forward confines.

All in all, we have heard it all before. The fact remains that the Subiaco site is too constricted for a decend 21st century venue. Rebuilding would reduce Subi's capacity to an unsatisfactory level, the MCG was able to stage rebuild because of Melbourne having an alternative venue in Waveley (Great Southern Stand rebuild) and the then Etihad plus its mammoth size ment capacity never dropped below 70 000 during the Northern Stand construction. WAFC Subi plans can not adequately satisfy Rugby and Soccer.

Last edited by Walbanger; July 18th, 2009 at 05:02 AM.
Walbanger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 05:20 AM   #220
PerthSM

I don't really care, as long as we get the football World Cup (the noises are saying we're in with a very good chance of winning one of the bids). Even if they just redo Subi, that'd be enough to keep FIFA happy (and if it's a 60k+ stadium, we'd be in with a decent shot of getting atleast a quarter final or even a semi). It'd be a travesty if Aus missed outt due to Barney being a tool.
PerthSM no está en línea   Reply With Quote