daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:48 PM   #661
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
In a way, this also applies (in a way) to the Moscow Metro. In the 21st century, there have been more than three incidents of terrorism.

Don't they employ enough security measures over at the Moscow Metro??? Is something being done to improve safety and security over there? (and by that I mean concrete and visible actions and solutions)
There is no one effective method of preventing terrorist acts. It's simply impossible to check all passengers in the busy Metro (Moscow Metro is the second busiest subway in the world). Even if the police will find the terrorist in the vestibule, he has a lot of time to blow himself up. For example, in 2004 police discovered a suicide terrorist woman near entrance to the "Rizhskaya" station. As result, she blew herself not in the station, but on the street. It led to the death of 10 people, including two terrorists. Of course, if she blew herself in the Metro, damage would be much bigger. Nevertheless, it led to the tragedy.
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:25 PM   #662
foo_fighter

Likes (Received): 99

One of Sheremetyevo's "icons"

The so-called glass or wine-glass (Russian: Рюмка - Ryumka) is one of the eye attractions at Sheremetyevo International airport.

Opened in 1961 Terminal "Sheremetyevo-1", terminal struck arriving and departing passangers with it's design: one of the parts of the terminal - the sattelite was like glass, and for many years was the business card Sheremetyevo.

By the 1980 Olympics that were held Moscow the old terminal was supplemented by the new international terminal "Sheremetyevo-2". Then main international flights were transferred to the new "Sheremetyevo-2".

According to the published expansion plans there will be no place for the old terminal.

image hosted on flickr

Sheremetyevo's "icon" by foo_fighter_spotting, on Flickr

A11 LJUBLJANA liked this post
foo_fighter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:23 PM   #663
Cardamomun
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Nice

Cardamomun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #664
Cani
Browarnik Tomek

Likes (Received): 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_fighter View Post
According to the published expansion plans there will be no place for the old terminal.

image hosted on flickr

Sheremetyevo's "icon" by foo_fighter_spotting, on Flickr
This old terminal buiding is so beautiful. I really like the design of that one and I'll be missing that one. Thanx god we have pictures like the one you posted. Thanx for sharing.
Old January 4th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #665
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
There is no one effective method of preventing terrorist acts. It's simply impossible to check all passengers in the busy Metro (Moscow Metro is the second busiest subway in the world). Even if the police will find the terrorist in the vestibule, he has a lot of time to blow himself up. For example, in 2004 police discovered a suicide terrorist woman near entrance to the "Rizhskaya" station. As result, she blew herself not in the station, but on the street. It led to the death of 10 people, including two terrorists. Of course, if she blew herself in the Metro, damage would be much bigger. Nevertheless, it led to the tragedy.
Hmm.....I see.

Btw, I'm not dissing on Russia (as a whole) in any way. In fact, I acknowledge the economic improvements happening in your country (you guys are the "R" in BRIC after all). The economy in the capital (MOSCOW) is improving and even other metropolitan areas (like St. Petersburg, Yekateriburg, etc.) are starting to reap some gains plus the crude oil and gas reserves are economic boosters too. That and Moscow International Business Center is impressive.

It's just that I want to be sure that my safety will be ensured if and whenever I travel to your country.........and I'm sure every concerned prospective tourist planning to visit Russia would want to be assured of that as well.
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #666
Iggis
Frequent flyer

Likes (Received): 2393

Turkish Airlines Moves Moscow Operation to Vnukovo in S12

From 25MAR12, Turkish Airlines is moving its Moscow operation from Sheremetyevo Airport to Vnukovo Airport. TK becomes the 2nd Star Alliance member after Lufthansa to move operation to Vnukovo, although Lufthansa is only transferring selected service to VKO.

In Summer 2012 season, the airline offers 4 Daily Istanbul – Moscow Vnukovo and 1 Daily Antalya – Moscow Vnukovo.

Schedule:

Antalya – Moscow Vnukovo
TK211 AYT2130 – 0150+1VKO 321 D
TK212 VKO0500 – 0710AYT 321 D

Istanbul – Moscow Vnukovo
TK413 IST0835 – 1225VKO 321 D
TK417 IST1045 – 1435VKO 321 D
TK415 IST1405 – 1755VKO 321 D
TK419 IST2235 – 0225+1VKO 321 D

TK420 VKO0610 – 0755IST 321 D
TK414 VKO1325 – 1510IST 321 D
TK418 VKO1540 – 1725IST 321 D
TK416 VKO1855 – 2040IST 321 D

http://airlineroute.net/2012/01/02/tk-vko-s12/
Iggis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #667
Iggis
Frequent flyer

Alitalia Increasing Rome – Moscow Service in S12

Alitalia from 25MAR12 is increasing Rome – Moscow Sheremetyevo service from 14 to 16 weekly, with new flights operating on weekends.

Schedule:

AZ548 FCO1040 – 1635SVO 321 D
AZ546 FCO1105 – 1655SVO 32S 67
AZ596 FCO2140 – 0330+1SVO 321 D

AZ595 SVO0550 – 0750FCO 321 D
AZ549 SVO1740 – 1940FCO 321 D
AZ547 SVO1755 – 1950FCO 32S 67
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #668
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Are the airports competitors for new airlines? Are they all owned and ran by Moscow or Russian government?
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 12:35 AM   #669
Dase

Likes (Received): 61

DME is private, SVO owned by the Russian Government and VKO used to be owned by the Moscow government but is aparrantly turned over to the Russian Government.
Dase no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #670
YaWW

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Are the airports competitors for new airlines? Are they all owned and ran by Moscow or Russian government?
Yes, they do compete with each other. it's exactly this competition that made them all so good and beautifully designed.
YaWW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #671
C-Falke

Likes (Received): 49

Lufthansa switches additional flights from Domodedovo to Vnukovo.
Regarding to the site of Vnukovo Airport, Lufthansa transfers the Hamburg and Düsseldorf service from Domodedovo to Vnukovo.

From my point of view it's only a question of time when LH will leave DME completly.
C-Falke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #672
arkoro

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Falke View Post
Regarding to the site of Vnukovo Airport, Lufthansa transfers the Hamburg and Düsseldorf service from Domodedovo to Vnukovo.

From my point of view it's only a question of time when LH will leave DME completly.
any reasons why they switsched to VKO?

arkoro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #673
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7094

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkoro View Post
DME is too over-busiest by comparison with VKO.
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #674
KVentz

Likes (Received): 1662

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Falke View Post
Now Turkish Airlines (another Star alliance member as Lufthansa) switches all its Moscow flights from DME to VKO. First flights to Istanbul, Antalya and Ankara from VKO will start on March, 25.
KVentz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #675
KVentz

Likes (Received): 1662

Quote:
DME is deadly overcrowded at all. You can spend hours in queries there. They always use one baggage track for several flights at once, so you just can't step close to it: there is a big crowd around. And there is a total transportation chaos on the square in front of the terminal. It looks like the scenes from Gone With The Wind when people leaved town. In addition, DME is the only airport in Moscow that has railway station in the open air (cold in winter!). And it's the most distant airport from Moscow center.

Sometime ago DME was the most modern and the largest airport with the most effective management and highest service in Moscow. But its reconstruction and extension is going to be endless. Now it's single terminal just can't service all passengers. And it's not the most modern anymore: there are terminal 'A' in VKO and several new terminals in SVO.
KVentz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #676
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14460

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkoro View Post
Quote:
Another reason is that UTair in talks joining Star Alliance. Respectively, VKO is UTair's hub.

Discover Ukraine - The vibrant country: https://youtu.be/Pu8tL3ptXRM and Kyiv - The city of many faces: on SSC
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #677
skyduster

Likes (Received): 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Hmm.....I see.

Btw, I'm not dissing on Russia (as a whole) in any way. In fact, I acknowledge the economic improvements happening in your country (you guys are the "R" in BRIC after all). The economy in the capital (MOSCOW) is improving and even other metropolitan areas (like St. Petersburg, Yekateriburg, etc.) are starting to reap some gains plus the crude oil and gas reserves are economic boosters too. That and Moscow International Business Center is impressive.

It's just that I want to be sure that my safety will be ensured if and whenever I travel to your country.........and I'm sure every concerned prospective tourist planning to visit Russia would want to be assured of that as well.
Blackraven,

What's your problem? Why are you hellbent on pointing out to Russians about their country's supposed "inadequate" airport security? How so? Airport attacks have also occurred at Glasgow International and Madrid Barajas. In the United States on 9/11/2001 four airplanes were hijacked on the same day (after that, they implemented security measures that had already been in place in Europe). How the hell do you secure an entire Metro system? Especially in a very large city whose Metro system is used by over 6 million people a day? And are you aware that Russia already is one of the world's leading tourism destinations (and that the chances of something happening to you are one-in-a-billion)??

Has it occurred to you Russia is targeted by terrorists more often than most other countries? (yes, even more so than the US). Do you really think that you, an armchair SSC poster, know better about security operations than Russian terror experts do? You've already made your point...you're concerned about your safety "if you happen to visit Moscow". Then don't visit Moscow. Point made! And don't visit New York either (same buildings -the WTC- were targeted twice by terrorists), and don't visit Madrid, and don't visit London (a city repeatedly targeted by terrorists), and don't visit Tokyo, and don't visit Paris, and don't visit Buenos Aires, and don't visit Mumbai.

Stay in the Philippines!

You made your point, blackraven, and point taken! Why do you continue to post about this? Stay home!

HELP PROMOTE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENING FOR MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE REGIONS

boycott dolphinariums
BAN DOLPHINARIUMS IN EUROPE AND WORLDWIDE
Help us make the EU a dolphinarium-free zone

Last edited by skyduster; January 16th, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
skyduster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #678
Iggis
Frequent flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVentz View Post
Now Turkish Airlines (another Star alliance member as Lufthansa) switches all its Moscow flights from DME to VKO. First flights to Istanbul, Antalya and Ankara from VKO will start on March, 25.
I already posted this news, and they remove not only DME flights, but SVO flights as main.
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #679
Iggis
Frequent flyer

skyduster, my respect!
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #680
Dase

Likes (Received): 61

Hopefully, the flocking-in of international carriers (not too long ago, Germanwinsg was the only one) at VKO will finally lead to a 30 mins frequency on the Aeroexpress to Kievskiy Vokzal.
Dase no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
european hub airport, moscow