daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:13 PM   #21
amst

Likes (Received): 967

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
I suppose I saw that once or twice

edit: Hey, only roughly one eigth of that Dacia is breaking the law
Actually all of it, because there is an intersection ahead, and therefore you cannot park 5m before the intersection!
amst no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:16 PM   #22
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Cona in Portuguese means cu*t!
Anyway in Portugal the system is like in the UK, one Portuguese single line= double uk line and broken Portuguese yellow line=single UK line
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #23
zivan56

Likes (Received): 2

In Vancouver (and I presume the rest of Canada), there is a sign at least on each street corner with an arrow and instructions on if you can or cannot park/stop. Usually, it is either a no stopping or no parking sign and hours listed below (or none if it is in effect 24/7). If parking/stopping is allowed, then the time limit is also usually listed along with the hours. If the sign is not there, then you can park for as long as you want. The only implied no parking is near a fire hydrant.
zivan56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #24
amst

Back with some photos from Bucharest!

Angle /w payment

Parallel /w payment

Parallel /w payment - but no car drawn

Handicapped spot (2)

Underground parking

Perpendicular free
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #25
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

Plata means toll in Romania? The word is similar to what I've seen in Croatia and Poland (Naplatna, Platy or something). Those languages are rather similar in central/southeastern Europe.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #26
amst

Yes, plata meas payment.

Now, for some general photos with parking spaces:

Now, in general, each parking has its own rules of use:

Things could get complicated sometimes

And some restrictions:

Old March 7th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #27
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Plata means toll in Romania? The word is similar to what I've seen in Croatia and Poland (Naplatna, Platy or something). Those languages are rather similar in central/southeastern Europe.
Coincidence. Romanian is a Romance/Latin language, while Croatian and Polish are Slavic. Not to mention some other completely different languages, i.e. Hungarian, Greek, Turkish, Albanian.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #28
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Polish word płacić, from which words płatny/bezpłatny come from, derives from the fact that in the past people used to pay with lniane płaty(linen slices), whatever that means.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #29
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Wasn't it płatna in Polish? AFAIK they put that on the Polish motorway signs. Or does it mean tolled?
Old March 8th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #30
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Coincidence. Romanian is a Romance/Latin language, while Croatian and Polish are Slavic.
Not exactly. You're right about Romanian being a Romance language, but it is also unique in that group because it has had a lot of influence from Slavic languages, including having a grammar that has some complex elements that are present in Slavic languages but absent from other Romance languages.

It is not a coincidence that "plata" means "payment", but rather a consequence of the influence of Slavic languages on Romanian.

Quote:
Not to mention some other completely different languages, i.e. Hungarian, Greek, Turkish, Albanian.
Hehe yeah, Europe has several language groups. However, Greek and Albanian do not really belong in this list (assuming it lists the "completely different" languages), since they are Indo-European, unlike Hungarian and Turkish, which are indeed in their own respective language groups, and neither is Indo-European.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
Wasn't it płatna in Polish? AFAIK they put that on the Polish motorway signs. Or does it mean tolled?
Yeah, it's just a different inflected form of the word, which probably means "for pay/tolled" (using my knowledge of Russian that's what it sounds like).
Old March 8th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #31
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

You're right about Slavic influence on Romanian, I just wanted to say that Romanian (including Slavic influence) is still quite different from Slavic languages. As for Greek and Albanian, you're right too, but you have to admit they are still very different from other Indo-European languages (including different alphabet of Greek). Now back on topic.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #32
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

OK

In Israel, parking restrictions are indicated using the standard European signs (i.e. the blue one with the red lines), but also via curb patterns:
Red + white: no parking.
Blue + white: parking with a permit only (pay parking).
Red + yellow: no stopping (usually at bus stops).

For depictions, look at the bottom of this page:
http://www.israel-travel-tips.com/en...%20in%20Israel

In Ontario, signs are used to indicate parking/stopping regulations, exactly like previously described by the person from Vancouver. I've never seen curb colours being used for that purpose here.
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #33
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

I was wonderwing to what extend people in different countries obey parking rstrictions? Is it up to driving habits or whether parking places are well designed or not?

In Poland the problem is both - there are not many parkings, so people park wherever they want, and when it happens to be one, many people do not know how to park there

PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #34
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

I think it depends on enforcement and general behaviour of the population. If the chances are big that you get towed, you'll leave the thought of parking illegal out of your mind. If nobody enforces it, and everybody just parks somewhere, it's gonna be a mess.

However, in my previous neighborhood, there was insufficient parking (new suburban area, so far for Dutch planning), and people just parked on the green spaces, and so did I.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #35
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
However, in my previous neighborhood, there was insufficient parking (new suburban area, so far for Dutch planning), and people just parked on the green spaces, and so did I.
In my Norwegian neighbourhood, there are virtually no parking spaces (when it was built in the 50s, 1 parking space per 5 flats was deemed sufficient...), and even with street parking, it's pretty bad. Still, the municipal parking guards enforce laws with great care and with utter disregard for the very real lack of parking spaces. It was better for a couple of years, but now it's back to utter badness.

Otherwise, rules in Norway are similar to most of Europe, very similar if not identical to Sweden.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #36
Ban.BL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

I didn´t find any decent sign for my country, but in BiH we are using normal international signs you can see it on this picture on the left side, though very small

or here

Last edited by Ban.BL; March 11th, 2009 at 01:07 PM.
Ban.BL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #37
Di-brazil
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Brazil:

Di-brazil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #38
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

United States parking signs (from the Fed MUTCD)

These are the general parking regulation signs seen through out the US. However, state and local governments often make variations on the signs above.

Last edited by brewerfan386; January 18th, 2011 at 07:59 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #39
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
Quite a coincidence, because plata means money in Spanish, at least the South American variety. In many Romance languages "plat" means something precious. "Platinum" for instance derives from "plata", and it means "little silver".
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #40
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Prata is Portuguese for silver
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote